Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  books
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: books  (Read 4015 times)
cineater
Legend

« on: August 02, 2022, 06:25:03 PM »

Take a little trip and never leave town.  I kind of try any book that comes my way.  I'm in a group where we pass books around so I never know what I'm getting.

Just discovered Nelson DeMille.  Old books, The Gold Coast and The Gate House.  Books about the mafia, guy in midlife crisis and totally changing his life he was bored with.  What's kind of cool is he gives a history of what happen with all those big money makers, their mansions and the wealth through the generations.  The funny thing is, you get to a few generations beyond the money makers, they think they are American nobility, looking down their nose at the types who made that money.  And they are pretty much worthless individuals, just living off the money, never trying to do anything real.

His books are kind of not getting your interest in the first few chapters so you skip and read the last chapter.  Then you have to read the whole book to find out how the story got there.  hihi
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 06:28:53 PM by cineater » Logged

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
cineater
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 09:40:00 PM »

I guess whoever put these books in rotation was into Long Island wealth.  I read another book by Anderson Cooper about the Vanderbilt's.  He's Gloria's son.  I'm assuming he's where the money ran out.  Said his mother spent one fortune, made another and spent that too.   hihi  I'm assuming from the not so nice things he said about that side of the family, he's a little pissy about the generations before spending all that money.   hihi

Anyway, more information about the mansions.  These were all built before income taxes and the stock market crash of 29.  They went over to Europe and took archeology pieces and put them in these houses.  It's not just the huge size of the places but they spent tons of money on the décor.  When the money starts to run out or they don't want to pay the property taxes some get donated and are preserved.  Some are just leveled, decor included, for development and some are just left sitting there to fall down.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 12:32:09 AM »

"Mom You Just Need to Get Laid"  Thought this might be a funny book about dating but I can't decide who's more scary the lady or the guys she dates.  Half way through the book and she still hasn't gotten laid.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 03:10:17 AM »

Got Terry Brook's new fantasy novel, Daughter of Darkness.  Similar story line as another book I'm waiting on to come out in November, part human finding their way to the land of the Fey, their other part.  The land of the Fey is always fighting for survival against the bad guy.  Generally takes them 3 novels to win.  This is the second in the trilogy.   

I liked Jar-Jar and Hook.  They tried to put another trilogy of his into a weekly series but even he didn't like how they did it.  His earlier works are better but he's still good.  Now the long wait for book 3.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 12:30:17 AM »

Oh yeah that's why I quit reading Terry Goodkind.  He doesn't just kill you.  It's all guts and gore.  Geez, just kill them off and get on with the story.

willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 07:56:36 AM »

Can't remember the last time I read a book. Tried to read Duff's Wifes. Gave up. lol Not my cup of tea.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 11:20:34 PM »

Mom got a new book, Where Are They Buried.  Pretty interesting.  Not only tells you where they are at but some interesting facts about them.  I was surprised to see Picasso died in the 70's.  Thought he was from way earlier than that.  Looking forward to reading it.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 12:59:05 AM »

I'm reading a book about the history of the area I live in.  It's writings from the people during that time.  I did not know that free black people owned slaves.  Never occured to me. 

So much of history is told from the perspective of events, mostly wars, you don't get to hear about daily life.  We think of those times as kind of undeveloped,if that's the right word, but they had fully functioning lives and society.  Got me thinking, if there is other life out there, if they look at our planet, call us the war planet, there's always a few some where, and think we aren't evolved enough to be involved with us.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 05:48:50 PM »

Picture from 1900 of a farmer in overalls holding a piece for farm equipment to cut wheat.  The caption below the picture reads:

"The uniform of the man shown does not depict the style of 1870 which would have been a broad brimmed hickory hat, flannel shirt, red handkerchief around neck, jeans pants, whiskers and clay pipe."

I did not know the farmers in 1870 had any fashion sense.   hihi  They certainly lost it by 1900 from the pic.  The whiskers is what got a chuckle out of me. Became fashionable again in the 80's.  And that clay pipe reminded me of Father Knows Best.  Nothing new in fashion accessories for men.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2023, 11:56:46 PM »

"a United States sloth".  Apparently this is the person who arrests you for drinking during prohibition.  They refer to the the time before prohibition as "the wet days".

Interesting book.  They are building the first railroad bridge out of cast iron.  Tried a hanging span where the cables broke and had to redesign the bridge.  Two "cyclones" in one year whipping out sections of town.  Flooding and a major ice storm.  Talk about sledding as a big activity yet these days we don't get that much snow.  A beautiful spot everybody went to that was torn down by constructing the first subdivision that didn't sell.  The automated trucks replacing horse drawn wagons.  They don't really mention cars but I can see them in the pictures.  Hughes crowds "sending the boys" off to war.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 12:09:54 AM »

On to another history book about the area I live in.

Before the American continents were discovered, just rumor, speculation, ancient history, they were called Mundus Novus, New World.  A lone German guy came up with the name America after an explorer Amerigo, Vespucci.  America being the female version of Amerigo because all continents were female names, don't know why, male fascination of the female body?  Don't know why one German guy got to name it.  The Germans weren't even in the exploration business.  Some people wanted Columbia after Columbus but America stuck.  And then when they found it was really big, north and south.

By the way, it was the Spanish who brought black slavery to the Americas to conquer to natives.  Actually they were pretty bloodthirsty in domineering the peaceful, welcoming Indian populations.  The name Indian came from a mistake by the explorer because he thought he was in India.  His comment was "they would make fine servants".

cineater
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2023, 09:53:04 PM »

Not caring too much for the new book that goes along with the other book.  Covers the 1600's to the 1800's.  Mostly just names and places they explored.  The French and the Spanish doing all the work and then the Brits come along and take it all away from them.  I like the French way of doing things.  They come along, claim the area and work to make peace with the native people and bring them into society.  Of course, get them to help fight the Brits.  The Brits and Spanish come in and conquer, make slaves of everybody or run them off.  The native people keep getting displaced and moving further west fighting each other for a homeland.  Everybody's goal is the Northwest Passage.  A waterway from one coast to the other which isn't there.  A lot of the names of places are modified names the natives had for them.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2023, 01:19:33 AM »

Finally got from mom Where Are They Buried?  How Did They Die?  Says something about fitting ends.  Must be referring to Al Capone's name on the cover.  580 pages, must have found everybody.  The last person is Alvin York.  No clue who that is but interesting name.  Going to take me awhile to find out.  hihi

cineater
Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2023, 02:39:29 PM »

You learn a lot from the dead.  I always wondered how wrestling became a thing and why it was so overacted.  Apparently this guy, Lou Albano, and Cyndi Lauper got the ball rolling.  He was around in the WWF playing a thug type.  Got to managing other wrestlers and had them develop personas.  He met Cyndi on a flight, became friends and appeared in some of her videos.  They were lifelong friends.  Got her into wrestling, I remember that, and developed Rock n Wrestling.  It took off from there.  He got pushed to the side as it grew by people with better personas.  That's the guy to blame for that.   hihi

cineater
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2023, 11:53:26 PM »

I'm almost out of the famous sports figures.  I'm not really into sports.  Can't decide if the golden age of baseball and boxing is over or if they are still going strong and those famous people haven't died yet.  Not many mentions of football players, some basketball folks.  I think that's because their golden age was ushered in later and those folks aren't dead.   hihi  There is one cemetery out east that gets mentioned several times, mostly with dead Yankee players.  The baseball cemetery, Yankees rule.

Next section is movie and TV stars.  Probably is going to be half the book.  There's many of them, all dead, very big golden age.  There is a famous cemetery on the west coast for all the Hollywood people.  I'm expecting them to be there.  They should have some interesting tombstones.  The one baseball pitcher, Jim "Catfish" Hunter has a pretty cool tombstone with a big baseball.  They even named the street in the cemetery after him.  Don't know who he is but his tombstone is cool.  Is that weird I'm interested in what the tombstones look like?  hihi

The guy who did the Warner Brother's voices, Mel Blanc, has the Porky the Pig, "That's all folks"

Still on the Hollywood people.  Some really important people I never heard of, died in the 50's and 60's.  You have to wonder how long that star shines.  Everybody knew them then but they have been lost in history.

I'm beginning to see why it took mom so long to read this book.  It's a little depressing to read about so many deaths.  People's lives reduced to a page in a book.

Done with Hollywood and onto Original Women.  The first one is Maya Angelou.  I assume a black woman.  She was sexually abused at age 7.  The guy convicted but only sentenced to one day in jail.  When he got out he was beaten to death presumably by her uncles.  She was so traumatized by the beating she didn't speak for 6 years.  She wrote, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.  Went on to have an amazing life.  Might have to check out a book on her.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 11:12:10 PM by cineater » Logged

cineater
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2023, 07:51:09 PM »

Back to the death book.

Most of the book is dead musicians.  Most dying before their time due to their lifestyle.  Nobody dying on stage.  There's a lesson there, never leave the stage.  hihi

Nobody knows where Freddie Mercury's ashes are.

Tom Petty wanted to be a musician after meeting Elvis.  His name in the book is followed by Elvis' name.  Contrary to the rumor that Elvis fell off the toilet and hit his head is not what happen.

Seriously, do you really believe nobody saw Jim Morrison's dead body but his wife and his doctor?  Who took him out of the tub and put him in the coffin?  Or you think he made his own coffin and had it delivered to the graveyard to fake his death?  Conspiracy theories, either way, the guy still made the book.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2023, 03:14:24 PM »

Thought this was interesting on Bo Diddley.  As he lay dying his family sang "Walk Around Heaven".  He gave a thumbs up and died after his last words, barely audible, "Wow, I'm going to heaven".  I read his bio, I don't see any reason he shouldn't but I guess he was surprised.   hihi  That one tech guy said something along those lines with his last words.  He was looking at something and excitedly said wow, WOW!  And died.  Lets hope there is a wow at the end for the rest of us.  Cheesy

So there you go.  The thing you say upon entering heaven is wow.  Whether it be, hey "I'm surprised you're letting me in" or "I'm damn impressed", better leave off the damn.   hihi

cineater
Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2023, 08:55:14 PM »

Alvin York was the last person in the book.  Sergeant York if you recognize the movie.  No Chuck Berry, I'm surprised.

End of the death book.  You know, everybody dies in the end.

Beka handed me a stack of books from the book fair.  Will check those out tonight.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2023, 12:52:19 AM »

Beka gave me a bag of Amish stories and various other Christian writers.  I'm okay with the books.  The stories are good and not to preachy.

So the woman is struggling with why she has so much shit when others have so little and why she keeps upgrading her shit and she's still not happy.  She's met some of society's outcasts, is afraid of them but wants to help by upgrading their stuff with her old stuff that is really closer to brand new.  She crashes her car one night when a kangaroo runs out in front of her in California, wtf?  Meets these two old women.  They are trying to teach her it's not about the stuff, it's about accepting the people as they are.  I'm hung up on where the fuck did the kangaroo come from?  Was it real?  Is she seeing things?  Her teenage son seems to know what it means, clue us in.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2023, 11:37:23 PM »

Sorry, they are in Maryland not California.  She asks if there are any kangaroos in the area.  The answer is no and then everybody drops it.  Really, everybody is going to go with the kangaroo is real and it's not strange and bizzare?  Claim it's a sign from god she should hop out of this life style?  Tell her she's losing her shit and needs to see a shrink?  At least have a concern for the poor kangaroo hopping around in the woods?  Okay fine, lets just go on with the story.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: