Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:45:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Singers who can't sing
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Singers who can't sing  (Read 29387 times)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« on: October 13, 2003, 01:30:03 PM »

If you think about it, there's a whole bunch of legendary rock singers that, when you think about it, actually can't sing well, or aren't great singers in the traditional sense.  They've usually got something else behind them, though, that makes them entertaining and compensates.  Examples include Bob Dylan, David Lee Roth, Vince Neil, Dave Mustaine, Ozzy Osbourne (of course there are others, but I can't think of them right now).  My question is, who's your favourite singer who can't sing?

My vote goes to David Lee Roth, Mr. Entertainment himself.  The guy was, with Eddie, the heart and soul of classic Van Halen, and made rock 'n' roll fun again.
jd#7w
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 01:34:09 PM »

daimond can sing r u fuckin nuts! ozzy is the perfect example of this he cant sing but his lyrics and stageshow r so cool people dont give a damn.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 03:11:56 PM »

you got to be joking about Vince Neil? That guy had a great voice back in the 80's.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 06:06:59 PM »

the greatest singer who cant sing is red hot chili peppers ANTHONY KIEDIS!

i love the chili peppers they are in my top 5 all time favs. but live he cant sing for shit! studio he sounds awesome on records but god damn in concert its not always very good!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 06:23:41 PM »

i love the chili peppers they are in my top 5 all time favs. but live he cant sing for shit! studio he sounds awesome on records but god damn in concert its not always very good!

Anthony can sing dude, he don't have a spectacular range in his voice or anything, just an ok range but he sounds awesome. of course it cracks now and then live, that's cos he doesn't have the strongest voice, but it happens to most singers live every now and then. Ive seen/heard loads of live stuff with RHCP where he sounds absolutely perfect! ok

Diamond Dave and Vince are all about taste, Vince had a very good voice in the 80s, and I fuckin love Dave's stage act and voice.
Bob Dylan...now there's an awful singer!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 06:35:00 PM »

Examples include Bob Dylan, David Lee Roth, Vince Neil, Dave Mustaine, Ozzy Osbourne.   My question is, who's your favourite singer who can't sing?

Vince Neil?  Was a great singer, and still is!!  OZZY OSBOURNE?  WHAT THE HELL??  HOW DARE YOU!  Ozzy has the best voice EVER!

I don't have any favorite singers who can't sing, because I hate vocalists who can't sing!  All the vocalists from all nu-metal thrash metal bands qualify as "singers" who can't sing.

Dizzy, the reason I think people don't like Ozzy's voice is because its too nasal and you are right, nu metal bands suck.

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 08:23:44 PM »

my favorite singer who can't sing is Corey taylor
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 08:37:22 PM »

Bob Dylan...now there's an awful singer!

:hihi:Isn't that the truth!  Grin

Why don't you just....
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 08:56:56 PM »

daimond can sing r u fuckin nuts! ozzy is the perfect example of this he cant sing but his lyrics and stageshow r so cool people dont give a damn.

Well, all these guys can technically sing, but I'm just trying to say that they aren't like masters of their vocal instruments.  What Dave does can often be described more as "talk-singing", because he just seems to mug his way through a lot of the songs.  Of course, that's what makes him so cool.  And he does sing well for the vocal range that's required in the songs.  Besides, few people can do those falsetto screams like him.  I said that Diamond Dave was my favourite "singer who can't sing", didn't I?

Ozzy...well, I've said this before, but have you ever seen footage of him when he was the singer of Black Sabbath in the 70s?  He just stands there.  He had to be the most boring frontman out there, because he doesn't even do anything.  I could have been a better frontman for Black Sabbath.  Now, though, he's always running around the stage, throwing water on the audience, all this stuff.  It seems like he's become a better frontman over time.

And the thing about all the people in the examples I listed...well, I listed because they are technically SINGERS.  That is, they sing.  If you want to talk about people who REALLY can't sing at all, just listen to Slipknot, or any kind of death metal.  Has anyone ever heard Cannibal Corpse?  They have to have the worst vocalist I've ever heard.  Actually, there's this new band called Alexisonfire, and they look like Weezer or something, but their vocalist just screams like some death-metal growler.  The worst fucking band I've heard in a long time.  Anyway, I left those kinds of screamers off the list because they seriously can NOT sing (I mean, unless you count Corey Taylor on "Bother").  I wanted to make it a little more difficult than that.
Dizzy
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 10:19:08 PM »

Ozzy...well, I've said this before, but have you ever seen footage of him when he was the singer of Black Sabbath in the 70s?  He just stands there.  He had to be the most boring frontman out there, because he doesn't even do anything.

Whoa whoa whoa, who the hell said anything about being a frontman?  You began this thread about SINGERS that can't SING well or tradionally.  You stated this....

If you think about it, there's a whole bunch of legendary rock singers that, when you think about it, actually can't sing well, or aren't great singers in the traditional sense.

And then you cited Ozzy Osbourne as an example of someone who fits the above description.  You didn't say anything about being a frontman.  That isn't related to how well someone can sing.

I could have been a better frontman for Black Sabbath.

Bah, don't flatter yourself.  I seriously doubt you could've brought that sinister persona to Black Sabbath that Ozzy did, even if he did just stand there.

Now, though, he's always running around the stage, throwing water on the audience, all this stuff.  It seems like he's become a better frontman over time.

Damn skippy, I've seen him twice in the last 14 months, and he is a phenomenal stage presence.  I think the thing with Sabbath was that he was young and didn't yet know anything about being as rock star.  Hell, he was only 19 years old when he started with Black Sabbath and they released their first album when he was 21.  So he grew into the rock star persona over time, especially after he started hitting the drugs hard.  The drugs really transformed him into the wildman that he was.  And even after he quit using drugs, he never went back to that "stand there and clap" frontman that he used to be.  He's still exciting and entertaining to watch.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 10:33:36 PM by Dizzy » Logged
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 10:24:52 PM »

I think you're confused - Ozzy can sing - he can't talk! hihi

I saw Black Sabbath with Ozzy and it rocked - it was the voice and not his actions that made it although I don't recall him exactly standing still.  Undecided

Why don't you just....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2003, 12:53:58 AM »

tom waits

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2003, 05:51:51 AM »

Gotta agree with u there...him attempting to rap is ghastly....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2003, 11:34:53 AM »

Another example of a singer who can't sing is Eddy Vedder of pearl jam
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2003, 12:00:55 PM »

Guck, can't stand Anthony Kiedis.

My vote:  Damon Albarn.  Excellent musician and front-man, but can't sing for shit. ok
Lionel Hutz
Attorney-at-law
VIP

In loving memory of Phil Hartman

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2003, 12:19:32 PM »

Jimi Hendrix, or Tom Waits.
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2003, 01:16:31 PM »

Vince Neil is a great singer.

Ozzy, I think he's a great singer and a stage character.

Anthony Kiedis, I've seen him performing live on television, and he isn't a phenomenon. He's  voice is very weak if you know what I mean, but he has good voice on albums though.

My vote goes to the Bob Dylan
« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 01:17:22 PM by mr. Funkenstein » Logged
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2003, 01:22:32 PM »

just remembered one, Les Claypool! I like Primus and love his bassplaying, I actually like his voice too, but I have to admit...it doesn't exacly sound good!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2003, 03:58:11 PM »

I think this award should be given to no other than Fred Durst.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2003, 04:45:00 PM »

All the live Ozzy footage I've seen is shocking, especially the old sabbath stuff, he misses every other note.

And whoever said he was crap in Sabbath cos he just stood there....have you ever listened to Sabbath? It's not exactly the kinda music you jump about to.  It's evil. Evil is not running around and doing star jumps like Dave Lee Roth.

I have to admit Sheryl Crow is the most famous one I can think of that can't hit the right note.  Well Damon Albarn too, but Blur suck... Tongue

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: