|Velvet Revolver's "Contraband" was named fifth worst album of the year in the New York Daily News newspaper:
The year in music
The high notes and lowlifes booming out of our speakers
1. R.E.M., "Around The Sun." A slow gurgly mess. When will they admit it's over?
2. Lil' Jon, "Crunk Juice." Southern rap low enough to make 2 Live Crew seem like Tupac Shakur.
3. Ray Charles, "Genius Loves Company." Squeezing the last drop out of a legend when he was too weak to do his best.
4. Toby Keith, "Shock'n Y'All." "Patriotic" exploitation at its most cynical.
5. Velvet Revolver, "Contraband." Corny '80s hair-metal makes a return, opportunistically mislabeling itself as punk.