Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:11:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar comparison in Slither review...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar comparison in Slither review...  (Read 32091 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2004, 03:24:21 PM »

Why don't you go and ask the guy who posted it at the GN'R bar? I even linked to the original thread.

You were so quick to shoot down the possibility that its a message board post that I figured you had to know something about its origin.  Instead you linked me to...a message board.  Grin

You're assuming things like it's bad grammar

confused

Thats not an assumption...

It was also played at the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards. A hell of a lot more people watch that than there are people on GNR message boards.

2 or 3 minutes of it was played on the VMAs, and the author made no reference to it.  He did however make reference to bootlegs, which only proves my initial point.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2004, 03:27:11 PM »

Booker a lot of people have heard magascar that dont go to the boards, get real.
The song and other new gnr songs were all over kaaza and other web sites.
So any casual gnr fans just has to go to kaaza and type in new gnr and there ya go madagascar pops up.

Dont play dumb and pretent that only people on these message boards have heard the song, bc at the show in boston back in 2002 a few people that dont go to any gnr message boards said they DLd the songs from RIR.

Im willing to bet right after the VMAs gnr fans that saw gnr play the first part of madagascar when right to their computers and DLd the song.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 03:28:24 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2004, 03:27:41 PM »

Booker, you're beating a dead horse. Face it: the guy, journalist or not, said he prefered 'Madagascar' to 'Slither', end of story. Don't turn it into something it's not.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2004, 03:28:32 PM »

Right. He said bootlegs. He didn't say concert bootlegs. Things recorded off of the radio or TV and passed around for free are also considered bootlegs.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2004, 03:30:26 PM »

Two good songs, but I don't feel that any of them would be a song to remember in ten years.
Well Maddy is going on like 4 yrs now. And still going strong.

SMF was played a lot when it first came out becuase of the hype, but that song fell off the face of the planet. We shall see what happens to SLither.

Vr and Gnr will always get the initial hype and buzz. If you go by that and think its success, your delusional. What will make each a success is album sales and if thier singles are played months/years after they are put out. Look at audioslave,APc,LP etc......

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
BenDrinking
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2004, 03:36:07 PM »

The only thing is, most times the first single is supposted to be one of the stronger tracks on the album, if this holds true then VR is in big trouble.

Dave,

True, the 1st Single off a record is supposed to be the strongest or "catchiest" song, but if it isn't, that does not necessarily mean that the album is going to suck. Take AudioSlave for example. When I first heard Cochise, AudioSlaves's 1st single, I really didn't like it. And radio did really like it either. It was played on the radio some, but then faded away. If you hear an AS song on the radio today, I bet it wont Cochise.

Now, applying your theory, the rest of the album should suck right? Wrong. All of the other songs released by AS (Like A Stone, I am the Highway, Show me How to Live, and What You Are), have gotten a lot of radio play and the album is extremely successful. You can't turn on the radio today without hearing one of those AS songs I mentioned. But notice that you never hear Cochise, their 1st single.

So, just because the 1st single isn?t good, it does not mean that then album is "in trouble" as you put it.

Ben
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2004, 03:38:34 PM »

Booker, you're beating a dead horse. Face it: the guy, journalist or not, said he prefered 'Madagascar' to 'Slither', end of story.

Really?  Shocked

I didnt know I was debating that...

What am I turning it into?  The review was obviously unprofessional and was an excuse to bring up Axl and "Madagascar".  The fact that he comments on "Slither"s merits at the very end of its own review, almost as an afterthought, kind of clues you in as to whats going on.    
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2004, 03:47:11 PM »

And radio did really like it either. It was played on the radio some, but then faded away. If you hear an AS song on the radio today, I bet it wont Cochise.
That is not the case here in ny. Krock, the country biggest radio station plays it all the time along with all of audioslaves other singles.

The review was obviously unprofessional and was an excuse to bring up Axl and "Madagascar".  The fact that he comments on "Slither"s merits at the very end of its own review, almost as an afterthought, kind of clues you in as to whats going on.    
An excuse to bring up Axl and madagascar? Are you serious? I know because every journalist out there has been reviewing maddy so much that they now need an excuse to bring it up. Every journalist out there has been sucking axls dick in their reviews.

Booker all the guy did was discuss that vr was a supergroup. He then brought up the comparison to gnr. The same way other VR reviews have mentions "Axls bothced up comeback". Everytime I read a vr review, they mention gnr. SO why are you bitching now. This time the jounralist actually talked about what was important, the music. Not how he looks or the freaks. But thats not allowed.

He said Scott isnt as good as Axl when it comes to lyrics. WHat is so hard to understand? I know its unfair and doesnt paint favor vr but um the truth hurts.

But whatver, there will be good reviews and bad reviews to come. Cant wai to hear the next journalism lesson you will provide....thanks bud

wow ive crack 1000 posts....dam time flys...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 03:49:15 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2004, 04:02:24 PM »

I'm getting sich of these Axl and Scott comparisons... Axl is Axl and Scott is Scott! They're 2 different persons!!!

How can anybody not compare them??? And the comparison makes Scott look like a fuckin clown!!!

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2004, 04:24:06 PM »

Booker answer me this.
Why was no vr fan complaining before when they were  bashing Axl in the VR reviews yet now some are showing axl in a better light and saying this song is not as good as madagascar is wrong?

It just goes to show how some VR fans are hypocrites.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
TIPSY
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2004, 04:29:23 PM »

This review just summizes the next 2 months of VR:

shitty reviews

no shows due to Scott falling off the wagon

Poor ticket sales

Shitty album sales

Clear Channel kicking them to the curb

VR fans finally realizing that Axl Rose is what truly makes the difference.

Place your bets people...........VR will be short lived. peace
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2004, 04:42:34 PM »

Its posts like this that make me want to pull my hair out of my head.

Booker-  It doesn't matter whether the review was professional or done by an amateur. The guy stated his opinion that he like "Madagascar" better than "Slither". Why the fuck are you acting like its the end of the free world? Wow, the new GN'R got a good review for once, the locusts can't be too far behind now, can they?  confused

I agree with what some others have said. If that was a 100% positive review for Velvet Revolver, and GN'R got roasted, then you'd be all for it, no problem. Whatever you have against the new band must really be something, because its singlehandedly making you one of the most negative people I've ever encountered, online or elsewhere. We tolerate YOUR opinions around here, so I think its time you returned the favor and tolerate someone else's opinions as well. This goes for Naubis too.

Just some advice.

-Jeff

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2004, 04:49:25 PM »

Booker answer me this.
Why was no vr fan complaining before when they were  bashing Axl in the VR reviews yet now some are showing axl in a better light and saying this song is not as good as madagascar is wrong?

Well, obviously, they werent negative (toward VR) for starters.  

No other review has made Axl the focal point, and done it in such a blatantly arbitrary manner.

Its assumed that you mean professional reviews, of course, which this obviously isnt.

It just goes to show how some VR fans are hypocrites.

Speaking of hypocrisy, wasnty it you who claimed that I simply cant understand that my opinion isnt fact, yet make posts such as

SMF and slither are brilliant? You have got to be kidding me Roll Eyes Those songs are average at best.

By the way, Im still waiting for those average reviews youve mentioned...Im beginning to think that there are none.  Grin
SLCPUNK
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2004, 04:51:32 PM »

Its an unfair comparison as already stated. How about just reviewing the damn song without having to judge it against Axl's new material, which still hasn't been heard in a final studio version.

What pisses me off is that the reviewer makes a point to state that he didn't use a cheesy headline combining the two bands because everyone else will be doing it. Yet he jumps right into comparing Velvet Revolver with GnR just like everyone else will be doing.  rant Then again maybe its just me.

It is impossible that it won't happen. If CD ever get's released it will happen non stop.
BenDrinking
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2004, 04:52:13 PM »

This review just summizes the next 2 months of VR:

shitty reviews

no shows due to Scott falling off the wagon

Poor ticket sales

Shitty album sales

Clear Channel kicking them to the curb

Place your bets people...........VR will be short lived. peace

Those are some strong predictions. Sound like you are kind of jelouse that VR is in the spotlight and about to release an an album while GNR has still to produce a new album after 10 + years. I for one think that VR will do really well.

VR fans finally realizing that Axl Rose is what truly makes the difference.

I think it should be Axl who should realize that Slash, Duff & Izzy were the ones who "made the diffierence". I love the way you Axl fans love to give all of GNR's credit to Axl and none of it to the other guys in the band. I think its safe to say that GNR would not have been GNR without Slash, Duff, and Izzy.

Ben
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2004, 05:04:02 PM »

Booker-  It doesn't matter whether the review was professional or done by an amateur. The guy stated his opinion that he like "Madagascar" better than "Slither". Why the fuck are you acting like its the end of the free world?

And how have I done this?  I simply said it was a bad review and asked for a source...Every post I made after has been in response to anothers.  Its not like I started my post with "Its posts like this that make me want to pull my hair out of my head," in which case you might say Im overreacting... ok

Wow, the new GN'R got a good review for once, the locusts can't be too far behind now, can they?  confused

You think thats my problem with the review...that GNR got a good review for once?  If so, youre clueless and should re-read my posts, because I dont like repeating myself ad-nauseum.

I agree with what some others have said. If that was a 100% positive review for Velvet Revolver, and GN'R got roasted, then you'd be all for it, no problem.

No.  If that article was formatted in the exact same way, giving a million reasons for why "Slither" is better than "Madagascar," my response would be the same.  It would still be totally amaterurish and instead of being an excuse to praise "Madagascar," it would be an excuse to bash it, and neither viewpoints belong in a review thatsd supposedly about "Slither".

We tolerate YOUR opinions around here, so I think its time you returned the favor and tolerate someone else's opinions as well. This goes for Naubis too.

And how exactly is this critique of my opinion different than the one I gave in this review...?  confused

My negativity about the new GNR is only a reflection of the negativity that the band brings...no album, cancelled tour, cancelled festival gig, almost zero updates, etc...When it comes to the actual music however, aside from "Silkworms," Ive liked pretty much everything.  So I guess "whatever I have against the new band" must not be that deep after all...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2004, 05:34:03 PM »

No.  If that article was formatted in the exact same way, giving a million reasons for why "Slither" is better than "Madagascar," my response would be the same
Bullshit. There would be people on these boards who would get angry at the guy for writing that. Then you would go on and say how we are axl loyalists tetc. SO please do us a favor and shut up dude.

He wasnt comparing songs. he was comparing lyrics and how a song like maddy shows teh reason why axl is a great songwriter.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2004, 05:37:27 PM »

Booker-  It doesn't matter whether the review was professional or done by an amateur. The guy stated his opinion that he like "Madagascar" better than "Slither". Why the fuck are you acting like its the end of the free world?

And how have I done this?  I simply said it was a bad review and asked for a source...Every post I made after has been in response to anothers.  Its not like I started my post with "Its posts like this that make me want to pull my hair out of my head," in which case you might say Im overreacting... ok

Wow, the new GN'R got a good review for once, the locusts can't be too far behind now, can they?  confused

You think thats my problem with the review...that GNR got a good review for once?  If so, youre clueless and should re-read my posts, because I dont like repeating myself ad-nauseum.

I agree with what some others have said. If that was a 100% positive review for Velvet Revolver, and GN'R got roasted, then you'd be all for it, no problem.

No.  If that article was formatted in the exact same way, giving a million reasons for why "Slither" is better than "Madagascar," my response would be the same.  It would still be totally amaterurish and instead of being an excuse to praise "Madagascar," it would be an excuse to bash it, and neither viewpoints belong in a review thatsd supposedly about "Slither".

We tolerate YOUR opinions around here, so I think its time you returned the favor and tolerate someone else's opinions as well. This goes for Naubis too.

And how exactly is this critique of my opinion different than the one I gave in this review...?  confused

My negativity about the new GNR is only a reflection of the negativity that the band brings...no album, cancelled tour, cancelled festival gig, almost zero updates, etc...When it comes to the actual music however, aside from "Silkworms," Ive liked pretty much everything.  So I guess "whatever I have against the new band" must not be that deep after all...

wow, it's amazing how you VR fans just can't live with anyone saying anything positive about Axl and the new band. This guy liked Madagascar better, I do too. Instead of wasting your life trying to discredit this man's opinion, go back to your VR boots and take a masturbatory break. if some prefer axl's epic song to a throw away rock track, then live and let live. As some have said, it's truly amazing how some people here revel in the pot shots at axl's expense but when the tables are turned against Scott and Co, the rattlesnakes begin committing suicide. Get a Life, Mr. Booker. If you don't like them, then stop trying to convince others that they shouldn't like them either. Must be an ego thing like the little boy who can't play alone.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2004, 05:57:18 PM »

You were so quick to shoot down the possibility that its a message board post that I figured you had to know something about its origin.  Instead you linked me to...a message board.  Grin

Because I know how to read. It even stated the name of the guy who wrote it.

Besides, what says that an Axl fan can't give a objective review of a VR song? If I wanted an opinion on "Slither", I wouldn't ask the world's biggest Slash fan for it. Because then it would be "the best song ever written".  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2004, 06:09:57 PM »

Because I know how to read.

confused

It even stated the name of the guy who wrote it.

Ah, so its impossible for a message board poster to write an elaboate wannabe review and put there name at the bottom?  I see...Well Ive still yet to see any kind of source.  

Besides, what says that an Axl fan can't give a objective review of a VR song?

Two paragraphs dedicated to the greatness of Axl and "Madagascar" in a review thats supposedly about "Slither".

If I wanted an opinion on "Slither", I wouldn't ask the world's biggest Slash fan for it. Because then it would be "the best song ever written".  Tongue

Then the same would apply for a GNR song and Axl fans, right?  Because youre actually much more likely to get an overzealous response like that from some of the posters in this thread.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: