Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:27:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227940 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stadium World Tour in the future? possible?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stadium World Tour in the future? possible?  (Read 6256 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« on: June 11, 2004, 08:22:17 AM »

the "Greatest Hit"s album very good sales prooves that the name Guns n' Roses is still very popular in the world.
So If "chinese democracy" is really a masterpiece with amazing Hits, a #1 album and many many great songs like back in the days, do you think that a stadium tour would be possible for the new Guns n' Roses? Do you think they would do it?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 08:25:12 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 09:54:54 AM »

No act big enough to co-headline and help them fill a stadium would agree to go on tour with him and open the entire time. He would have to help split the bill and there is no way Axl would ever take the stage second in one night. I think if they ever get back to a point they can fill arenas then this whole project would have to be considered a success. There are very few if any stadium acts left in the world and GNR in 2004 is not one of them and most likely won't be no matter how awesome the album is just because of the way music has changed.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 10:46:42 AM »

The only way they will be able to do a stadium tour is if CD is a masterpiece and probably thier second album is a masterpiece....if they have these 2 albums that can not only capture the rock audience but other audiences as well then ...maybe they can do it...but its highly unlikely...its a different musical world today....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »

I agree with Youngunner......
They will need atleast 2 new top 5 albums......and not one released in 2005 and expect public intrest to last another 2-3 years for another. They need two great albums released within a year of each other. Even then I think they would have to put together a tour like a Lalapalooza or Ozzfest basd on their name.....then get several decent bands. that is the only way I can see them doing Stadiums.

Example with a stupid tour tiltle

Chinese Voter Registration Tour
featuring two stages

Headlined by Guns N' Roses
other Acts include

The Darkness
Jet
etc.
etc.
etc.

Then maybe get a regional Co-Headliner
Boston - Aerosmith
Atlanta - Outkast (to widen the scope of the audience) anyting to fill an 80,000 seat stadium
something like that
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 11:37:41 AM by C0ma » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 12:52:24 PM »

I venture to say GNR will never headline a stadium in the United States ever again.

Maybe the festival circuit with other bands, but never on their own.

Not GNR specific, just stadium tours are virtually non existant
anyway stateside, very passe'...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 12:59:50 PM »

Besides who would take a chance if Axl could no-show at any time?

DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 01:45:15 PM »

Nobody does stadium tours anymore because there is more money to be made doing arena shows.  
duffman
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 01:58:41 PM »

I think people are getting way ahead of themselves here.  People should just be hoping that they play again, which I doubt, nevermind stadiums.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 02:18:17 PM »

Very true. Very true.  Cry

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 02:38:05 PM »

Nobody does stadium tours anymore because there is more money to be made doing arena shows.  

That depends..

The 2002 would have been a money making, successful tour if GNR would've done theatres.

Instead, well we know the rest of the story...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
madagas
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 02:54:09 PM »

Axl made money. He was guaranteed $400,000 to 500,000 per show-no matter how many people were there! Clear Channel was the one taking a bath and they pulled the plug to cut their losses. I know the money figure is fairly accurate because a buddy of mine works for CC in Atlanta and his boss negotiated with the band-they were wanting like 500,000 per show and the local promoter felt that was too high and too risky so he turned down the Atlanta show. He was right!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 03:00:21 PM »

Wow thats alot of cash.  My ticket in Toronto, Canada was $50CDN (I think) and there was about 15,000 people and it was sold out.  That only works out to $750,000CDN which, at the time, was only about $500,000US.

I can't beleive a promoter would give a band that much. They would still have to rent The Arena, Pay the employees, Pay for Advertising, Pay for Merchandise. Pay for travel. pay for Shipping of equipment.

there is No fuckin' way.  None.

And your buddy must be pretty high up in Clear Channel to know their the financial agreements.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 03:05:58 PM by Neemo » Logged

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 03:03:31 PM »

Little early to be thinking of stadium tours....

Of course its possible, maybe even likely - but first there is the small matter of releasing a phenomenally succesful album....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 03:04:07 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
madagas
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 03:07:45 PM »

Neemo, your wrong. And, I think the band pays their own costs for travel. Axl was getting money in that range. That is why the Atlanta promoter declined the show. He couldn't make enough profit. Gnr was too risky...for a number of reasons obviously! Grin
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 03:15:07 PM »

Neemo, your wrong. And, I think the band pays their own costs for travel. Axl was getting money in that range. That is why the Atlanta promoter declined the show. He couldn't make enough profit. Gnr was too risky...for a number of reasons obviously! Grin

Fuckin' right thats not enough profit. It's NO fuckin profit. It's negative profit. Even if the band takes care of all traveling costs. its still gonna be negative. Gee I wonder how much it costs to rent a Professional sports arena. Probably more than FREE!

I just can't see it is all. Maybe $250,000/show possibly but not $400,000 to $500,000.  And if he did get paid that much. why would he even bother releasing new stuff? Just go on tour w/ old stuff every 10 years.  Oh wait that is what he did.  rofl

blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 03:18:48 PM »

I think people are getting way ahead of themselves here.  People should just be hoping that they play again, which I doubt, nevermind stadiums.

Exactly. I'm beginning to think I'm deluded in thinking Guns N Roses will ever play a gig again.

The entire notion of a stadium tour is preposterous. The band will be physically incapable of pulling it off.

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 03:25:32 PM »

Lets do the math

average ticket price was (if I remeber correctly) $45-$50
lets say the average american arena holds between 12k-15k people

thats $45 * 12k = $540k in ticket sales on top of that CC would get a cut of the concesions. So lets say CC gets $700k for the average show

We all know that the majority of the tour sold poorly (forget the 2 no shows, which were total losses)

so now CC has to rent each arena, pay concesion workers, security, general operations personel, plus they have to pay the city for police details outside of the arena

If CC was paying GnR a set amount of 500K per show, then they are crazier than Axl. The numbers don't work out even if every show sold out. With all fees and the bands 'salary' they would have been loosing money hand over fist anyway.
madagas
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 03:42:13 PM »

Tickets for good seats at alot of the shows were $75 I believe. I don't know what the final negotiated price was for each show, probably closer to 400,000, but maybe less for smaller markets. Gnr was asking for a lot up front. Clear Channel lost their ass-simple as that. 400,000 for a big band is not outrageous. I believe Springsteen and McCartney command close to a million per show. You can believe me or not and do all the math you want-Gnr was guaranteed around 400,000 per show, maybe even a little more.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 03:50:21 PM »

Coma, That was my argument as well.

Madagas, Yeah but don't Springsteen and McCartney cost like $200 for tickets? My buddy is going to see Phil Collins and he's paying around $150!! so that's like 3 to 4 times more ticket sales.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 03:52:20 PM by Neemo » Logged

Eye Rool
Opening Act

Jack White is cool, too!

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 08:24:05 PM »

I think that it would be cool if Axl would do something like the stones did on their 40 Licks tour.  A stadium, arena, and club show all in the same city.  However, Axl is going to have increase demand for his gunners, as attendance for the 2002 tour was less than overwhelming.

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: