Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:24:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Request GN'R CD tracks today on AOL Radio using your Twitter page
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Request GN'R CD tracks today on AOL Radio using your Twitter page  (Read 35868 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2009, 01:08:01 AM »

Chinese Democracy is on, or was on, I paused it for a bit, but I'm listening to it now.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2009, 05:41:16 PM »

i caught catcher in the rye, prostitute and there was a time yesterday.
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #162 on: July 27, 2009, 01:45:43 AM »

This I Love was played earlier and Street of Dreams is on right now. Smiley

i think spreading ourselves too thin by requesting the entire album hurts us. you would have to listen for 5 hours straight to get 2 GNR songs while most people arent going to stick around after an hour or two. if they play Catcher or something at 5 o clock at night once during the week, how many people are going to hear it? they say that they play every requested song but it seems to me that the frequency of CD songs has gone down this time rather than up.

as opposed to this, the top ten requests like David Cook etc are played so often you just cant get away from them. thats what we need to shoot for next time - getting into the top ten.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #163 on: July 27, 2009, 05:42:12 AM »

i think spreading ourselves too thin by requesting the entire album hurts us. you would have to listen for 5 hours straight to get 2 GNR songs while most people arent going to stick around after an hour or two. if they play Catcher or something at 5 o clock at night once during the week, how many people are going to hear it? they say that they play every requested song but it seems to me that the frequency of CD songs has gone down this time rather than up.

Exactly.

Next time we hear news about AOL doing this again, we should run a poll for a few days to decide on which song we need to request. It may not be our favorite, but as Rabia said, people will hear that song over and over again.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #164 on: July 27, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »

Exactly.

Next time we hear news about AOL doing this again, we should run a poll for a few days to decide on which song we need to request. It may not be our favorite, but as Rabia said, people will hear that song over and over again.
Yeah, I've checked in from time to time and haven't heard a repeat GNR song but always hear the same songs from David Archuleta, David Cook, and some song from The Script, something about a Man.  I turn down the volume when those songs come on, but they play them quite frequently.  So I agree, we should run a poll.  Focus on 2 or 3 songs.  IS there a limit on tweets per hour like someone was saying?  And if so, do they let you know when you reach that limit?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2009, 01:01:50 PM »

yes they did say so i don't know exactly how many updates but i'm guessing 60ish like rabia said.

rabia, since you made 20 pages out of the 44, and every cd song got at least a few pages of request, you could have pushed a song to the top ten.  Wink cooks come back home got 45 pages and no1.

it's all voluntary it's a good idea for the forums to decide what song/few songs to push heavily but people should be free to tweet for other songs as well.

i personally love just every song on cd so whatever we decided i'd request all songs at least 3 times. Tongue
last time i rooted for scrapes sorry catcher more because of the weather.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2009, 02:47:19 PM »

the aolradio dude says

All Request station is going down tomorrow PM. Not sure when next Request thing will be
about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck

Might do something different next time
about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck

prostitute is on rt now. ask yourself why'd i choose to prostitue myself...
i've missed this i love, if the world, sorry scraped catcher in the rye cd Street of Dreams, it seems.
but it was amazing to hear twat rt after lady gaga' poker face' or before lily allen 'the fear'.
 they  rather matched well with one another!
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »

yes they did say so i don't know exactly how many updates but i'm guessing 60ish like rabia said.

rabia, since you made 20 pages out of the 44, and every cd song got at least a few pages of request, you could have pushed a song to the top ten.  Wink cooks come back home got 45 pages and no1.

it's all voluntary it's a good idea for the forums to decide what song/few songs to push heavily but people should be free to tweet for other songs as well.

i personally love just every song on cd so whatever we decided i'd request all songs at least 3 times. Tongue

if they had gone by my requests then This I Love would have been in heaviest circulation out of all CD songs. thats not what has happened. the thing is we have to look at the effectiveness of our efforts. every CD song is special but when theyre played so sporadically that nobody gets to hear them, there's not much utility to the exercise.

Ignatius, if you request the same song twice, ive noticed that the tweets dont go through. so we'll need to alternate at least two songs.

IRS was on just now.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »

if they had gone by my requests then This I Love would have been in heaviest circulation out of all CD songs. thats not what has happened. the thing is we have to look at the effectiveness of our efforts. every CD song is special but when theyre played so sporadically that nobody gets to hear them, there's not much utility to the exercise.

Naa what i'm saying that if you had requested just one song 300times, even when the others requested it only once or twice along with other songs, that could have easily gotten the song on heavy rotation..as seen with cooks.

if the result was everything, we could have made a few twitter accounts each and 100 pages of requests easy(err blooody 7hour nonstop tweeting might not be so easy...). But to me to get more people involved is more important. I'd love it if cooks fans for example listening to the radio for their requests liked a song or two off our requests.
Like i said it's not a bad idea to decide on our target song(s). Make a poll and get more forum fans interested. But you can't force people not to tweet for other songs they like. Or they'd be put off.
Its about our fun and personal choice. It's not about 'just shut up and request this!'.

also, i saw a few fans saying we shouldn't give support because blah...what a joke! They'd rather have the industry/others shove things down their throats than choose songs for themselves!

Ignatius, if you request the same song twice, ive noticed that the tweets dont go through. so we'll need to alternate at least two songs.

I didn't notice that.

But i think you could have tweeted for
 'Guns N Roses, THIS I LOVE #aolradiorequest'
And
'guns n roses this i love #aolradiorequest' by turns. Wink

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:01:23 AM by ppbebe » Logged
Chronada
Opening Act

« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2009, 04:16:30 PM »

I believe this is how it works, you could tweet the same song over and over as long as the post wasn't the exact same.

examples

Will not work.
Guns N' Roses, Prostitute. #aolradiorequest

Will work.
Guns N' Roses, Prostitute #aolradiorequest         <- notice the .
or
Guns N Roses, Prostitute. #aolradiorequest         <- notice the '

Hope that helps.
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »

Naa what i'm saying that if you had requested just one song 300times, even when the others requested it only once or twice along with other songs, that could have easily gotten the song on heavy rotation..as seen with cooks.

if the result was everything, we could have made a few twitter accounts each and 100 pages of requests easy(err blooody 7hour nonstop tweeting might not be so easy...). But to me to get more people involved is more important. I'd love it if cooks fans for example listening to the radio for their requests liked a song or two off our requests.
Like i said it's not a bad idea to decide on our target song(s). Make a poll and get more forum fans interested. But you can't force people not to tweet for other songs they like. Or they'd be put off.
Its about our fun and personal choice. It's not about 'just shut up and request this!'.

also, i saw a few fans saying we shouldn't give support because blah...what a joke! They'd rather have the industry/others shove things down their throats than choose songs for themselves!

I didn't notice that.

And

like i said tweeting the same thing twice meant it didnt go through though i'll try following chronada's tip next time- i was copying and pasting from the song list you drew up here. even when i alternated or went for 3 different songs i saw some tweets not going through. they would show up on my twitter but not on the aol request sheet.

also i doubt that with cooks it was one person sending those requests. like i said, the song i demanded the most was This I Love but it appears that prostitute is getting the most circulation though i didnt go for that one.

nobody is suggesting making 20 accounts etc. if The Script fans can get a song into the top 10, we should be able to do it too- its just about strategy. like you say the idea is to get more people involved and for them to like CD songs. it has become clear through experience that far more people will get exposed to it and have a chance to love it if it was in heavy circulation. like i said before,  the likelihood of somebody listening for five hours is not very high.

i dont see anybody here saying that people should be "forced" nor does anybody have the control required to do any such forcing. its just about examining what is it that we want to get out of this exercise- there's no conflict between enjoying ourselves and getting people to like CD and being strategic  while doing it.
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »

I believe this is how it works, you could tweet the same song over and over as long as the post wasn't the exact same.

examples

Will not work.

Will work.
Guns N' Roses, Prostitute #aolradiorequest         <- notice the .
or
Guns N Roses, Prostitute. #aolradiorequest         <- notice the '

Hope that helps.

thanks for the helpful tip. i'll try this out next time. Smiley
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2009, 12:11:05 AM »

I requested almost all the songs, but focussed primarily on If The World, Street of Dreams, and This I Love.  I must've requested those songs 30 times or so each.  But I never checked to see if they actually went through, I just took it for granted that they were.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2009, 10:39:28 AM »

faldor if you like,  go http://search.twitter.com/
and search for your twitter name and  #aolradiorequest to see it.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2009, 10:56:20 AM »

faldor if you like,  go http://search.twitter.com/
and search for your twitter name and  #aolradiorequest to see it.
Nothing comes up.  Don't tell me all my requests didn't go through?  Maybe it's just because they're a week old, they don't show up.  When I search for Guns N' Roses #aolradiorequest, only 3 requests show up from 6 days ago.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2009, 11:26:36 AM »

it should... try this http://search.twitter.com/search?q=guns+roses+%23aolradiorequest

then your twitter name....

And

like i said tweeting the same thing twice meant it didnt go through though i'll try following chronada's tip next time- i was copying and pasting from the song list you drew up here. even when i alternated or went for 3 different songs i saw some tweets not going through. they would show up on my twitter but not on the aol request sheet.

actually that's the same method i was trying to suggest to you there although admittedly its wasn't as clear as chronada's description.. Look carefully the two lines in my post aren't same.

Twitter isn't very stable.

also i doubt that with cooks it was one person sending those requests. like i said, the song i demanded the most was This I Love but it appears that prostitute is getting the most circulation though i didnt go for that one.

again you're missing the point. See the link i posted earlier. cook got More than Twice as many twitters as us. Seemingly cook fans with many requests tweeted for various songs except for a few who just stuck to come back to me.  no this is not the point yet.

That's not always the case with the other 7 acts in the top ten. Guess those songs are singles? With script they made about 100 pages just for one song and that's all i think.  

Still cook got 2 more songs (actually more than the 3 according to the aolradio dude) in the top 10.

See, one of those 3 got only 9 pages of tweets. http://search.twitter.com/search?max_id=2897948308&page=9&q=Cook+Permanent+%23aolradiorequest  

And the other with18 pages. Or 17, if you subtract the ones with odd dates.
http://search.twitter.com/search?q=David+Cook+bar+ba+sol++%23aolradiorequest

So there i figured 20 + some pages of requests for a song should have been adequate to make it to the top 10 this time. About the next time heaven knows.

nobody is suggesting making 20 accounts etc.

is anybody saying somebody is?

if The Script fans can get a song into the top 10,

they outnumbered us.

i dont see anybody here saying that people should be "forced" nor does anybody have the control required to do any such forcing.

Good then i don't get what you, and just you were getting at in my posts where i had said that i'm not against the idea to decide on the not compulsory but recommended songs many a time already.
As far as it's clearly optional it's fun for everybody.
I'll tweet for it/them more times than for other cd songs, unless otherwise suggested by the band or something by then.
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2009, 08:45:35 PM »

if the result was everything, we could have made a few twitter accounts each and 100 pages of requests easy(err blooody 7hour nonstop tweeting might not be so easy...). But to me to get more people involved is more important.

[/quote]

ppbebe, this is what i was referring to. i dont see anybody suggesting that we all make several accounts or that we make it "compulsory" to tweet for certain songs. like i said, what power does anybody here have to enforce such "compulsion"? what penalties has anybody proposed?

all that people are talking about is organizing ourselves, deciding collectively on songs through a poll. what part of this process appears so coercive to you that the word "compulsion" keeps coming up?

and i do disagree with you- the results ARE important. unless we're tweeting for the simple joy of tweeting.

during the first request session, we had a few people but the overall number of tweets was also lower. so the result was that if you listened for 5 hours you'd hear prostitute twice and Better at least once if not twice.

during the second request session, we had more people but we acheived less. frequency dropped to 2 songs every 5 hours. this makes little sense and if we keep following our scattered approach, frequency will drop even more next time as word gets out to more fan forums and other bands join the fray. "getting people involved" is best acheived by getting them to encounter CD and that is best acheived by reaching high circulatution. 

The Script fans have shown the strategic value of a focused approach. even though they have a whopping 100 pages, if they had been going for an entire album worth of songs, their strength would have dissipated significantly.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2009, 04:51:55 PM »

A few=20=several
Not everything=nothing important

Twist and shout!!!

come on baby confused
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2009, 07:36:09 PM »

A few=20=several
Not everything=nothing important

Twist and shout!!!

come on baby confused

perhaps you could have been clearer with a "few" and  "not everything" Smiley nobody suggested making even 3 accounts simultaneously so anxiety on that front is entirely unnecessary. one account each will suffice hopefully when we put on a collective front.  ok
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2009, 11:18:39 AM »

perhaps you could have been clearer with a "few" and  "not everything" Smiley nobody suggested making even 3 accounts simultaneously so anxiety on that front is entirely unnecessary. one account each will suffice hopefully when we put on a collective front.  ok

what! now in your logic you claim that I'm suggesting that people should make themselves clearer.

bullshit. no one could be clearer with these than 'if the result was everything, we could have...'

And that's just an example of your twists. I don't know how you can read my posts in such an original way.
I elaborate

if the result was everything, we could have made a few twitter accounts each and 100 pages of requests easy(err blooody 7hour nonstop tweeting might not be so easy...). But to me to get more people involved is more important.

ppbebe, this is what i was referring to. i dont see anybody suggesting that we all make several accounts or that we make it "compulsory" to tweet for certain songs.

neither do i. Where did I say anyone was? stop putting words to my mouth.

It's me if anyone was suggesting anything there, by means of a hypothesis.

And the suggestion was that the result is not everything,

The hypothesis was not about the future but in retrospect. I said 7 hours that's the time we had on 7/21 and I said could have not just could meaning the past that never happened /wasn't happening. Numbers like 100 pages, a few accounts each 7 hours nonstop tweeting should suggest very small number of people not all the people who'd tweet for GNR. Or I'd have said 2000pages.

I paraphrase the bit.

if you only aims at good marks, it can be simple like this

Back to july 21st
The two of us, rabia and me, could make a few accounts each, 6 accounts total. From an account you could tweet approx 15 pages in the given 7 hours. So our 6 accounts could make 90 Pages of tweets. 90 pages for a song or two. This with other fans proper tweets would secure100 pages of requests and at least 2 songs in the top ten.

In theory we could have done this last time. We could do this kind of thing next time. But would you?  I wouldn't. not only because I don't have that much time in hand. but also because that seems kinda wanky and hollow, too boring and tiring to me.

We are fans. Fans support the band for love, for fun. There's no owing business between fans and bands.

Tweet requesting is like a game. Players aim at winning but winning is not everything. what would you do if you heard not many people listen to it?
For me, a tweet for twat from a casual music fan means more than hundreds of automatic votes for a winning song.

That said,  if any time killer would  like to tweet nonstop from multiple accounts next time and on their own account, I'd say Go ahead, More power to them more requests to us.

i like i said, what power does anybody here have to enforce such "compulsion"? what penalties has anybody proposed?.... circulatution of twists and shouts!

again where i said anybody here has?  I said if anyone tried to do that everyone'd be put off.  Seeing as how we were inferior in numbers at there, I want people feel free and easy to participate in the next event. of their free will not out of a sense of obligation.  that's why i had to make it clear that it won't be "compulsion",  thinking that should be the last time.

No idea why you are so offended by that.

The Script fans have shown the strategic value of a focused approach. even though they have a whopping 100 pages,
When they could have sent 2/3 songs to the top 10 instead of 1.

Polly it's the only song the twitters like. as their pick was 08 single not the newer ones, I guess it actually their fav.

If you go by those 7 groups, shouldn't cd and better get focused on by rights?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:22:55 AM by ppbebe » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: