Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:23:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  News Greatest hits out in March!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: News Greatest hits out in March!!  (Read 61070 times)
padje
Rocker

Breakdown! (No I mean it... break it all down...)

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2004, 04:37:06 PM »

Right. But then if GN'R where finished, why would dizzy send me an autograph last thursday, signing GN'R '04? But ofcourse, a high ranking official in Universal circles would know better then one of the artists himself, wouldn't he?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 04:39:14 PM by padje » Logged
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2004, 04:55:28 PM »

Why wouldn't Universal know about GNR? Oh that's right, they have no direct contact with the band.  Roll Eyes

There's no way that info would leak, especially to someone who would post it on a message boad.

If you would have said Geffen or Interscope it would've given you more credibility...

Isn't it possible that Universal would know since CD is supposed to be a major release?

Also, the original release of the GH was leaked to someone on the internet. Someone on Sludge posted about it at least a month before it appeared on any music sites but no one believed him. In fact his claims were very similar to this poster's. He said CD was scrapped in favor of a GH.

So this poster very well could be telling the truth. It may not make much sense to scrap CD, but since when did anything regarding CD make any sense?

The last sentence of your post should answer your question.

Things do get leaked, and if it were true there would be rumors going around like wild fire.

Look at it, he's friends with one of the "top guys" for Universal music in Europe. Why would this big wig say to someone (who would run as fast as he could to the nearest message board and post it):

"Last time they had a relase date for CD was almost 2 years ago, at that point they recived new Dates from the States every quarter.
Suddenly there were no more dates.
He also asked the States if the relase of "greatest hits" had anything to do with
CD as a promotion campaing, the answer was NO!!!!!
They want to get some money back after all investment put into CD.
He also mentioned that if CD was such a great record it would have been relased years ago, otherwise he had no other explanation.
If they were to show up in Rio, we are probally going to see the same set list again I guess."

Does this sound right to you? He basicly just did what every other "false insider" does by grabbing a lot of old rumors and tying them together. There was nothing new in his post. It wasn't like when Mysteron said the GH album was going to be cancelled, and then it was. He didn't say anything. Look at the last part of his post about Rio. I don't think he knew what to do with the Rio gig, since it didn't fit with his story.

If someone in Europe found out about this, why wouldn't Mysteron or someone else in the states? If this was true, why hadn't this leaked out by now here? If they said CD was cancled, you don't think that would make some noise? Why would they release a GH to re-coup the money, when they know there would be more interest in CD. Look at Live Era, you'd see the same sells figures for the GH CD, plus most of the tracklist was covers. How would they make their money back with that? Why would the band be looking to go on a European tour? What would the label gain by shelving the music?

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2004, 05:50:28 PM »

If someone in Europe found out about this, why wouldn't Mysteron or someone else in the states? If this was true, why hadn't this leaked out by now here? If they said CD was cancled, you don't think that would make some noise? Why would they release a GH to re-coup the money, when they know there would be more interest in CD. Look at Live Era, you'd see the same sells figures for the GH CD, plus most of the tracklist was covers. How would they make their money back with that? Why would the band be looking to go on a European tour? What would the label gain by shelving the music?

I'm not saying I necessarily believe this guy, because we are all too familiar with people posting bogus rumor. However, this particular rumor is deja vu of the first time we heard of the GH so I can't help but wonder if it is happening again.

You are saying if this is true it would leak out, but it did not leak the first time the GH came about. Mysteron seemed to find out about the GH at the same time the rest of us did. In fact, I was under the impression the band did not find out about it until then either. So isn't it possible the same thing could be happening this time?

The only difference between this time and last time is GNR is playing RIR and it does seem odd that they would play RIR without new material, but they have done it before so who is to say they won't do it again?

HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2004, 05:58:15 PM »

dial F for failure. If, and that's a fucking HUGE if, there is a "greatest hits" released, it definitely would not take the place of 'Chinese Democracy', or even used as filler until they can get the album out.  

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2004, 06:01:11 PM »

Anything is possible. That's true.

I don't remember the rumor coming out months before GH was placed on amazon.com, all I remember is someone posting the tracklist when the mysterious GNR cd popped up on Amazon and no one knew what it was, and he was lambasted. But I'm saying that obviously something was sent out to Amazon.com and other sites saying something is coming, so its not hard to believe that someone obtained that information THEN.  If CD was cancled don't you think the band members would know? If someone tells a distributor this info, don't you think the band would know it, or other people who have insiders in the record label? Or at least the word would get around?

Last time they played RIR they did play new material remember.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 06:02:50 PM by misterID » Logged

Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2004, 07:12:56 PM »

Anything is possible. That's true.

I don't remember the rumor coming out months before GH was placed on amazon.com, all I remember is someone posting the tracklist when the mysterious GNR cd popped up on Amazon and no one knew what it was, and he was lambasted. But I'm saying that obviously something was sent out to Amazon.com and other sites saying something is coming, so its not hard to believe that someone obtained that information THEN.  If CD was cancled don't you think the band members would know? If someone tells a distributor this info, don't you think the band would know it, or other people who have insiders in the record label? Or at least the word would get around?

Last time they played RIR they did play new material remember.

The first time the original rumor popped up it was very similar to this. Some guy on Sludge claimed that he heard from the record company that CD was scrapped in favor of a GH which was to be released around Christmas time. This was at least a month before the tracklisting or anything like that appeared. Of course no one believed this guy and the rumor died off extremely fast until it reappeared a month later.

I didn't believe it myself because it made no sense that CD would be scrapped, but we now know the guy was at least partially correct.

The idea of CD being scrapped still confuses me, but I would not be suprised if the GH pops up again. That's all I am saying.

Oh and you're correct they did play new material the last time. I should have said they played without an album to support.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2004, 07:31:48 PM »

I am back again, i didn?t mean to dissapoint you guys.
I cannot name my source but he?s high ranked Universal boss.
He knows I love GNR. Last time they had a relase date for CD was almost 2 years ago, at that point they recived new Dates from the States every quarter.
He also asked the States if the relase of "greatest hits" had anything to do with
He also mentioned that if CD was such a great record it would have been relased years ago, otherwise he had no other explanation.
If they were to show up in Rio, we are probally going to see the same set list again I guess.
Guns forever/Johan

Interesting.  Very interesting. Mostly because Universal (the company known as Vivendi Universal) and Universal Music, since the NBC/GE deal, have absolutely nothing to do with each other.  Universal Music is now run as it's own seperate company, and is no longer part of Vivendi Universal.  What's REALLY interesting is, last I knew, Universal Music (UMG) was run entirely (at least from an executive control standpoint) from within North America (and mostly out of the U.S....CA and NY to be exact).  So, I don't know who Johan's "source" is, but again, last time I checked, Universal Music doesn't have any "European Executives" or "high ranking Universal Bosses" outside of North America.  Universal Music International (UMI) does, but have NOTHING TO DO WITH TOP LEVEL DECISION MAKING at UMG OR INTERSCOPE.  UMG does own LABELS outside the U.S. and North America, and even publish and distribute outside the U.S. and North America (usually, but not always,through UMI), but the executive structure and major decision making is entirely housed in North America (and mostly in the U.S.).  

And another point:
Last I heard, UMG pretty much allowed each label to operate as a seperate entity, even though they were all under a common umbrella.  That means Interscope/Geffen executives make decisions about their label,  Island Def Jam executives makes decisions regarding their label, etc, etc.  While UMG is kept "in the loop", they do not make decisions about releases, artist signings, etc.  I haven't heard that's changed, and in light of UMG begin cut loose from Vivendi Universal, and UMG's more independant operation, I would be very surprised if it did, given how profitable this method has been.

Just thought that might add a bit to the conversations going on here.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2004, 08:06:47 PM »

I am back again, i didn?t mean to dissapoint you guys.
I cannot name my source but he?s high ranked Universal boss.
He knows I love GNR. Last time they had a relase date for CD was almost 2 years ago, at that point they recived new Dates from the States every quarter.
If they were to show up in Rio, we are probally going to see the same set list again I guess.
Guns forever/Johan

Interesting.  Very interesting. Mostly because Universal (the company known as Vivendi Universal) and Universal Music, since the NBC/GE deal, have absolutely nothing to do with each other.  Universal Music is now run as it's own seperate company, and is no longer part of Vivendi Universal.  What's REALLY interesting is, last I knew, Universal Music (UMG) was run entirely (at least from an executive control standpoint) from within North America (and mostly out of the U.S....CA and NY to be exact).  So, I don't know who Johan's "source" is, but again, last time I checked, Universal Music doesn't have any "European Executives" or "high ranking Universal Bosses" outside of North America.  Universal Music International (UMI) does, but have NOTHING TO DO WITH TOP LEVEL DECISION MAKING at UMG OR INTERSCOPE.  UMG does own LABELS outside the U.S. and North America, and even publish and distribute outside the U.S. and North America (usually, but not always,through UMI), but the executive structure and major decision making is entirely housed in North America (and mostly in the U.S.).  

And another point:
Last I heard, UMG pretty much allowed each label to operate as a seperate entity, even though they were all under a common umbrella.  That means Interscope/Geffen executives make decisions about their label,  Island Def Jam executives makes decisions regarding their label, etc, etc.  While UMG is kept "in the loop", they do not make decisions about releases, artist signings, etc.  I haven't heard that's changed, and in light of UMG begin cut loose from Vivendi Universal, and UMG's more independant operation, I would be very surprised if it did, given how profitable this method has been.

Just thought that might add a bit to the conversations going on here.

hihi That's why he should have used Geffen or Interscope instead of Universal. Yeah, distributors are going to ax a record to recoup the money they never spent on it Roll Eyes

GirlGunner: Okay, I thought you were trying to say this guy might be telling the truth when its obvious he was talking out of his ass. I don't remember the sludge rumor, just the velvetrope tracklisting post. Either that guy heard about the GH coming out and he put his own spin on it (what Pure did with the VMA's, when the rumor had been floating around for about a week), or he made a lucky guess. But I'm sure the GH may poke its head up one day.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 08:08:02 PM by misterID » Logged

axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2004, 09:05:36 PM »

Is there no one accessing this message board that can answer one simple question about this band? Surely someone must know, or run into, at some point in time and space, a person like Del James or Tommy Stinson or Beta or Sean Beavan or Bryn Bridenthal who can shed some light on this situation.

Has Axl Rose been committed to an asylum, or is this album completed?

As long as we don't hear that they will soon enter the studio to put the finishing touches on it!!  

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
charl!edontsurf
Rocker

Axl doesn't surf either...

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2004, 02:20:46 AM »

I totally love darknemus' posts and do somewhat trust his info... but all I can keep thinking about is how he thought MFP was Axl.  rofl

VAN: 11-7-2002 (RIOT!)
TACOMA: 11-8-2002
LONDON: 6-7-2006
DUBLIN: 6-9-2006
PARIS: 6-20-2006
ZURICH: 7-1-2006
CGY: 12-6-2006
EDM: 12-7-2006
CGY: 1-16-2010
EDM: 1-17-2010
SEA: 12-16-2011
VAN:
darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2004, 07:54:40 AM »

I totally love darknemus' posts and do somewhat trust his info... but all I can keep thinking about is how he thought MFP was Axl.  rofl

I sure as hell did.  I won't deny that one Smiley  Of course, had I heard the entire track initially, I would have never drawn the same conclusion.  Oh well, at least that's one mystery that's now buried.

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
vortex05
Opening Act

Henshin-a-go-go baby!

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2004, 10:39:19 AM »

Nah, I don't believe it.  no

although mtv do have that info...(care of gnr_flyers on newgnr.com)

http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/guns_n_roses/359014/album.jhtml

mtv have not released any 'news' of the release, so i'm not yet convinced it's definate.
That Track list still hurts my eyes. I mean realy.. somethings really dont belong there...
Johan
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2004, 12:30:58 PM »

Gunners!
All I am saying is what I heard from my source(reliable).
Remember it?s againts the bands will. Maybe they will do their last
release with Universal by giving out "Greatest Hits".
It?s alot of money and politics involved(beyond our control), and maybe the band as well.
I will come back with more info later, until then wait for "greatest Hits".
/Johan
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2004, 12:52:58 PM »

Why would they release it through Universal? That's not their label.

misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2004, 01:06:17 PM »

It doesn't help your credibility by not responding. I didn't even ask you to name your source, just use a bit of logic.

Universal doesn't have a say over Geffen and its artist. What does your source say about Geffen breaking off on its own? Why would they try to re-coup the money spent on the recordings with a GH package with mostly covers on it? What was the breaking point that lead to this decision? Why is the band planning a concert if there's no reason to be a band anymore?

erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2004, 01:22:03 PM »

ok, this might sound stupid, but i don?t know much about record lables and shit like that.. could someone please explain the deal with geffen and interscope and universal..

why is there universal stickers on the gn?r albums i.e. here in norway... what has universal to do with anything at all... i?m confused as fuck here confused

some explenation is appreciated

« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 01:23:03 PM by erose » Logged

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2004, 01:32:12 PM »

ok, this might sound stupid, but i don?t know much about record lables and shit like that.. could someone please explain the deal with geffen and interscope and universal..

why is there universal stickers on the gn?r albums i.e. here in norway... what has universal to do with anything at all... i?m confused as fuck here confused

some explenation is appreciated

Pilferk explained it in this thread above, but Universal will distribute music from the labels in Europe. Geffen, Interscope and I believe A&M were working under Universal music. But Geffen (GNR's label) is breaking away, or has broken away from that group, but Universal Music will probably still distribute GNR's music in Europe. But the funny thing is, Universal doesn't have a say in decision making on the labels bands.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 01:33:17 PM by misterID » Logged

Bubba St. Rose
Headliner

Jim Norton is my dad. O&A Party Rocks!

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2004, 01:52:54 PM »

Gunners!
All I am saying is what I heard from my source(reliable).
Remember it?s againts the bands will. Maybe they will do their last
release with Universal by giving out "Greatest Hits".
It?s alot of money and politics involved(beyond our control), and maybe the band as well.
I will come back with more info later, until then wait for "greatest Hits".
/Johan
For crying out loud, I've been coming to this site for what seems like the better part of a decade and I still can't understand some of you people. For example, why don't people just name their "reliable source"? Nobody knows who you are and "your source" probably doesn't come to this site. Who are these people trying to protect and from what? Anytime someone says I have a source, i laugh. It's a joke. Out of he hundreds on here who say they have a source, maybe 1 or 2 actually do.
If I had a source, and I don't, I'd name name them, give you ALL the details and give away all the secrets. Until someone actually goes that far, I wouldn't believe very many people on this site...

Opie and Anthony XM Satellite Radio 202 High Voltage Spread the Virus
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2004, 02:20:49 PM »

Ok, I'm now through reading 3 pages of replies and I'm still in the same position I was yesterday before reading this thread; Chinese Democracy is coming out. GH album is not.

This first time poster's post doesn't even qualified as a rumour. No source, no names, nothing. Nada.

Shit, At least Raoxsle's posts are far more entertaining and interesting...By the way, where is Raxosle when we need him the most? any insight on this Raoxsle?

SLCPUNK
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2004, 03:07:24 PM »

Haven't we gone through all this already?  Huh Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: