Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:59:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228005 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Oh MY God is better than any rocker song off Contraband
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oh MY God is better than any rocker song off Contraband  (Read 32854 times)
Slashisthebest
Headliner

Best Record Ever Made, Plain and Simple!

« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2004, 10:52:05 PM »

better written, more interesting, better singing, more dynamic.

first thing i noticed when listening to contraband....

What the hell are you talking about?  Its a good song but nothing compaired to anything VR has done.

Slashisthebest

Top Hat + Bottle of Jack + Les Paul + Marshall Jubilee Stack = Slash
Snakepit__
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2004, 05:38:34 AM »

It's good, but not so fucking great..

Slither, Set Me Free, Suckertrain Blues, You Got No Right & Loving The Alien.. Are Much Better Than Oh My God
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2004, 06:04:10 AM »

Slither, Set Me Free, Suckertrain Blues, You Got No Right & Loving The Alien.. Are Much Better Than Oh My God
OMG is better than SMF, but not better than Slither and some other Contraband rockers...
hackvresse
Rocker

I'm God

« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2004, 08:02:12 AM »

I still think that SMF is the best "rocker" on contraband. But Oh My God is better than SMF.

maybe we'd be better off without you anyway
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2004, 12:10:42 PM »

then you aren't gnr fan.
i'm gnr fan since 1990,and slither isn't song which belong gnr music,it is alternative song.
velvet revolvers music is too far from gnr music
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2004, 05:46:13 PM »

I'm not a great fan of comparing GNR with VR, there two different bands with different musical philosophies and i appreciate both.

However i have to say i think OMG is a better song than anything on Contraband

Contraband is excellent its just OMG is even better

OMG is catchy, the guitar work is awesome, the lyrics are viscious, all of which can also be used to descibe songs off Contraband its just Axl and co do it better on OMG

« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 05:56:48 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Slashisthebest
Headliner

Best Record Ever Made, Plain and Simple!

« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2004, 05:49:42 PM »

then you aren't gnr fan.
i'm gnr fan since 1990,and slither isn't song which belong gnr music,it is alternative song.

Why does it matter if he like alternative rock.  People can like what ever they want.  I personally like most hard rock even some alternative.  And i've been a fan since 2001.  Im only 17, but why cant you guys accept VR, they are my favorite new rock band.  More power to them.

Slashisthebest

Top Hat + Bottle of Jack + Les Paul + Marshall Jubilee Stack = Slash
Imfuckincrazy
Headliner

Slash is God.

« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2004, 05:57:48 PM »

then you aren't gnr fan.

How is that so? How does that not make him a GNR fan just because he thinks something else happens to be better than ONE of their songs? So to be a GNR fan you absolutely must like every single song of theirs over anything? I must not be a GNR fan then... Undecided Hell, in that case a LOT of people must not be fans - so why are we even here?

It's not supposed to be like GNR's music.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 06:00:27 PM by Imfuckincrazy » Logged

I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother, got a rattle snake suitcase under my arm
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2004, 09:14:35 PM »

OMG may be better than one song on Contraband, not more than that, most songs on Contraband kicks OMGs ass real damn hard!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2004, 11:47:44 PM »

it took me 40 listens to like oh my god and it took me being in a real god damn pissed off mood to like this
so i dont know

i think it is even with the contraband rockers right now cause i think its gonna take me some time to dig the CB rockers

i think ive been listening to prince to much here lately and i have to rediscover my rock tastes

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2004, 02:34:38 PM »

Without shooting down anyone's feelings, bashing their opinions, taunting VR fans, or presenting some long drawn-out musical dissection, I'll just say that I also like "Oh My God" better than anything on "Contraband."

Parasite
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2004, 03:40:38 PM »

I heard the record a few weeks ago.. and to be honest, it wasn't groundbreaking ( obviously ), and I really didn't expect it to be. Scott Weiland just doesn't mix well with the likes of Slash and Duff, and a majority of Weiland's lyrics are mediocre to horrible. Another dissapointment about it was that Izzy declined being apart of this project, which in my opinion only worked against Slash... he's a good guitarist, but Izzy IMO has always been more of the " songwriter " between the two. Slash has came up with some terrific riffs, but Izzy was always there to perfect them( example: Sweet Child O' Mine ).

But more important than all of that, I think " Oh my God " owns most of this album.  Grin
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2004, 04:20:42 PM »

Musically, Contraband beats the piss out of any New GNR song.  It is that hard rock Appetite sound.

Axl is better than Scott, but the Velvet Revolver musicians are more my kind of rock band than Robin and the other new GNR members.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Parasite
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2004, 04:26:29 PM »

There are some tracks ( Sucker Train Blues ) that I would've much rather heard Axl sing, but other than that I think Oh my God is better. But I agree, I think Slash and Duff are better than alot of the new Gn'R as well.. but OMG definitely rocks.
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2004, 05:57:59 PM »

I think at least 11 (maybe 12 or 13) of the songs on Contraband are better than Oh My God.  The lyrics in Oh My God are good, I'll admit that.  But the song sounds way too industrial and is not a great "rock" song.  There are some good parts in it, but the instrumental part of Contraband blows away Oh My God (which has I believe Dave Navarro, Tommy Stinson, Robin Finck (there's a dispute over that too), and Josh Freese).
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2004, 07:45:51 PM »

I'll put it this way.....The only songs from Contraband(including the slow tunes)I would rather listen to over Oh My God are Suckertrain Blues and Slither(and even Slither is not that hot) smoking

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
ktucker450
Rocker

Don't follow my footsteps, i walk into poles

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2004, 08:35:20 PM »

I think Slither is WAAAAY better, it's actually one of my favourite songs, and to be honest, I was always pulling for Velvet Revolver to fail, but they didnt crying
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2004, 08:39:31 PM »

VR is good but none of those songs even touch Oh my God. Chinese Democracy will waaaaaste any VR song and its sales.

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2004, 08:43:03 PM »

I kind of agree. I like OMG a lot... but it should be a lot better. I don't like the OMG vocals atol. Oddly, the best part is the guitars, which Paul Tobias apparently wrote and possibly was theee thing that ended Slash's stay there. So it's strange that the guitar is the best part. But it is. It reminds me a lot of the VR rockers, which have cool guitar parts with no vocal hooks (especially Big Machine and Spectacle). The thing is, when you have an Axl song and the vocals aren't very good, the effect is even greater. And with VR I don't expect much from Scott because, while I like his voice, it has a very low degree of difficulty. So on balance, I think the VR songs seem more complete, and I have a more satisfying time listening to them than OMG. But the OMG guitar parts are way heavier than anything from Contraband.

I've seen enough.
Parasite
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2004, 08:53:35 PM »

I agree with you about Axl's vocals. Axl's voice wasn't always there even in some earlier Gn'R recordings, but the sloppyness of the vocals.. and sometimes even the instrumentals is what makes it so raw.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: