Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:20:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228064 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When did GnR go from all about music to all about money?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: When did GnR go from all about music to all about money?  (Read 11465 times)
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 08:37:55 AM »

i think axl moved a lot on. the most important point is that he changed his style, unlike slash and duff who look exactly the same like 20 years ago, so that they can milk their old image and glory.

if axl would want to live from his old popularity, i think he wouldn?t have braids nor would he be wearing jerseys.  i think if slash and duff had the change to be in gnr again with axl they would definitely use it to make money.

and if axl was in gnr for the money, i think we`d have 3 chinese democracys by now...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 11:03:16 AM »

Playing Guns N' Roses songs when there's only one or two original members of GN'R in the band is wrong.

1.) One or two?? Are you not sure if either Slash or Duff are in the band?? Two is double the original members in the current GNR.? And Matt was a member for about 6 years.

2.) Theyre cover songs for VR.? They cover a lot of songs, and the fact that they co-wrote the songs and still retain rights over them only validates their choice of playing them.?
Turn your sarcasm filter on and reread Wink

Why d'ya think I said one or two?
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 11:08:20 AM »

i think axl moved a lot on. the most important point is that he changed his style, unlike slash and duff who look exactly the same like 20 years ago, so that they can milk their old image and glory.

Thats just idiotic grasping for straws. Sorry.

Another way to spin that would be to say that Axl is updating his look in a desperate move to look 'cool' and 'modern' to the new generation of kids buying records. And it isn't working.
WARose
Legend

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 11:23:04 AM »

Thats just idiotic grasping for straws. Sorry.

Another way to spin that would be to say that Axl is updating his look in a desperate move to look 'cool' and 'modern' to the new generation of kids buying records. And it isn't working.

well   your opinion dude....      axl is wearing jerseys because he thinks they`re cool...    and that`s not the main point why i think axl moved forward, but it`s a point stating that he`s not milking his old image like those other has-beens do.       by the way i like the jerseys ok

and why isn`t it working?

i don`t think that there`s a record, that could be bought anyway, to prove if he`s "cool enough" to be popular again...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 12:35:18 PM »

Rumour has it that during the promotion trip for contra S n D talked a lot about their plans for releasing videos of old GN'R shows. Some people concerned even claimed S n D to have promised November 05 release.

->then, that GH sold far stronger than expected. Yeah GN'R makes moni.
->and then they brought the suit to gain the control over the GN'R catalogue.

Who's trying to milk the ship they abandoned and who's stubbornly rejecting it?

Go figure.

I'm not saying it's wrong.
But to say GN'R is all about money is wrong.
For Capt. A, it's not. I can safely assume this.
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 01:01:13 PM »

well? ?your opinion dude....? ? ? axl is wearing jerseys because he thinks they`re cool...? ? and that`s not the main point why i think axl moved forward, but it`s a point stating that he`s not milking his old image like those other has-beens do.? ? ? ?by the way i like the jerseys ok

i don`t think that there`s a record, that could be bought anyway, to prove if he`s "cool enough" to be popular again...

How can you call Slash and Duff has-beens??? I guess you're one of the sheep that believe they have to choose? Old or New?? It's totally rubbish.? The reason we are all here is because of the music made by those who made Appetite/Lies/Illusions .  And the excitment of all those guys  making new music.

S + D? are still making records, what you think of the music is a matter of your opinion. But they are far too busy and appearing in too many places, selling millions of records and u call them them has-beens?

Duff looks very different these days, go and check some of the pics circa '93 to remind yourself.? And as far as Slash goes... well he still looks cool as, he is a legend.? Axl hasn't changed that much, not in a Bowie sense of the word change.? He just looks older becasue we hadn't seen him for 10 years lol.

Anyway back on topic,? I think during the time when Axl wanted Izzy to take? a smaller cut of the money, because he didn't move enough on-stage. That's probably the start of the money over the band issues.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 01:05:33 PM by St.heathen » Logged

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2005, 01:06:47 PM »

Playing Guns N' Roses songs when there's only one or two original members of GN'R in the band is wrong.

1.) One or two?? Are you not sure if either Slash or Duff are in the band?? Two is double the original members in the current GNR.? And Matt was a member for about 6 years.

2.) Theyre cover songs for VR.? They cover a lot of songs, and the fact that they co-wrote the songs and still retain rights over them only validates their choice of playing them.?
Turn your sarcasm filter on and reread Wink

Why d'ya think I said one or two?

Embarrassed

My apologies...But check out this thread.  Theres actually folks who believe what you wrote.  no
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 01:52:32 PM »

I don't see how any of you can criticize Axl for tying to get money off AFD and publishing rights.  If I'm not mistaken (I might be), Axl has spent millions of his own money of CD and it's follow ups.  I'm sure he lives very comfortably but given that he's using most of the money he makes off his old music to finance his new music is admirable.  I admire his conviction in releasing an album he views as perfect and the amount of time and his own money he's dedicated to it.  I haven't seen any of the other G'NR members dedicate so much of themselves to a project, so it's easier to view that Slash and Duff are more in it for the money.

/Ben

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 02:00:25 PM »

I don't see how any of you can criticize Axl for tying to get money off AFD and publishing rights.?

Im actually not.  But Im trying to explain how silly it is to criticize Slash and Duff for essentially the same thing while pretending that Axl doesnt, or that hes "moved on" more.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 02:14:26 PM »

Rumour has it that during the promotion trip for contra S n D talked a lot about their plans for releasing videos of old GN'R shows.

So is that what you base opinions on?  Unfounded rumors?

Actually, Duff commented that he would like to release some GNR footage someday.  I think he mentioned it once.  And I cant recall any mention of a possible release date.  So I think its unwise of you to perpetuate that rumor.

Who's trying to milk the ship they abandoned and who's stubbornly rejecting it?

Who joined Axl in "rejecting" the Greatest Hits?  ok

Go figure.

If only more of your assumptions were as safe...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005, 02:19:57 PM »

Since the captain remains in the ship, And they remain only in the partnership. Wink

well   your opinion dude....      axl is wearing jerseys because he thinks they`re cool...    and that`s not the main point why i think axl moved forward, but it`s a point stating that he`s not milking his old image like those other has-beens do.       by the way i like the jerseys ok

How can you call Slash and Duff has-beens??  I guess you're one of the sheep that believe they have to choose  Old or New?  It's totally rubbish.  The reason we are all here is because of the music made by those who made Appetite/Lies/Illusions .  And the excitment of all those guys  making new music.......and u call them them has-beens?

Why you think he calls them has beens? are "those other has-beens" necessarily S and D?
I think Warose means the has-beens in general. Maybe it includes even Axl? I don't know. (never mind) hihi
I agree that Old vs New talk in the GN'R section is nonsense and nuisance because many of us are here to hear n discuss the news and look at the future n the present more than the past.

Axl hasn't changed that much, not in a Bowie sense of the word change.  He just looks older becasue we hadn't seen him for 10 years lol.

Some say otherwise. Can you tell them next time? hihi
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005, 02:44:20 PM »

Why you think he calls them has beens? are "those other has-beens" necessarily S and D?
I think Warose means the has-beens in general. Maybe it includes even Axl? I don't know. (never mind) hihi
I agree that Old vs New talk in the GN'R section is nonsense and nuisance because many of us are here to hear n discuss the news and look at the future n the present more than the past.

Axl hasn't changed that much, not in a Bowie sense of the word change.? He just looks older becasue we hadn't seen him for 10 years lol.

lol You just remind me and I will tell them straight? hihi.? But seriously, from long straight hair to long braided hair, added weight/size and some new clothes, doesn't really make much of a change -, as was suggested does it? lol peace

WARose
Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2005, 02:55:16 PM »

well, i didn`t mean necessarily slash and duff.

i think in SOME point of view all gnr members are has -beens (axl included)
what i wanted to say is that i think slash didn`t really move on. ( he actually did, as he has family and so on...) but he tries to have the same look as he had 15 years ago, because he knows that he can make money out of it. ? and axl doesn`t really care what his fans want. (that`s not necessarily positive...) but he doesn`t fake it and i think that`s cool.

i think the main point in the split of gnr was that axl moved on with his musical idea of what gnr should be and slash wanted to continue the ?old way. ( there were personal problems, too ?AND I DON`T KNOW SHIT WHAT HAPPEND)

by the way i`m not one of the so-called "sheeps" Roll Eyes

i`m a fan of gnr both old and new, but i have faith in the new gnr, whereas i don`t like velvet revolver that much, because of their "great" singer.

WARose
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2005, 02:58:37 PM »

Axl hasn't changed that much, not in a Bowie sense of the word change.? He just looks older becasue we hadn't seen him for 10 years lol.

lol You just remind me and I will tell them straight? hihi.? But seriously, from long straight hair to long braided hair, added weight/size and some new clothes, doesn't really make much of a change -, as was suggested does it? lol peace

well   i`m not sure what i wrote, but i think i wrote that it`s ONE aspect.
and if you want to be popular it`s a very important aspect (the look).

i think if axl would look exactly like he did in 93 the whole situation was a lot easier for him, as it`s now.  (good old axl and shit....)

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2005, 03:11:28 PM »

but he tries to have the same look as he had 15 years ago, because he knows that he can make money out of it. ?

What do you mean by the same look?  And do you think its possible that thats genuinely what he likes?    On what do you base the "doing it for the money" assumption, and what do you think he should change?
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2005, 03:22:09 PM »

I really seriously don't see Slash or any member of GN'R worrying about what people think of the way they dress or look. ?

And definatly don't see it as a marketing scam, that's a very negative/cynical thing to presume. Have you thought that maybe he is just comfortable? ?He's a very cool guy inspired millions to pick up the guitar. ?If he shaved off his hair tomorrow my opinion of him wouldn't change.

Look at Lemmy or Angus Young or Brian May they haven't changed their appearence much either, truth is not many people do. Unless nature takes it''s toll and they get fat or bald ect but that happens (or will) to all of us.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005, 03:41:40 PM »

Well i guess basically Slash is too lazy to mind/change his look...

Rumour has it that during the promotion trip for contra S n D talked a lot about their plans for releasing videos of old GN'R shows.

So is that what you base opinions on?  Unfounded rumors?

Actually, Duff commented that he would like to release some GNR footage someday.  I think he mentioned it once.  And I cant recall any mention of a possible release date.  So I think its unwise of you to perpetuate that rumor.

I'm not one of those who'd believe, lets alone spread, any rootless story
but Ok,
don't trust me, it's true. ok

Who joined Axl in "rejecting" the Greatest Hits?  ok
see the order of the events.
1 S n D wanting to release DVD of old footage
2 GH suit
3 GH hits expectedly.
4 their claim for the control over GN'R catalogue

at that point (2) it wasn't expected to go platinums.
besides It has a hell lot of covers. that means far little royalities than a selection of more originals would bring them.
So the interests of both side met.

BTW, Why was the action so late?

If only more of your assumptions were as safe...

Coming events cast their shadows before them. ok
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 03:44:59 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2005, 03:55:05 PM »

Well i guess basically Slash is too lazy to mind/change his look...

The attempted cleverness returns...I guess it worked really well in the other thread?? hihi

I'm not one of those who'd believe, lets alone spread, any rootless story
but Ok,
don't trust me, it's true. ok

Okay, so back it up.? What did Duff say and where did he say it?

see the order of the events.
1 S n D wanting to release DVD of old footage
2 GH suit
3 GH hits expectedly.
4 their claim for the control over GN'R catalogue

at that point (2) it wasn't expected to go platinums.
besides It has a hell lot of covers. that means far little royalities than a selection of more originals would bring them.
So the interests of both side met.

BTW, Why was the action so late?

Thats for the lawsuit thread.? But again, youre doing a whole lot of speculating...On what do you base the "covers" theory?? Did they ever say that?? Was it in the suit?? I dont recall seeing it, so you can refresh my memory.

And your point, if Im not mistaken (the language barrier isnt helping) is that Axl rejected the Greatest Hits while Slash and Duff are "milking it."  If you werent talking about Axl rejecting GHs, what were you talking about?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 03:58:30 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2005, 04:38:48 PM »

Booker 1 - 0 Dave

Only in your warped little mind.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2005, 05:25:04 PM »

So Slash has to change his look to gain attention or make his music ability any more credible?  Personally I would commend someone for being themselves and not changing their perception to sell albums (not that I think Axl is doing that.)  Slash and Duff have just as much of a right to be proud and take credit for the past albums as Axl.  Generally Slash and Duff play It's So Easy ( a song written almost entirely by Duff) and Mr. Brownstone at the VR shows.  Neither of which are famous GNR songs or even ON THE GREATEST HITS.  So only real GN'R fans are going to know these songs and associate them with the GN'R who wrote them, 2/5 being Slash and Duff. 

Granted Slash and Duff have left Guns N' Roses so they have no input on future material, but from their point of view as stated in their legal argument, the entire partnership ended and Axl just retained the name.  To my knowledge, they never gave up their rights to GN'R material, but took the high road because they wanted to move on and realized they couldn't have promising careers living off the name.  Never once on stage have Slash or Duff pointed at Axl directly, although the Halloween concert could be conceived as such.  I'm not against Axl in anyway, I'm a huge fan and love the material thus far presented.  But if you're going to make an argument about who's milking the old band and who's moved on, it's a one sided argument.  Every other member of Gn'R has released multiple albums and Axl has only given us Oh My God.  When Chinese Democracy comes out, I believe it will be better than the combined efforts of all the other band members follow up efforts, but this is my opinion.

Dave, I respect your post and agree that you know alot, but I think you're wrong on this one.  I love all of the trio, but like you, Axl is my favorite.  However, only Axl has had any say on making money off the GnR name and catalogue.  So to insinuate that Slash and Duff are the money grubbers is misguided IMO.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: