Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  GNN - GN'R News Network
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses finally sees a new album on the horizon
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses finally sees a new album on the horizon  (Read 16806 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: November 22, 2002, 04:36:20 PM »

Friday, November 22, 2002

John Soeder
Plain Dealer Pop Music Critic

Mark the words of keyboardist Dizzy Reed: The new Guns N' Roses album will see the light of day - finally! - in 2003.

It's called "Chinese Democracy." But a more fitting title may have been "Appetite for Procrastination."

The oft-delayed project has been in the works for years. It should be in stores by June, according to Reed.

"There are just a few odds and ends left to do - a couple of finishing touches, a couple of vocals - and we need to mix it," he said.

In the meantime, GN'R - long MIA, except for a handful of one-off gigs - is mounting its first North American tour since 1993. The hard-rock group, fronted by enigmatic live wire Axl Rose, performs Sunday at Gund Arena.

Speaking by phone last week from a Chicago hotel, Reed said it feels "utterly fantastic" to be back on the road.

"It's the right time to get out there and to let people know there's still rock 'n' roll to be played," he said. "People seem to be having fun. And so are we."

Granted, neither the band nor its fans had much fun at General Motors Place in Vancouver, B.C., where the tour was supposed to get under way Nov. 7. A riot ensued when the venue canceled the opening-night show at the last minute because there was no sign of Rose.

"Axl was en route," said Reed, who was backstage with other band members in Vancouver before all hell broke loose. Disgruntled concertgoers pelted police and security guards with rocks and smashed windows at the arena.

"It had little to do with us and everything to do with the owners of the building," Reed said. "They panicked and pulled the plug."

Rose & Co. did perform the following night in Tacoma, Wash. Two weeks into the tour, they've been getting mixed reviews, with some accounts mentioning half-full venues.

"Some shows weren't sellouts, but I wouldn't call them half-full," Reed said. "The people who were there were having a great time. They were losing their minds. That's what counts to me."

Rose, who co-founded GN'R in the mid- '80s, and Reed, who joined in 1990, are the only holdovers from the band's pre-grunge heyday left in the lineup.

They're joined by drummer Brian "Brain" Mantia (formerly of Primus), bass player Tommy Stinson (Replacements), keyboardist Chris Pitman (Replicants) and three guitarists: Richard Fortus (Psychedelic Furs), Robin Finck (Nine Inch Nails) and Buckethead, a masked man who sports a KFC bucket on his head.

"It's funny - if you took any pair of us, none of us would've started a band together," said Reed, 39. "We've had to work hard at the chemistry. But everyone is so talented, it works. You add Axl and it works even better.

"In the old band, I came along a bit later, when the chemistry was already established. It grew out of playing clubs and bars in Hollywood. I used to go to all the shows. I saw it happen."

In a separate interview, Stinson said the motley new members of GN'R have at least one thing in common: They want to make rock 'n' roll history.

"This has never been done before," he said. "The lead singer takes the band name, for something as big as Guns N' Roses was, and continues with an entirely different lineup - no one has really done it, certainly not with any success. So there's a lot riding on this."

Four ex-members of GN'R - Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Izzy Stradlin - have been auditioning singers for a new band of their own, although Rose holds the rights to the Guns N' Roses name.

"I wish them the best," Reed said. "If they want to go out and hit the road, cool. No one can stop them. They're great players in their own right."

Stinson, 36, was brought into the GN'R fold four years ago.

"I was doing a session with a friend of mine who played drums for GN'R at the time, Josh Freese," he said. "He was joking about them needing a new bass player. I laughed and said I'd play bass. The next day, they called. I learned about four or five songs. A day or so after the audition, they called and said, 'If you want it, you're in.' And I took it.

"I wasn't much of a GN'R fan . . . when I was making [Replacements] records. We were a different breed. But you couldn't help but hear the GN'R stuff on the radio and on MTV every 10 minutes because it was the flavor of the day."

GN'R burst out of Los Angeles in 1987 with the debut album "Appetite for Destruction," which sold 15 million copies in the United States alone. It spawned the No. 1 hit "Sweet Child o' Mine."

The group hasn't released a batch of all-new original material since 1991, when GN'R simultaneously unloaded two full-length efforts, "Use Your Illusion I" and "Use Your Illusion II."

Whether or not "Chinese Democracy" proves worth the wait remains to be heard. At any rate, it promises to be a bit of a departure.

"For a GN'R record, it's pretty diverse," Stinson said. "It's not straight down the rock 'n' roll road. It's all over the place, in a good way. It has a little bit of everything - the old Guns N' Roses vibe, ballads, a couple of pop songs."

On "Chinese Democracy," Rose delivers "more soulful singing," Stinson said. "You really get to hear some different tones in his voice which don't lend themselves to traditional bluesy riff-rock. And the lyrics are a lot more in-depth, with deeper sentiment and emotion than some of the earlier stuff."

Speaking of Rose - depicted two years ago in a Rolling Stone cover story as a reclusive, night-dwelling, psychic-consulting control freak - is he . . . OK?

"I'll tell you why I'm still with the guy: He's got my back," Stinson said. "He's the most loyal guy you could ever meet. There's a lot of love in him. There's a real person there who goes way beyond his historical past, you know?"

Rose is "one of the most thoughtful people I know," Reed said. "He's one of the smartest, too. Musically, he's close to being a genius, if he isn't one. He can take any idea and once he adds his thing to it, it turns into magic. I love the guy."

Alongside "Welcome to the Jungle," "Paradise City," "Patience" and other vintage GN'R tunes, the band's recent set lists have showcased several "Chinese Democracy" songs, including the title track and "Madagascar."

"The new songs are working out great," Stinson said. "The old ones are fun to play, too. We've taken some liberties, but you'll definitely recognize them. We don't do disco versions of anything. We've all just taken what was there and made it our own."

The new Guns N' Roses sounds "like GN'R should sound in 2002," Reed said. "Hopefully, I see us fitting in on the radio, on MTV and at an arena near you."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

jsoeder@plaind.com, 216-999-4562

http://www.cleveland.com/music/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/friday/103796611073160.xml

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2002, 04:44:38 PM »

All cool to read, but a couple of pop songs... Didn't see that coming... Although I guess I should've.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2002, 05:29:01 PM »

Well, that was an interesting read  [ok]  But, if they still need to finish up the recording and mix/master the record, I don't think it will come out in February.  I would think maybe April or May.  That sucks, but at least Dizzy let the public know what stage the record is at.  [yes]

Ali
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2002, 05:42:48 PM »

That was a great interview, they (Dizzy and Stinson) seem to give alot of interviews which I like. At least SOMEBODY is saying SOMETHING though.

But the June date? Uh...I thought this was the April fools day thread at first. June? Jesus, my kids are going to be graduating college by the time this thing comes out.

[rofl]
Bahad
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2002, 06:11:14 PM »

I thought North American Tour is the warm-up for the album. But Axl says February,Dizzy says June, Fortus doesnt even have an idea. Nobody knows nothing  [confused] I hope it will be out when I turn back from my military service in Autumn  [nervous]
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2002, 07:08:20 PM »

fortus (or was it tommy) said march

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
kidrock
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2002, 10:30:20 PM »

I thought North American Tour is the warm-up for the album. But Axl says February,Dizzy says June, Fortus doesnt even have an idea. Nobody knows nothing  [confused] I hope it will be out when I turn back from my military service in Autumn  [nervous]

Axl never said February.  Kurt Loder said February.  Axl has not been specific in any of his recent interviews.  Sounds like Feb. to June would be a safe guess  [confused]

A couple of pop songs  Huh  TRl here we come  [help]
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2002, 11:01:19 PM »

I say it will be out some time from Febuary to June 2003. Hey maybe on April 1, 2003.   [hihi]  [hihi]

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
lastroots
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2002, 09:36:20 AM »

The 2nd Leg of the Tour starts in mid January. Are 2 weeks enough time to finish a record?? I dunno.
I think July will be the earliest possibility, but IMO it will be pushed back again.

/lastroots
Dizzy
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2002, 10:51:31 AM »

Face it.  None of those guys (including Axl) know when the album will be released, if ever.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2002, 01:55:31 PM by Dizzy » Logged
lastroots
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2002, 11:00:48 AM »

Face it.  None of those guys knows when the album will be released, if ever.

Right.

/lastroots
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2002, 11:36:36 AM »

The 2nd Leg of the Tour starts in mid January. Are 2 weeks enough time to finish a record??

How do you know that?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
lastroots
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2002, 12:14:41 PM »

Didn't Axl say that one or two months ago?

/lastroots
Dizzy
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2002, 01:53:58 PM »

Well, Axl said two years ago that the album would be released in June (2001).  Can't rely on what Axl says.
lastroots
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2002, 02:09:57 PM »

Well, Axl said two years ago that the album would be released in June (2001).  Can't rely on what Axl says.

I can't oppose this. But it doesn't make me think of an earlier release date.

/lastroots
nadia
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2002, 12:17:16 AM »

june 03 my ass.

when may comes they'll say septmber.

Clowns. [rant]
Michelle
Miss Agreeable Austrian
Legend

Axl's Girl

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2002, 01:59:12 PM »

I'm a bit sceptical about the "pop songs", but we'll see what's "pop songs" in Axl's mind...

It's a miracle how long we can stay in a world our mind's created, in a world that's full of shit - Coma
Lineker10
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2002, 02:01:40 PM »

Pop songs [help] Roll Eyes

Im not liking that at all Roll Eyes

As for June - One day the band tells Loader Febuary then a few days later Fortus says March and now Dizzy says June - Its Just getting later and later. I wouldnt be suprised one bit if come June someone from the band says "Yeh it will be out by September we just need some more time to add some more vocals and touch it up a bit" Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 26, 2002, 02:05:17 PM by Lineker10 » Logged
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2002, 06:01:52 AM »

I'm a bit sceptical about the "pop songs", but we'll see what's "pop songs" in Axl's mind...

Maybe Axl will do like a cover of MJ's Bad... I'd actually want to hear that...

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2002, 11:59:01 AM »

eh...album will prolly never come out!? thats my pessimistic side talking, my optimistic side says february!! i truly think we will get it, but no earlier than 2004, and i truly beleive that now, its just a sense though, hopefully its wrong!

What Goes around comes around!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: