Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:10:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Hollywood Rose - Roots of Guns N' Roses
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hollywood Rose - Roots of Guns N' Roses  (Read 33557 times)
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2004, 09:54:49 PM »

"I make my livin' killin' tiiiiiiiime!!" smoking

Wow, the sound is fuckin' awesome. I had the bootleg Hairspray Heroes for a few months (the MP3s that have surfaced online come from the same bootleg), but I think this CD is just worth it for the sound. Clearly the CD has been pressed from the masters (Weber probably still has the master tapes.
Axl's voice is amazing (you can clearly recognize it, I'm still amazed by the sound quality), the guitars are actually pretty cool and even though the production is kinda rough, it still sounds amazing. Very, very old school (hell, they say on the cover the songs were recorded in January of 1984) but extremely interesting for ANY GN'R fan. I mean, just listen to Anything Goes: almost two minutes longer than on Appetite (guitar solos added). Chris Weber was actually pretty good on guitar!!
Killing Time and Rocker (the only two "unreleased" tracks on the CD) are very cool, Axl's voice sounds very raw, really angry, unpolished, no effects at all, high pitched..."Rockeeeeeeeeeeeeer...Rolleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!!" I know it's the third time I say it but the sound is amazing. It's like on a "normal" CD. I know it sounds dumb but when you've listened to the bootleg versions for a while it REALLY makes a difference.

That's too bad they didn't include "That Something" and the unkown title song (both available on the bootleg Hairspray Heroes). Too bad considering they including ten remixes instead. Those are clearly not necessary and are basically just fillers. Shadow and Reckless remixed are kinda cool with Tracii's overdubs but that's pretty much it. Hollywood Rose really rocks!! I think everyone already knows "Shadow Of Your Love" (it's available on the "Live And Let Die" CD single). In case you don't it's the very fast paced, cool song. Pretty short (3 minutes) but definitely worth listening.
I like the different intro they do for Reckless Life. It gives it a different feel. The songs sounds overall almost more aggressive, like the band is going after you or something! Pretty cool... yes

I forgot to mention the packaging, really cool too. Lots of small pictures inside the booklet from that era. Check out those two scans from the booklet:

The story written by Vicky Hamilton is pretty interesting, even though it's just one side of the story. It seems like the CD has been created with Chris Weber's help...Overall it's an extremely interesting CD for every GN'R fan. That's a part of the puzzle.

Overall rating: 8/10 (4 starts out of 5 if we want to keep RS, Blender, etc's tradition).

Go buy it, it's a fuckin' kick ass CD!!

NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2004, 10:31:56 PM »

This is probably the best tide over to CD that could be delivered. Let's go the scale:

Original Demos: 5/5 N's: Axl's voice is amazing! To echo what the RS review said, just from listening to his raw scream, you knew this guy was gonna be a star! This version of 'Antyhing Goes' is Killer! Much better than Appetite's, IMo. 'Killing Time is strong too.

Gilby Remix:  2/5 N's: Not impressed.

Coury Remix: 3.5/5 N's: For some reason, I feel these mixes really compliment Axl's voice. They certainly have a more finished feel than the Gilby ones.

Cover/Liner Art: 4/5 N's: The narrative given is fascinating, and the pics of the flyers and setlists are really cool to see...a prelude to what was to come.

Overall: 4/5: The Gilby demos nonwithstanding, this is a pretty cool CD: Axl vocally at his most raw and untamed. This showcases the potential that Axl had, and one wonders if HR would still have made it without the subsequent events. (I think so  Wink )

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
lastroots
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2004, 04:52:59 AM »

Completely right, guys. Since I got this CD yesterday I'M listening to it permanently. Rocker is my fav. It just kicks ass like nothing else. By the way, Nick, I think Gilbys versions of Shadow and Reckless with Traciis overdubs are pretty good.

Hell,this cd is a must have for everyone. I got so much more than I expected. Can't understand why there's so few talkin' about it.

/lastroots
DazRose85
Rocker

Devon, England, UK

« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2004, 06:41:35 AM »

Ahhhh! I'm really looking forward to this now! Hopefully I can find it in a music store when we get it next Monday.

"You've gotta choice in life... rock n' roll or classical" - Axl

11/06/06 - Download Festival, Donington
30/07/06 - Wembley Arena, London
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2004, 11:10:04 AM »

By the way, Nick, I think Gilbys versions of Shadow and Reckless with Traciis overdubs are pretty good.

They aren't terrible, I just like the Coury mixes better, maybe after a few more listens they'll grow more on me.
BTW, does anyone else think these original lyrics to "Anything Goes" are better than the ones on AFD?

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2004, 11:47:00 AM »

Anyone know if their are any other Hollywood Rose demos out their? Im sure ive heard one called Cold Hearted Man that isnt on this CD.

Riot In Everyone!
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2004, 12:34:10 PM »

Anyone know if their are any other Hollywood Rose demos out their? Im sure ive heard one called Cold Hearted Man that isnt on this CD.

Cold Hearted Man? Never heard of that one. Check out my post above:

That's too bad they didn't include "That Something" and the unkown title song (both available on the bootleg Hairspray Heroes). Too bad considering they including ten remixes instead. Those are clearly not necessary and are basically just fillers.

Besides those two, there are obviously the tracks that appear on the setlist in the booklet, but they may have not been recorded (just played live), there's no way to know. There is also "Your Looks Are Gone", a track that appeared online a couple of years ago, but no one knows if it's legit or not (the sound and MP3 compression are very bad on that track, kinda hard to distinguish a voice).

Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2004, 01:23:44 PM »

Cold Hearted Man is definatly Hollywood Rose a song - you can clearly hear Axls voice on it. Someone posted it over in AFC a while back.

Riot In Everyone!
killingtime1
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2004, 04:38:52 PM »

Cold hearted Man must be the real name of the "Untitled song" on Hairspray heroes bootleg -Track 8....just listen to the lyrics.

Also, I think Rocker is a cover of ACDC's song. Does anyone know if Killing time is also a cover song?? I know Metallica did one on the Garage albums, but I havent heard it.
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2004, 04:47:24 PM »

Cold hearted Man must be the real name of the "Untitled song" on Hairspray heroes bootleg -Track 8....just listen to the lyrics.

Also, I think Rocker is a cover of ACDC's song. Does anyone know if Killing time is also a cover song?? I know Metallica did one on the Garage albums, but I havent heard it.
None of the songs are covers. If they were then the original writer's name would be credited and the album clearly credits Axl,Izzy,and Co. on all the songs. Also the name of the song is "Cold Hard Cash" not Cold Hearted Man.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 04:49:59 PM by IndiannaRose » Logged
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2004, 04:50:32 PM »

I will listen to untitled track again but you might be right.

About Rocker, no this is not an AC/DC cover, the lyrics are not the same: http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Ac-Dc/ROCKER.html. Killing Time is not a Metallica cover either: http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Metallica/Killing-Time.html. God Bless Google! Grin

killingtime1
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2004, 06:19:15 PM »

Fair enough, but Rocker is very similar to ACDC's version of the same song.

Also about the credits, the covers on LIES album were not credited to Aerosmith (Mama Kin) or Rose Tatoo(Nice boys).
RitzWalker8
Rocker

I love my Pancreas!!!

« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2004, 08:06:37 PM »

I agree with everyone on this boars.  If you a big GNR fan this is a must have.  No way around it.  This CD made me realize that any song is great if Axl sings it.  It is just unbelievable.  I think VR is pretty good but something is missing when I listen to it.  I was thinking I really don't like Scott Weiland that much on this particular record.  Then I was thinking what other singer might I like sing to this music.  I realized there is only one.  

Please God . . . .   Free AXL!!!!!

Ritz Reeves III
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2004, 10:27:00 PM »

When was this CD released i went to look for it the other day and i couldnt find it?

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2004, 01:38:29 AM »

Yeah I just bought it too.  I believe its a must have if you are a Zxl fan.  It just pure rock and raw.  
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2004, 01:54:11 AM »

I give the album a 3.33 out of 5. (5 out of 5 for the first 5)  I love the first 5 songs. They are incredible and a testiment to the strength of his voice. The 10 remixes are not even needed. I think they should of put out the 5 alone on a cd for $10. But when you got to pay $15 for 5 songs that sucks. I suggest if you have a friend to just borrow it and copy it accidently. I believe they are ripping of Uncle Axl and making us pay too much. They could of given us 7 different songs and that would of been cool.

Could someone post a list of the other possible Hollywood Rose songs that exist live or recorded or send me the list?

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2004, 05:24:15 AM »

If you are an old school GnR fan this is great.  I'll just give a short review.. I don't really think there was a need for all the remixes but out of the three I guess I like the Gilby ones and I also like Traci's over dubbed guitars. That being said just having the original Demos would be just as cool.

Killing Time- Pretty cool song. Sounds alot like Judas priest to me. Axl sounds just like Halford back in the day in that one. And the riff resembled that kind of metal too.

Anything Goes- It was really cool to hear the roots of this classic song. I used to have an old tape of GnR demos like 15 years ago that had a version of Anything Goes with different lyrics. I don't think it's the same one though. It's been so long I don't know. Anyway, I think this might be my favorite. It' slike a total different song than the Appetite one. It's raw rockin and kicks ass. I also love the Appetite one and think it's one of the most underated songs on teh album.

Rocker- These lyrics are pretty damn cheesy. But it was 1983-84 or whenever it was and that was going on. It is still really cool to have this fine artifact of GnR history

Shadow Of Your Love- I have aquired a few different versions of this one over the years but I think they were recorded by the Gn'R guys. Nothing that different than what I have heard just a bit more raw I guess. I had no idea that GnR actually released this song on the B-side of Live and Let Die. Anyone know if they recorded a new studio version for that or did they use an old demo???

Wreckless Life- Always loved this song. I have a few versions of thi ssong already. Nothing new here. I do like the heaviness traci adds to the version he over dubbed.

Must have for any Old School GnR freak.

axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2004, 02:55:28 PM »

Does Rolling Stone get more idiotic by the hour?

How can u complain about a bonus track?? Its a bonus - u've already got the untouched originals to play with, they would have prefered to get less Huh

They praise the original songs - then give it 2 stars?

Weird

Yes, Rolling Stone is indeed bollocks!

That's a hatrick for Doull
TIPSY
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2004, 06:17:13 PM »

I just bought this at Circuit City for $14.97 and it was worth every damn penny.

It is awesome.  Awesome songs, awesome quality.  Hard to believe it was recorded 20 years ago.

Even the packaging is cool.  And that letter by Vicky Hamilton and how Axl tells her "we are going to be the biggest band in the world" beer

Awesome pics too.

The 5 demos are the best.  No remixing or remastering needed.

It rocks.  Go buy it.  You won't be disappointed. peace

Edit to ask if anyone noticed the bottom where it says "all songs by AXL Rose, Izzy Stradlin, Traci Gunns."

Why'd they capitalize AXL like that?

Is that a pun towards him now? [headscratch]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 06:20:17 PM by TIPSY » Logged
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2004, 07:58:14 PM »

Edit to ask if anyone noticed the bottom where it says "all songs by AXL Rose, Izzy Stradlin, Traci Gunns."

Why'd they capitalize AXL like that?

Is that a pun towards him now?

I didnt see Tracii Gun's name on there. Am I missing it or is it listed under his real name?

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: