Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:42:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227812 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  Too Much Moderating
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Too Much Moderating  (Read 7721 times)
ScottyGNR
Headliner

lets get serious

« on: December 15, 2003, 11:34:14 AM »

just my opinion but this has been done several times when it's totally unecessary.  Here's the latest example this is what I posted on the main board under the title "dust in the wind"

"I downloaded "Dust in the Wind" from the Hub.  It downloaded and came labeled as "Live Kansas Cover"  (which it clearly is not).  But this song is beautiful.  Anybody know anything about it??"

I come back this morning seeing that its locked with a link to the FAQ thread in the Dead Horse Section.  In that section all it has is who wrote the song.  How does this help me out??  I knew that before.  What is the point of locking the thread??  Now its locked and nobody would be able to tell me anything about the song.  Its not a dead horse kind of topic anyway.

This isn't the first time this has happened.  I wouldn't complain if legitimate threads weren't locked or moved or whatever.  Another time i started a post when VR came out with Set Me Free and tried to compare it with The Spaghetti Incident.  I wanted to talk about the tempo the speed etc. and compare that song with the album.  locked.

I went to the "other bands" forum and asked a question about NIN.  I got a response saying that there was a NIN post already existing.  WTF!?  What am I supposed to do go back through the pages look for that post, post, then hope someone just happens to read a question I post that would be the 70th reply then answer?  Would it not be easier for me to just post the question and get the answer?  This didn't even come from a moderator it came from some random guy.

What is the point of locking these threads??  If they don't bring anything to the table they would just naturally die off the page.  If you lock them who knows what someone might have to say??

Its a big job and many people are needed to help, but I believe there is too much policing and over moderating.  I don't want to leave the board in case that what's you're suggesting I do because there are a lot of cool and helpful people here.  Anyways I've said my peace
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 12:59:18 PM »

Well sometimes we make mistakes.

But I think it's nice if we can keep all the similar discussions in one thread. For example, the NIN stuff. We have a thread with everything posted about that band in one place. It's easy to find that one post if you just find the thread.

If you wonder if anybody has asked your question, all you have to do is to find the one thread about NIN. A lot easier than going throught hundreds of NIN threads.

When Set Me Free came out, it was being compared to everything imaginable. It got really boring after a while seeing new "Set Me Free vs Song x" threads.

Dust In The Wind, what did you wanna know? Because the most common question people have is "Is it a new GN'R song?" or "Who is it by?". Both are answered in the FAQ.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ScottyGNR
Headliner

lets get serious

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 01:16:10 PM »

Thanks for the response.

This is true.  There were a ton of discussions comparing Set Me Free to "X".  I think for that situation I thought it would be appropriate to discuss its relevance to TSI as a whole or comparing it to music from that time era.  And having one NIN would be less troublesome than having a couple different threads about the same band.  But its a double edge sword.  If I see a topic that runs 70+ posts deep or whatever, I don't usually go looking into especially when it doesn't have to do with GNR.

About Dust in the Wind I kind of wanted to know if it was done as a recording for UYI or if it was a warmup for Nov Rain or whatever.  I just thought that it also might give people the opportunity to go look for it themselves cuz I found it by accident.  If people were having a discussion about it, maybe there'd be some incentive to search for it.

Anyways when a place like this is so big not everyone can be happy all the time.  you got to give a little to get a little i guess is what they say.

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 05:56:14 PM »

I think I should reply since I was the one locking the "Dust In The Wind"-thread.

Well, in my opinion the whole Dust In the Wind thing is a dead horse subject. It has been dicussed many times before, that's why there is a thing about it in the FAQ.

Now the reason it was locked was because I wasn't thinking straight. My original plan was to just move it in the dead horse section, but I accidentally locked it, and since I was in a hurry, I didn't check it before leaving which I normally do. I'll move it there and reopen it, so people can discuss the matter if they want to.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 05:40:22 AM »

what jarmo said is why this is the best message boardon the net
if u go to any other message board like the limp bizkit or the bon jovi board there are like 50 threads about the same shit

its impossible to get a reply back to a thread

its like instead of postin they create a wholen ew thread to state their opinions

this board is moderated perfectly, its neat organized and more interesting cause everything is in one thread and u know if u spend 10 minutes writing a post that there is a good chance someone will read it and respond

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 04:15:31 PM »

I think the moderation here is great I would rather have too much than not enough
SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 05:15:47 AM »

I think the moderation here is great I would rather have too much than not enough

me 2.
MCT
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 02:54:37 PM »

Exactly Donnie............that's just what I was saying to you and Waggy earlier today.......(btw get an EYE!!!!!)

We enjoy a considerable amount of freedom here, due to the rather blatant ceiling looming above our heads........a rather high ceiling I might add. And it all comes down to moderating...........or more accurately, EFFECTIVE moderating............meaning we know what we can and cannot do.............knowing the ultimate consequences of our actions.............that is what gives us the elbow room we need to be a healthy forum that is effective in it's own right.
Nick83
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 10:54:08 PM »

This place is overmoderatd sometimes.  I've seen plenty of stupid moderating decisions.  Overall, this place is probably the most fair message board I've ever been on, and jarmo runs a good show.  Some of the other mods are a pain in the ass though.  Overusing their powers and making unnecessary changes.  It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's just annoying.
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 07:12:56 PM »

i would be more appreciative if the moderators state their reasons for locking or moving a thread before doing so.

Too many times I have tried to respond to a thread before realising that it has been locked by a moderator for some inexplicable reason. This is frustrating, because it's almost denying a right to free speech. I can't respond to a locked thread, and if I start a new thread to continue the topic, it'll just get locked or deleted immediately.

I agree with whoever said that some of the moderators need to loosen up a bit. They might not intend it, but alot of the time they come across as being on a huge power trip.

JMO

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
Chris Misfit
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2004, 04:28:16 AM »

This is frustrating, because it's almost denying a right to free speech.

But you don't have that right here, hence the reason there's moderators.
BucketRose
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2004, 10:19:48 AM »

It does tend to seem on the overmoderated side at times...at least, as far as the thread locking goes.  

Some of the mods should keep in mind that this is a fan board...a gathering place for fans to discuss a band.  Its not like the Earth is going to lose its orbit and be hurled into the sun if there are two loosely-related thread topics in one section.  Besides, many of the threads disappear onto page two in a couple ofdays anyway.

Perhaps some of the mods struggle with a sense of being "called to duty" as a moderator...yet they lack the clear focus as to what they should do to moderate, so they lock a few threads here and there to appear as being "hard at work."  ok
loretian
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2004, 10:55:47 AM »

You guys... like it's been stated before, the reason for the combining and the locking of the duplicate threads isn't so the moderators can "moderate" their happy asses off, it's for us.   Do you realize how much more convenient and accessible  for searching the board is when a single topic is all in one thread?  You want to find out about Axl's underwear size?  Find the thread on it, that's 99% of the information you're going to find on this board.  You don't have to keep searching, it's all right there in the one thread.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2004, 02:35:31 PM »

You guys... like it's been stated before, the reason for the combining and the locking of the duplicate threads isn't so the moderators can "moderate" their happy asses off, it's for us.   Do you realize how much more convenient and accessible  for searching the board is when a single topic is all in one thread?  You want to find out about Axl's underwear size?  Find the thread on it, that's 99% of the information you're going to find on this board.  You don't have to keep searching, it's all right there in the one thread.

couldnt have said it better

*thinks to self*

*should i create what size underwear does axl wear?*

nawwwww better not!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: