Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 08:45:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227996 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses Files Lawsuit against Greatest Hits
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses Files Lawsuit against Greatest Hits  (Read 86190 times)
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2004, 09:13:54 PM »

the credits on the GH cd do appear to suggest that it has been remastered, although its not really noticable.

Back In Power
Guns N Roses
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2004, 09:23:56 PM »

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A federal judge on Monday cleared the way for Geffen Records to release a greatest-hits album next week from the rock band Guns N' Roses over the objection of its lead singer, Axl Rose (news).

Rose sued Geffen, a unit of Universal Music Group under Vivendi Universal, seeking to prevent the best-of collection from being released, claiming he was not consulted on the choice or remixing of material for the album.

He was joined as a plaintiff in the suit, filed last Friday, by two band members from the original lineup -- guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan (news) -- even though their rights to the Guns N' Roses name was signed over to Rose years ago when they left the group.

But U.S. District Judge Dale Fischer denied their request for a temporary restraining order, allowing Geffen to issue the album as planned next Tuesday. A hearing on a motion for a preliminary injunction was set for next month.

"Their lawsuit is meritless," Universal Music spokesman Peter LoFrumento said. "Fortunately, since the court has denied their application for a temporary restraining order, the album will be released as scheduled on March 23."

According to the lawsuit, Rose objected to the selection of songs for the compilation album, the timing of its release, the album's artwork and the re-mastering of the original tapes.

The album features 14 tracks in all and eight of Guns N' Roses' hit singles, including "Welcome to the Jungle, "Paradise City" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" from the mega-selling 1987 album "Appetite for Destruction."

The group's last studio album, "The Spaghetti Incident?," was issued in 1993. A 2002 MTV appearance by a reconstituted Guns N' Roses, with Rose as the lone member from the band's heyday, helped spark interest in the group's new lineup, but a subsequent U.S. tour was cut short.

The suit, which accuses Geffen of trademark infringement and breach of contract, says the label is barred under its contract with Guns N' Roses from altering its master recordings without the band's permission.

A statement from Rose's manager added that the greatest-hits set "will hinder the release of the band's long-awaited new studio album, 'Chinese Democracy."'

Geffen officials had no further comment on the dispute. But a source familiar with the situation said the label has been waiting seven years for Rose to deliver "Chinese Democracy" and has poured $13 million into production of that album after repeated promises that he was about to finish the project.

"Every year there's been a new reason why Axl is not done with the record," the source told Reuters, adding that Geffen went ahead with the greatest-hits package only because Rose failed to come through with "Chinese Democracy." "Had he delivered this record like he promised seven years ago, this would not be happening right now."

A representative for Rose was not immediately available for comment

Keep fighting Axl!  We are all awaiting Chi Dem.
Annie
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2004, 09:30:07 PM »

:rant:Well I'm going to show my support to Axl by NOT buyinh the Cd. Shocked
Guns N Roses
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2004, 09:31:07 PM »

could someone shine light on this

A statement from Rose's manager added that the greatest-hits set "will hinder the release of the band's long-awaited new studio album, 'Chinese Democracy."'
kockstar99
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2004, 09:31:17 PM »

Well that was fast.
I guess the ball is in Axl's court now as to how much the Greatest Hits will delay Chinese Democracy.

I think it will DELAY the fuck out of it...  heres why

1. Axl wont worry about releasing CD untill the GH lawsuit  
    is resolved.

2. Suing his record label is not a good buiness move.

3. Axl may say "Well since Geffen screwed me, ill screw
    them" "The dont deserve to release CD, They cant wait  
    for the big guns they dont get shit"

I think he will say if Geffen wont play by my rules, with my band, my music, then ill take my ball and go home..

ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2004, 09:33:24 PM »

All I can say is fuck Geffen and fuck Universal.  Lets boycott greatest hits rant

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2004, 09:33:53 PM »

I pretty sure that means we will have to wait longer now for Chinese Democracy to come out.  Sad I thought Axl would win this case with no problem.  

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
kockstar99
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2004, 09:34:50 PM »

They didnt loose the lawsuit.. They just lost the temporary injunction against GH being released in the States.  They can apeal this ... they still have one week....
kockstar99
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2004, 09:37:19 PM »

LOS ANGELES (Reuters)
U.S. District Judge Dale Fischer denied their request for a temporary restraining order

What do we know about this dipshit??

email address?? phone number???
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2004, 09:38:38 PM »

The record company is right, if Axl had come through with this album thats been in the making forever, this wouldnt be happening.  Now Axl and management will use this as an excuse to continue to withhold the album when really it makes no difference.  If Axl was ready with this album, Im sure there wouldnt be a problem.  But Im sure the record companys been hearing "Itll be done soon" for the past seven years and theyve had enough.  Rightly so, too.  Here Geffen sinks millionsand millions of dollars into a project that seems as if it will never see the light of day, all while GNRs stock plummets thanks to Axl.  Putting out a brand-new Guns N' Roses record for all that money probably seemed like a fine idea 11 years ago in 1993, but now its 2004 and that superstar band has dwindled into irrelevance.   And if these reports are true and $13 million has been put into this thing...I dont even know what to say.  If this is true, this album better be huge, because with those figures, 2 million copies will not suffice.  This is Invincible.

beer Heres to more waiting...
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »

I was alittle shocked to heard that Duff and Slash are together with Axl in this lawsuit. Yeah it must be a real price of shit if none of the band wants it to come out. Maybe they should have filed this lawsuit a few weeks ago.  Undecided  

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2004, 09:40:34 PM »

Well that was fast.
I guess the ball is in Axl's court now as to how much the Greatest Hits will delay Chinese Democracy.

I think it will DELAY the fuck out of it...  heres why

1. Axl wont worry about releasing CD untill the GH lawsuit  
    is resolved.

2. Suing his record label is not a good buiness move.

3. Axl may say "Well since Geffen screwed me, ill screw
    them" "The dont deserve to release CD, They cant wait  
    for the big guns they dont get shit"

I think he will say if Geffen wont play by my rules, with my band, my music, then ill take my ball and go home..

In that case, Geffen should have every right to release the music that is owed to them and drop GNR from the label.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2004, 09:42:59 PM »

If anyone from Guns N Roses, management, or hangers on reads this thread, i hope they come away with the hard truth that axl has to now deliver an album. He can't take this news like a baby and try to get dumped from the label. In doing so, he will lose thousands more fans and any credibility he has left.

He has to step and take this news like a man. Fulfill his contract and then think about leaving.  Release Chinese Democracy and show everybody why the GH isn't anything to be escatic about.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2004, 09:43:45 PM »

poured $13 million into production of that album after repeated promises that he was about to finish the project  

Hmmm...nice to get a new number.  Wonder if that is true?  Also, I just love this "a source says" crap.  This source hasn't got any balls if he/she won't let his/her name be used.  How do we know this is credible?

Oh, well...we've wondered about "sources" before.   Undecided
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2004, 09:45:42 PM »

If geffen wins this , lock stock and barrel , then they outta go one step further and release the MSG show as another "live" cd , only plaster the front with a big sticker saying " features 6 new songs performed by the new guns n roses featuring buckethead , brain , tommy stinson etc ...  (of course they would need to pull "silk worms" from rir3 soundboards and "the bedouins" from a soundboard of the show they played it at on the failed 2002 tour)

Milk the baby for what it's worth and get us even more official releases!  peace

Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2004, 09:48:57 PM »

I still say the best bet is an ultimate. Geffen should milk the back catolog for what its worth if axl doesn't release CD.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »

the next release should be called "GNR : Raw and Raunchy" and feature all the profanity laced songs , including one in a million!!

hahaha

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2004, 09:54:12 PM »

i remember a source said that the GH was designed as the second step in pressuring axl to release CD; IRS leak was the first. The third step was leaking tracks on to the internet......

based on what i read from Geffen's source, it appears that this may very well the case; GH is a confirmed attack on the redhead's once secure position at Geffon.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
TealaRose
Rocker

Axlite By Personal Choice

« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2004, 09:55:56 PM »

Step one: Don't buy the album. rant

if that fails

Step two: Boycott EVERYTHING released by Geffen Angry

if that doesn't work

Step three: Civil Disobediance rant

failing all that...

All out hate mail campaign and then full blown riot on Geffens front door step!  hihi hihi

Suck on That!
kockstar99
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2004, 09:59:32 PM »

GH is a confirmed attack on the redhead's once secure position at Geffon.

This wont sit well with him.... like i said before he very well may take his ball and go home.....
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: