Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:59:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is the last version of GN'R more of a business or more of a Rock N' Roll band?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is the last version of GN'R more of a business or more of a Rock N' Roll band?  (Read 1479 times)
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« on: December 05, 2022, 03:48:37 PM »

Hi:  beer

Is this last version of Guns N' Roses more of a business or more of a Rock N' Roll band?

Maybe both?  Lips Sealed

What do you think?

Finding out that Izzy Stradlin would not be part of the 2016 reunion made me consider that making business,i.e, millions of dollars, is "possibly" more important for Axl than making genuine Rock N' Roll music. I advocate for Izzy especially for his HUGE musical contribution to GN'R, becoming the second most important composer of the band, something that most people do not weigh on. His contribution to the future of the band would be priceless for Rock N' Roll music if included.

GN'R also excluded Steven Adler and Matt Sorum, who are passionate musicians, but I honestly do not know why. Maybe because Axl wants to lead GN'R in another musical direction than Appetite, Lies, and the Illusion Albums? It is a possibility.

Some people say that they do not represent a major economic benefit for the GN'R enterprise, so they were left behind. In the case of Izzy, they could not reach an economic deal with him. Axl did not agree to pay him as much as Izzy wanted. But there is a chance Izzy wanted a lot of money.

GN'R management excluded Richard, Melissa, Frank, and even Dizzy Reed, who has been in the band for more than 30 years, from promo ART, leaving Axl, Slash, and Duff on the front of "lithography. The reason for this, 'though, is clear, they do not represent an economic benefit that can be used in marketing.

Axl said in a short interview in 2016, shortly after the reunion, that Slash and Duff started practicing Chinese Democracy songs, without him intervening in that decision, that is to say, without him pushing them to, which could be true. But I consider that before reuniting with Axl and the rest of his bandmates, Duff and Slash, they must have signed a contract with specifications and obligations to fulfill, and it is my belief that playing Chinese Democracy songs were part of that contract because a manager wants to know what his employees' obligations are.

Some people used to say Slash did not play his part in Chinese Democracy songs, in live concerts, with passion, What do you think?

I wonder if this last version of GN'R will have beautiful chemistry in the studio, as they did not choose to work with each other, Axl told them to.

Who owns the name/brand of Guns N' Roses? Is it still Axl? Then Slash and Duff have obligations toward him. This is just my personal belief,  I think that Slash and Duff were almost pushed to record his parts over Silkworms and turn them into "ABSURD", considering the ego of the TOP-HATTED man.

Take care, I will be writing something down later.

Cheers...

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 04:06:05 PM »

It's a business.

Which, by the way, is not a dirty word.  Acts at the level of a Guns N' Roses are moneymaking endeavors by nature.

It's why I always frowned on the term "cash grab".  Know what's a "cash grab"?  Every tour, by every band, EVER.  They aren't touring the world out of the goodness of their hearts.  They are there to make money.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 06:34:25 PM »

As soon as they signed any contract, they became more than just five guys in a band.

It's a business.

Which, by the way, is not a dirty word.  Acts at the level of a Guns N' Roses are moneymaking endeavors by nature.

It's why I always frowned on the term "cash grab".  Know what's a "cash grab"?  Every tour, by every band, EVER.  They aren't touring the world out of the goodness of their hearts.  They are there to make money.

Exactly.

Can anyone name any major level bands/artists who are fine with not making any profit on anything?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 06:43:32 PM »

Some things are more of a cash grab than others, though.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »

Some things are more of a cash grab than others, though.

The KISS coffin (seriously...it's a thing) that's a cash grab.

Musicians plying their trade live is not a cash grab.  It's the job.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 08:17:50 PM »

It's ok for GNR to be a job, but it would be cool if it was also still a creative outlet.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 06:41:04 AM »

To me it's ok as long as they are truly "friends" again. If it was for business only, they could have the reunion done many years before. That said, it has  become pretty fast a "milking the cow show" only  and if nowadays i personally don't care much about a gnr album (they are probably past their prime creative peak), it always saddens me seeing cool musicians who don't create anything. Art is based on making something people can enjoy and there is a point i think you can't call yourself an "artist" anymore.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 03:28:41 PM »

To me it's ok as long as they are truly "friends" again. If it was for business only, they could have the reunion done many years before. That said, it has  become pretty fast a "milking the cow show" only  and if nowadays i personally don't care much about a gnr album (they are probably past their prime creative peak), it always saddens me seeing cool musicians who don't create anything. Art is based on making something people can enjoy and there is a point i think you can't call yourself an "artist" anymore.

I have consistently said the best part of this reunion is that they seem to be having legit fun up there.

The UYI tour will always be the height of the band for me.  Most nights, that's not a happy band on stage.  Slash and Duff are hammered, and Axl is mad at the fucking world.  Those shows seemed like "a job".

I see none of that now.  And the pics I have liked the most are pics of the 3 of them (yes, even including Axl) just backstage chilling.

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 07:34:31 PM »

This is usually my response as well. They were offered millions of dollars to do just one show on many occasions over the years and always rejected it. They didn't get back together until they decided they actually wanted to, on their own terms. The idea that they could have ever reunited and it would have not been a huge draw for ticket sales is just stupid. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy; the evidence that they're only doing it for the money is the money the tour is making. It would have made money regardless of whether they were doing it because they wanted to or just for the money. The argument makes no sense.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 01:40:29 AM »

I thought they did a good job of keeping the fans guessing who was in the band.  Axl has always been loyal, so it was no shock to see Richard and Frank still involved.  This is the best lineup since the AFD days.  This is a business also... Doing box sets of both AFD and UYI is a no brainer... we've got new music in Absurd, Hard Skool and there's more to come.  GnR isn't your ordinary band... They do things their own way.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 01:30:04 PM »

This is usually my response as well. They were offered millions of dollars to do just one show on many occasions over the years and always rejected it. They didn't get back together until they decided they actually wanted to, on their own terms. The idea that they could have ever reunited and it would have not been a huge draw for ticket sales is just stupid. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy; the evidence that they're only doing it for the money is the money the tour is making. It would have made money regardless of whether they were doing it because they wanted to or just for the money. The argument makes no sense.

Agree with this, for the most part.

I will say I was surprised they were able to do stadiums here in the USA.  There are several acts that might be able to fill a stadium in the bigger cities.  But in order for a full blown stadium tour to work, you can't just be able to sell out NYC and LA.  You also need to fill the stadium in Phoenix and Minneapolis.

Let's be real here.  The places GNR was playing were getting smaller and smaller, and that was damn sure not out of the goodness of their hearts.  They could try and put that "Up Close And Personal" spin on matters.  but the reality is that sort of venue was all the replacement line-up could fill.  They had a long way to go to be a major act again. 

If 2016 wound up being full basketball arenas in all cities, and multiple nights in more populous ones, I'd have thought that was about right.  I was shocked (but thrilled) they were selling 40,000 to 50,00o tickets, each show.

Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 04:15:49 PM »

Agree with this, for the most part.

I will say I was surprised they were able to do stadiums here in the USA.  There are several acts that might be able to fill a stadium in the bigger cities.  But in order for a full blown stadium tour to work, you can't just be able to sell out NYC and LA.  You also need to fill the stadium in Phoenix and Minneapolis.

Let's be real here.  The places GNR was playing were getting smaller and smaller, and that was damn sure not out of the goodness of their hearts.  They could try and put that "Up Close And Personal" spin on matters.  but the reality is that sort of venue was all the replacement line-up could fill.  They had a long way to go to be a major act again. 

If 2016 wound up being full basketball arenas in all cities, and multiple nights in more populous ones, I'd have thought that was about right.  I was shocked (but thrilled) they were selling 40,000 to 50,00o tickets, each show.

I very well remember you didn't believe it back around 2016 because we had an argument exactly about it. "Not to be an asshole" but be more optimistic and believe that the band will put something new very soon.  peace

"...It don't really matter..."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 11:22:54 AM »

I very well remember you didn't believe it back around 2016 because we had an argument exactly about it. "Not to be an asshole" but be more optimistic and believe that the band will put something new very soon.  peace

All due respect, that's a consquence free statement, no?

Case in point : Chinese Democracy.  A project that began in 1999, finally released in 2008.  Totally normal, right?

If you dared even question its status during any of the tours, or even complete dark periods like 2003-05, you were treated like you just knocked a blind nun down the stairs for laughs.

So when it finally came out in 2008, can you really say you "called it"?  I suppose.  If your answer to someone doubting its progress on, say, March 24, 2004 was then answered by you saying, "it will be out...4 and a half years from now.  You'll see!"

Someone that put it those terms <spoiler : no one did> can crow.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 11:24:49 AM by D-GenerationX » Logged

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 11:57:42 AM »

To me it's ok as long as they are truly "friends" again. If it was for business only, they could have the reunion done many years before. That said, it has  become pretty fast a "milking the cow show" only  and if nowadays i personally don't care much about a gnr album (they are probably past their prime creative peak), it always saddens me seeing cool musicians who don't create anything. Art is based on making something people can enjoy and there is a point i think you can't call yourself an "artist" anymore.

OK, serious question. And it's not necessarily related just to GnR:

If someone is making art, but not selling it, or its not commercially successful....they're not an artist in your opinion?

I'm just trying to get some context, here.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 04:35:18 PM »

if rock n'roll means to you danger, anti-establishment, insurrection and social criticism, they're not anymore.
but the style of music they play is still rock n'roll.

most part of the time, it's a touring entertainment business.

the guys are probably not friends (but were they even friends at the beginning?), but they get along, they are partners, they share the same company, they have the same interests. does the band feels alive these days? do you feel a great chemistry and camaraderie between members on stage?
apparently it depends of the watcher...in the end that's their problem, or the absence of it.

the thing I regret is that they reunited without giving the fans explanations, what was all about, keeping the whole story for themselves, fans who waited that for decades deserved more than that, really.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2022, 04:48:52 PM »

It is called “showBIZ”.
It’s literally right there
Baked into the word.

Splash

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: