Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash says that Axl only has a couple of songs with vocals on it
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash says that Axl only has a couple of songs with vocals on it  (Read 68703 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2004, 09:51:05 PM »

Fifteen million dollars doesn't just pay for Cola Cola and Jelly Beans and Blockbuster movie rentals.
rofl

Slash was speaking out of line and without first hand knowledge of what was true.
yes
its that simple
 ok

Just came from the supermarket.  Duff is featured in Bass Guitar magazine.

Duff (on the songwriting process in GN'R)

"We wrote the music without Axl."

...and the hits just keep on coming!

IF they wrote the music without Axl then how did Axl hear that opening riff to SCOM and love it and make sure it showed up on AFD?

Wow more bullshit, gotta love it

Here is DUFF quote about writing songs for AFD.

DUFF: If one person brings in a song to this band, it always gets raped by the other four people. It always gets changed around to where its Guns N' Roses.

I think he means 3 other people if axl was never there  rofl
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 09:55:21 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
badapple81
« Reply #221 on: June 20, 2004, 10:19:46 PM »

Fifteen million dollars doesn't just pay for Cola Cola and Jelly Beans and Blockbuster movie rentals.
rofl

Slash was speaking out of line and without first hand knowledge of what was true.
yes
its that simple
 ok

Just came from the supermarket.  Duff is featured in Bass Guitar magazine.

Duff (on the songwriting process in GN'R)

"We wrote the music without Axl."

...and the hits just keep on coming!

Of course they did   Roll Eyes

I think Duff must have been drunk. Or perhaps referring to post 1993 GNR when the guys were writing their own stuff, and Axl writing his?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2004, 06:46:03 AM »

im sure there were songs that duff,slash and izzy were sittin around jammin and after they got finished axl got the music to write lyrics to

axl doesnt play really any instrument but piano, so songs that had no piano im sure axl didnt pick up a guitar and say here ya go slash try this guitar melody

so the songs like dont damn me, im sure they wrote the music axl got the music and wrote lyrics for it

its not that he didnt hear the music he just didnt create it

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2004, 07:53:11 AM »

im sure there were songs that duff,slash and izzy were sittin around jammin and after they got finished axl got the music to write lyrics to

axl doesnt play really any instrument but piano, so songs that had no piano im sure axl didnt pick up a guitar and say here ya go slash try this guitar melody

so the songs like dont damn me, im sure they wrote the music axl got the music and wrote lyrics for it

I agree. One thing to add: Axl's piano playing improved a lot by trying to make NR perfect. He wasn't really good earlier, on the UYI tour he played really good, and I have a feeling that he's now better than ever.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
KOK
Headliner

« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2004, 10:01:35 AM »

So you think it would not bi posible thet he would show Slash a melody on a piano and than ask him to play it on a guitar
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2004, 10:34:29 AM »

not for a heavy song

and he already credited slash for estranged so i seriously doubt it

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
darkmonth
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2004, 11:29:56 AM »

So you think it would not bi posible thet he would show Slash a melody on a piano and than ask him to play it on a guitar

Look... I've been in bands for many years now.  Every band I have been in is the same.... the musicians write the music, and the singer writes the lyrics and main vocal melody.  Then they all suggest stuff to each other in rehearsal.  Stop trying to glorify anything Axl did into anything more than he did.  What Axl did was an integral part of GnR and without him, yes GnR, would not have been the band it was... however, without any of them, GnR would not have been the band it was.  They all played a massive role and no one here has ANY right... not at all, to take that away from them.  If Duff says they wrote the music without Axl, he means the band wrote the music, and the singer (Axl) didn't.  Hearing a guitar part and saying how cool it is, it should be on the album, is NOT writing!

Fuck sake... I hate when people who know shit about it, start talking about music and writing etc....
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2004, 06:49:40 PM »

Look... I've been in bands for many years now.  Every band I have been in is the same.... the musicians write the music, and the singer writes the lyrics and main vocal melody.  Then they all suggest stuff to each other in rehearsal.  Stop trying to glorify anything Axl did into anything more than he did.  What Axl did was an integral part of GnR and without him, yes GnR, would not have been the band it was... however, without any of them, GnR would not have been the band it was.  They all played a massive role and no one here has ANY right... not at all, to take that away from them.  If Duff says they wrote the music without Axl, he means the band wrote the music, and the singer (Axl) didn't.  Hearing a guitar part and saying how cool it is, it should be on the album, is NOT writing!
Fuck sake... I hate when people who know shit about it, start talking about music and writing etc....

I do not argue your point that 'hearing a guitar part and saying how cool it is, it should be on the album, is NOT wriitng.

Further I TOTALLY AGREE that no one here has ANY right... not at all, to take (credit for their contributions) away from them.

and to take that a step further - no one INCLUDING THE BAND MEMBERS - should take credit away from the other band members for their contributions.

Even IF Axl ONLY came up with meodlies, to simply say that they "wrote the music without Axl" is not an accurate or fair statement.  

You don't need to be a professional musician or otherwise to understand that the melody is an integral part of the music writing process.

And that is NOT to say that Axl's contribution composition wise was limited to the vocal melody.  I cite it because that aspect of his contribution (so far) has not been challenged (in this discussion).

Duff's statement (at the very least) was oversimplified and misleading.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2004, 06:51:45 PM »

He also says that they had to "make a drummer out of Steven"

I think that is taking something away from Steven, IMHO.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2004, 07:13:37 PM »

Duff also said Contraband was the MOST DANGEROUS ALBUM HE HAS EVER WORKED ON. Don't believe everything Duff says. Axl did alot more then just writing the lyrics. They might of all been there, but Axl did more then just dot some lyrics.

GnR wouldnt of been anything close to what it is now if it wasnt for Axl. Hit lyrics are incredible. If it wasnt for Axl SCOM wouldnt exsist. After all it was Axl that convinced Slash it was great and then wrote lyrics for it.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
SlashFan
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2004, 03:11:14 AM »

I think everyone knows that it doesn't really matter who wrote any of the songs.Anyone can write a song but it takes more than one person to make the songs great.November Rain was on Illusion 1 credited to Axl Rose,but as we see on the Greatest Hits it's credited to more than just Axl.Most likely the band,all of the member had ideas that worked in that song,just like VR and GN'R,not just 1 person really writes the songs.That's just what I think smoking
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: