Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 04:59:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228014 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  new gnr = lack of attitude
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: new gnr = lack of attitude  (Read 12031 times)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2004, 07:39:47 PM »

Jeez, what an annoying and pointless thread. Who the fuck cares about image? Give me some great music and the rest will take care of itself. I really think some of you should stop worrying about this and just wait for the album to drop before making baseless, indefensibile statements like this. I feel embarrassed for alot of people in this forum today. This is now two threads absolutely polluted by hatred from narrow minded fools.

As jarmo said, if you don't like it right now, go away and let it win you back. I could care less really right now about nu GnR. Nothing is going on and I have no real expectation of a release date. But when it comes, I will be excited and I will buy the album as soon as I can. Braids, buckets, goth sweaters....who cares where they come from or how rich they are or where they live. The real question is, do they make music filled with emotion, originality, and a perspective to which we can relate?

VR are the perfect examples of how you can take some late 30 something/early 40's guys and make them look edgy and classic yet still kind of modern in a rock and roll sense.

With the exception of three or four songs, I found the album to a tremendous, heard it all before, bore. Scott could dress like Gary Glitter for all I care; what matters is what is coming out of his mouth. Let the record company and pinhead fans worry about what he is wearing.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2004, 07:50:10 PM »

Personally- I think the biggest thing holding back Nu GN'R is the fact that they have been practically given ZERO chance to showcase THEIR material. What are they supposed to do? Strut around and act like the 1970's Stones because they're covering GN'R's greatest hits catalog!?! They would just look like grade A a$$holes if they did that. Basically, the most they could have done in 2001-02 was give respectful, professional performances of the old catalog- which they did.

I do think, however, they will have the opportunity to be very "Rock N' Roll" WHENEVER (IF EVER) they get the chance to play their music. It will be different than the old days- no doubt- BUT I imagine guys like Reed, Finck and Stinson are just DYING to rock out on their material and shut all the critics up and the people taking shots at them for sticking with Axl so long. Axl should have every motivation in the world to come back and dominate- given that most people consider him a bloated, egotistical, mysognistic, racist, delusional, bald, has-been responsible for destroying arguably the greatest band of this generation. I'm mean if that doesn't get you up in the morning ready to kick some ass- you should get your head checked. Anyway- no matter what happens- it will have a MUCH DIFFERENT vibe than the VH or VR tours or anything similar. I just don't see a scenario where Nu GN'R has some modest success, fills some arenas and quietly goes home. My guess is that it will either be a HUGE LEGENDARY SUCCESS raising Axl to the level of arguably the greatest front man of all time OR it's going to be the F'ing HINDENBURG and will go down in history as one of the BIGGEST FLOPS of all time. Either way it will make history- and that's why whenever GN'R actually makes their run at it- they will be right where they left off in '93- ON THE EDGE- one hair away from either Rock N' Roll imortality or total implosion. VR, VH etc... for better or worse will never be like that- the stakes just aren't high enough.

Wow, I don't think I could have worded it better. Thank you.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2004, 04:35:21 AM »

The reason we all loved old gnr was because of the booze, the ballads, and the badass fuck you attitude they portrayed.? Throughout the life of old gnr, the reason people loved and respected Axl was because he did what he wanted and could care less about what people thought of him.? He simply wrote and performed against the immense expectations of the industry and the fans.? ?Although, after appetite there were huge expectations for gnr to go above and beyond appetite, Axl never let pressure from the industry dictate the way he wrote and produced music.? I believe that this was because he could honestly careless what the industry and fans expected from his music.?

Most of you in here will still say that Axl still could care less about what the fans think.? Evidence of this being the lack of updates concerning the status of new gnr, the cancelled tour, the 9 years he has been working on CD, etc.....? ?See I tend to believe that Axl has lost that confident attitude that drove old GNR. If this was not so, Axl would not be so secretive about his work.? Do you actually think back then Axl would have made a concerted effort to conceal information concerning the production of UYI by paying off members of the band and forcing roadies into confidentiality agreements?? Hell no.? The attitude of old gnr was so far above and beyond those expectations and pressures concerning UYI, that they probably never thought twice to silence people close to the band.?

After 9 years in the making, the stakes for new GNR could not be higher.? Axl most certainly feels the pressure.? The only reason for this, is a change in the way Axl feels people will respond to CD.? It has been said in several interviews that Axl wants CD to be this huge dramatic event.? Do you think old school Axl would care about how huge his next record was going to be?? No.... no damn way.? That is why old gnr kicked major ass.? They could care less who hears their records or comes to their shows.? Look at VR..... there is still the remnants of a "who the hell cares" attitude still alive.? They made that record while Weiland was in rehab and are now putting out videos that are being banned.? That was GNR 15 years ago!? Bottomline: Axl and the new band have lost that hardcore edge that we all love.? Evidence of this is the fact that they are too secretive and concerned about this dramatic even that we keep believing is about to happen.

In part I give you the reason and in part I don't. I definatley have always felt that the failure of TSI? kind of made Axl change a little his vision. But also I remember that even in the old days Axl always kind of conected with the people and somehow concerned about his fans, (I agree that the rest of the band have never give a fuck about what fans think about their music, but axl somehow was always diferent). Also I dont think that Axl's new sense of responsability is something negative but more like a process of having a more mature preception of things. ( I mean its a huge load of responsability to have to release an album that so much people have been waiting with great expectations for years, its almost like doing a starwars prequel, hehe).

AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2004, 04:58:29 AM »

Even if the original band were still together they really wouldnt be the same... they are 40 something now.... They have a lot of money.... they are all sober.... its time to move on with life... i dont want to see a mid life band acting angry and dangerous.  They grew up.  The fans should also.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2004, 08:38:41 AM »

Dave those car photos have been around for ages now, those are far from new.Doesn't matter anyways.. By the way who has seen axl?

As for maddy why is it progressing? I mean it's a very basic song with a church organ intro and basic guitar, not better then the ballads of Illusions.. I think you make maddy out to be way better then it is.

The snakepit albums are not gnr, it doesn't matter if axl mentioned we would be getting an album like that if they continued because the song writers and players would be different so it's sound would be much different..

As for something like contraband I like it, it's not better then the illusions or afd but it's a style I like.. I originally was drawn to gnr because of their attitude, rawness, and 5 guys just rocking out.. I am more of a basic person that loves rocking ballads and regular kick ass rock, I'm not as big into outside intruments from the basics.. I'm not as big into huge productions..

Of course I really like songs like estranged and November rain, but I prefer songs like scom..
I love all? gnr works of old, but I enjoy some more then others..

I am not the only person that think madagascar is better than a lot of the UYI songs.? Its better than dont cry, its better than breakdown, its better than 14 years, yesterdays etc etc.? And its progression, there is alot going on in that song, just listen to it and we are just going by the live version, I am sure the studio there will be much much more meat to it, just listen to that clip, madagascar sounds a lot fuller than the live version.

The 1st snake pit album IS gnr, it was GOING TO BE the next gnr album according to axl and slash.? It just doesnt have Axls vocals but alot of the songs were set to be the next gnr album. And yes they woud have been better if slash did like axl asked and let the band work on them more but we all know the rest is history.

Don't cry is classic, the vocals sound great with hoon aboard and the guitar playing is much better..
I remember when snakepit was being worked on, unless axl worte the lyrics to snakepit's first album then how can it be gnr? I don't know if duff wrote on it, or matt, or anyone else in gnr.. I have the album but not sure where it is to look for credits..

Bottom line is you can't say anything was the next gnr album because it never happened, anything could be said after the fact.. Anyways the album would have been better simply because Axl would have been singing over Eric Dover. If they can release something like the Si then why not release a basic rock album, it's not like you can't do other stuff as time goes on..
It would have been music over the years we have been waiting..

People always say things afterwards. You can't sit here and say I wouldn't have liked a basic rock album done by gnr because dave if axl's singing you know you'll like it.. By now we could have seen three album including whatever was to be after gnr stopped touring in 93.. People side with axl n slash, so most people who dislike slash will say they don't like snakepit right off the bat..

I think Ain't Life Grand is a superb album..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2004, 01:41:22 PM »

JFYI
Dave those car photos have been around for ages now, those are far from new.Doesn't matter anyways.. By the way who has seen axl?
I can't find the thread, but someone, Peeps?, posted here his friend?s story.

His friend met Axl in March or May not sure. He was on a board the plane, where she was as an airhostess. According to her, he wore long hair no braids.

Assuming it was true, he doesn?t wear braids all the time/anymore.

Nevertheless he's kept them for pretty long time for sure.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2004, 03:17:54 AM »

a lot of the chemistry issues deal with the fact they havent released a record.

I thought their chemistry wasnt that great until i realized it was pretty much the bootlegs that made it seem that way.

bootlegs take away from certain things that a proshot makes more clear.

I think Bon Jovi are one of the greatest live bands ever but i have a boot of them and it is like the GNR boots chemistry wise.

so its just the boots we watch and the fact that on the boots 90 percent of the time the camera is on axl.

i love the new band, i love VR

i love things how they are, i like scott weiland and i like what VR are doing but this wait is gonna be worth it.

after hearing what tommy said in Jarmo's excellent interview how can anyone doubt GNR?

when they start touring and singles start racin up the charts and we see videos WATCH OUT!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2004, 11:13:32 AM »

Don't cry is classic, the vocals sound great with hoon aboard and the guitar playing is much better..
I remember when snakepit was being worked on, unless axl worte the lyrics to snakepit's first album then how can it be gnr? I don't know if duff wrote on it, or matt, or anyone else in gnr.. I have the album but not sure where it is to look for credits..

Bottom line is you can't say anything was the next gnr album because it never happened, anything could be said after the fact.. Anyways the album would have been better simply because Axl would have been singing over Eric Dover. If they can release something like the Si then why not release a basic rock album, it's not like you can't do other stuff as time goes on..

People always say things afterwards. You can't sit here and say I wouldn't have liked a basic rock album done by gnr because dave if axl's singing you know you'll like it.. By now we could have seen three album including whatever was to be after gnr stopped touring in 93.. People side with axl n slash, so most people who dislike slash will say they don't like snakepit right off the bat..

Agree.

PS: Slash, Gilby and Matt played in Snakepit, both of them wrote songs. Duff co-wrote Beggars and Hangers-On.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2004, 11:17:43 AM »

Agree.

PS: Slash, Gilby and Matt played in Snakepit, both of them wrote songs. Duff co-wrote Beggars and Hangers-On.

wow, really? I thought it was one of the most boring, gratuitous albums I've ever heard. IFOS and ALG both lacked inspiration.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2004, 11:39:43 AM »

Agree.

wow, really? I thought it was one of the most boring, gratuitous albums I've ever heard. IFOS and ALG both lacked inspiration.

It'll go really offtopic... IMO I5OS would be on the level of AFD if sang. ALG is a quite great album, too. I don't want to compare these to others' post-GN'R-work (their songs after TSI), but the Snakepit albums are among the best rock albums of all time. Maybe you prefer piano songs to guitar-based music, but as far as I know, rock is guitar-based.

Rollin' on the streets
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2004, 12:25:37 PM »

Agree.

It'll go really offtopic... IMO I5OS would be on the level of AFD if sang. ALG is a quite great album, too. I don't want to compare these to others' post-GN'R-work (their songs after TSI), but the Snakepit albums are among the best rock albums of all time. Maybe you prefer piano songs to guitar-based music, but as far as I know, rock is guitar-based.

It's all opinion and I won't denigrate it, but I have to say I've never heard such a positive reaction to those album. It really surprises me that you would call the Snakepit albums some of the "best rock albums of all time." Frankly I don't see it; I am a huge Bucket fan so your accessment of my preferences isn't correct. To each his own.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2004, 01:12:11 PM »

It's all opinion and I won't denigrate it, but I have to say I've never heard such a positive reaction to those album. It really surprises me that you would call the Snakepit albums some of the "best rock albums of all time." Frankly I don't see it; I am a huge Bucket fan so your accessment of my preferences isn't correct. To each his own.

Visit the VR section more often!  ok

PS: It seems that we have different music tastes, as you don't like Snakepit, I find Buckethead's albums boring and pointless, although I respect his 'rapid-fire' playing and I think that he was the most talented guitarist in the new line-up. At least we have one common favourite: Guns N' Roses.

Rollin' on the streets
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: