Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:14:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Article Axl Rose Suffers with Bipolar Disorder
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Article Axl Rose Suffers with Bipolar Disorder  (Read 22702 times)
anythinggoes
« on: July 08, 2005, 07:00:04 AM »

Abused child becomes angry adult
Heavy metal singer Axl Rose, who was raised as Bill Bailey, describes his childhood in mostly angry terms. He speaks of physical and sexual abuse, of a mother who was never there for him, of a stepfather who whacked him for singing along with Barry Manilow's "Mandy." He talks about singing songs of Elvis in front of the smaller children at recess when he was in third grade. He tells stories of witnessing astonishing things springing from a fervent Pentecostal upbringing, and winning prizes for learning Bible verses, yet being unable to believe anything of what he was taught.

By the age of 16, young Bill had developed into a "full-fledged juvenile delinquent," and was banned from his parents' home. He was jailed many times, though says he was not guilty except for some arrests for underage drinkingAt 17 he learned that the man who had raised him, Stephen Bailey, was not his natural father, and adopted his natural father's surname of Rose. "Axl" was the name of one of his early bands. Pundits have noted that "Axl Rose" is an anagram of "oral sex," which may have appealed to the rebellious young man.

At 18 Axl hitchhiked to Los Angeles to seek his fortune. There he met up with school friend Izzy Stradlin, and over the next several years the two struggled their way toward success, sometimes living on the streets, playing wherever and whenever they could. The band Guns N' Roses, formed in 1985, had enough success to start playing as a lead act for established groups, and eventually made a name for themselves.

Between 1987 and 1991, Axl was arrested several times for assault. At some point he was diagnosed as bipolar and put on lithium; one source says he also underwent anger management therapy. Axl himself has been quoted as saying, "I'm very sensitive and emotional and things upset me and make me feel like not functioning or dealing with people... I went to a clinic, thinking it would help my moods. The only thing I did was to take one 500 question test - ya know, filling in the little black dots. All of a sudden I'm diagnosed manic-depressive. 'Let's put Axl on medication.' Well, the medication doesn't help me deal with the stress. The only thing it does is help keep people off my back because they figure I'm on medication."

It's impossible to say categorically whether Axl Rose is bipolar. Some of his behaviors - explosive anger, alcohol use in youth, substance abuse - could point to this, but could also be signs of post-traumatic stress disorder or other affective disorders. Accounts of his life give information about his childhood that is conflicting at times. Yet certainly he has had a turbulent life, and by all accounts, not a happy one.

Source http://bipolar.about.com/cs/celebs/a/axlrose.htm?nl=1
layne
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 07:10:10 AM »

if you enter axl rose in google, this is the second article coming out.
It's a shit
anythinggoes
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 07:18:19 AM »

if you enter axl rose in google, this is the second article coming out.

and your point being

i dont necessarilly agree with whats written i posted it so people could read it
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 10:36:50 AM »

As a diagnosed BP II, I agree with that article 100%.  I live a very clean and healthy life with my meds because of my condition.  And judging from Axls history, I would safely bet that he is BP.  Also, where that article originated, you can see all of the musicians, writers, and actors that are BP.  It's a gift and a curse. Sad

Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 11:21:25 AM »

well, some people who had happy lifes turn out serial killers and some who were abused turn out EXTREMELY WELL   rant

did i say i loved my shrink ?

I love you martine.

and axl, if you read this, we dont know, but please please give credit to that, that people with a bad start turn out good !!! Be nice.

merci

Nothing to say
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 11:29:35 AM »

What matters for me is the music. Axl is a great artist. I don't care if he is bipolar or not. That's his private life.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 01:14:01 PM »

We have always know that Axl was bi polar, at least I have.  All you have to do is watch Axl and you can tell he is bi polar.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
layne
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 02:07:13 PM »

We have always know that Axl was bi polar, at least I have. All you have to do is watch Axl and you can tell he is bi polar.

why?
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 02:11:28 PM »

We have always know that Axl was bi polar, at least I have. All you have to do is watch Axl and you can tell he is bi polar.

why?

By his mannerisms and his antics over his career.? I have a psych degree so maybe I am better at picking up on that, but you do know what bi polar is right?

IF not read this and tell me this does not sound like Axl.

What Are the Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder?

Bipolar disorder causes dramatic mood swings?from overly "high" and/or irritable to sad and hopeless, and then back again, often with periods of normal mood in between. Severe changes in energy and behavior go along with these changes in mood. The periods of highs and lows are called episodes of mania and depression.

Signs and symptoms of mania (or a manic episode) include:
Increased energy, activity, and restlessness
Excessively "high," overly good, euphoric mood
Extreme irritability
Racing thoughts and talking very fast, jumping from one idea to another
Distractibility, can't concentrate well
Little sleep needed
Unrealistic beliefs in one's abilities and powers
Poor judgment
Spending sprees
A lasting period of behavior that is different from usual
Increased sexual drive
Abuse of drugs, particularly cocaine, alcohol, and sleeping medications
Provocative, intrusive, or aggressive behavior
Denial that anything is wrong
A manic episode is diagnosed if elevated mood occurs with three or more of the other symptoms most of the day, nearly every day, for 1 week or longer. If the mood is irritable, four additional symptoms must be present.

Signs and symptoms of depression (or a depressive episode) include:
Lasting sad, anxious, or empty mood
Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed, including sex
Decreased energy, a feeling of fatigue or of being "slowed down"
Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
Restlessness or irritability
Sleeping too much, or can't sleep
Change in appetite and/or unintended weight loss or gain
Chronic pain or other persistent bodily symptoms that are not caused by physical illness or injury
Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 02:13:46 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »

Do you know how many people this applies to, at least one or two combined symptoms ?  rant

You know why i dislike some people who have psychology degrees ?

Because they generalise and can be full of shit.

Nothing to say
SADIS
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 04:09:24 PM »

why?

By his mannerisms and his antics over his career.? I have a psych degree so maybe I am better at picking up on that, but you do know what bi polar is right?

Bipolar disorder causes dramatic mood swings?from overly "high" and/or irritable to sad and hopeless, and then back again, often with periods of normal mood in between. Severe changes in energy and behavior go along with these changes in mood. The periods of highs and lows are called episodes of mania and depression.

Extreme irritability
Little sleep needed
Poor judgment
Spending sprees
Increased sexual drive
A manic episode is diagnosed if elevated mood occurs with three or more of the other symptoms most of the day, nearly every day, for 1 week or longer. If the mood is irritable, four additional symptoms must be present.

Chronic pain or other persistent bodily symptoms that are not caused by physical illness or injury

Excuse me but this doesn't prove shit to me. I don't necissarily see the comparisons with Axl. Because I have never met the guy, just like you haven't. And actually he always came across pretty relaxed to me. Yeah, he has some issues with people treating him (or people he cares about) unfair. But so do I. Actually if there was one thing I can think of that would apply to Axl would be that he is highly-gifted. With an IQ over 130. The image that I see is of someone who has a very high IQ. Creative people with a high IQ always suffer extreme misunderstanding wit "normal" people. And that could make that they totally withdraw from normal life since no one ever seems to be understanding them and they set such high standards for themselves, too high.

But like I said before, I don;t know the guy. And the fact that everyone writes that he comes across very unhappy. I've never seen that, he seems to be struggleling through life, but he's not the only one so that ain't that special. He's just a regular guy living his life.....nothing special. But the difference is that he is in Guns N Roses.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 04:22:18 PM »

I think Axl could have a few more emotional problems than Bi- Polar. I think there is also some psychosis involved.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 04:44:08 PM »

Jessica, you're correct, those symptoms can be found in a lot of us but for people with this disorder these symptoms are so severe that it interferes with their ability to function on a daily basis, or in this case make an album.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 05:26:58 PM »

He speaks of physical and sexual abuse....................

Axl himself has been quoted as saying, "I'm very sensitive and emotional and things upset me and make me feel like not functioning or dealing with people... I went to a clinic, thinking it would help my moods. The only thing I did was to take one 500 question test - ya know, filling in the little black dots. All of a sudden I'm diagnosed manic-depressive. 'Let's put Axl on medication.' Well, the medication doesn't help me deal with the stress. The only thing it does is help keep people off my back because they figure I'm on medication."

By the sound of it, Axl himself doesn't believe the diagnosis, does he? Roll Eyes
He seems very sceptical about psycho-test thingy.

IMO, He should have been sceptical about regression therapy furthermore.
Reportedly, hypnotics got similar new "past" memories from those therapies at the time.
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 06:08:35 PM »

why?

Extreme irritability
Little sleep needed
Poor judgment
Spending sprees
Increased sexual drive

God that is such psychobabble bullshit, I have a good 90 percent of those symptoms it doesnt make me bipolar it js makes me human. Alot of ppl behave that way otherwise we'd be fucking zombies.

But as for Axl I think the stress js got to him and he felt like the world was out to get him thats why he lashed out so harshly. But who gives a fuck he was and still is brilliant  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 06:33:49 PM »

Jessica, you're correct, those symptoms can be found in a lot of us but for people with this disorder these symptoms are so severe that it interferes with their ability to function on a daily basis, or in this case make an album.

well, dad was a bipolar and funnily enough, it didn't interfere with work because work was his only life passion.

It usually interfered with people AT work, but not ON his work, he was a perfectionnist and always did it really well and was praised for it.

My dad, when in a crisis, would need the cops, or a neighbour, or to drive mum to the hospital an hour later, have you heard anything about axl ?

I haven't.

Nothing to say
Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 06:35:15 PM »

He speaks of physical and sexual abuse....................

Axl himself has been quoted as saying, "I'm very sensitive and emotional and things upset me and make me feel like not functioning or dealing with people... I went to a clinic, thinking it would help my moods. The only thing I did was to take one 500 question test - ya know, filling in the little black dots. All of a sudden I'm diagnosed manic-depressive. 'Let's put Axl on medication.' Well, the medication doesn't help me deal with the stress. The only thing it does is help keep people off my back because they figure I'm on medication."

By the sound of it, Axl himself doesn't believe the diagnosis, does he? Roll Eyes
He seems very sceptical about psycho-test thingy.

IMO, He should have been sceptical about regression therapy furthermore.
Reportedly, hypnotics got similar new "past" memories from those therapies at the time.

Hpnosis helped me with childhood and weight, don't knock it, please. It's used in hospitals here. They treat children with it, and people with severe mental problems.

Thanks.

Nothing to say
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 07:16:42 PM »

Read my post carefully, Mademoiselle.

I've read a book about the study on the fad of ufo n new age stuff, of late '90s America.
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 08:10:42 PM »

I have to agree, these people don't have the ability to cope with life because what we would consider any number of those symptoms to be in each one of us, in these people it's magnified more than we could imagine to the point of a problem.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2005, 08:44:03 PM »

What matters for me is the music. Axl is a great artist. I don't care if he is bipolar or not. That's his private life.

i have the same opinoin. if he wants to be a drug-addicted asshole let him. its the music that counts

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: