Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:35:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  new material update...or lack there of
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new material update...or lack there of  (Read 40367 times)
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 07:37:58 AM »

The REAL question is why Axl hasnt worked on new songs with them

That probably depends on what came first.

Did they work on existing material because they didn't write together as Slash claims, or did they not write together because they already had existing material?

/jarmo

Existing material from an old line-up
It's cool to listen to some songs from old line-ups redone by this line-up. To me Duff and Slash make those song sound more rock and cooler than the Chinese Democracy sound which, as I said before, it's good but no the sound I fell in love with Guns N' Roses. Not the hard-rock guitar driven sound that made this band huge back in the 80s and 90s. But a whole new album done by Chinese Democracy era reworked by Slash and Duff? I can't see that happening. In my opinion, and it's only my opinion as well as you have yours, they will eventually get to a similar point as back in the 95-96-97 when they disbanded because they couldn't get to work together

Man you are always on Axl's side. You always find ways to defend Axl no matter what he does.
Of course Axl doesn't owe us nothing. If he doesn't want to write new music for the rest of his life it's ok. Of course he can do whatever the fuck he wants to do. I would love to listen to new stuff from him as well as other artist like Izzy, who seems to be retired from the music

In my opinion, Axl not working on new songs wit Duff and Slash is because either
a) he lost the motivation/passion for creatin' music
b) ego (he only want to work on his songs)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 07:41:44 AM by DAVE ROCK » Logged

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2021, 08:46:48 AM »

At least it's some honest visibility into what's happening or in this case, not happening.
What he said should surprise no one.
Thx for posting
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2021, 08:56:17 AM »

The REAL question is why Axl hasnt worked on new songs with them

That probably depends on what came first.

Did they work on existing material because they didn't write together as Slash claims, or did they not write together because they already had existing material?

/jarmo

they have done nothing new togheter (and axl hasn’t make something new on the old material slash and duff have reworked) it’s pretty simple. Axl himself said in that china exchange thing that he would have had more fun in making movie tracks than playing with gnr. With that mindset and his historical musical laziness it’s easy math. Enjoy these songs, we won’t have a new album soon or at all.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:04:36 AM by ITARocker » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2021, 09:40:45 AM »

In my opinion, Axl not working on new songs wit Duff and Slash is because either

a) No
b) No. If he was so concerned with that, he wouldn't even allow them to play on those songs and put their personal touches on them.

they have done nothing new togheter (and axl hasn’t make something new on the old material slash and duff have reworked) it’s pretty simple. Axl himself said in that china exchange thing that he would have had more fun in making movie tracks than playing with gnr. With that mindset and his historical musical laziness it’s easy math. Enjoy these songs, we won’t have a new album soon or at all.

That sounds like most people.

You have a job, and a hobby/hobbies. If you're fortunate enough, you enjoy working. But chances are you do your hobby/hobbies for fun....  Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2021, 10:19:47 AM »

Jarmo, not ragging on you but don’t you see it as odd that Slash is able to release a new album with a tour yet GnR seemingly struggle to do so? Or is it the case that GnR simply doesn’t want to release a record? In regards to GnR music, Slash said not all that long ago that it’s difficult to figure out how best to put music out there, yet he’s almost contradicting himself by getting an album out with SMKC with relative ease.

For me, I have to ask myself why this is. It’s obviously great that we’re getting the EP, but 2 new songs and 2 ‘old’ live songs  nearly 6 years into the reunion is considerably light in terms of product output.

What’s your opinion on why there’s no record nor any realistic likelihood of a record in the foreseeable?

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
dsaddler78
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2021, 10:23:17 AM »

I suppose we are all just speculating as to the reason's why they haven't wrote anything new together. So guess away. However, what Slash said has to be concerning! Even to  the most hardcore Axl apologist. The reunion started 5 years ago and Slash wrote an entire solo album. 5 years and collectively as a band they have wrote nothing. As others have said, If they never write new music together again then so be it. They owe the fans nothing. 2 +2 still equals 4 in my world so I don't ever expect a new album.
sworrm
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2021, 10:32:12 AM »

It’s been obvious for a long time now Gnr is a business a money making machine , not a band with anything to say anymore really , really small catalogue but it is what it is . It’s a shame but is it a big deal ? 🤷🏻‍♂️. We all thought once upon a time Axl would be considered a Lennon/McCartney or Freddie Mercury legendary songwriter but for whatever reason he doesn’t seem interested in releasing music . I’m sure he just tours to keep himself in the lifestyle he’s become accustomed to . Fair play to him , I’ve seen em 12 times that’ll do for me 👍🏽
Trash Panda
Headliner

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2021, 11:38:44 AM »

Sad. This band is washed creatively. They've been on this tour for 5 years and they haven't written a single song together? That really says everything. You think just by mistake they would have written a song. This really should put the nail in any further album speculation. And no, it is not encouraging that they are dusting off 20 year old songs that Axl isn't capable of singing anymore. The chorus on Hard Skool is incredible, but that singer no longer exists. Slash said it very clearly: they haven't written one fucking song. The end. This is not a creative venture. It's a corporation content to make money off existing material. And that's fine. As a fan that likes it when artists create new things, it sucks.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2021, 01:58:06 PM »

Jarmo, not ragging on you but don’t you see it as odd that Slash is able to release a new album with a tour yet GnR seemingly struggle to do so? Or is it the case that GnR simply doesn’t want to release a record? In regards to GnR music, Slash said not all that long ago that it’s difficult to figure out how best to put music out there, yet he’s almost contradicting himself by getting an album out with SMKC with relative ease.

For me, I have to ask myself why this is. It’s obviously great that we’re getting the EP, but 2 new songs and 2 ‘old’ live songs  nearly 6 years into the reunion is considerably light in terms of product output.

What’s your opinion on why there’s no record nor any realistic likelihood of a record in the foreseeable?

It's not odd.

I think the EP is just a way for them to release the two songs that they put out this year in a physical way. Nothing more.

Some of us still enjoy buying physical records.

I don't think they are done releasing new music after these two songs.

I hope they keep doing what they have done. Releasing songs, and then maybe put them on an album. But considering there's no tours until 2022, and that Slash will be busy with his other project, maybe we will have to wait a little while before the next GN'R release...  Huh

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2021, 02:54:02 PM »

If gnr’s modus operandi is to only release new music during a tour then yes, it will be a while before any more new music sees the light of day.

Personally, I don’t see why this has to be the case. I mean, yes, they obviously played Hard Skool and Absurd on the recent tour, but there was no proceeding fanfare and no accompanying promotion. Why not release an EP or even a new song once every 6-8 weeks? It would keep interest alive and the hard cores happy. Would also keep GnR in the media focus which would also help ticket sales next year.

Just my $0.02

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2021, 05:40:12 PM »

well, reading all these posts, I remember what I thought to myself yeeeaaars ago :

you want new music? a new album? easy : stop going to the shows until GNR makes
a new album and go to tour to promote it.

simple. effective.

a pretty good way to push creativity  hihi

now it's too late because of the $$ generated with the reunion anyway.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
axlroses
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2021, 06:33:42 PM »

I don’t want to stop going to the shows..everyone said they will never get back together..wrong…will never release new music…wrong…we will see where the years ahead takes them
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2021, 10:31:47 PM »

In my opinion, and it's only my opinion as well as you have yours, they will eventually get to a similar point as back in the 95-96-97 when they disbanded because they couldn't get to work together

Did you not read any of the comments pointing out that they have other outlets for writing? In 1996 they were all at the peak of their fame/egos and drug habits. To act like the conditions are the same today is ridiculous. In fact, they've almost all said before that the issue was not a matter of creative differences.

If A were true, they wouldn't have bothered releasing Hard Skool. If B were true, they wouldn't have played Slither and HS wouldn't have Slash's own entire mid-section added to it.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2021, 10:40:38 PM »

Jarmo, not ragging on you but don’t you see it as odd that Slash is able to release a new album with a tour yet GnR seemingly struggle to do so? Or is it the case that GnR simply doesn’t want to release a record? In regards to GnR music, Slash said not all that long ago that it’s difficult to figure out how best to put music out there, yet he’s almost contradicting himself by getting an album out with SMKC with relative ease

If they didn't want to release anything at all, why would they even be talking about it? Why would Axl have talked about doing a CD 2 before the reunion happened? I think it's pretty obvious Axl still wants to release the CD 2 tracks, and that's the difficulty Slash was talking about; how do you market those? If you just put them out as a new album but with the previous lineup, people will be confused and disappointed. If you re-record them all, then it's even more of a weird situation where you have hybrid songs from both eras and how do you explain that to the mainstream audience? I think releasing them as singles is their way of getting them out, but not billed as "The New Album" which comes with a lot of expectations. So clear out the cupboards with discrete singles so you can have the actual album be 100% new collaborative material.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2021, 03:14:05 AM »

Jarmo, not ragging on you but don’t you see it as odd that Slash is able to release a new album with a tour yet GnR seemingly struggle to do so? Or is it the case that GnR simply doesn’t want to release a record? In regards to GnR music, Slash said not all that long ago that it’s difficult to figure out how best to put music out there, yet he’s almost contradicting himself by getting an album out with SMKC with relative ease

If they didn't want to release anything at all, why would they even be talking about it? Why would Axl have talked about doing a CD 2 before the reunion happened? I think it's pretty obvious Axl still wants to release the CD 2 tracks, and that's the difficulty Slash was talking about; how do you market those? If you just put them out as a new album but with the previous lineup, people will be confused and disappointed. If you re-record them all, then it's even more of a weird situation where you have hybrid songs from both eras and how do you explain that to the mainstream audience? I think releasing them as singles is their way of getting them out, but not billed as "The New Album" which comes with a lot of expectations. So clear out the cupboards with discrete singles so you can have the actual album be 100% new collaborative material.

Makes sense, but as I said in another post, I would love for GnR to keep up the momentum with single/EP releases. A break in touring doesn’t mean they have to have a break in releasing new songs. A really good (and let’s be honest, pretty monumental) precedent has been set here by GnR by their release of Hard Skool and Absurd on a surprise basis.

All I’m saying is I really hope they keep that up. It’s a long time until the European shows.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2021, 08:35:26 AM »

There's no lack of material.

Now, the kind of material people want, and what exists, might not be the same thing. Once again, it comes down to assuming things. Because when this is true, then that must happen. No, it doesn't....

Like I said earlier, nowhere in this interview does he explain why. Yet, the assumption is clear....

Does it might it right? Not necessarily.

On another note, if GN'R were to keep releasing songs between now and the next tour, do you think it would take focus away from Slash's project and/or would people keep asking for more once the tour actually starts in June?

/jarmo

DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2021, 08:55:04 AM »

Now, the kind of material people want, and what exists, might not be the same thing. Once again, it comes down to assuming things. Because when this is true, then that must happen. No, it doesn't....

Like I said earlier, nowhere in this interview does he explain why. Yet, the assumption is clear....

Does it might it right? Not necessarily.

On another note, if GN'R were to keep releasing songs between now and the next tour, do you think it would take focus away from Slash's project and/or would people keep asking for more once the tour actually starts in June?

/jarmo

rofl rofl hihi ok

Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2021, 09:32:59 AM »

/jarmo

No, I don’t. if anything, quite the opposite (certainly I think in terms of bringing both bands onto people’s radar). To think otherwise would be to assume that people will choose one thing over the other, or maybe only have money to buy one thing over the other. Do other artists take other music being released into account when figuring out a release date? If that were the case then November album releases wouldn’t be a favoured time of year to put new music out surely?

Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2021, 09:38:33 AM »

Now, the kind of material people want, and what exists, might not be the same thing. Once again, it comes down to assuming things. Because when this is true, then that must happen. No, it doesn't...

/jarmo

To be fair I don’t think anyone’s making any assumptions and any resulting (incorrect) conclusions. I think people are just hungry for new music. In b4 there’ll always be complaints that the music isn’t x, y or z, but that’s life. You can’t please all of the people all of the time.

I stand by my comment made earlier in this thread. Two new songs after almost 6 years of being reunited is considerably light by any band’s standards.

I’m not trying to be a hard-ass. I just love this fuckin band and when I saw 2 single releases I (quite understandably) assumed an album was practically imminent. Now we’re stuck once again at the possibility of at least 9 months before even the merely possibility of hearing new tracks. Very frustrating.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2021, 01:40:56 PM »

No, I don’t. if anything, quite the opposite (certainly I think in terms of bringing both bands onto people’s radar). To think otherwise would be to assume that people will choose one thing over the other, or maybe only have money to buy one thing over the other. Do other artists take other music being released into account when figuring out a release date? If that were the case then November album releases wouldn’t be a favoured time of year to put new music out surely?

So you don't think the two are kinda fighting for the same audience?

/jarmo

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: