Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:59:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227821 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Duff podcast - "Gn'R taking 2024 off"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Duff podcast - "Gn'R taking 2024 off"  (Read 4456 times)
shaundix
Opening Act

« on: February 14, 2024, 09:35:19 AM »

Also says solo dates happening "in the fall"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YebwOCjKjck
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 10:41:19 AM »

I never would have guessed 2016-2024 would have been so unproductive.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 01:31:56 PM »

Haven't listened
Is he referring to touring?
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 01:43:29 PM »

Haven't listened
What else do they do?
Oliver
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 02:14:40 PM »

Haven't listened
What else do they do?

New exciting merch?  Tongue
cineater
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 04:08:14 PM »

Can't say they don't deserve a break but I have to agree with Wooody on the unproductive part when it comes to new music.  Duff said he's excited about pursuing a solo endeavor.  Nothing to indicate the "5 guys in the room" for the band to be working together on new stuff.  Sounds like it's a touring band on break and what it will be going forward.  I guess it's good to recognize what you are and let people pursue their passion.  May not be what we want for the band but what the band wants for themselves.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 10:48:15 PM by cineater » Logged

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 06:43:04 AM »

2021: Two singles
2023: Two singles

That's four more singles than they released between 2016 and 2021.

Slash is busy touring, how do people figure they will be able to record when someone is busy elsewhere? It's obvious they decided to take some time off.

This is exactly what some fans asked for. For years it was "Stop touring!". Be careful what you wish for.... These people made the (wrong) assumption that a band on a break from touring equals them being locked in a studio writing another Appetite For Destruction.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 11:54:09 AM »

Yeah, they went their separate ways.  Not assuming a band on break means they are coming back or working on new music.  Not even assuming they are at a full stop.  They're just gone.  Miss you GNR.  Wish you well.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 07:07:22 AM »

Even Duff said it in the interview, they needed to give everyone a break.

People took them touring every year for granted.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 07:57:19 AM »

They've been fairly active since 2016, and we did get some new music last few years. They probably don't want to get burnt out with GNR and have other things they'd like to do at this point.

If you were expecting them to put out a full length album and take over the world like they did 30+  years ago that's not gonna happen. 

No complaints here, its been a very productive handful of years for the band. I expect them to be back in 2025 and they'll be fresh coming off a break. 

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2024, 09:28:53 AM »

They've been fairly active since 2016, and we did get some new music last few years. They probably don't want to get burnt out with GNR and have other things they'd like to do at this point.

If you were expecting them to put out a full length album and take over the world like they did 30+  years ago that's not gonna happen. 

No complaints here, its been a very productive handful of years for the band. I expect them to be back in 2025 and they'll be fresh coming off a break. 

That should have been their mindset.

ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2024, 11:05:51 AM »

Yeah but don't twist reality: they haven't been productive, the songs were there already. 2 added random solos and a couple of bass lines doesn't make them "productive". They followed the easiest path. They just factually turned into a nostalgia touring act, like kiss, rolling stones etc. The difference between these bands is that here the original band melt and there was a 20 years hiatus so fan are obviosly missing new, original material (if we talk about that, it's been 30 years of hiatus): something they will never have. Axl is the laziest guy on earth and knowing that everything depends on him it's game over. And even if they are gonna put out something, it's probably gonna be a huge flop cause they are just old for the majority of the market.. Knowing that it's basically a money driven thing, they don't won't to risk anything at this point. They gonna put out these "old - new" songs whose costs have been absorbed already  by touring and overpriced memorabila and that's it, they gonna put out that fuckin album with all these already released songs and a couple of new ones, maybe sung by duff so Axl won't spend any minute into the studio  rofl. The excuses (if we can talk about excuses, at the end of the day they can do whtever they want) came to an end years ago for any rational guy, all the others are just naive enough to keep believing or are just too involved to describe reality for what it is... But at least i laugh my ass off listening to and reading all the amount of bs perpetrated during all these years.

-  they can't write an album while touring
- they have just ended a tour, they need a a break and after that they gonna make the new album
- oh they announced another tour (that they are not forced into) so maybe after this one they gonna write something new
- oh fuckin covid, what can u do during 1 year and more of covid
-  there's another tour, but i think after that they won't wont go in the studio they have to keep their distances...be safe!!
- another couple of tours with old/new songs released...axl want to release all the cd 2 songs left and after that...
- ah after all these tours they need a break, you're so pathetic if you think they gonna go in the studio to record something...and axl still has all the  cd 2 songs left to release yet
- happy fuckin valentine's day

Yep guys... this is gnr today. What can u expect, really..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 11:07:29 AM by ITARocker » Logged
AXLRIVERS
Headliner

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2024, 01:56:57 PM »

No ones saying they are unproductive in terms of touring. I will go and see them in the UK everytime no matter where. Am I still disappointed they cannot write (and release) one song together , from scratch in nearly 10 years. Absolutely. Am I owed it..nope. would I like it..yup.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2024, 04:02:03 PM »

Yeah but don't twist reality: they haven't been productive, the songs were there already. 2 added random solos and a couple of bass lines doesn't make them "productive". They followed the easiest path. They just factually turned into a nostalgia touring act, like kiss, rolling stones etc. The difference between these bands is that here the original band melt and there was a 20 years hiatus so fan are obviosly missing new, original material (if we talk about that, it's been 30 years of hiatus): something they will never have. Axl is the laziest guy on earth and knowing that everything depends on him it's game over. And even if they are gonna put out something, it's probably gonna be a huge flop cause they are just old for the majority of the market.. Knowing that it's basically a money driven thing, they don't won't to risk anything at this point. They gonna put out these "old - new" songs whose costs have been absorbed already  by touring and overpriced memorabila and that's it, they gonna put out that fuckin album with all these already released songs and a couple of new ones, maybe sung by duff so Axl won't spend any minute into the studio  rofl. The excuses (if we can talk about excuses, at the end of the day they can do whtever they want) came to an end years ago for any rational guy, all the others are just naive enough to keep believing or are just too involved to describe reality for what it is... But at least i laugh my ass off listening to and reading all the amount of bs perpetrated during all these years.

-  they can't write an album while touring
- they have just ended a tour, they need a a break and after that they gonna make the new album
- oh they announced another tour (that they are not forced into) so maybe after this one they gonna write something new
- oh fuckin covid, what can u do during 1 year and more of covid
-  there's another tour, but i think after that they won't wont go in the studio they have to keep their distances...be safe!!
- another couple of tours with old/new songs released...axl want to release all the cd 2 songs left and after that...
- ah after all these tours they need a break, you're so pathetic if you think they gonna go in the studio to record something...and axl still has all the  cd 2 songs left to release yet
- happy fuckin valentine's day

Yep guys... this is gnr today. What can u expect, really..

Rolling Stones is not a nostalgia act. they just released an album !

MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2024, 07:16:30 PM »

A friend of mine after I shared this disappointing news said, "Only GnR can make an album spread over multiple decades without writing a new song and yet have a huge fan base".

Best case scenario would be a late year release of something significant and then an announcement of a tour in early 2025.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2024, 10:24:08 AM »

I'm not convinced that they will never work on new material. I just don't make assumptions on when it will happen.

What amazes me is this obsession with when a song was created and by who. If the three of them sat down before a show somewhere and wrote a song, it's automatically better than the last singles they released? Or it's automatically better than something Axl, Duff or Slash came up with previously?

Basically:

A song written together recently > A song previously started by Axl, Duff or Slash and only finished later

How can you be so sure?

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2024, 12:30:36 PM »

Together is far superior and that doesn't mean a zoom meeting either.  There's a vibe and connection with somebody right in front of you that you work off of.  Listen to Tommy's interview.  Duff referred to continuous working leads to more creativity, output.  You can pick up a piece that you were working on but didn't finish it back then but you bring in stuff from the all that time in between and what's relevant now.  Something Neil Young explains in his book.

That's the short answer.  There's a lot more to explain about human behavior that favors in person for creativity and output.  But what works for one person doesn't work for everybody.  We can talk about it all day long, GNR will do what they do.  I kind of like what Slash and Duff have done.  We can't do it here so we'll do it some other way that suits themselves.  I feel like Axl has the power and control over how GNR does it and what goes on suits him.  Up to the fans to find what suits them for their happy spot with GNR.  Giving unsolicited advice without all the facts or expertise seems to keep most of us entertained.   hihi

I do have a question.  I'm not a singer.  What does Axl do to warm up and cool down his voice for all that time?  Practice his scales?  Holy crap, that's 6 hours, each show of his own voice.  You think he's tired of hearing it after that?   hihi

ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2024, 02:45:24 PM »

I'm not convinced that they will never work on new material. I just don't make assumptions on when it will happen.

What amazes me is this obsession with when a song was created and by who. If the three of them sat down before a show somewhere and wrote a song, it's automatically better than the last singles they released? Or it's automatically better than something Axl, Duff or Slash came up with previously?

Basically:

A song written together recently > A song previously started by Axl, Duff or Slash and only finished later

How can you be so sure?

/jarmo

I think it’s more about closing the circle. Gnr split was so bad that everybody have this feeling of incompleteness . The album could suck obviously, that’s a real risk,  but it’s like seeing what it could have been. We’ve already seen what axl is capable of… we haven’t seen yet what they are capable of all together. And Time goes bye. Releasing 1 song every year doesn’t allow you to gain time, it’s exactly the opposite.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 02:49:47 PM by ITARocker » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2024, 05:23:18 PM »

I think it’s more about closing the circle. Gnr split was so bad that everybody have this feeling of incompleteness . The album could suck obviously, that’s a real risk,  but it’s like seeing what it could have been. We’ve already seen what axl is capable of… we haven’t seen yet what they are capable of all together. And Time goes bye. Releasing 1 song every year doesn’t allow you to gain time, it’s exactly the opposite.

Well, that's a theory. But, here's another one. They split when they were a certain age and at a certain point in their lives. They got back together with experiences and wisdom they didn't have when they split. I mean, some seem to assume that they would produce another Appetite at this point. Is that really a valid assumption to make? They've obviously gained a lot of experience since they made that album. All of us have since 1987.

Together is far superior and that doesn't mean a zoom meeting either.  There's a vibe and connection with somebody right in front of you that you work off of.  Listen to Tommy's interview.  Duff referred to continuous working leads to more creativity, output.  You can pick up a piece that you were working on but didn't finish it back then but you bring in stuff from the all that time in between and what's relevant now.  Something Neil Young explains in his book.

That's the short answer.  There's a lot more to explain about human behavior that favors in person for creativity and output.  But what works for one person doesn't work for everybody.  We can talk about it all day long, GNR will do what they do.  I kind of like what Slash and Duff have done.  We can't do it here so we'll do it some other way that suits themselves.  I feel like Axl has the power and control over how GNR does it and what goes on suits him.  Up to the fans to find what suits them for their happy spot with GNR.  Giving unsolicited advice without all the facts or expertise seems to keep most of us entertained.   hihi

I think the funniest thing that could happen is for them to release songs no one knows when or how they were written! If there were no previously announced song titles or illegally obtained versions of songs, no one would know how to judge the songs. Imagine someone daring to criticize a song they had just written or praise a song written in the 1990s.... hihi

I do have a question.  I'm not a singer.  What does Axl do to warm up and cool down his voice for all that time?  Practice his scales?  Holy crap, that's 6 hours, each show of his own voice.  You think he's tired of hearing it after that?   hihi

I'm assuming there are certain exercises singers do to warm up / cool down.

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2024, 07:03:08 PM »

Here's some warm ups from the School of Rock:  https://www.schoolofrock.com/resources/vocals/9-best-vocal-warm-ups-for-singers
The straw ones look like fun and the motor boat.  hihi

ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2024, 02:49:41 AM »

Here's some warm ups from the School of Rock:  https://www.schoolofrock.com/resources/vocals/9-best-vocal-warm-ups-for-singers
The straw ones look like fun and the motor boat.  hihi
Caruso used to sing the Italian nursery rhyme ‘ San Michele aveva un gallo bianco, rosso, verde e giallo per addomesticarlo gli dava latte e miele’  hihi i use my own version ‘Padre Carlo aveva un gallo Bianco rosso verde e giallo per ammaestrarlo usava pane e miele’ on different octaves and different voices (if u want). He had his own version too  hihi you have to sing this in one breath only, so it helps you with the breath control and the dittongo AE of ammaestrarlo gives you an extra training on vowel modification 😃
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 03:39:31 AM by ITARocker » Logged
shaundix
Opening Act

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2024, 04:44:25 AM »

If at this point in 2023, somebody said “by this time next year, you’ll have officially released versions of Perhaps and the General, plus accompanying music videos for each” people would’ve been legitimately excited.

The same people got exactly that, but continue to complain.

Guns is one of my favourite bands, but my world doesn’t revolve around their output. When they do release something, cool. When they don’t, so what?

Didn’t Axl say something once about how people should live their lives and not waste time waiting for what might or might not come next?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2024, 08:14:25 AM »

Guns is one of my favourite bands, but my world doesn’t revolve around their output. When they do release something, cool. When they don’t, so what?

Yes.

I can understand some fans being frustrated, even by something they have no control over, or they think is "wrong" and needs to be fixed. This is human nature, everyone likes to think they are experts on everything.

Didn’t Axl say something once about how people should live their lives and not waste time waiting for what might or might not come next?

"If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen, you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does, you might get something that works for you — in the end you could win on this either way. But if you're really into waiting, try holding your breath for Jesus 'cause I hear the payoff may be that much greater."

Axl Rose, August 2002

/jarmo

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2024, 12:23:10 PM »

Good time for a Chinese Democracy boxset!!!

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
shaundix
Opening Act

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2024, 12:24:33 PM »

Man, that Axl quote. Says it all.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2024, 02:57:07 PM »

We have AFD, UYI. Still missing "TSI?".... Maybe after that.

confused

/jarmo

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2024, 06:36:56 PM »

Yes.

I can understand some fans being frustrated, even by something they have no control over, or they think is "wrong" and needs to be fixed. This is human nature, everyone likes to think they are experts on everything.

"If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen, you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does, you might get something that works for you — in the end you could win on this either way. But if you're really into waiting, try holding your breath for Jesus 'cause I hear the payoff may be that much greater."

Axl Rose, August 2002

/jarmo

yeah yeah yeah, then he says there's two volumes of chidem left... blablablah hihi

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2024, 09:52:46 PM »

confused

/jarmo

That was a joke….last I checked they don’t sell Chinese Democracy on their official website.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2024, 07:52:50 AM »

confused

/jarmo

That was a joke….last I checked they don’t sell Chinese Democracy on their official website.

Maybe that will change when the boxset is released!  hihi

(Before someone reads too much into that joke, I'm not confirming one will be released. I have no idea).

/jarmo

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2024, 08:13:57 AM »

confused

/jarmo

that's nuts !

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2024, 12:04:07 PM »

It could have something to do with the Slash Duff Axl partnership back in the day but I’m spitballing. They can put the 4 Singles on their because Slash and Duff are involved in the official final product, credits, etc….just guessing but it seems plausible

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2024, 12:25:55 PM »

It could have something to do with the Slash Duff Axl partnership back in the day but I’m spitballing. They can put the 4 Singles on their because Slash and Duff are involved in the official final product, credits, etc….just guessing but it seems plausible

Could be.

Or is it still supposed to be a Best Buy exclusive?  Huh

/jarmo

Oliver
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2024, 02:06:09 PM »

Can we still get a Dr. Pepper when we buy it?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2024, 04:40:44 PM »

Maybe someone can start a GoFundMe page so you can get one?

/jarmo

The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2024, 04:50:34 PM »

/jarmo

But Bucket and Slash don't get one still...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2024, 05:19:09 PM »

/jarmo

But Bucket and Slash don't get one still...

Well, rules are rules... Axl said he would share his free soda with Buckethead back in 2008.

hihi

/jarmo

Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2024, 06:10:31 AM »

/jarmo

That is an interesting observation. I think it has to do with the musical direction that CD has taken. While most of us here appreciate CD, there are loads of nostalgic fans that think that Axl is responsible for the CD musical direction. Asking for fresh music from the whole band is indirectly hoping for GnR music to sound like AFD or UYI did. Will that be the case, I personally doubt it.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2024, 07:54:07 AM »

I kinda suspected that this could be a reason.

But the people involved aren't living in 1991 anymore. On the other hand, a song like Hard Skool, to me, sounds pretty close to "classic GN'R".

UYI and CD were both a mix of styles. I don't think GN'R would stop doing that.

/jarmo

ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2024, 09:27:19 AM »

I kinda suspected that this could be a reason.

But the people involved aren't living in 1991 anymore. On the other hand, a song like Hard Skool, to me, sounds pretty close to "classic GN'R".

UYI and CD were both a mix of styles. I don't think GN'R would stop doing that.

/jarmo

the point is: what can they write togheter from 0? it’s not about how they sound…Slash himself is VERY different from 30 years ago… I doubt he could perform a super melodic solo like in estranged without shredding a little bit, for example. Frank is different … Axl’s voice is different. They gonna sound different in any case. But, again, can they really work on something from 0? Cause like I said, playin a solo here and there on an already written song it’s all another animal
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2024, 10:05:12 AM »

ALL legacy bands are ultimately nostalgia acts, whether they release new albums or not.  If the Rolling Stones play a concert of 50,000 people, maybe 2 of them will be attending to hear the new album, and a large number won't even realize they even had a new album.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2024, 01:55:14 PM »

ALL legacy bands are ultimately nostalgia acts, whether they release new albums or not.  If the Rolling Stones play a concert of 50,000 people, maybe 2 of them will be attending to hear the new album, and a large number won't even realize they even had a new album.

Most bands with new albums out go on tour and play maybe four songs from the album. GN'R doesn't release an album, puts out four singles and played all of them on tour.

the point is: what can they write togheter from 0? it’s not about how they sound…Slash himself is VERY different from 30 years ago… I doubt he could perform a super melodic solo like in estranged without shredding a little bit, for example. Frank is different … Axl’s voice is different. They gonna sound different in any case. But, again, can they really work on something from 0? Cause like I said, playin a solo here and there on an already written song it’s all another animal

Usually when people work together, they give each other feedback.

/jarmo

GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2024, 06:43:55 PM »

This is where it would be nice if Axl spoke to the fans gave us an idea of what his thoughts are on the future of GNR. Im not asking for timelines like when an album is coming out or whens the next single out. But just get a general no pun intended feel for where Axl is does he feel in this Age of music we are in now does it make sense to come out with a full album does he think releasing singles is the way to go? I say this respectfully about Axl but i do wonder what he does have left vocally speaking the man is in his 60s singing songs he did in his 20s and thats gotta be hard on him. I would love nothing more then new music to continue coming out whether singles or an album. But it would be nice to hear from Axl.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2024, 08:43:59 PM »

I think he's learned from past experiences. Even back in the UYI days, they kept saying it would be out in ___ and then in _____ and then later on in _____ .

Now with the Internet and so on, news travels fast, and whatever you say will be used against you. And there are things that are out of your control that will get blamed on you.

Unfortunately.

/jarmo

Bridge
Legend

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2024, 12:46:50 AM »

Most bands with new albums out go on tour and play maybe four songs from the album. GN'R doesn't release an album, puts out four singles and played all of them on tour.

Yes, but that isn't my point.  As I said before, it doesn't really matter if you have new music out or not.

Why do fans in present day come to see the Rolling Stones?  Guns N Roses?  Metallica?  Bruce Springsteen?   In all cases, it's because their old material has stood the test of time, whether there is new material or not.

It's not a matter of right and wrong.  It happens to all bands who reach a certain age.  I just think it's amusing when people try to differentiate their favorite band from other bands by saying "They aren't a nostalgia act!", when in fact 99.9% of fans attend the shows to hear songs from decades ago, whether there is new music or not.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 12:49:23 AM by Bridge » Logged
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2024, 07:45:04 AM »

Yes, but that isn't my point.  As I said before, it doesn't really matter if you have new music out or not.

Why do fans in present day come to see the Rolling Stones?  Guns N Roses?  Metallica?  Bruce Springsteen?   In all cases, it's because their old material has stood the test of time, whether there is new material or not.

It's not a matter of right and wrong.  It happens to all bands who reach a certain age.  I just think it's amusing when people try to differentiate their favorite band from other bands by saying "They aren't a nostalgia act!", when in fact 99.9% of fans attend the shows to hear songs from decades ago, whether there is new music or not.

I disagree. I like the stones new music  Grin It had plenty more plays than GNR new singles.

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2024, 11:26:24 AM »

This is where it would be nice if Axl spoke to the fans gave us an idea of what his thoughts are on the future of GNR. Im not asking for timelines like when an album is coming out or whens the next single out. But just get a general no pun intended feel for where Axl is does he feel in this Age of music we are in now does it make sense to come out with a full album does he think releasing singles is the way to go? I say this respectfully about Axl but i do wonder what he does have left vocally speaking the man is in his 60s singing songs he did in his 20s and thats gotta be hard on him. I would love nothing more then new music to continue coming out whether singles or an album. But it would be nice to hear from Axl.

Duff has said GN'R are taking this year off, but has also referenced a new song that has been worked on. I don't think there is any need to add anything else. As anyone taking a break or on holiday, Axl should just chill, switch off and enjoy life
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2024, 02:58:13 PM »

I got it. Just pointing out that a new album doesn't necessarily mean 100% new setlist because, as you pointed out, most attendees wanna hear the classic hits.

Nowadays it seems like albums are an excuse to tour. Some artists, like the ones you mentioned don't always need a new album to be able to tour. Sometimes they make it about celebrating the past, like "we're playing this album in order in full on this tour"....

/jarmo

Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2024, 02:43:58 PM »

Yeah but they've a huge catalog of Albums behind them and even released a new one last year, GnR have 4 original albums which is pathetic considering how long they've been in existence, Duff and Slash have no problems releasing new music with their side projects shame they can't do that with GnR .
ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2024, 09:57:15 AM »

Yeah but they've a huge catalog of Albums behind them and even released a new one last year, GnR have 4 original albums which is pathetic considering how long they've been in existence, Duff and Slash have no problems releasing new music with their side projects shame they can't do that with GnR .

I would add that at 60/65 years old you can't be perceived as somebody who has something fresh and new to show. People automatically place this band in history in the "worst" meaning of that. The majority of people or fans won't care about new music coming from these "dinosaurs" (it's what they are at this point), music belongs to the younger generations. 20 years ago i didn't care about a new rolling stones album (and mick jagger was younger than axl and I saw him as an old fart, as much as i respected him...). A 20 years old guy don't care about gnr. They had this window just after the reunion, the hype was still there, shows were good but no, let's waste another shitload of time. Again, Is not that centellinating and saving songs keep that hype high, it's the opposite. It's like that they (he) want to show they are doing something, but we all know they aren't doing shit. If Slash would have signed an exclusive contract with gnr he would have left already, all in with the nuts. I know that at a certain age you even want to enjoy your milions and stay in your hivory tower but you've been doing this ever since i can remember...like u said...4 albums. I mean I don't like people who put out 1 album per year, but cmon now. Long story short: my "fear" is that they won't release anything new (apart from, like i said, the 1 album of cd leftovers + a couple of new songs) because they know that the album will never have a great response from the public. So, knowing that the "artistic part" of gnr has probably gone if they don't see any money coming, they would follow the easiest path, they won't risk any money in any case.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2024, 06:30:37 PM »

What’s the point of bitching in every single post? I don’t get it. I really don’t.

ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2024, 02:13:45 AM »

What’s the point of bitching in every single post? I don’t get it. I really don’t.
why don’t you ask the same thing to people who are excited or over excited in every single post? You have to rebalance the world somehow. And you can always skip the answer. Plus I’m a bitch so you got your answer  rofl
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2024, 06:23:29 AM »

Fair enough…

Bridge
Legend

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2024, 10:09:33 AM »

Firstly, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison with GNR and Slash/Duff.  Within their solo projects, Slash and Duff call all the shots about what/when/why to record.  It's much easier when it's not a democracy (Chinese or otherwise, pardon the pun).  With GNR, they have to balance all that with Axl's desires.

Secondly..... how long GNR has been in existence?  It can easily be argued that they didn't exist from 1993-2016.  And even if you count the Chinese Democracy era, you have to factor in that the lineup was ever-changing and never stable -- not a suitable atmosphere for writing and recording.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you.  It's just that I've long since grown accustomed to the fact that GNR have never played by any of the rules or supposed "requirements" that other bands do.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2024, 05:49:47 AM »

You also have to keep in mind that GN'R is a bit bigger than the solo projects. The name carries more weight, more expectations etc. Not just from fans, but also the business side.

/jarmo

reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2024, 02:41:48 PM »

So do you think no singles this year @jarmo?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2024, 06:12:01 AM »

No clue.

If there's no shows, the singles wouldn't really be promoting anything.

/jarmo

reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2024, 07:02:57 AM »

No clue.

If there's no shows, the singles wouldn't really be promoting anything.

/jarmo

Well the logic of when the last ones got released seemed off to me. The week the headlined Glasto seemed the time to release perhaps. The promotion of The General came after the tour.

We know monsters is sitting ready to go & presumably Atlas is done. I was hopeful they might release them this year.

Is there nothing coming to push the renewal of “nightrain” membership?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2024, 07:09:03 AM »

Well the logic of when the last ones got released seemed off to me. The week the headlined Glasto seemed the time to release perhaps. The promotion of The General came after the tour.

We know monsters is sitting ready to go & presumably Atlas is done. I was hopeful they might release them this year.

Is there nothing coming to push the renewal of “nightrain” membership?

Perhaps did come out during the North American leg. The General was unfortunately delayed until after the tour.

Nightrain will have new merchandise packages for 2024. Details will be announced when they are finalized.

/jarmo

slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2024, 12:31:38 PM »

I’ve kinda moved past the idea that there will ever be a new album.
As fans we’ll never understand how some bands put out new music every year or two and GNR can tour for eight years and not get 10 tracks together for a record. Hell, that last Rolling Stones album was awesome!

Instead they all go do their side projects that no one outside the die hards care about. Sorry, but even if I like some of Slash’s and Duff’s solo work, there is a part of me that resents it. They’re putting their efforts into this stuff rather than GNR. And Axl, a true legend in every sense of the word, but it’s like the guy is allergic to recording studios. Yeah we’ve got four reworked songs released over the past eight years. That’s one song every two years.

They’re just gonna do whatever, who gives a shit if the fans want to hear what they come up with. That’s fine, I hope they are happy with their legacy and their lives. Every song that gets leaked or released is a gift we cherish. But I just don’t think we’ll ever see an album from them. Who knows if they are even capable of making one together?  Yeah I’d love it more than my dog if they put one out, but they don’t seem interested in it. And that’s OK.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
cineater
Legend

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2024, 03:46:19 PM »

I’ve kinda moved past the idea that there will ever be a new album.
As fans we’ll never understand how some bands put out new music every year or two and GNR can tour for eight years and not get 10 tracks together for a record. Hell, that last Rolling Stones album was awesome!

Instead they all go do their side projects that no one outside the die hards care about. Sorry, but even if I like some of Slash’s and Duff’s solo work, there is a part of me that resents it. They’re putting their efforts into this stuff rather than GNR. And Axl, a true legend in every sense of the word, but it’s like the guy is allergic to recording studios. Yeah we’ve got four reworked songs released over the past eight years. That’s one song every two years.

They’re just gonna do whatever, who gives a shit if the fans want to hear what they come up with. That’s fine, I hope they are happy with their legacy and their lives. Every song that gets leaked or released is a gift we cherish. But I just don’t think we’ll ever see an album from them. Who knows if they are even capable of making one together?  Yeah I’d love it more than my dog if they put one out, but they don’t seem interested in it. And that’s OK.

Not more than the dog!   hihi

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2024, 05:47:30 PM »

Well, I don't agree with you on that. I do think there'll be an album. I just don't know when, or expect one without any kind of confirmation that this is the plan.

Chinese was gonna come out because Axl had talked about it multiple times. Made no sense to me not to release it. This time, we haven't really heard any confirmation (yet). They've mentioned wanting to do it, but nothing concrete, and wanting to release songs they have worked on.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: