Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:55:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash says Velvet Revolver singer search is 'still ongoing'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash says Velvet Revolver singer search is 'still ongoing'  (Read 207513 times)
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 09:54:10 PM »

they should already know they're not gonna get any better than scott, all in all they did great with the grammy and all.

the new line up may please some hard core old school fans but i doubt it will be half as successful, wich will break up the band cuz all they see in money

p.s. except for duff cuz he's really down to earth

i don't think slash and duff are exactly hurting for money; and to a lesser extent matt

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 10:11:23 PM »

it may seem shocking but I think i'm exposed to more cultural diversity on my trip to work than you are in a year; unless you travel heavily-but as much as your on this site, i doubt it

Good for you.

The funny thing is that you're making a lot of assumptions and you know nothing about me.  hihi

You obviously haven't managed to figure out that most of what I read is written in English. So no matter if I'm in USA, England or Sweden, it's very likely that I've read or heard of that expression.  Smiley

/jarmo
tell me all about the assumptions I'm making about you?

the only assumption i make about you is you run a GnR forum and your a pretty big fan of them to do so.......other than that, you live in sweden................

it may seem shocking but I think i'm exposed to more cultural diversity on my trip to work than you are in a year; unless you travel heavily-but as much as your on this site, i doubt it

There you go.

Don't make assumptions about people you know nothing about.

By the way, Sweden has immigrants as well.

Being one myself, I should know.....
/jarmo

with a last name like Luukkonen; where did you immigrate from? sounds swedish hihi

riddle me this, if a person's last name ends in -ian, where would you say they come from?

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 10:16:01 PM »

tell me all about the assumptions I'm making about you?

the only assumption i make about you is you run a GnR forum and your a pretty big fan of them to do so.......other than that, you live in sweden................

There you go.

Don't make assumptions about people you know nothing about.

By the way, Sweden has immigrants as well.

Being one myself, I should know.....

/jarmo

Like the other Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, and Norway), Sweden is still ethnically homogenous (similar).

Most Swedes speak English and have cultural and family ties to the United States. Minorities include a small number of ethnic Finns and about 17,000 semi-nomadic Lapps (Saami) in the north; there are also more than half a million first generation immigrants, including Finns, Norwegians, Danes, former Yugoslavs, Greeks, Turks, Iranians, Chileans, and others. In the 1990s, Sweden received a large number of refugees from the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo (the former Yugoslavia), and since the mid-1980s, it also has received numerous ethnic Kurdish immigrants from the Middle East. Some 87 percent of Swedes are Lutherans, and there are small numbers of Roman Catholics, Orthodox Christians, Baptists, Muslims, Jews, and Buddhists.

talk about diversity, different versions of whites, what a cultural shock
http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Europe/Sweden.html
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 10:19:15 PM »

Who gives a flying fuck about who's place of residence is more diverse?
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 10:30:49 PM »

the owner
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 01:16:16 AM »

On topic maybe they will get Swedish immigrant from NYC?  Ha, kidding.  Does sound like they wanna be a real hard rock band again.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 07:47:56 AM »

the owner

No you do. I just pointed out the difference between Sweden and Switzerland. And how lumping them together makes you seem ignorant.  Smiley

That's when you started backpedaling and started posting all this "I live in a multicultural city and see more different cultures than you because you live in Sweden and never travel" crap.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 07:49:33 AM »

with a last name like Luukkonen; where did you immigrate from? sounds swedish hihi

actually, Luukkonen doesn't sound swedish at all.. in fact it's very finnish, wouldn't u know that with all the "cultural diversity you're exposed to on your trip to work".. of course it's more immigrants in your country when pretty much all of you imigrated to america, probably your own ancestors too right.. i bet you'd be surprised if u came to my little town with a population of 50 000 and see all the imigrants here.. anyway that's another discussion in another thread on another forum, couldn't help answering.. the american ignorance and dumbness is so provoking  Undecided
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »

VELVET REVOLVER looking for something different

You might think sounding like SCOTT WEILAND would be a plus if you wanted to be the new singer for VELVET REVOLVER. Apparently, it isn't. Former SPACEHOG singer ROYSTON LANGDON has been widely rumored as a frontrunner for Weiland's old gig, but SLASH recently told Entertainment Weekly that Landgon isn't what the band is looking for because his range is too similar to Weiland's. He says before Scott joined the band, they were headed in a heavier direction, and now that he's gone, they want to get back on that track.

http://93x.com/blog.asp?id=873656&SBID=4444

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 11:03:55 AM »

You know, outside of Bach, not many people have that range anymore it seems.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 11:23:39 AM »

but out in sweden or switzeland, or wherever the fuck your from; you've had to have heard the expression"be careful what you wish for"

European geography 101:

Sweden, Northern Europe.

Switzerland, Western Europe.

Hungary really is a country, and so is France.

Do they teach geography in Bumfuck or whenever the fuck you're from?

/jarmo

what the fuck is your point?  i'm sure in Sweden you've heard the expression be careful what you wish for? 

The city I live in probably has more people from more countries than the entire population of Sweden. 

as a northern european, now living in a city in western europe...less people has a LOT of advantages. who cares about people? they mostly suck Cheesy pfft...

and btw, Luukkonen doesn't sound swedish at all. it's a finnish name.
the language and names in Finland compared to the Scandinavian ones are extremely different.. Shocked
last names that end with "son" is normally swedish, if it ends with "sen" it's normally norwegian or danish.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:30:36 AM by Hillel Slovak » Logged

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
ToonGuns
Headliner

Invest in those memories!

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »

OH MY GOD.  Huh

Yet another thread that has turned into a pathetic pointless argument.  Angry

What is the problem on here?!

Anyway...

Here are my thoughts, having played in many bands over many years... when you want to form a band you generally have an idea of what/who you want to sound like and what direction you want the music to go. I am sure that Slash, Duff and Matt had an idea (which is probably where some of the best VR songs came from - the ones that were written before Scott joined the band such a Slither and Set Me Free).

However, as is the case with any band whoever you are, when you get new members, and new opinions come into play, the only way to keep the band together and stop arguments is to compromise. So, with Scott in the band Slash, Duff and Matt would have had to compromise more on their initial vision and mould the sonund around all 5 members keeping everyone happy. This was more evident on Libertad.

So why did they accept Weiland in the first place? I am sure they had a tonne of Axl soundalikes interested but I think they made a deliberate decision to stay away from that sound. And when someone with the profile of Scott came along how could they resist? The initial stuff they wrote together, as I have said, was great... Sometimes people make the wrong choices, but with the case of bands it is often very hard to make the right choice, and often you find yourself stuck with what you have got and willing to "put up with it" rather than throw it away essentially wasting the last few years of your life, in the knowledge that you are going to have to go down the same route again.

To be honest I think Scott leaving was a blessing for the whole band. Now we can find a proper ballsy singer.

A bad day in Rock N Roll is better than a good day at work!

Leeds Festival, UK - 23/08/2002
Download Festival, UK - 11/06/2006
Newcastle Arena, UK - 19/07/2006
Nottingham Arena, UK - 19/05/2012
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2008, 12:42:30 AM »

I'd rather hear something more ballsy and agressive. 
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 02:56:15 AM »

phil anselmo - imagine!
or that guy from damage plan
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 06:08:15 AM »

phil anselmo - imagine!
or that guy from damage plan

Either of those guys would be great! beer

Another contender I reckon would be someone like Sully Erna, since Godsmack aren't really doing anything at the moment.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 09:59:39 PM »

Basically, what we originally planned to do the first time around that was sort of molded differently when Scott came into it." The informal audition process, he adds, "is still ongoing. Now that we have the choice, we're gonna make sure we get the right guy."

Didn't they have the choice before?

Now he's saying VR became something that they originally didn't plan because of Scott.

But, wasn't he one of their top choices?

/jarmo

Undecided

VanityFair.de: What are your next plans?

Slash: We?re still looking for a new singer for my band Velvet Revolver which we are pretty diligent about, because we don?t want to make any compromises this time around. And I?m working on my solo record and a couple of other things which I?m quiet about.

$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 10:58:14 PM »

VELVET REVOLVER looking for something different

He says before Scott joined the band, they were headed in a heavier direction, and now that he's gone, they want to get back on that track.

sounds good to me smoking

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 12:29:57 AM »

John Corabi Declines Velvet Revolver Audition

John Corabi is interviewed on the Classic Metal Show...the VR mention is at 11:30.

Sun, 07 Sep 2008

He says that VR sent him some songs and asked him to come into the studio to record vocals....as great as the music was, at this point, he declined because he didn't want to take another established lead vocalists spot and be compared to Scott Weiland.  He just wrote the guys a letter 4-5 days ago and declined.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/theclassicmetalshow

Thanks to gunsnmotley
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:45:12 AM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 12:35:35 AM »

now that guy has some serious integrity beer

its a shame though, that would have been really cool to see him work with those guys

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 09:58:46 AM »

John Corabi Declines Velvet Revolver Audition

John Corabi is interviewed on the Classic Metal Show...the VR mention is at 11:30.

Sun, 07 Sep 2008

He says that VR sent him some songs and asked him to come into the studio to record vocals....as great as the music was, at this point, he declined because he didn't want to take another established lead vocalists spot and be compared to Scott Weiland.  He just wrote the guys a letter 4-5 days ago and declined.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/theclassicmetalshow

Thanks to gunsnmotley

Damn, that's a shame, I reckon he would've been an awesome frontman for VR.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: