Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:17:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Steven Adler Wants His Book "My Appetite For Destruction" Made Into A Movie
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steven Adler Wants His Book "My Appetite For Destruction" Made Into A Movie  (Read 10606 times)
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »

I just want to say to Steven... Relax dude... He missed what 4-5 years? 

4 or 5 years?  its been 20 years, GNR hasn't gone anywhere.  Also those 4-5 years you refer to were the glory years of the band, when they were the biggest band on the planet, playing gigs 5X the size of anything Adler ever played.  Their first headlining arena tour was with Sorum, so Adler didn't even get to to do that.

I thought the Illusions pissed on all over Appetite, and to me Appetite is a near perfect record, so that makes the Illusions god-like in my eyes.

Stevens drumming is average, and fits Appetite well, but certainly doesn't make the record.  Personally a little too much cowbell for my taste, and he smiles when hes playing too much...that bothers me... hihi

I thought the re-recorded drums on the '99 version of Sweet Child from Big Daddy were better than anything Steven did.  I think it was Freese on drums there.  Its no wonder Axl talked about re-recording Appetite specifically to fix the drum situation.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 01:21:25 PM »

It's been 20 years and not a day goes by where you don't hear an AFD song on the radio. I haven't heard a Chinese Democracy song on the radio since 2008.

Adler missed a chance to tour all the material he had a hand in creating when the band was at the peak of it's popularity, but he didn't miss much else in my opinion.
The band started to die when he left. They were still the best live act possibly of all time over the next couple of years, but the end was in sight. I believe I read his departure was one of the many reasons Izzy left, and in my opinion, Izzy leaving killed the band.

I love the Illusions as much as AFD, and I think Sorum's drumming on it is great, but you can't discount the fact that he came in after Adler and the band already had done the dirty work.

Adler helped shape most, if not every song that was on the Illusions. I have multiple demo versions of most UYI tracks, most with Adler behind the kit. Hell, even Spaghetti era songs were being worked out when he was in the band. Gilby and Sorum essentially came in after the creative process was over.

Axl re-recording AFD is about as good an idea as Adler's Appetite doing the same. No interest in hearing it.
It's one of, if not the greatest hard rock albums of all time. Leave it alone.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:39:08 PM by LongGoneDay » Logged
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 02:38:14 PM »

Good luck with that Steven. Getting this bunch of people to agree on anything let alone to give permission to use there likenesses in a movie will never happen.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 07:48:34 PM »

name one song on CD that even comes close to Paradise City drum wise

U can never have enough Cowbell.

/argument

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »

name one song on CD that even comes close to Paradise City drum wise

U can never have enough Cowbell.

/argument

I can name several, but that will only degenerate this discussion into something unnecessary  peace

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »

Go anywhere and play ONLy PC drumbeat and i guarantee almost everyone knows what the song is

It is damn near We Will Rock You iconic

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »

Go anywhere and play ONLy PC drumbeat and i guarantee almost everyone knows what the song is

It is damn near We Will Rock You iconic

yes, but that can also be played by any 5 year old with a starter kit.  That drum beat hardly made the song, I thought Axl's voice and Slash's solos made that song.

By the way "You Could Be Mine" has the best drum beat of any "old guns" song, and that was not played by Steven Adler.

I'm not discrediting the drumming of Guns N Roses, but GNR has never really been known as a "drummers band" like Zeppelin or Dream Theater.  They have good rock n roll drumming but not great, where they excel past everyone else is Axl's songwriting/voice and their guitar playing.

I would also like to point out how you guys are defending Steven Adler to the death, but until recently he has done nothing but shit on GNR, Axl, and "Chines Democracy" for the last 10 years.  But now he has some weird delusion that a reunion is going to happen so he is kissing Axl's ass again.  I love how in his mind he thinks he can just completely waste his life for the  last 20 years and just step back into the band..dude needs to get over it.  Although if a reunion ever did happen, I would love to see his reaction when he watches Matt Sorum step behind the kit at the first show.. hihi
suicide
VIP

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 05:07:45 AM »

By the way "You Could Be Mine" has the best drum beat of any "old guns" song, and that was not played by Steven Adler.
According to this page there should be a demo version of YCBM with Steven behind the drums: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/misc/recordingsessions.html
I don't think I ever heard it. Does anyone have that demo?
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »

You Could be Mine was written by 1987, if not earlier, originally slated to be released on AFD.
I have demos for most of the UYI tracks, but can't remember off the top of my head if I've heard the YCBM.
I have a hard time imagining the beat changing drastically. Only big difference I would think is that Sorum possibly added to it, like the intro(which is the balls) but who knows, maybe he didn't.

I personally don't care what Steven says or thinks of Sorum, or Axl and the current lineup, or whatever any of the former members and Axl have to say about each other.
They have all at one point said disparaging things about each other in the press, which to us sounds childish, but we aren't them. We weren't there, and I'm sure they have their reasons.

If I based my opinion of them on what they say publicly, it wouldn't be a very high one. I love their music, and am not going to try and discredit anyones involvement.
Adler helped shape all of the classic GN'R era records. Matt Sorum came in, played great, Gilby held his own live and at the time it appeared the band didn't skip a beat.
But in hindsight, that era of GN'R was finished as a productive band creatively once Adler and Stradlin were gone.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:19:28 AM by LongGoneDay » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »

steven said on twitter the other day he wrote YCBM intro.

Bodhi i dont care bout technical.. I dont want a robot or a drum machine. i want a guy with feel,soul and swing.

Steven by far leads in all those depts

Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »

I agree with D. I'm aware of Steven's limitations as a drummer, but I still think he was the perfect fit for that band.  I like ALL of the members.  I love Steven's drumming on It's So Easy...it really drives the song IMO.  Out to Get Me and Rocket Queen also have good drumming.  It wasn't until I saw Adler's Appetite live that I realized how much Steven brought.  At the end of the day, Steven has a lot of great songs under his belt.   I was a huge fan of Adler's EP too, I think there are some great songs on it, and I think Steven works with some great musicians that are kind of under the radar.  I also thought Baby Can't Drive was one of the best songs on Slash's album, and one of the few songs where Slash had his classic tone.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:27:15 PM by Trist805 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: