Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 12:34:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227992 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  richard fortus, legit member in your eyes or not?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: richard fortus, legit member in your eyes or not?  (Read 28485 times)
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2004, 10:44:57 PM »

Fortus was in the Furs too, so enough with this n suck crap. He played on one of their albums big deal. Slash played big black street or do some of you forget that?

But slash is a proven , bonafide guitar god , he can play with whoever he pleases. Richard hasnt even come close to setting his status within the guitar world to that of Mr.Slash.  Personally , I dont see why this thread has diverted to talk of slash anyways but ....   Huh

Yup. Slash is a living legend thats for sure. Mucho praise to the top hatted one because without him none of us would be at HTGTH.  peace

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2004, 10:47:49 PM »

Slash also played with Jacko also. And the point is people are bashing Fortus for playing with N suck, where as slash has played with bands just as bad.  Fortus is a great guitar player and he even wrote for the new album. He added the ending solo to the blues which made the song even better.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2004, 10:51:29 PM »

yeah but isnt it sort of hypocritical for Axl to get so pissed at Slash for playing with micheal jackson and getting mad over the bands side projects when all the new band seems to do is constantly focus on their solo/sideprojects.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 11:04:09 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2004, 10:54:12 PM »

yeah but isnt it sort of hypocritical for Axl to get so pissed at Slash for playing with micheal jackson and getting mad over the bands side projects when all the new band seems to do is constantly focus on their solo/sideprojects.

That is because Axl most likely told the new band members they can do what ever they want until the album drops and they tour.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2004, 11:01:46 PM »

If you ask me richard fortus is the only 'real' musician.
Finck is too gothic and indus and i don't think this is the style of this band, guns n roses is rock and roll, not silly gothic marilyn manson style.

YOUR SAYIN' THIS!!??

are you serious dude, arnt you a Robin fan!!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2004, 11:02:58 PM »

I agree that from what I've seen of the guy playing live he seems like a fairly adept guitar player who can handle chords , lead and slide .. he also added that nice sustaining feedback to madagascar which I like. However my only point is that Fortus is certainly not the established LEGEND that Slash is. I'm sure nobody will argue that point and be serious about it.

maybe years down the road fortus will too icarve quite a name for himself with his guitar playing , but it'll be hard to catch slash in terms of MAJOR riffs and solos .. like top riffs and solos of all time that he'll get under his belt.

Slash has kinda afforded himself the luxury of taking on these silly side projects/sessions and walk away unscathed ... most werent really that bad. I mean jacko right now has himself in a pretty bad spot but that still doesnt take away from the fact that he was the king of pop at one time with some of the biggest selling albums of alltime.

Pretty much comparable to the guys in GNR now playing with axl rose , they all hated AFD and GNR in general , so why join the band? cause you cant deny that axl at one time was one of the biggest forces in rock music.

Personally I'm not dissing fortus for playing sessions on n sync albums , the guy probably just wanted to collect a check and/or royalites and feed/clothe himself ya know?

People need to get over the fact that this new band obviously arent the 5 street thugs from the gutter that raped and pillaged the sunset street on their way to recording the greatest rock album of all time , one AFD. Axl is a whole different guy then what he was back then , of course he's gunna surround himself with different types of players these days.

Fortus is cool .. I'm sure he'll contribute to the album in a nice way , I have more confidence in his guitar playing ability then I do of that of mr.finck.

again , thats just my opinion

Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2004, 11:38:22 PM »

non of em' hated AFD, they just were'nt into it at the time, you cant deny shit!!

I've read quotes from tommy where he says he hated it and thought it was a joke and him and axl had talked about that openly.

we are over it dude, well over it, i think you gotta stop tellin' us we are'nt over it n' accept it!! ok

Hmmm , I see quite a few people who still compare the new band to the old band. I mean isnt this thread all ABOUT fortus not being a legit member cause he was a session player for nysnc and that wasnt something the old band would do? As for me telling anyone this more then once here .. I think you have me confused with someone else as I rarely post here and most certainly havent told anyone that they need to accept the new band for who they are , her at htgth before.  Roll Eyes

ClintroN
Legend

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2004, 11:51:09 PM »

I mean isnt this thread all ABOUT fortus not being a legit member cause he was a session player for nysnc and that wasnt something the old band would do?

man fuck off with the nsync shit, how about you mention Love Split Love or Furs dude, why's it gotta be about nsync, find another way to pick on him mate!!!

June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
ClintroN
Legend

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2004, 12:02:57 AM »

I mean isnt this thread all ABOUT fortus not being a legit member cause he was a session player for nysnc and that wasnt something the old band would do?

yes they did, they got Matt, then Gilby, n' so fuckin' forth!!

we know you think its ok for Slash to jam with black street just 'cause he's the man, but Richard jammed with nsync n' he's not the man, so he's a pussy hey!! Roll Eyes

be fare dude, n' give it up, Richard is in Gunners now n' Slash isnt

June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2004, 12:06:00 AM »

Saul I am just curious, yes fortus is not an established Legend like slash but neither is buckthead, and we all know how much you love BH. ?BH was pretty much an unknown until he joined guns n roses and was basically underground but that doesn?t change the fact how amazing BH is at playing the guitar. ?You don?t have to be an established legend to be a great guitar player. There are tons of unknown guitar players that are better than slash but just because they are not know does not mean they are not a great guitar player. ?

As for Tommy and the new band hating gnr back in the day well guess what slash hated STP and Weiland back in the day and always bashed them calling them wannabes but now Scott is his lead singer. So what about that?

As for Robin Finck, you have never given him a fair shake, and Robin is a great guitar player, people love to bash his playing but his intro to SCOM which people say he butchers sounds just like slash. ?Robin just bends notes too far sometimes but that is his style. Like I tell people get the live NIN album and you will see how great robin is. ?If robin was such a crappy guitarist you really think two of the best rock stars in the world (Axl and Trent) would want him for their guitar player?

ClintroN
Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2004, 12:28:57 AM »

Saul I am just curious, yes fortus is not an established Legend like slash but neither is buckthead, and we all know how much you love BH. ?BH was pretty much an unknown until he joined guns n roses and was basically underground but that doesn?t change the fact how amazing BH is at playing the guitar. ?You don?t have to be an established legend to be a great guitar player. There are tons of unknown guitar players that are better than slash but just because they are not know does not mean they are not a great guitar player. ?

As for Tommy and the new band hating gnr back in the day well guess what slash hated STP and Weiland back in the day and always bashed them calling them wannabes but now Scott is his lead singer. So what about that?

As for Robin Finck, you have never given him a fair shake, and Robin is a great guitar player, people love to bash his playing but his intro to SCOM which people say he butchers sounds just like slash. ?Robin just bends notes too far sometimes but that is his style. Like I tell people get the live NIN album and you will see how great robin is. ?If robin was such a crappy guitarist you really think two of the best rock stars in the world (Axl and Trent) would want him for their guitar player?

very nice!! yes

June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2004, 12:30:54 AM »

People need to get over the fact that this new band obviously arent the 5 street thugs from the gutter that raped and pillaged the sunset street on their way to recording the greatest rock album of all time , one AFD. Axl is a whole different guy then what he was back then , of course he's gunna surround himself with different types of players these days.
I wish everyone on all of these boards would take the time out and read that statement

If robin was such a crappy guitarist you really think two of the best rock stars in the world (Axl and Trent) would want him for their guitar player?
Excellent point....

Until Cd gets released we will not know how good new gnr really are. We can speculate,praise and bash. Until we hear the first to last song on that album we wont fully know. It could be a coming out party for a lot of the members in the band and they can get some mainstream reconigntion for their work. Or they could be diregarded because it iwll suck...time will eventually tell on that....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2004, 12:47:22 AM »

Excellent point....

No its not, and its a point that you yourself seemed to shoot down when you deemed Dave Kushner "nothing special."  Because if he was nothing special, do you think Slash (or Dave Navarro) would really want him as his guitar player?

Excellent point, right?  ok
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2004, 12:51:49 AM »

Excellent point....

No its not, and its a point that you yourself seemed to shoot down when you deemed Dave Kushner "nothing special."? Because if he was nothing special, do you think Slash (or Dave Navarro) would really want him as his guitar player?

Excellent point, right?? ok

What other major star wanted Kushner in their band the status of Axl or Trent or even slash?

The answer is NONE. Navarro is not on the same? level as trent or an Axl. You will never hear anyone way say Navarro is one of the best guitarist in the world or ever.

Also Robin played in the cirque du soliel, if he sucked, again would they have wanted him?
BTW Robin is BETTER than Kushner.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 12:57:50 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2004, 12:59:33 AM »

No its not, and its a point that you yourself seemed to shoot down when you deemed Dave Kushner "nothing special." ?Because if he was nothing special, do you think Slash (or Dave Navarro) would really want him as his guitar player?
Slash and Dave Navvaro are "much easier to work with" than the likes of Axl and Trent. Lets not compare 2 guitar players, 1 great, 1 overated with two "ego maniacs"....

The members in Gnr have now been in the band for over 5 yrs. They are great guys who represent well. How iwll the music sound. Cant tell you. But what I can tell you is that if they were garbage they would have already been out the door..faster than that lead singer that Slash tried out for his band VR.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2004, 01:03:20 AM »

What other major star wanted Kushner in their band the status of Axl or Trent or even slash?

confused

Oh, so there has to be two to prove your "point?" confused ?So somehow the principle (which would be Player X must be great if theyre playing with Singer Y) changes with the number of people involved? ?How typically irrational.

The answer is NONE. Navarro is not on the same? level as trent or an Axl. You will never hear anyone way say Navarro is one of the best guitarist in the world or ever.

Huh

Kind of like how Ive never seen Trent Reznor called the best singer in the world?

And Navarro is recognized as a great guitarist...in fact, one singer in particular seems to really admire his work... ok ?

Also Robin played in the cirque du soliel, if he sucked, again they would have wanted him.

hihi

A fitting conclusion to a post full of inane weaving and straw-grasping. ?Well done. ?beer
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2004, 01:10:24 AM »

Booker its funny, I edited my post at 6:57 and you posted at 7:03 nice try there bud, but try again. I? am just curious how that can be so? Someone even posted after my edit.? It just goes to show you, you know you are losing this argument and have to do silly stuff like this.? Roll Eyes

And Trent is known as one of the best frontman in the world sorry to break it to? you Booker. You just need to broaden your horizons.?

As for Navarro playing with? Axl. All Navarro did on oh my god was the solo and that was pretty much it. You do know that right?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 01:19:32 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2004, 01:20:22 AM »

Slash and Dave Navvaro are "much easier to work with" than the likes of Axl and Trent.

Huh

So first the point is about working with the "two best rock stars," now its the two most difficult-to-work-with rock stars? ?Hmmm...A "point" that changes this wantonly is certainly not an excellent one.

Lets not compare 2 guitar players, 1 great, 1 overated with two "ego maniacs"....

First, whats with all of the quotation marks? ?Are you facetiously referring to them as ego maniacs (consequetially squashing the point)? ?And if youre not, and you really think theyre ego maniacs, then why put it in quotation?

Second, Ive already addressed your seemingly ever-changing point in the beginning of this post. ?And the both of you are getting really subjective, calling Trent Reznor one of the two best rock stars in the world and Dave Navarro overrated. ?But its all a testament to how silly this "excellent" point is to begin with. ?

And Dave Navarro cant be overrated...Axl chose him to play with GNR, and Axl only chooses the best.

Axl also pushed for Paul Tobias, and we all know hes one of the greats.

BTW Robin is BETTER than Kushner.

hihi

So childish...

Hey, hopefully one day youll actually have material to base that asssertion on.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2004, 01:24:25 AM »

Booker robin plays on the live nin album, i am basing it on that. OH what I cannot do that?
Its ok tho, because once the album comes out people like you won't have that little wise ass remarks about not having an album to base it on.  I know that once it does come out no matter how good it is, you will have an excuse, but its ok we all have come to expect that by now.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2004, 01:28:11 AM »

So first the point is about working with the "two best rock stars," now its the two most difficult-to-work-with rock stars? ?Hmmm...A "point" that changes this wantonly is certainly not an excellent one.
No, the point is that comparing guitar players and lead singers and who each allow into the band is not a good comparison.

First, whats with all of the quotation marks?
What with all the faces Huh Roll Eyes no ok beer

And Dave Navarro cant be overrated...Axl chose him to play with GNR, and Axl only chooses the best.

Even Axl makes mistakes....
Axl also pushed for Paul Tobias, and we all know hes one of the greats.
No he didnt....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: