Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 11:31:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227983 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Worst Albums of 2004
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Albums of 2004  (Read 18843 times)
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2004, 11:10:26 AM »

See, now we have a respected publication bashing Contraband, and some of you still can't take it.? ?Roll Eyes

Sorry, but the best musical and guitar magazines a bit more adequate about this. But I don't give a shit if they think it was bad - it wasn't and that's enough for me. Not a classic album, but still strong.  ok

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2004, 12:12:27 PM »

vr is good, but there are easily 10 or 20 albums far better than contraband that were released this year
AxlGunner
VIP

Ryu says: I am NOT a llama!

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2004, 12:59:03 PM »

See, now we have a respected publication bashing Contraband, and some of you still can't take it.? ?Roll Eyes

the daily news is anything but respected. the person who compared it to the national enquirer isn't far off. they have a good sports section though  peace

punk? hair metal? lol...

now you know me better
SADIS
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2004, 01:10:09 PM »

Well, some people don't base their opinion on what they've read in the magazines. Some actually have an opinion based their own taste....... and now go kick in the open door.

A list that has an album that is based on covers and samples on the no. 1 spot is not to be taken seriously. Kanye West? Has he ever written a tune by himself? All he does is sample old songs......stupid (c)rap music.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2004, 01:12:46 PM »

the daily news is anything but respected. the person who compared it to the national enquirer isn't far off. they have a good sports section though? peace
Yeah.? The Daily News is the best for having the late scores in it.? yes

punk? hair metal? lol...
That caption of this pic should be:
WHEN PUNK & HAIR METAL COLLIDE? hihi

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2004, 01:38:53 PM »

Well, some people don't base their opinion on what they've read in the magazines. Some actually have an opinion based their own taste....... and now go kick in the open door.

This is not about having an opinion, this is about some of you just can't take the fact that some publications do bash Contraband. I was just pointing that out. I don't personally give a fuck about what the Daily News says, it's not gonna have any damaging effect to my opinion regarding Contraband. Contraband is dull and weak...but hey, that was just my opinion.

Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2004, 07:10:18 PM »

Think if Axl sang to the music of VR's"Contraband, would it still be worst album? or dull or week..etc.  Its like listening to the song, wreckless life from GnR w/out Axl. Imagine Scott singing that song. I can't. Something about Contraband, I just can't play it over and over like I wish. 

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2004, 09:31:12 PM »

But it said cheesy hair metal trying to be punk..  That's the problem, not the idea they didn't like it..

Daily news is good for sports n news, not reviewing music..
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2004, 09:33:35 PM »

the daily news is anything but respected. the person who compared it to the national enquirer isn't far off. they have a good sports section though? peace
Yeah.? The Daily News is the best for having the late scores in it.? yes

punk? hair metal? lol...
That caption of this pic should be:
WHEN PUNK & HAIR METAL COLLIDE? hihi

With duff it's like when rambo meets fabio.. rofl
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2004, 09:58:26 PM »

tallarico
Opening Act

Double Talkin Jive get the money mofo cause I got nomo

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2005, 01:56:03 AM »

Man, ...Bottom line......... the guys from guns are the cats ass i totally dig the music.....but some of you act like you would worship Scott even if he made fart noises out of his armpits... Thank you, keep the change........... Shocked
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2005, 06:29:26 AM »

To me, anyone who says Contraband is one of the 10 worst albums is being ridiculous. It is not as good as AFD, but it is a very solid and overall very good album. Especially by today's watered down standards whereby an album might have one or two decent songs and the rest are filler. In my opinion, Contraband has 3-4 top notch rockers, two very good ballads, and the rest are listenable and enjoyable. In total I would say I like 11 of the 13 songs. So it is a very respectable and solid album, certainly not even close to being a top ten bad album.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2005, 10:01:18 AM »

thye do fine by me, I read it every day during my subway ride to work..
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2005, 07:16:46 PM »

I somewhat agree.  For me Contraband was a real let-down.  A barely average rock album from an all-star line-up.  I wouldn't call it one of the worst albums of the year by any means but was definitely expecting a much better musical effort especially considering all the hype that followed 'the project' for over a year.  The album doesn't even come close to 2004's "The System Has Failed" by Megadeth which is basically Dave Mustaine's solo project with the Deth name.  VR sold alot of records but as far as the quality of the music they need Axl alot more than they think.

It's funny how you hear Matt Sorum and Slash bash the ballads Axl wrote and the artistic direction he wanted to take the band before realizing that GN'R's most memorable and still talked about songs are the ballads (with the exception of WTTJ).  I highly doubt anyone (other than the die-hards) will still be discussing "Slither" & "Fall To Pieces" in 5 to 10 years.

Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2005, 10:43:10 PM »

I agree with you Kayoss, your speaking my language.

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
tallarico
Opening Act

Double Talkin Jive get the money mofo cause I got nomo

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2005, 11:30:31 PM »

Yeah man, after I saw the exploitation of the singers they had send in videos and the guys who actually got the physical audition on that Vh1 show and actually made it on that show..................I realized that it was about column space  (newspapers), not chops and that this record wouldn't be that cool. Too bad.....As if Scott WEiland is the best singer in ther the world.........................Muthafucka pleeeeeeeeeze maybe the most pretentious.......what the the fuck does "precipise" mean anyway. I don't care I'm not looking it up.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2005, 09:47:34 PM »

I don't expect everyone to like it. If people remember Gn'R would get voted for worst and best band in readers polls back in the day. What can ya do?Huh It just doesn't make sense to me that an album that is 1.5 times platinum, still selling 50,000 a week 6 months after it' srelease, and two very succesful singles still getting mad airplay is one of the worst  Roll Eyes .  If the album sucked, it would have sold the initial 250,000 copies and copies would have fell of tehg face of the earth...

I am still loving it....

Dufflvr
Opening Act

Yeah, I`m weird...sue me, bitch!

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2005, 02:50:35 PM »

There were FAR WORSE albums than Contraband. Corny 80`s hair metal?!?! Europe is corny 80`s hair metal, not Velvet Revolver.. As for the punk shit, Not one of those guys are acting in anyway punkish.
Leave music reveiwing to the people who acually know what albums are good, and what`s not...

Fell to peices, and I`m still falling. VR fan, proud of it!
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2005, 03:28:12 PM »

Saying Contraband was one of the worst albums of 2004 is a joke.  It is one of the best I have heard in a decade.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2005, 11:47:21 AM »

This is not about having an opinion, this is about some of you just can't take the fact that some publications do bash Contraband.
No, as has been said before, its 'Corny 80s hair metal trying to be punk' that everyone's got a problem with. I mean, how the hell is Dave Kushner hair metal? rofl
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: