Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:46:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227824 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The General being released (perhaps B-side)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The General being released (perhaps B-side)  (Read 33007 times)
axlroses
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #380 on: December 20, 2023, 09:50:01 AM »

Correct...Management purposely delayed to reunion until 2016 as well.  All their fault.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #381 on: December 20, 2023, 09:04:56 PM »

Id rank the new songs.

1. Perhaps
2. Absurd
3. The General
4. Hard Skool

I have #2 and #4 flipped here.

But I think the biggest gap/drop off (whatever you want to call it) is between 'Perhaps' and whatever you have #2. 

Just think that was so far and away the best effort.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #382 on: December 20, 2023, 09:06:33 PM »

1. The General
2. Perhaps
3. Hard Skool
4. Absurd (Only included for completeness)

Hahaha.

I have it on a GNR singles playlist.  Because I like it?  NO.  Think its a total misfire.

But to a completist asshole, which I am...it needs to be there.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #383 on: December 20, 2023, 09:11:28 PM »

Knowing well that the song were completed and fit the album (like we said) 15 years ago, what's the remaining point? Yep, right. I mean I'm listening to people calling the general a masterpiece like estranged, when the author himself put it on a b-side. Cmon now.

Hahaha.  Seriously.

Strange thing about this fanbase.  They build stuff up based on myth and legend.  "The General" was one of those.

I mean...what did you know?  It was just words.  I mean, if you told me years before I heard it, GNR had a song called 'Madagascar', I have said...OK.  then what?  What do I do with that info right now?

Look at 'Prostitute.  WAY talked up before arrival.  People were pumped.  I happen to really like it, but it doesn't like the reaction matched up to when it was just a rumor.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #384 on: December 20, 2023, 09:16:21 PM »

I gotta be real.

I came at this tune pretty hard, guns hot.  But it has grown on me.

Things like no hook and no solo still annoy me.  But it's actually a pretty well put together production, overall.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #385 on: December 21, 2023, 07:48:49 AM »

Knowing well that the song were completed and fit the album (like we said) 15 years ago, what's the remaining point? Yep, right. I mean I'm listening to people calling the general a masterpiece like estranged, when the author himself put it on a b-side. Cmon now.

Hahaha.  Seriously.

Strange thing about this fanbase.  They build stuff up based on myth and legend.  "The General" was one of those.

I mean...what did you know?  It was just words.  I mean, if you told me years before I heard it, GNR had a song called 'Madagascar', I have said...OK.  then what?  What do I do with that info right now?

Look at 'Prostitute.  WAY talked up before arrival.  People were pumped.  I happen to really like it, but it doesn't like the reaction matched up to when it was just a rumor.

Funny you mention those.

People, who went to shows, had heard parts of both without knowing. The intro used at the shows in 2006 was from The General. The piano intro before November Rain was from Prostitute.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #386 on: December 21, 2023, 06:55:33 PM »

Hahaha.  Seriously.

Funny you mention those.

People, who went to shows, had heard parts of both without knowing. The intro used at the shows in 2006 was from The General. The piano intro before November Rain was from Prostitute.

/jarmo

Heh, I never noticed the Prostitute thing, but I can hear it now
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #387 on: December 21, 2023, 11:48:42 PM »

Funny you mention those.

Holy shit!  That's wild. 

Great call.  Gonna go dig that one up.

Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #388 on: December 22, 2023, 03:35:38 AM »

Hahaha.  Seriously.

Funny you mention those.

/jarmo

Please help me out with that NR intro, I can't seem to find it. What year? It must be before CD came out. I found the rock am ring intro, but I cannot find the resemblance...
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #389 on: December 22, 2023, 07:19:13 AM »

Hahaha.  Seriously.

Funny you mention those.

/jarmo

Please help me out with that NR intro, I can't seem to find it. What year? It must be before CD came out. I found the rock am ring intro, but I cannot find the resemblance...

If you listen to the small piano bit beforehand, you can hear it. The 'for what you might lose' bit just before november rain starts. There's lots of 2006 on youtube
Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #390 on: December 22, 2023, 11:14:58 AM »

Thanks, there is no way I would put those two together rofl
arnarsi
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #391 on: December 22, 2023, 10:46:06 PM »

something that has been puzzling me and that is the last drumming outro part of the song.  Why am I not getting proper snare sound out of Brian´s drums vs the other choruses and outro chorus.

cool kids just do it
arnarsi
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #392 on: December 22, 2023, 10:48:17 PM »

oh shit, forgot to state, but whatever been said, I fuckin´love this song, listened to it at least 100 times and god damn it is good, ducking masterpiece.

cool kids just do it
Silex
Headliner

« Reply #393 on: December 24, 2023, 04:03:15 AM »

https://youtu.be/2yNHOoPi97o?si=Z-eEqzPaEnY2nysl

Vinyl rip. I think this sounds a lot better than the digital release. Especially bass is a lot clearer in the mix.
arnarsi
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #394 on: December 24, 2023, 08:48:25 AM »

Amazing.  You can hear the snare in the end part.

cool kids just do it
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #395 on: December 27, 2023, 08:04:46 AM »

Hahaha.  Seriously.

Funny you mention those.

/jarmo

He did it many times during 2002/07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWbiOtENE90 53:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AValGzOkrg

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #396 on: January 10, 2024, 02:48:24 PM »

Got the Japanese single today. Still no Vinyl. No response from UMG either. No notice that it even shipped. Japanese single is cool though. No issues there.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #397 on: January 11, 2024, 07:05:40 AM »

Got my vinyl yesterday.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #398 on: January 16, 2024, 09:01:30 AM »

Got my Japanese cd as well last week. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
shaundix
Opening Act

« Reply #399 on: January 19, 2024, 04:53:18 AM »

Does anyone actually play their CDs or vinyls?

I got my Perhaps 7" before Christmas, but haven't actually taken it out of the plastic packaging.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: