Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:25:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GN'R Start Rehearsals ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R Start Rehearsals ?  (Read 10837 times)
Christian
VIP

« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2006, 11:50:37 AM »

Well, i know wikipedia is not a very good source.. but
that says "Appetite For Destruction" was recorded in 3 studios..
One of them was Take One Studio, Burbank, Calif?rnia.
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2006, 11:53:28 AM »

Well, i know wikipedia is not a very good source.. but
that says "Appetite For Destruction" was recorded in 3 studios..
One of them was Take One Studio, Burbank, Calif?rnia.

This would be in the liner notes of the album too, I believe... too bad I don't have a copy of AFD handy to check...

I don't know why they'd want to rehearse in a studio though, wouldn't it get a little cramped in there?

GNRevolution... the missing link.
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2006, 01:48:49 PM »

I guess some fans know the old lives only from the official releases.
Or they think a pushed throaty voice is stronger than the refined clear one that carries well.

I think most people do. Like me for example.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2006, 02:27:30 PM »

I guess some fans know the old lives only from the official releases.
Or they think a pushed throaty voice is stronger than the refined clear one that carries well.

I think most people do. Like me for example.

Really? I mean the voice when he shouted himself hoarse? Maybe an American thing.
On the other hand, I hear many say the throaty voice put them off.

You better get used to hear clear voices. I guarantee you'll come to love them.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2006, 06:31:46 PM »

Yesterdays was shot at a hangar at Santa Monica Airport ok
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2006, 06:51:07 PM »

Hangar makes sense.  Keep in mind it's not just about playing the tunes.  They have to work out the stage, lighting, sounds systems, how the crew breaks it all down and put it all together in different configurations for different venues, etc.

that would be a huge waste of money....this doesn't happen...trust me.

Yes, yes it does.  The crew need to know how to get stuff from one venue to the next the quickest and in the most effective way possible.   Without practise, this doesn't happen.
darkmonth
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2006, 08:17:10 PM »

I completely disagree with your assessment of Axl's vocals on the 2002 tour.  His voice sounded far stronger and healthier than it did during most of the Illusion tour.

As far as Axl not rehearsing with the band, he admitted to that during the 01-01-01 show.  It's not like they need him there to run through the songs, anyway.

Ali

You are UTTERLY wrong... there is no opinion on this one ... it's pure fact... sure his voice may have been clearer ... but he was still missing 90% of his notes. He was CRAP at singing live... sorry, no two ways about it.  And the band doesn't need him there to rehearse... no that's very true... but he needs to fucking rehearse so he can get good at singing... you know ... ready for that world tour they're apparently planning?

LOL!  Jeez, wake up and smell the shit vocals!  I LOVE Axl's stage energy, and GnR shows are incredible (the old lineup kicked ass)... but man, admit it... Axl CAN'T sing live very well!!!  Don't take one or two vocal lines that he did well, and suddenly make out he's an amazing vocalist... his recorded stuff is stunning because he can re-record over and over to get it right.

If he'd only rehearse with the band, he could be a great singer.  Axl's best vocal days BY FAR... and YOU have to even admit this... were when he was touring right around the Appetite for Destruction days ... man, he could sing amazing!  Because he rehearsed with the band back then...

If you don't rehearse, you can't stay good... that's fact.
AmyRose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2006, 09:27:43 PM »

It's soooo clear that Axl's voice sounded the best durning the 2002 tour.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2006, 09:38:30 PM »

The sound boards dont do axls voice justice. If you were at a show live, you would know how great he sounded

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2006, 10:13:53 PM »

he sounded great to me in 2002, but i'll say this... i think he put more in to the new songs

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
elmir
VIP

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2006, 02:15:56 AM »

Yes, yes it does.  The crew need to know how to get stuff from one venue to the next the quickest and in the most effective way possible.   Without practise, this doesn't happen.

this is how big productions work:

the artists (GNR in this case) rehearse in their own space, getting their performance and itinerary right.
they communicate their schedule and progress to event producers who then in turn relay messages to event and stage directors....this goes on for a good few months...artist has NOTHING to do with stage set up and layout (although in this case, I'm sure Axl would want to know what is going on) until about a week before the event...then rehearsals and daily soundchek setups happen with the artist at the venue itself.

the crew in the meantime work out their schedules and a transport manager sorts out logistics when it comes to transport and equipment. this has nothing to do with the band, GNR's management gets daily status reports with regards to this.

Recreating RIR stage in some hangar in LA is a waste of money for everyone.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 02:19:05 AM by theProject » Logged

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2006, 02:33:36 AM »

I completely disagree with your assessment of Axl's vocals on the 2002 tour.? His voice sounded far stronger and healthier than it did during most of the Illusion tour.

As far as Axl not rehearsing with the band, he admitted to that during the 01-01-01 show.? It's not like they need him there to run through the songs, anyway.

Ali

You are UTTERLY wrong... there is no opinion on this one ... it's pure fact... sure his voice may have been clearer ... but he was still missing 90% of his notes. He was CRAP at singing live... sorry, no two ways about it.? And the band doesn't need him there to rehearse... no that's very true... but he needs to fucking rehearse so he can get good at singing... you know ... ready for that world tour they're apparently planning?

LOL!? Jeez, wake up and smell the shit vocals!? I LOVE Axl's stage energy, and GnR shows are incredible (the old lineup kicked ass)... but man, admit it... Axl CAN'T sing live very well!!!? Don't take one or two vocal lines that he did well, and suddenly make out he's an amazing vocalist... his recorded stuff is stunning because he can re-record over and over to get it right.

If he'd only rehearse with the band, he could be a great singer.? Axl's best vocal days BY FAR... and YOU have to even admit this... were when he was touring right around the Appetite for Destruction days ... man, he could sing amazing!? Because he rehearsed with the band back then...

If you don't rehearse, you can't stay good... that's fact.

True in ways but when I saw Guns in Toronto back in 2002 Axl sounded better than many of the boots and official live performances I've heard.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2006, 03:25:03 AM »

The sound boards dont do axls voice justice. If you were at a show live, you would know how great he sounded

At points in the show. But he missed a ton of notes..

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2006, 03:38:50 AM »

It's soooo clear that Axl's voice sounded the best durning the 2002 tour.

No way, just listen to the boots... I think he gets out of his vocal range a lot with certain songs.. Something like madagascar is in his range because it's almost like a talking song.. I've heard him on songs like RQ and it didn't sound good or wttj....  I sure as hell hope he's practicing, and he needs to cut down on running around, it really hurts to sing if you are winded
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2006, 03:40:22 AM »

I agree with Mike. Think About You was crap. RQ wasn't as strong. We need to face facts and truth that Axl wasn't in good shape in 2002 and his singing suffered.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2006, 04:50:34 AM »

I agree with Mike. Think About You was crap. RQ wasn't as strong. We need to face facts and truth that Axl wasn't in good shape in 2002 and his singing suffered.

I forget what show it was from but I heard november rain, and it wasn't the vocals that caught my attention, it was the terrible first half of the double solo in the middle of the song((neither was good but the first was worse)... Horrible whoever it was playing it... There's no more BH saving the day with a great PC finish or nightrain, I hope the guys have worked on their old songs if they are planning on playing them..
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2006, 04:55:38 AM »

I think "Think about you" instrumental in 2002 was absolutely huge. Axl wasn't as good vocally as his AFD days (best vocals ever), but dudes, have you noticeds how the instrumental sounded huge in 2002? Fortus was taking the lead (wow, he did an awesome job) and Brain was crazy on drums? Shocked

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
darkmonth
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2006, 05:16:49 AM »

Finally some people agreeing... dave, you're blinded, as well as others... Axl's voice was NOT better ... his BEST voice is in the mid to late 80's, when he was still fresh, and he put fucking effort into practicing with the band ... you know ... kinda what he's SUPPOSED to do as Lead Singer?!!

God, it fucks me off that people can't see it.  I LOVE Axl's Energy on stage ... don't get me wrong.... but people are confusing energy on stage, for a good vocal.  You are remembering what you WANT to remember.  He's got some work to do before he'll rank alongside the greatest vocalists in the world.... Go and listen to a Queen concert....

Listen to the records... then go listen to the live stuff... You'll notice how amazing Freddy's voice is through the live stuff... he rehearsed... he sang ALL the time... he practiced.  He was a perfectionist.... I don't think Axl is... Axl's biggest priority is the record.  Which I for one and annoyed by.  I want him to take time out to make his voice better live, for the fans who will pay a shit load to see him.
Elle
Headliner

« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2006, 05:32:20 AM »

^ I kinda agree with you. To say Axl's vocals were amazing in 2002 is wrong. In 1992 his voice sounded rough and tired and I agree that in 2002 he sounded clearer but he did still miss a lot of notes. doesn't mean I didn't bloody well enjoy the gig, it was amazing to see Axl on stage. I'm just not deaf to the fact that he isn't the best live singer i've seen - maybe it is a lack of practice thing and i hope he works on it for this tour.

'If we could take the time to lay it on the line
I could rest my head
Just knowin' that you were mine
All mine'
darkmonth
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2006, 06:44:17 AM »

Well yeah, that's what I'm saying... he CAN'T sing very well live... however... he puts on a fucking incredible show.... the 90's Illusions shows are regarded as having some of the greatest live gigs ever ... and Axl still shows he's got energy on stage... but my beef wasn't with how good a show he puts on, or how much enoyment he gives... they were with the awful problems he has with his voice that would be rectified with practice with the band!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: