Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:54:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  GNN - GN'R News Network
| | |-+  Geffen press release on DVD's
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Geffen press release on DVD's  (Read 16875 times)
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« on: October 15, 2003, 12:28:35 PM »

Press Release Source: Geffen/UMe

Guns N' Roses Debuts on DVD With Releases of WELCOME TO THE VIDEOS Featuring All the Band's Videos and Two Concert USE YOUR ILLUSION WORLD TOUR Home Videos
Wednesday October 15, 10:00 am ET

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Guns N' Roses are finally, officially, on DVD with the first-time releases on the format of WELCOME TO THE VIDEOS and the concert performances USE YOUR ILLUSION I: WORLD TOUR - 1992 IN TOKYO and USE YOUR ILLUSION II: WORLD TOUR - 1992 IN TOKYO (Geffen/UMe), released October 28, 2003.

WELCOME TO THE VIDEOS, originally released on VHS in 1998, features all 13 GN'R videos seen on MTV, some of the most popular and acclaimed videos ever aired, from the burst-of-energy "Welcome To The Jungle" to the inspired "November Rain" to the epic "Estranged." The music videos to six Top 10 hits, four of them gold, are included in the 70-minute compilation. Whether filled with concert and behind-the-scenes footage, performances-for-video or powerfully evocative narratives, Guns N' Roses music videos have been among the most emotionally provocative in rock.

A winner of the prestigious Video Vanguard Award from the MTV Video Music Awards, the band's video history began with a 1988 MTV Award as Best New Artist for "Welcome To The Jungle" (#7). The following year, "Sweet Child O' Mine" (gold and the group's only #1) won for Best Metal/Hard Rock Video. Both videos, as well as the next two, "Paradise City" (1988, #5) and "Patience" (1989, #4 and gold), were directed by music video pioneer Nigel Dick.

In 1991, GN'R expanded their repertoire with more grandiose videos directed by many-time MTV Award-winner Andy Morahan. For "Don't Cry" (#10, gold), the narrative was mixed with a rooftop performance (including the late Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon). After the band's cover of Paul and Linda McCartney's "Live And Let Die" (1991, Top 40), Morahan helmed "November Rain" (#3, gold). At the 1992 VMAs, the video won three awards, for Best Cinematography, Best Special Effects, and Best Editing -- and, most significantly, GN'R won the Video Vanguard Award.

Morahan then directed 1992's "Yesterdays" and "Garden Of Eden" and 1993's "Estranged." A massive undertaking, "Estranged" was shot all over the world, from a live performance in Munich, Germany, to a supertanker off Texas to a swim-with-the-dolphins experience in the Bahamas to the Sunset Strip.

In 1992, Guns N' Roses debuted on home video with USE YOUR ILLUSION WORLD TOUR - 1992 IN TOKYO presented in two separate packages, I and II. Each is a collection of live performances of their best-known songs. Unique to these videos are performances of Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," the theme from THE GODFATHER and one hell of a Drum and Guitar Solo. Each USE YOUR ILLUSION video was certified gold.

Now the original band is seen and heard once again on DVD geared to long time fans as well as the new ones discovering one of the most influential rock bands of all time -- Guns N' Roses.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031015/law008_1.html
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 12:41:23 PM »

This is interesting.  Perhaps Geffen's marketing machine is starting to warm up...

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 12:50:34 PM »

Thanks Mysteron! Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 12:58:15 PM »

This is interesting.  Perhaps Geffen's marketing machine is starting to warm up...

Let's hope bro. beer
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 01:04:32 PM »

Maybe we'll get lucky and there will be some decent "Easter Eggs" on the DVD's.... I doubt there will, but one never knows!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
just_one
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 02:27:45 PM »

does this mean that the DVDS will be available in europe or in other words....portugal Grin???
just_one
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 04:15:18 PM »

apparently welcome to the videos will not include you could be mine Sad

and something awesome just crossed my mind....why not include the making of the videos as a bonus on the welcome to the videos DVD

2 good to be true SadSad
RocketQueen2002
Opening Act

the light in my darkest hour is fear...

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 04:38:46 PM »

Lips Sealed

anybody know where to pick up the dvd's... they dont have them at amazon!!

i have em on vhs... might as well upgrade!!
coondogg
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 04:49:23 PM »

They were on Amazon for pre-order at 9.99 each. Now they're not there. They were on Best Buy cheaper than they are now; they are 17.99 each. What the hell happened!!!
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 06:55:31 PM »

apparently welcome to the videos will not include you could be mine Sad

Yeah that sucks. It would have been cool if they had every version of the videos that have more than one and ever video ever made even I Don't Care About You if it was made or not. This is still good news. I'm going to buy them even those I have them on vhs.  ok

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 09:07:28 PM »

Apparently there will be no bonuses :

From Blabbermouth.net:

GUNS N' ROSES: No Bonus Material Included On Forthcoming DVDs - Oct. 15, 2003

GUNS N' ROSES' forthcoming DVD editions of the 1998 home video "Welcome to the Videos", plus the separate 1992 home videos "Use Your Illusion I" and "Use Your Illusion II: World Tour - 1992 in Tokyo" will include no bonus features not available on the original VHS releases, according to Billboard.com.

Due on October 28 through Geffen, "Welcome to the Videos" rounds up clips for such favorites as "Welcome to the Jungle", "Sweet Child O' Mine", "Patience", "Don't Cry" and GNR's cover of WINGS' "Live and Let Die". The "Use Your Illusion" videos chronicle Tokyo performances from the tour in support of the two-part 1991 album of the same name, which debuted on the same day at No. 1 and 2 on The Billboard 200.  

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
dragan0T3
Rocker

So Axl, when are we getting a new album- 2023?! ;)

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 10:49:33 PM »

OK I can take the no new bonus stuff or YCBM, but releasing the UYI Tokyo concert on 2 separate DVDs is a plain attempt to get more money.  Geffen disgusts me.  Tokyo '92 can easily fit unto a single DVD and would be generally a better viewing experience not having to switch DVDs in between.

At this rate I'd be surprised if the DVDs have a menu with song selection.  Roll Eyes

I won't be in a hurry to get these I think - they are probably just a straight transfer without remastering the sound or video.

Metal is better than ever - try Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Dragonforce, Children of Bodom, Kamelot, Symphony X, Stratovarius, Heavenly, Dream Theater, Dimmu Borgir etc.
P.S. You Finns f'n rock! _|m|
Cristina
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 06:39:01 AM »

Here are links to a couple of related articles:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=18830

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2003/20031016_gnr.html

Nothing too interesting, I guess...
Dizzy
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 05:27:09 PM »

I have UYI on Brazilian DVD, and I have a VCD of Welcome to the Videos, so I won't be purchasing these unless they offer extra features.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 06:47:05 PM »

I have UYI on Brazilian DVD, and I have a VCD of Welcome to the Videos, so I won't be purchasing these unless they offer extra features.

The old man isn't paying attention.  Wink

GUNS N' ROSES: No Bonus Material Included On Forthcoming DVDs - Oct. 15, 2003

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jagged Little Pill
Cheap Heartbreaker
VIP

You were born an original. Don't die a copy

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2003, 07:58:03 PM »

It's times like these that I wish I had a DVD player  crying

Never be bullied into silence.  Never allow yourself to be made a victim.  Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2003, 10:33:17 PM »

I got the UYI concert on VHS, DVDs (Brazilian version and Korean boxset) and Welcome To The Videos on VHS and taiwanese VCD...I'm still goin to buy all DVDs...I might get the jewel case version and the amaray box version for each one but THAT might sound a little geeky... Grin

Jagged Little Pill
Cheap Heartbreaker
VIP

You were born an original. Don't die a copy

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2003, 11:27:11 PM »

Well i've got both of the UYI videos and WTTV on VHS...so I guess i'm good...if there's not bonus footage on it then I don't need it cuz its same thing as the VHS one. Right? right!

Never be bullied into silence.  Never allow yourself to be made a victim.  Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2003, 07:59:15 AM »

Maybe they'll have proper surround sound...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2003, 09:08:05 AM »

Maybe they'll have proper surround sound...

English - Dolby Digital (2.0) Stereo according to playusa.com.

/jarmo

tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2003, 12:25:40 PM »

Pretty sad that the best journalistic investigation by Rolling Stone could only turn up:

As for Gn'R's current doings, there has been no word about the status of Chinese Democracy. A message that read, "Stay tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon," was posted on the band's official Web site in March, months after the plug was pulled on its 2002 winter tour.

lol...maybe they could dig a bit deeper huh?

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2003, 07:11:39 PM »

that's all we know!

Maybe gnr should dig a little deeper and correct the thing so it says june when it was posted?
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2003, 11:36:40 AM »

You know, it's a shame we don't get extra features because there is tons of vintage GNR footage we want to see in their entitirity.

For Example:
1. The original GNR tearing down the Headbangers Ball set
2. A good quality video of "Coma" from Chicago 92
3.the video for YCBM,
4. "Free Fallin/Heartbreak Hotel with Tom Petty
5. Various MTV news clips (Such as Axl being arrested)
6.Some clips from The Ritz (Or maybe, a separate DVD)
7. Clips from GNR's last show in Beuno Aires(Pizzaman included, or maybe just release a seperate release of this as well called "Farewell")

Why should we buy these tapes again?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 11:40:07 AM by The New Fiona Apple » Logged

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
Nightfall
The Evil Dutchess
VIP

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2003, 08:42:54 AM »

European Release date Region 2: November 17th

Nightfall On Tour 2012:
NY: Februari 10 & 12
France: June 5, 11, 14 & 19
Nightfall
The Evil Dutchess
VIP

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2003, 11:52:31 AM »

For people who are going to order the DVD's through Amazon.com, here's some usefull info about their asin numbers:

Numbers for DVDcase version:
asin UYI I: B0000DJZAX
Asin UYI II: B0000DJZB4

Numbers for jewelcase version:
B0000DJZB2  =  Illusion I
B0000DJZB6 =  Illusion 2

Nightfall On Tour 2012:
NY: Februari 10 & 12
France: June 5, 11, 14 & 19
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: