Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:11:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses Files Lawsuit against Greatest Hits
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses Files Lawsuit against Greatest Hits  (Read 85903 times)
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2004, 04:36:42 PM »

I'm just glad this press release mentioned SOMETHING about CHINESE DEMOCRACY.

Has anyone noticed how Geffen never mentions Chinese Democracy or the new album in their press releases?? Only Sanctuary (management) does. I think that's kinda weird.

AC
Rocker

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2004, 04:39:14 PM »

Has anyone noticed how Geffen never mentions Chinese Democracy or the new album in their press releases?? Only Sanctuary (management) does. I think that's kinda weird.

Agreed!

AA.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
w.axlrose
Headliner

truefan4life

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2004, 04:40:59 PM »

boo hoo

its about time someone pissed off axl, he's been getting his own way for years and now something has back fired, unlucky axl, maybe this will teach u not to piss people off.

I READ THE INTERNET, I KNOW WHAT'S GOIN' ON
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2004, 05:07:12 PM »

Pilferk, I have a question for you: Given all of the speculation throughout the previous 6 pages, one thing that strikes me is this:  How could Axl possibly prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he is not in breach of contract here?  Surely, Geffen's defense will simply state that Mr. Rose has not released an album of original material in 14 years?
  Geffen can show that they've released multiple archival releases in throughout the years in the hopes that eventually Axl would wrap CD up and hold up his end, so to speak.  Regardless of any special clauses present in Axl's contract, I'd suspect that there can't possibly be something that allows for that much leeway regarding a new release...Geffen can cite the continuous stream of money they've invested in the project as motivation for Axl to complete it, and despite CD's perceived commercial viability, Geffen has simply attempted to recoup some of their investment here.  Granted, we all know Axl hasn't been working on this record for that entire time period, however I just don't see how Axl will justify such delay and procrastination.
kockstar99
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2004, 05:09:09 PM »

maybe Geffen isnt 100 percent sure they are going to ever release it.. IF they were to speak of it then they would be acknowledging that its something they plan on putting out.... If they ever tell Axl to go to hell they save themselves from getting mud in the eye or in a court of law acknowledging they were planning on a release of it..
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2004, 05:11:50 PM »

Slash took the second Snakepit album to Koch and got them to release it. I think Geffen let him go...

Duff didn't get his second solo album.....

/jarmo

Duff's second solo album was never released but you can still get hold of it though on the net

I was thinking even if Geffen does have the master copies of Chinese Democracy releasing it would be dumb

Greatest Hits needs no tour or promotion by the band, it needs no new music videos

Chinese Democracy needs videos and tours if Geffen just put it out would Axl tour anyway fuck no he would be so pissed they'd have another lawsuit on their hands
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2004, 05:16:04 PM »

HAHA THis is great.  I bet Axl threatend them, if they release it he will sue.  I bet they didn't believe him and didn't have the balls to do so and guess what he did.  This drama is great. smoking
rocktar81
Leaving this board
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2004, 05:17:18 PM »

W. Axl Rose is joined by former band members Slash and Duff McKagan in bringing the action against Geffen Records.

GREAT! it makes my day... Smiley
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2004, 05:19:38 PM »

Pathetic, truley pathetic

They wait till its released - and then protest. Who are they trying to fool?

Even we have known about the GH for months and they choose now to object. This is pathetic.

Perhaps all they needed to prove a breech in contract was a release and a store bought copy and recipt in their hands.

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
kockstar99
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2004, 05:24:40 PM »

W. Axl Rose is joined by former band members Slash and Duff McKagan in bringing the action against Geffen Records.

This is line was obviously included to get the backing and public support of Slash, and Duffs fans as well...
insupportofaxl
Optimist
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2004, 05:25:16 PM »

Okay, I just got back from Dan Marino's tavern and damn......I have a buzz.........and god damn there are a lot of posters on this site right now ok

I just hope whatever happens doesn't delay CD.....more time and more waiting is what we'll get no doubt Shocked
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2004, 05:35:19 PM »

It means absolutely NOTHING...

but it sure was nice to read.  ok
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2004, 05:49:48 PM »

Guns N' Roses Members Sue Label To Block Greatest Hits CD
03.15.2004 5:40 PM EST  

Singer W. Axl Rose, guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan have joined forces once again. No, they're not re-forming the original Guns N' Roses, they're suing former label Geffen Records to block the release of a compilation album due March 23.

The musicians filed their civil suit in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, seeking a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction against the Greatest Hits disc (see "Guns N' Roses' Greatest Due In March, But Axl May Intervene"). The bandmembers claim they had no say in the choice of songs, artwork, release date or re-mastering.

In a press statement, the band's management said, "Not only will audiences be misled into believing that the planned compilation is an authorized release, but [the Greatest Hits album] will hinder the release of the band's long-awaited new studio album, Chinese Democracy."

The press statement added that "there has been a massive outcry among the band's loyal audience against the Greatest Hits record" and that the fans "believe the track selection is fundamentally flawed, does not reflect the band's best work and is clearly not the ultimate package that would be selected by the band or their fanbase if they were given the opportunity."

?Jon Wiederhorn

http://www.mtv.com/

Guns N' Roses Sues To Block 'Greatest Hits'

As tipped here last month, current and former members of Guns N' Roses have filed a lawsuit against Geffen Records in an attempt to block what they call the "unauthorized release" of a pending best-of collection. The "Greatest Hits" set, due March 23, is tipped to feature such favorites as "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Patience" and "Paradise City."

In an interesting twist, former GNR principals Slash and Duff McKagan have joined lone current original member Axl Rose in filing the lawsuit, which seeks a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction against the issuing of "Greatest Hits."

The band claims it was not consulted on the track list, artwork or the remastering of the chosen songs. In a statement released by the group's management at the Sanctuary Group, Rose expresses concern that "not only will [the] audience be misled into believing that the planned compilation is an authorized release, but that it will hinder the release of the band's long-awaited new studio album, 'Chinese Democracy.'"

The statement references a "massive outcry among the band's loyal audience," over a "track selection [that] is fundamentally flawed, does not reflect the band's best work and is clearly not the ultimate package that would be selected by the band or [its] fan base if they were given the opportunity."

The suit adds further doubt to the uncertain future of "Chinese Democracy," a project that has dragged on for years amid personnel changes within Guns N' Roses and a disastrous 2002 comeback tour. No firm date has been given for its appearance.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

http://www.billboard.com/

/jarmo
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 05:54:07 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
badapple81
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2004, 05:54:06 PM »

1. I just dont understand why it took so long, why so late when its days away from release?

2. Its cool that the band know about all (well most) of our disgust at the GH package  ok
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2004, 06:23:57 PM »

Guns N' Roses Members Sue Label To Block Greatest Hits CD

?Jon Wiederhorn

http://www.mtv.com/

If everyone here rants for a few seconds @ MTV they will no doubt make a "You Tell Us!" feature on the GH.

Anyways, this is the first official statement Sanctuary has made about this correct?  Wouldn't that mean that all the other reports of the Greatest Hits CD being "against the band and Axl's wishes" stems from what Mysteron has posted on this website?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2004, 06:45:07 PM »

Pilferk, I have a question for you: Given all of the speculation throughout the previous 6 pages, one thing that strikes me is this:  How could Axl possibly prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he is not in breach of contract here?  Surely, Geffen's defense will simply state that Mr. Rose has not released an album of original material in 14 years?
  Geffen can show that they've released multiple archival releases in throughout the years in the hopes that eventually Axl would wrap CD up and hold up his end, so to speak.  Regardless of any special clauses present in Axl's contract, I'd suspect that there can't possibly be something that allows for that much leeway regarding a new release...Geffen can cite the continuous stream of money they've invested in the project as motivation for Axl to complete it, and despite CD's perceived commercial viability, Geffen has simply attempted to recoup some of their investment here.  Granted, we all know Axl hasn't been working on this record for that entire time period, however I just don't see how Axl will justify such delay and procrastination.

Here's the simple answer: If Axl was actually in breech...Geffen would have sued him by now.  While you and I can't imagine a contract that would allow for so much procrastinating on GnR's part, from a new release standpoint, considering what's transpired so far....I have to assume that's exactly what exists.  Again, having not actually SEEN the contract, I'm only guessing.  But, if there were hard deadlines (album 1 by such and such a date, album 2 by such and such a date) built into the contract, and Axl/Gnr were missing them (wildly), Geffen would have taken legal action...at least to recoup their advance and expenses.  Given there hasn't been any.....I think there's really only one logical assumption to make.

As for using GH to recoup some of their investment...well, that doesn't really work as a legal defense.  IF they don't have complete control over the previously released material, they can't release it just because they feel they've been ill-used.  The court would say "That may well be, but you can't breech the contract simply because you feel ill used.  If you feel you need renumeration, you would need to ask the court for that...you can't just take matters into your own hands".  That's mostly why I think it's a matter of contract language interpretation.  Geffen's not stupid...they're not going to knowingly violate the contract for ANY reason...doing so would be very, very bad, and have huge repurcussions.  However, if the language is even remotely vague, no judge is going to majorly penalize someone for misinterpretation.  They might explain the legal language, interpret it as they understand it, and slap the "misinterpreter" on the wrist a bit, but that would be about it.

We'll just have to wait and see.  I'm thinking, unless the two parties settle, we'll get LOTS of answers when the case hits court.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2004, 06:46:42 PM »

Another fucked up day to be a Gnr fan!

I dont blame them for trying to block the release, as its a lame ass excuse for an album.

The consequences as discussed though could either mean 1 of 2 things:-

1. Chinese Democracy gets released soon.

2. Chinese Democracy gets released when Axl is 80 and i am 59 or never at al.

As a pessimist im leaning toward the latter and look forward to some more official news with regards to this from The Band, Sanctuary,Axl,Slash,Duff, Geffen.

At least its interesting, and thanks Pilf, its nice to see someone with intelligence, posting interesting and informative posts in an adult manner in this section and not just spouting random rumours and bullshit.

Who the fuck would be a Guns N Roses fan?

Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2004, 06:52:43 PM »

Another fucked up day to be a Gnr fan!

I dont blame them for trying to block the release, as its a lame ass excuse for an album.

The consequences as discussed though could either mean 1 of 2 things:-

1. Chinese Democracy gets released soon.

2. Chinese Democracy gets released when Axl is 80 and i am 59 or never at al.

As a pessimist im leaning toward the latter and look forward to some more official news with regards to this from The Band, Sanctuary,Axl,Slash,Duff, Geffen.

At least its interesting, and thanks Pilf, its nice to see someone with intelligence, posting interesting and informative posts in an adult manner in this section and not just spouting random rumours and bullshit.

Who the fuck would be a Guns N Roses fan?

well... SOMETIME its gonna be released.... maybe when axl is alive.. but just look at the The Hollywood Rose release now... SOMEONE is going back in the vaults sometime... either way, we all get chinese democracy! someway or the other

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2004, 07:09:04 PM »

THis is some funny ass shit. smoking  Has anyone tried buying the GH hits today in the us.  I;m sure some gunners have.  Is it still on the shelves?
kockstar99
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2004, 07:16:46 PM »

THis is some funny ass shit. smoking  Has anyone tried buying the GH hits today in the us.  I;m sure some gunners have.  Is it still on the shelves?

Its not out yet....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: