Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 05:56:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227994 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Hollywood Rose - Roots of Guns N' Roses
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hollywood Rose - Roots of Guns N' Roses  (Read 33490 times)
TIPSY
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2004, 08:39:21 AM »

Oops.  It doesn't say Traci at all.  

But it does say AXL capitalized for some reason.

On another note, is this gem going to be considered a rare item because it's actually not legal as it never had Axl's consent so he'll sue? Undecided
badapple81
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2004, 08:51:09 AM »

Sounds like a great CD!

Hope I can get it here in Sydney!
TIPSY
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2004, 12:40:28 PM »

Okay, I figured out why they have it as all songs by AXL Rose, Izzy Stradlin, Chris Weber.

If you read the Vicky Hamilton Story inside, the band was called A.X.L.

This CD is awesome.  Go buy it if you don't have it.  A must for all Guns fans.  Everytime I read the insert and the story by Vicky and see the pictures, it's like I am back in 1980s again  Wink
DazRose85
Rocker

Devon, England, UK

« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2004, 02:01:31 PM »

According to play.com, the UK should get it on July 5th now:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=cdartist&searchstring=Hollywood+Rose&page=search

"You've gotta choice in life... rock n' roll or classical" - Axl

11/06/06 - Download Festival, Donington
30/07/06 - Wembley Arena, London
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2004, 12:51:08 PM »

"The Roots of Guns N' Roses", a collection of the very first demos recorded by Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin before they became GUNS N' ROSES, premiered with a paltry 1,891 copies.

Source(s): http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/

How many % of the sales came from people on this board? Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
lastroots
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2004, 02:29:04 PM »

I also just wanted to post that Jarmo.

I was kinda shocked. What the fuck is going on???
QA lame assed Greatest Hits compilation sells the fuck outta everything. VRs album, an album by a sidekick band so to say, which isn't overwhelming (at leat if you have an objective look /listen) sells nearly as much.
And this one only sells 1900?? What the hell?

Everybody is complaining all the time that CD doesn't come. And now that there is an amazing album to shorten the time until cd, an album that includes two unreleased songs and which REALLY kicks ass in its entirety (in opposite to the other stuff that was released this year) - nobody is buying it.

I just can't understand that.

/lastroots

Before you answer the obvious: Yeah, it's a small label and there has been nearly no advertising. But yet 1900 is far from being enough....

NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2004, 04:01:17 PM »

Also remember that these tracks are available via other avenues ( music downloading, compilations). Further, people may have a hard time justifying buying something that is the same 5 tracks remixed.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
lastroots
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2004, 04:20:06 PM »

Also remember that these tracks are available via other avenues ( music downloading, compilations). Further, people may have a hard time justifying buying something that is the same 5 tracks remixed.

The versions on here have a far better quality than those on the net.

And: The songs on GH were not only available via other sources. Everyone on here for sure had multiple versions of all these songs, even though nearly everyone bought that shit. So why not buy something that is really worth it?

/lastroots
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 04:20:53 PM by lastroots » Logged
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2004, 04:27:41 PM »

And: The songs on GH were not even available via other sources. Everyone on here for sure had multiple versions of all these songs, even though nearly everyone bought that shit. So why not buy something that is really worth it?

I can't answer that. I bought HR and absolutley love it. I do think that most of the people who bought GH are casual music fans and not hardcore GNR fans, who may not be interested in any pre-GNR era stuff.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2004, 05:31:38 PM »

I think GH sold so well because a new group of teenagers heard maybe SCOM or WTTJ or PC or NR on the radio or at a dance for the last few years and when they get a chance to have a so called GH they go out and get it. US THE HARDCORE have all the songs but we buy it for the pictures, the inserts and because its something new. I think the no pub. and the high price scared away the casual listener. Maybe if the company putting out HR could of gotten a law suit with AXL in the news it would of helped, but to spend $15 on 5 songs is alot. I bought the cd, but I wouldnt recommend it to my friends. I told them Id give them a free copy. $3 a song is alot (I'm not counting the remixes they really are pointless)

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2004, 02:51:40 PM »

Axl and Izzy look adorable in that old picture.  I hadn't seen that one before.  I will probably buy this CD.  How good is Vicky Hamilton's story, does she give other interesting tidbits?  
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2004, 12:54:03 PM »

Hey guys!!! I have the new Hollywood Rose album. I've listened to it a bunch since I got in almost a week ago.

The first 5 tracks are the original 5 tracks by Hollywood Rose and GUns N" Roses

3 of the tracks are Guns N' Roses tracks from the early days and 2 of them are with Izzy, Axl, Weber, ect.

The oringal tracks are really the original with the "take 1 My Way Your Way"  before Anything Goes. THe vocals seem to be in the background too much, but these are raw, cheap recordings. I like them, so rock on.

Gilby remixed the next 5 and Tracii Guns is on the last 2 tracks on this set of 5.

Then Fred Coury just remixed the songs around to what he figured sounded cool.

It is just 5 songs copied 2 more times to make 15 tracks. I don't recommend the album to anyone that isn't die hard.

It isn't a great album obviously. It is okay. I like the Gilby remixes with Tracii's overdubs over Slash's guitar, very nice.

HR- 3/5

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2004, 01:01:25 PM »

It isn't a great album obviously. It is okay. I like the Gilby remixes with Tracii's overdubs over Slash's guitar, very nice.

Oh dear - i'd take your version back if it has Slash on it - u see he was never in Hollywood Rose hihi

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2004, 01:12:59 PM »

Well 3 of the songs read HUdson/Rose/Stradlin/ ect

So that means they either wrote the music or lyrics and I know that 4 people didn't write Shadow of Your Love....

Sucks to be a fool doesn't it? Yeah I thought so.

Saul Hudson is featured on 3 of the 5 original tracks... sorry. That is what is says.

But don't damn me
AxlGunner
VIP

Ryu says: I am NOT a llama!

« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2004, 01:42:28 PM »

So that means they either wrote the music or lyrics and I know that 4 people didn't write Shadow of Your Love....

Saul Hudson is featured on 3 of the 5 original tracks... sorry. That is what is says.

no no no no no....  no no

"All songs performed by AXL Rose, Izzy Stradlin, Chris Weber, and Johnny Kreis. Recorded Janyary of 1984 in Hollywood, California."

the only reason slash's name is on the others is because he is credited with them for copyright reasons, as they were officially released first on GNR's albums/singles. He didn't play on these versions. i dont think he even knew axl in 1984.

now you know me better
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2004, 01:59:48 PM »

no no no no no....  no no

"All songs performed by AXL Rose, Izzy Stradlin, Chris Weber, and Johnny Kreis. Recorded Janyary of 1984 in Hollywood, California."

the only reason slash's name is on the others is because he is credited with them for copyright reasons, as they were officially released first on GNR's albums/singles. He didn't play on these versions. i dont think he even knew axl in 1984.

thanks man... my bad...

But don't damn me
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2004, 12:30:20 AM »

I like the originals, the remixs are mainly bad except for 1 where they turned up the vocal mix, but i could do without the other 9 remixes

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2004, 05:02:02 AM »

I just got this album.

I like the originals, they rock...didn't care much for the Gilby Clarke mixes...but I liked the Cinderella mixes with the double bass drumming! I would have liked to see a couple more of the originals...maybe the faster version of Back off Bitch which I think would have fitted nicely (I didn't like that they slowed down this song for the UYI)

I hope Axl does plenty of fast songs for the new record...

Here today...ready to rock
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2004, 03:26:50 PM »

I just got this album.

I like the originals, they rock...didn't care much for the Gilby Clarke mixes...but I liked the Cinderella mixes with the double bass drumming! I would have liked to see a couple more of the originals...maybe the faster version of Back off Bitch which I think would have fitted nicely (I didn't like that they slowed down this song for the UYI)

I hope Axl does plenty of fast songs for the new record...

It's a great album - does thingy from Cinderalla redo the drums entirely cos it certainly seems like he has

Gilby + Tracii's Shadow of Your love was worth the price and the 6 week delay alone!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2004, 09:38:52 PM »

It is $13-$14 for 5 songs. They are ok. Interesting how they changed. But the remixes are a waste of time. Nothing interesting there and certainly not needed. Just an excuse to jack up the price so they can charge for a "full" CD.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: