Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 06:08:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227993 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What would you give to have the REAL GnFnR reunite?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What would you give to have the REAL GnFnR reunite?  (Read 25266 times)
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2004, 03:00:48 PM »

OK not one person has answered the original post lol This thread was really supposed to be for the people who would like to see them reunite. It wasn't a "would u want the real guns to reunite" thread. Bullshit and circumstances aside, it was meant to be what would u give for Slash or Axl to call each other up and be like "look man we had something great for a while, fuck all the bullshit-lets get everyone on board"? I personally don't care who likes the new band more or comparing what Slash has done with what Axl hasn't done or any of that crap.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2004, 03:18:01 PM »

Looking for absurd suggestions as to what you would do to have the real band reunite. That's Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy with matt or steven. And please no answers like "the real band is together with fortus and Brain" or stuff like that.

Bah i'd much rather see Buckethead rejoin - we've seen what the old band can do no its time for something new

Though i must confess i would love to see Izzy back in Guns.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2004, 03:22:03 PM »

Sorry Wheres Izzy, one more off topic. nervous

However, Scott obviously took Slash to levels of creative inspiration Axl couldn't toward the end of their (Axl and Slash) relationship.? Slash obviously believes in Scott where he'd lost all faith in Axl's creative vision.?
Huh I think Slash and Duff said they used to write their parts previous to the vocal parts in most GNR songs. And they had already written music in Contra before Scot joined.
Anyhow it seems the chemistries of great rock bands have best-before dates.
Face it, the version of GNR that recorded AFD is dead, we already had the funeral.? This version will need to release an album before a proper comparision can be made to the other versions (Steven vs. Matt vs. Brain etc.), however I have seen various incarnations of GNR live since 1986, and I must say that this is by far the most polished and professional version yet.?
Halleluiah!! Hell yeah, I prefer new version of AFD songs. Early('87?) lives are also good tho. beer
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2004, 03:22:21 PM »

Nothing. The new band is great, even better than the old one.

/lastroots

Id love to see this explained...

Its not like he went directly to Scott and said your the guy I want.

Actually, Weiland was the guy they wanted from the jump.  He was with STP.

SLash wants to jam and keep it simple. More power to him.

Whats with this "just wanna jam" bullshit?  Does Contraband sound like just a jam session?  The band is a serious one, not a "just wantna jam" one.  If anybody holds that viewpoint, its Izzy.  VR is out promoting, touring the world, and releasing actual music.  Not what I consider a carefree, "lets just jam" scenario.  Because Slash didnt share Axls laborious, electronic-friendly approach to making music doesnt mean he just wanted to jam.  He wanted to keep it "GNR," and GNR wasnt about just jamming.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2004, 03:24:50 PM »

Its not like he went directly to Scott and said your the guy I want.

Actually, Weiland was the guy they wanted from the jump.? He was with STP.

Actually - apparently, it was Mike Patton they went to first and he laughed in their face - their's an article about it somewhere - damn he would have been an awesome choice!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
madagas
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2004, 03:33:35 PM »

Booker, Contraband sounds like an anal ass fart if you ask me....way to polished and professional. Slickly produced garbage with NO soul and generic druggy lyrics..been there and done that 1000000000 times Grin. If Axl makes a record like that, I will shoot myself.  Grin
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2004, 03:56:18 PM »

Nothing. The new band is great, even better than the old one.

/lastroots

Id love to see this explained...

Ok, just for you.

Main Entry: opin?ion
Pronunciation: &-'pin-y&n
Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin opinion-, opinio, from opinari

1 a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b : APPROVAL, ESTEEM
2 a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge b : a generally held view
3 a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based
- opin?ioned  /-y&nd/ adjective

synonyms OPINION, VIEW, BELIEF, CONVICTION, PERSUASION, SENTIMENT mean a judgment one holds as true. OPINION implies a conclusion thought out yet open to dispute <each expert seemed to have a different opinion>. VIEW suggests a subjective opinion <very assertive in stating his views>. BELIEF implies often deliberate acceptance and intellectual assent <a firm belief in her party's platform>. CONVICTION applies to a firmly and seriously held belief <the conviction that animal life is as sacred as human>. PERSUASION suggests a belief grounded on assurance (as by evidence) of its truth <was of the persuasion that everything changes>. SENTIMENT suggests a settled opinion reflective of one's feelings <her feminist sentiments are well-known>.

Happy now?  Tongue

When will people learn not to argue about personal opinions?  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2004, 03:59:44 PM »

Actually, Weiland was the guy they wanted from the jump.  He was with STP.
Then why did they listen to a zillion auditions?

Whats with this "just wanna jam" bullshit?
Its the stuff Slash keeps implying whenever he opens his mouth about Axl and gnr. All Slash does is imply how Axls vision is unfathomable and how he just wanted to rock out and keep it simple.

Does Contraband sound like just a jam session?  The band is a serious one, not a "just wantna jam" one.

Never said it wasnt. This is Slashs first "real band" effort since Gnr. And the material on CB is pretty generic and is pretty simple is it not? Even the fans who like CB say its a regular rock record. Hence the philosphy lets keep it simple on focus on jamming and getting on the road.

Because Slash didnt share Axls laborious, electronic-friendly approach to making music doesnt mean he just wanted to jam.  He wanted to keep it "GNR," and GNR wasnt about just jamming.
I know because the Illusions was a "just jamming" effort?
As Axl has said Slash is lazy and wants to keep things simple. Yea it might work and its the easy and safe way to go, but the end results are boring...evidence of this is Snakepit and CB.

Im not saying new Gnr is going to be this revolutionary sound but its not going to be the same old thing either.

If Slashs idea of Gnr was what he did with his solo stuff and VR, I'm glad they broke up when they did.

Whats wrong with taking those, dare I say, electronics, and incorporate it into your sound. If it works, why not. Doesnt hurt to try. AFD is nothing like the illusions. The band seemed to do just fine and made some great music in the process. So why was it so unfathomable to progress from the illusions the next effort?

Its the same old story so im not even gonna continue....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2004, 05:15:51 PM »

I find it hard to believe that the fans that have been into GN'R since the early 90's - especially those who didn't get to see them,? Would'nt be pleased if they worked something out? and got back to being a creative force.

I for one would love it!!? This is the band that? have inspired me and excited me with the work they had done together.? Of course i still get excited about anything new they do - apart.?

Really enjoy VR i think what they have going is really great and they have huge potential.
And seeing the new GNR was amazing.? And i'm truly excited by the prospect of a new album from Axl, i truly am.?

But to see the original guys together and being truly creative as they were, that would be the bollocks... if i had the money, i wouldn't mind how much it cost. I know alot of guys who feel the same.?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 11:17:51 AM by St.heathen » Logged

It&#039;s a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2004, 06:07:06 PM »

OK not one person has answered the original post lol

Well, I did answer it... I mentioned the other stuff too, cause I thought it was relevant, but I said I'd pay $100 for a ticket to see the original band in concert.   ok

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2004, 06:16:56 PM »

he's here because it is a GNR forum not a "new GNR" Forum ok
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2004, 06:22:56 PM »

Chas: If the snakepit records were recorded by gnr they would of sold better, at least compareable to the spagetti incident, been better, ie Axl's Voice and Duff's Bass and probably wouldn't have had the same songs, since the band would of tweaked them differently

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2004, 06:49:35 PM »

Its an opinion that many peopel feel the same about.

So?

By Axl's account, he says the material was very promising.

Apparently by Slash's actions, he didn't feel the material was promising in the least.

What levels of creative inspiration has Slash achieved.

A focused, relevant record with a since of urgency that's not only spawned a number 1 debut, a number 1 single and sold out world tour, but also got Slash to an audience he never would have got to with his former band.?

Apparently more than a few think it's above average...

And whose to say if Slash was correct in his descison on Axls vision.

Well, Slash can.? He didn't believe in it so the correct decision for Slash personally was to walk.

I can almost guarentee the material would have been a lot better than snakepit and vr.

Snakepit? Sure.? VR?? Not for me.? Regressing to UYI 3 and becoming Axl's version of the Electric Light Orchestra is/was a giant move backwards for Slash.?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GunsN'Gravy
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2004, 07:07:04 PM »

I'd buy them all this

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2004, 07:46:53 PM »

Apparently by Slash's actions, he didn't feel the material was promising in the least.
Thats fine, but he shouldnt imply his vision was better. Because up to now its not. When Cd is released we will how it stands next to Axls "vision".

A focused, relevant record with a since of urgency
Relevant to what?

not only spawned a number 1 debut, a number 1 single and sold out world tour,
Thats all great and dandy. They did well. Im not disputing that. But with their crudentials and  fan base is it that much of a feat? Lets not forget the promotion and hype.

but also got Slash to an audience he never would have got to with his former band. 
Did he reach that audience because of his playing or because of his frontman?

VR?  Not for me.  Regressing to UYI 3 and becoming Axl's version of the Electric Light Orchestra is/was a giant move backwards for Slash. 

UYI3? "Guns on Steroids" must mean Axl must have brought in some hardcore horn blowers. Its funny because even Axl wasnt that happy with how the illusions turned out. I would take Slash more seriously if he actually did what he says.
Axl has also said he would have done a "slash type album"

Its all talk. All i know is that i miss the old slash. The slash from GNR.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2004, 08:32:32 PM »

Then why did they listen to a zillion auditions?

He was with STP.

Understand?

Its the stuff Slash keeps implying whenever he opens his mouth about Axl and gnr. All Slash does is imply how Axls vision is unfathomable and how he just wanted to rock out and keep it simple.

Not unfathomable, unfavorable.  Slash didnt want to make Axls music.  And that doesnt mean simple, because Im sure you would agree that GNRs previous music was neither bad or "simple".

Never said it wasnt. This is Slashs first "real band" effort since Gnr.

No, the 2000 Snakepit was a serious effort as well.  Whether it was successful, or you like it, doesnt change that.

And the material on CB is pretty generic and is pretty simple is it not?

No.

Hence the philosphy lets keep it simple on focus on jamming and getting on the road.

No.  Again, whats with this "jamming" nonsense?  They didnt focus on jamming, they focused on making an album.  And they did it in under 10 years, kind of like GNR did with AFD and even the UYIs. 

As Axl has said Slash is lazy and wants to keep things simple.

For the millionth time (although some of you will never get it), refusing to do things Axls way doesnt equal lazy. 

B youre right...I mean first Slash puts out 3 records since GNR, has done tons of session work, and continues to tour the world.   Can the guy get any lazier?

Yea it might work and its the easy and safe way to go, but the end results are boring...evidence of this is Snakepit and CB.

I wont argue your opinion, since that all this is.  But while you criticize Contraband, you praise "Silkworms" and "Rhiad".   So with that in perspective, Ill just leave it alone.

Im not saying new Gnr is going to be this revolutionary sound

You basically are....

If Slashs idea of Gnr was what he did with his solo stuff and VR, I'm glad they broke up when they did.

And the same could easily be said for what weve heard from Axl...

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2004, 08:38:38 PM »

Thats fine, but he shouldnt imply his vision was better. Because up to now its not. When Cd is released we will how it stands next to Axls "vision".

Well, up to now it is.? It's pretty much a 1 horse race with no other horse anywhere in sight.

Relevant to what?

Relevant to it's time and place.? It's the highest selling debut for a new rock band in the soundscan era.

But with their crudentials and? fan base is it that much of a feat? Lets not forget the promotion and hype.

I think they've actually overcame their collective past and the stigmas associated with both bands
and have done so by going out there and doing it.? Releasing an album, promoting it and doing all the right things to present themselves to the public and get them heard.

Did he reach that audience because of his playing or because of his frontman?

Frontman for the most part.? I've always held that opinion.? That said, it was a brilliant (yet risky) move.
They knew what they had to do to break into that market and took a huge leap of faith in doing so.

High risk, high reward.

?

All i know is that i miss the old slash. The slash from GNR.

The one who was always wasted and is constantly ridiculed for his varying stories?

Not me.? I prefer the Slash who's a valued cog in a five piece outfit?with focus and direction.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 08:59:27 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2004, 09:02:44 PM »

Understand?
So they had auditions even though they wanted Weiland?

Not unfathomable, unfavorable.
No, he used the word unfathomable in an old article.

Slash didnt want to make Axls music.  And that doesnt mean simple, because Im sure you would agree that GNRs previous music was neither bad or "simple".
What exactely is Axls music? When has Axl said he wants to only do industrial/techno/tap dance/trance/ or anythign else? He has said he was willing to do a slash type record. Its been said CD will be more rock based than people expect. Where exactely is this unfathomable sound that Axl is hinging his career on?

No, the 2000 Snakepit was a serious effort as well.  Whether it was successful, or you like it, doesnt change that.
I was being nice and not counting it as a serious effort.
But if you say so.

Again, whats with this "jamming" nonsense?  They didnt focus on jamming, they focused on making an album.
Its not nonsense. Slashs musical philosophy is to keep it simple and just "rock out". With Snakepit and CB that is what hey did. Laid down some baisc rock tracks so that they can get out on the road and rock out.

And they did it in under 10 years, kind of like GNR did with AFD and even the UYIs. 
Axl and the band has been working on material since 98/99. 2004-1998=6 yrs.
To the mainstream, Slash first big effort since GNR is vr. When did VR begin? 2002/3?
now Slash left in 1998? took him 4 years to do something of relevance.

B youre right...I mean first Slash puts out 3 records since GNR, has done tons of session work, and continues to tour the world.   Can the guy get any lazier?
Bands and artists put out albums all the time. I want quality not quanity. Again, SLash first serious effort is VR. Prior to VR he has done nothing that compares to his work with GNr.

But while you criticize Contraband, you praise "Silkworms" and "Rhiad".   So with that in perspective, Ill just leave it alone.
I dont praise those songs liek they are classics. I have said they are very good songs that are interesting and rock. With that being said, I have said numerous times that those songs are not classics and that they will not do well if released as singles.

I dont bash CB. All I have said is that its a descent album. If you like it great. I could care less. Who am I to say what some1 should and shouldnt like.

You basically are....
where?

based on bootlegs?
When i first heard YGNR bootleg I laughed at the song. When I heard teh studio I thought it was great.

Ive also said GNR have a lot to prove musically. Ive never said tehy ahve done the job yet. SOngs liek maddy,cd and the blues are excellent but they are the type of songs that help make an album great. Im expecting even better songs from the boys. And if tehy deliver, songs liek maddy,cd,the blues will make CD that much more special.

Well, up to now it is.  It's pretty much a 1 horse race with no other horse anywhere in sight
Is that because of the musical environment or the band just blowing all taht great music we have on mainstream radio out of the water?

Frontman for the most part.  I've always held that opinion.  That said, it was a brilliant (yet risky) move.
They knew what they had to do to break into that market and took a huge leap of faith in doing so.

High risk, high reward.
So they were risky because they took a particular frontman so that they could get into a certain market? What happened to doing things based on just making music.

prefer the Slash who's a valued cog in a five piece outfit with focus and direction.
Slashs post gnr work doesnt come close to what he did with gnr.

anarchy
VIP

Smug

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2004, 09:13:23 PM »

Understand?

Not unfathomable, unfavorable.

Slash didnt want to make Axls music.  And that doesnt mean simple, because Im sure you would agree that GNRs previous music was neither bad or "simple".
What exactely is Axls music? When has Axl said he wants to only do industrial/techno/tap dance/trance/ or anythign else? He has said he was willing to do a slash type record. Its been said CD will be more rock based than people expect. Where exactely is this unfathomable sound that Axl is hinging his career on?

But if you say so.

Again, whats with this "jamming" nonsense?  They didnt focus on jamming, they focused on making an album.
Its not nonsense. Slashs musical philosophy is to keep it simple and just "rock out". With Snakepit and CB that is what hey did. Laid down some baisc rock tracks so that they can get out on the road and rock out.

And they did it in under 10 years, kind of like GNR did with AFD and even the UYIs. 
Axl and the band has been working on material since 98/99. 2004-1998=6 yrs.
To the mainstream, Slash first big effort since GNR is vr. When did VR begin? 2002/3?
now Slash left in 1998? took him 4 years to do something of relevance.

Bands and artists put out albums all the time. I want quality not quanity. Again, SLash first serious effort is VR. Prior to VR he has done nothing that compares to his work with GNr.

But while you criticize Contraband, you praise "Silkworms" and "Rhiad".   So with that in perspective, Ill just leave it alone.
I dont praise those songs liek they are classics. I have said they are very good songs that are interesting and rock. With that being said, I have said numerous times that those songs are not classics and that they will not do well if released as singles.

I dont bash CB. All I have said is that its a descent album. If you like it great. I could care less. Who am I to say what some1 should and shouldnt like.

You basically are....
where?

based on bootlegs?
When i first heard YGNR bootleg I laughed at the song. When I heard teh studio I thought it was great.

Ive also said GNR have a lot to prove musically. Ive never said tehy ahve done the job yet. SOngs liek maddy,cd and the blues are excellent but they are the type of songs that help make an album great. Im expecting even better songs from the boys. And if tehy deliver, songs liek maddy,cd,the blues will make CD that much more special.

Well, up to now it is.  It's pretty much a 1 horse race with no other horse anywhere in sight
Is that because of the musical environment or the band just blowing all taht great music we have on mainstream radio out of the water?

Frontman for the most part.  I've always held that opinion.  That said, it was a brilliant (yet risky) move.

High risk, high reward.
So they were risky because they took a particular frontman so that they could get into a certain market? What happened to doing things based on just making music.

prefer the Slash who's a valued cog in a five piece outfit with focus and direction.
Slashs post gnr work doesnt come close to what he did with gnr.

It don't really matter.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2004, 09:24:15 PM »

Understand?

Yes.  See, they wanted him.  He was still in STP.  So they had to find somebody else.  Dont see whats hard to understand about it.

Whatever the case...the points the same.

"My World" and "Oh My God" can help answer your question.  Thats not what Slash wanted to do.  And while Axl hasnt publicly said "I only want to do industrial/techno...," his infatuation with and desire to do that kind of music (nobody said only that music, either) is no secret.

But if you say so.

Right...

Again, whats with this "jamming" nonsense?? They didnt focus on jamming, they focused on making an album.

You missed the point: Slash is anything but lazy.

When i first heard YGNR bootleg I laughed at the song.

Why?  Its essentially the same as the record?

Then again, you do think "Silkworms" is a really good song, so... Lips Sealed

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: