Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:59:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar comparison in Slither review...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar comparison in Slither review...  (Read 32006 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2004, 02:33:35 PM »

classic guitar mag gave it a 3/5 that is average.
Its the same as a 6/10.
Read the review and you will see what I am talking about.

And the only thing I have made my mind up about are the VR songs I have heard this far, and they are nothing special at all.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2004, 02:35:45 PM »

My second You Got No Right means Fall To Pieces  Smiley

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2004, 02:37:45 PM »

Here is another thing to think about.

Most gnr fans on these boards that have downloaded madagdascar are still listening to it to this day and we first heard the song in 2001 at RIR
now you really think if we got a live bootleg of slither back in 2001 and if contraband still wasnt out 3 years later that people would still be listening to it?
I hightly doubt it.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 02:41:46 PM »

Well.....If VR were still pretending to be a band three years from now with only a few boots to show for their efforts of course people would still be listening to it if there were enough brain washed into thinking they were still actually going to hear a new album even 3 and half years later. That is what diehard fans do. So no, that doesn't surprise me one bit. Thankfully we won't have to worry about this scenario though as Contraband is only 3 weeks away.  
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2004, 02:46:21 PM »

The point is, no matter how long Axl takes people are still going to buy his album and want to hear it, but if VR took 3 years or longer they would be forgotten.
The only thing is, most times the first single is supposted to be one of the stronger tracks on the album, if this holds true then VR is in big trouble.

BTW why is it now that is bad that Axl is  being mentioned in a VR article when before it was ok? Is it now because Axl is being shown in a good light and before when Axl was mentioned it was digs on axl?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 02:51:34 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2004, 02:51:12 PM »

Thats not accurate at all.....the only people really waiting tooth and nail on the new GNR album are the fans on this board. If VR were taking their sweet old time there would be a board of people waiting for them too. And they would be just as brain washed as we are. That's the nature of being a hardcore fan. You should know more than anyone as you would lay down in front of a bus for Axl that when you really believe in something you will wait till the end of time for it. There are some people who did/do feel that way about VR as well regardless of how hard it is to believe. It is just hard to guage that given VR did not make their fans wait years on end to deliver an album and leave their certain internet fans promising people on boards that the album would absolutely be out by a certain date leading them to want to make bets with other posters about it only to look ridiculous when that date came and went and years continued to pass by. Thankfully the men of VR have delivered for their fans so we don't have to worry about this.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2004, 02:52:48 PM »

The only thing VR are going to deliver, judging from their first few songs is a mediocre album.
Its one thing to make an album in  a few months, its another to have it be good.
Look at how quick the snakepit albums were made, they were awful.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 02:54:54 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2004, 02:58:32 PM »

BTW why is it now that is bad that Axl is  being mentioned in a VR article when before it was ok? Is it now because Axl is being shown in a good light and before when Axl was mentioned it was digs on axl?

very good point.

its always okay to talk shit about Axl...
its the cool thing to do or whatever

Axl fans are always taking shit for being Axl fans...
whatever!

I fuckin' hate Slash and Duff now anyway so I could give a shit if they put out a song that raised the dead.
Fuck them.  I'm glad to hear someone giving Axl credit for his talent

so excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me for gloating!

we Axl fans get so little in the press to cheer us up...
lemme enjoy this.
Thanks for posting it.
 peace
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2004, 03:01:21 PM »

It's not.

Imagine, some journalist prefers a live version of a new GN'R track to VR's first single. The horror! What is the world coming to?

Roll Eyes

Im sorry, but the inane, arbitrary nature of the review coupled with its poor spelling ("'Revolver' is compromised of guitarist Dave Kushner...") and awful grammar ("New listeners and/or fans of these artists in their old lineups will likewise also first and foremost just await clarity: Is this a one-off or a 'band' that plans on making music and touring with purpose? Allegedly, 'Revolver' mean business."  Huh) led me to believe theres no way this thing was written by a professional.  And I still cant find a source...

Get used to the idea that not every journalist will think VR is the saviour of rock n' roll as the majority of the VR fans seem to think.

Right...because I question the source of this review, this obviously must be the reason.  Roll Eyes

The review is bad for a lot of reasons, none of which being the reviewers failure to recognize VR as rock saviours.  Come on, Jarmo...what kind of foolish presumption is that?

He clearly states how he prefers Axl's lyrics to Scott's. You think he's the only one?

Then he should write an essay on that subject, instead of using "Slither" as an excuse to profess his love for Axl under the guise of a "review".

"Before you can say "no WMD in Iraq" it becomes apparent that the creative output of joining the groovy and psychedelic pop-indie version of Led Zep that was STP at their best, with the hard-nosed, daring and pounding rock and roll of GNR, is a winner. At first. "

I had to read this 3 times before realizing what he was trying to say.  This is clearly the writing of an amateur, which is I believed it to be a message board post.  Another hint is the assumption that "weve all heard 'Madagascar' (much bootlegged live track from the forbidden GNR album, 'Chinese Democracy')..."  Um, unless hes writing to an audience of GNR message board members, no "we" havent.  He then compares two songs that have absolutely nothing in common.  If he had compared "Slither" to "Chinese Democracy," or even "Rhiad," it might make a little sense.  Comparing "Slither" to "Madagascar" is completely arbitrary.

These are two consecutive sentences: "Slither is hardly that.

Weiland, who wrote the lyrics, is fair game in that sense."

Fair game in what sense?  

"...and we then might just imagine Rose smiling..."  Yes, we then might just.  The writing here is actually worse than that of the typical message board post.  But if you can actually tell us where this review came from, it would be appreciated.

And we all know how magazine/newspaper reviews end with URL links to audio/video sites.  Roll Eyes

classic guitar mag gave it a 3/5 that is average.

Thats one review...I could have swore you said "reviews," plural.  I must be imagining things...

Oh thats right.  The one other review of Contraband, in Maxim, got 4 stars out of 5 and "Album of the Month".  You might want to edit your post to correct it.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 03:03:17 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2004, 03:03:40 PM »

Appetite took a couple of weeks to record. Time is not the issue if you catch the lightning in a bottle. The Snakepit albums were mediocre at best, but they also didn't have Slash, Duff, Matt and Scott working on them. They all seem to be refreshed and rejuvenated, and I am expecting a solid rock album.

If your definition of a stellar album is overbloated 9 minute songs with billions of samples and symphony orchestras, then VR is not your band. Slash and those guys never liked playing those types of songs in the first place, so why would they write and put those on their album. There is a segment of GNR fans who hate the big GNR ballads, and they will probably be more apt to like VR. The whole concept of what is and isn't a good song/album is too subjective as each person likes different stuff. Axl loves huge production, Slash likes raw stuff. Naturally, when you hear an Axl album you will hear tons of production and when you hear VR stuff, it will sound more raw. That is just the difference between the two bands, doesn't make one better than the other, just a differnece in musical philosophy.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2004, 03:06:57 PM »

wow, i didnt realize that it would go to 2 pgs already. You people are hot stuff...

Godforbid a journalists takes gnr's side over vr, or just simply say that Maddy is an excellent song. He must be on drungs or soemthing. Its funny how everyone gets so worked up when Vr gets critisized. I cant stop laughing.

Anyways, unfortunately I didnt write that. Im not sure where it originates from but its from some sort of media outlet not a fan.

Its funny how you all think VR is the savior to rnr. Its funny how the band has to keep telling everyone about this at all of their concerts. Just shut up and do it, be it. DOnt talk about it. Its starting to get annoying. Yea we know your all about being grimy, badass,simple rnr...now do it. Now give us a song that meets that.

Slither is none of that. Its a catchy song. Thats about it. Not inspiring in any way. Nor is it grimy.

Anyways thanks for ammusing me

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2004, 03:07:49 PM »

Maybe the review wasn't written in English to begin with? Ever thought of that?

I'm having flashbacks to 2002 when some fans were kinda upset over some of the negative reviews the gigs got....  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2004, 03:09:52 PM »

Um booker Maxim mag ? Last time I checked that was not a music mag now is it?
Hell they gave LPs last album 4/5 and that album was awful
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 03:12:22 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2004, 03:12:33 PM »

Then why dont you tell us the source, that way we wont have to guess?

Godforbid a journalists takes gnr's side over vr, or just simply say that Maddy is an excellent song. He must be on drungs or soemthing. Its funny how everyone gets so worked up when Vr gets critisized. I cant stop laughing.

You just dont get it...as usual.
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2004, 03:14:43 PM »

Two good songs, but I don't feel that any of them would be a song to remember in ten years.

'Madagascar' is the kind of song that will stick with a lot of people for a lifetime. And I think it's quite fair to compare the two. You don't necessarily have to compare they styles of the songs (tempo, speed, etc.), just the lyrical and musical content, and which is the overall better song. 'Madagascar' is lightyears ahead of 'Slither'.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2004, 03:14:46 PM »

Axl loves huge production, Slash likes raw stuff. Naturally, when you hear an Axl album you will hear tons of production and when you hear VR stuff, it will sound more raw.
No, when I think of Axl, I think of the whole ball of wax. Production, rawness etc. I just dont think of 1 thing. Thats what makes him great. Look at appetite then the illusons. Axl is best at both. The biggest misconception is that Axl doesnt like basic rnr. In terms of presenting it he doesnt do it in a basic way but his roots are rnr.

BTW, what is so raw about slither and or smf?

hat is just the difference between the two bands, doesn't make one better than the other, just a differnece in musical philosophy.
I agree

Booker you need a life dude. Just because the journalist isnt the best of writers doesnt mean dick. ALl he is doing is stating his opinion. You can agree or disagree, but dont be a lil bitch about it. I know you arent used to VR getting non favorable reviews but you might wanna get used to it. You will. If you need help, ill help ya out....gnr never gets fair reviews.

Its not how they start its where they finish

If he had compared "Slither" to "Chinese Democracy," or even "Rhiad," it might make a little sense.  Comparing "Slither" to "Madagascar" is completely arbitrary.
Um hes not comparing style of songs...hes just comparing lyrics. All he said was that Scott doesnt hold a candle to Axl when it comes to writing a song. Nothing more nothing less.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 03:18:15 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2004, 03:15:17 PM »

Then why dont you tell us the source, that way we wont have to guess?

Why don't you go and ask the guy who posted it at the GN'R bar? I even linked to the original thread.

You're assuming things like it's bad grammar, I'm assuming it might be translated from another language.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2004, 03:15:55 PM »

Um booker Maxim mag ? Last time I checked that was not a music mag now is it?
Hell they gave LPs last album 4/5 and that album was awful

I said that was the only other review...and it was enthusiastic.  Which, in effect, disproves your comment about "average reviews".  Unless you can share some more with us, its one (1) average review.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2004, 03:16:20 PM »

Appetite took a couple of weeks to record. Time is not the issue if you catch the lightning in a bottle. The Snakepit albums were mediocre at best, but they also didn't have Slash, Duff, Matt and Scott working on them. They all seem to be refreshed and rejuvenated, and I am expecting a solid rock album.

If your definition of a stellar album is overbloated 9 minute songs with billions of samples and symphony orchestras, then VR is not your band. Slash and those guys never liked playing those types of songs in the first place, so why would they write and put those on their album. There is a segment of GNR fans who hate the big GNR ballads, and they will probably be more apt to like VR. The whole concept of what is and isn't a good song/album is too subjective as each person likes different stuff. Axl loves huge production, Slash likes raw stuff. Naturally, when you hear an Axl album you will hear tons of production and when you hear VR stuff, it will sound more raw. That is just the difference between the two bands, doesn't make one better than the other, just a differnece in musical philosophy.

How is madagascar overbloated? If anything is overbloated its slashs face and beer belly. And if slash hates ballads then whey are there some on the VR album that are being compared to nov rain?

I am just curious where the beatles overbloated because they liked puttin all that suff in there songs?

SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2004, 03:17:04 PM »

Another hint is the assumption that "weve all heard 'Madagascar' (much bootlegged live track from the forbidden GNR album, 'Chinese Democracy')..."  Um, unless hes writing to an audience of GNR message board members, no "we" havent.  

It was also played at the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards. A hell of a lot more people watch that than there are people on GNR message boards.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: