Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 10:15:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227983 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Running
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Running  (Read 57451 times)
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2006, 10:01:18 AM »

are you back in bussiness or are you just passing by. We all here have missed you? Embarrassed

Awww!!!  Thanks!  Grin  I think I am back in buisness baby!!!  Grin  This is like my *tear* second home.

OH I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!  Cheesy Grin

How have things been without me?  Not too dull I hope?

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2006, 10:04:55 AM »

Well to sum up the server crash, we couldnt get into for a few days, i was elected gunner of the month of march and now evo is the gunner of the month of april.

Oh i forgot I drop 10lbs  Grin
SO was up with you?

No man can be my equal
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2006, 10:10:14 AM »

Well to sum up the server crash, we couldnt get into for a few days, i was elected gunner of the month of march and now evo is the gunner of the month of april.

Oh i forgot I drop 10lbs? Grin
SO was up with you?

Im going to send you a PM... I know everyone has missed me, but the mods always kind of hated me anyway... Smiley

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2006, 10:10:58 AM »

Ahh!! who are the mods to hate you, anyway?  Kiss

No man can be my equal
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2006, 05:33:33 PM »

I love to run. I loved track and cross country very much in hs and college. if it was not for my great job I would be running track right now in college.  Sad 

So does anyone run in races like 5k or anything? Also is anyone in any running clubs? 

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2006, 08:51:22 PM »

I have been concentrating the last few weeks on getting my 3 mile time down.

Keep in mind I weigh right now 212 pounds

first time 3 weeks ago i ran it in 31 minutes
Last week I got it in 28:36

Today I ran it in 27:36

My short term goal is to get it in 25 minutes my ultimate goal would be under 20 *which I dont see happening*

its cool cause 5 years ago I use to run for distance all the time and it was so relaxing and would make u feel so great about yourself after u finished.

I lost track for awhile and got into heavy weightlifting Elliptical machines etc.

It feels great to be back to running.

The most Ive ran since Ive been back has been 5 miles.

I wasnt tired or anything afterwards so i believe I could break double digits.

Im gonna try it soon.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2006, 11:28:48 AM »

Question, beer gets you more inflated than any other alcohol? cause I've seen that when I drink beer my belly gets big but when I drink vodka or whisky nothing happen.

No man can be my equal
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2006, 06:08:35 PM »

Did my three mile in 25:31.

2 minutes fewer in just under 2 weeks.

I am dramatically dropping it each week.

I did my 5 mile in 46:42, Id like to eventually get it under 40 minutes.

I dropped my three mile time down to 24:53
My 4 mile time is at 34:46
and my 5 mile time is now down to 43:30
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 06:10:04 PM by D? » Logged

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2006, 08:13:33 PM »

Good work D.  Give yourself some days where you don't push extra hard.  Over time your body will thank you, and your running times will get lower and lower.   ok

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2006, 11:56:53 PM »

Im starting to learn that.

I subscribed to Runner's World Magazine and they have a special this week that teaches an average person to get in marathon shape.

So ive been following it and so far so good.

I cant imagine ever being able to run one but that is my ultimate goal.

Ive been paying extra special attention to working out my legs also in the weight room.

Im kinda weird though, Seems Im a better Treadmill runner than I am an outside runner.

Usually for most people thats reversed.

On a treadmill its easier for me to focus and keep my pace whereas outside Im never quite sure how fast or slow Im going.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2006, 06:10:53 PM »

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2006, 06:25:26 PM »

Cool man.  You said earlier your weight was at 212.  Where's it at now?  How tall are you?  Since I'm asking, I'll give mine out.  I'm 6' 3" 184 pounds.  About 5 years ago just finishing up school, the stress took me up to 208 at one time.  Chubby and out of shape doesn't feel as good.   Smiley

I ran/swam my 1st biathlon earlier this month and a 5K since.  The whole "run slowly" keeping my heart rate below 155bpm has worked great.  In 2004 I ran my 1st 5K and had a 22:40.  July 15th, on a very hot and humid morning, I posted a 20:15 at a local race.  Smiley
(of course, the heart rate stuff is for training only)  My goal for the race was to bust 21.  D, you'll hit your goals as long as you keep working on it.  Stretch regularly, stay hydrated, eat well, give yourself a day off between runs, and there will be no stoppin' ya!

Quick question to all:  Do you listen to, or sing in your head when running?  WTTJ was a great psych-up song for my 5K, and I had Better and IRS in my head during the run.  love

PS:  If GNR management is reading...could we please get some GNR running merchandise?  I don't know the name of the material, but damn, I'd love to run in some GNR clothing.  peace 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2006, 07:06:59 PM »

I am now down to 208, I am 5'8 probably about 15 percent body fat, U can see my 4 pack really well and Ive been bodybuilding with weights for over 6 years.

I run with my MP3 player.

GNR is always great, A song by Eminem "mosh" which my fav fighter Tito Ortiz comes to the ring with is also a great song to run to. totally fires me up.

Here the last few days my hamstrings have been sore and my legs just dont feel Powerful....... Do u think I need a day off or two??

Ive been runnin 15 to 20 miles a week but I feel a little burnt out.

I worry all the time, I dont know if anyone else does, but Like If I run 5 miles in 43:30 today, tomorrow Ill worry that for some reason I wont be able to do it again.

u ever experience that? What can u do to get over the mind doubts?

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2006, 08:28:23 PM »

I am now down to 208, I am 5'8 probably about 15 percent body fat, U can see my 4 pack really well and Ive been bodybuilding with weights for over 6 years.

I run with my MP3 player.

GNR is always great, A song by Eminem "mosh" which my fav fighter Tito Ortiz comes to the ring with is also a great song to run to. totally fires me up.

Here the last few days my hamstrings have been sore and my legs just dont feel Powerful....... Do u think I need a day off or two??

Ive been runnin 15 to 20 miles a week but I feel a little burnt out.

I worry all the time, I dont know if anyone else does, but Like If I run 5 miles in 43:30 today, tomorrow Ill worry that for some reason I wont be able to do it again.

u ever experience that? What can u do to get over the mind doubts?

D, listen to your body when it comes to "burn-out."  But, if you are using good form with your stretching, keep it up on those days off.  Hammies are very important to keep stretched as Randy Moss could attest to.  Smiley  Also, stay hydrated.  By the time you are thirsty, you're already dehydrated.  Also remember, testosterone works against us.  That hormone that gives us a competitive edge and gives us that extra edge in athletics can work against us as well.  It can make you push for a faster time every single damn time you run.  This doesn't work in the long-term.  You'll burn out fast.  The majority of your runs should just be easy and make you work on form.  You'll build your "aerobic engine."  Once you have this, you'll be able to run your 3 miles just as fast at the end as you do in the beginning.  I'm a stat nazi, I record everything.  Don't get caught up in the right here right now.  Look at the long-term.  Make a chart.  Just keep choppin' wood!  Hell, we're GNR fans, if anyone knows about patience!  rofl 

5'8" 208, 15% body-fat, I wouldn't want to run into you in a dark alley! 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2006, 02:32:45 AM »

Thanks for the advice.

U hit the nail right on the head with me.

I dont know when to let up.

Today I set a new personal best in my 3 mile run.

i shaved it from 24:53 down to 24:05 today.

I am stronger on my last mile than my first which is cool

My times were:

mile 1: 8:15
mile 2:8:15
mile 3:7:35

my goal right now is to run a mile under 7 minutes.

whats the fastest u ever ran a mile?

Those are some kick ass 5k times. If I could ever get down to that Id be floating on cloud nine. Have u ever thought of running a marathon? I would love to do that someday.

when u say run slow and work on form, what are u talkin? maybe 10 minute mile pace? how far should u run on easy days??

Slower pace more miles?? or same miles just slower?

Thanks for the stretching tip as well, on days off I havent been stretching but I will from now on.

I bought a kick ass pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, I got some New Balance 1000's.

They had some cheaper ones, I think a number in the 300s for 60 bucks but I tried on the 1000s afterwards and fell in love.

they were 110 bucks but they have been worth every single penny. Before i bought them My Achilles tendon would throb and just kill me. My right knee was giving me trouble but since I bought the shoes I am virtually pain free.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:39:42 AM by D? » Logged

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2006, 02:55:49 AM »

Yeah I run, and it really gives me a great feeling Cool But my iPod is broken right now, so I haven't ran for a week or something.. weird hihi

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2006, 06:47:09 PM »

Today I set a new personal best in my 3 mile run.

i shaved it from 24:53 down to 24:05 today.

I am stronger on my last mile than my first which is cool

My times were:

mile 1: 8:15
mile 2:8:15
mile 3:7:35

my goal right now is to run a mile under 7 minutes.

whats the fastest u ever ran a mile?

Those are some kick ass 5k times. If I could ever get down to that Id be floating on cloud nine. Have u ever thought of running a marathon? I would love to do that someday.

when u say run slow and work on form, what are u talkin? maybe 10 minute mile pace? how far should u run on easy days??

Slower pace more miles?? or same miles just slower?

Thanks for the stretching tip as well, on days off I havent been stretching but I will from now on.

D, congrats on the times.  That's great stuff.  Glad to hear you'll be stretching more!  I'll even do it at work in between tasks. 

My fastest mile, boy I don't know really.  I measured my neighborhood loop twice, and it came out to be 1.45 miles.  I do all my runs in 1.45 miles or multiples thereof...2.9, 4.35, 5.8. 
My fastest 1.45 mile time was 9:02.  That's 6:16/mile.   

I very rarely do the same run.  For the most part when I'm doing a "slow" (that term is subjective of course) run, I bow to my heart rate monitor.  It's a Polar brand basic model.  Mine is a FS1.  I got it as a gift earlier this year.  I think they can be picked up for less than $50.  I'm tech. challenged, but a monkey could run it, so I'm alright!  For my age, if I keep my heart rate around 150, I'm still in the aerobic range.  (I'm 32).  The benefit to this workout is that you don't go "anaerobic."  Anaerobic activities will tire you out really fast.  You'll have longer recovery times and be more prone to injury.  Every person's speed will be different at any given heart rate.

I don't mean to talk your ears off, but if it can help, I'm happy.  When it came to that 5k, I took 2 days off b4, and 3 days off after from running.  Plenty o' stretching and drinking water. 
That's just because it was a race where I just ran my fucking ass off in.  First mile was 6:15, 2nd mile 6:53, and last 1.11 miles was a 6:28 per mile pace.  Damn that was a humid morning too!  With my wife and 2 kids there, I felt like Superman!

A co-worker of mine has been doing competitive triathlon stuff.  He's trying to qualify for the Hawaiian Ironman race...the one on tv.  He did the Arizona Ironman race earlier this year.  In just over 12 hours he swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles, and ran 26.2 miles (a marathon!).
He said I couldn't even do a half-ironman (half the distances of the regular).  I've signed up for a Sprint Triathlon, which I mentioned in another thread in Fun N Games.  That'll be in October.  It's short (.25 mile swim, 16 mile bike and a 5k)...but it's a start.  When someone says I can't, there's no better motivation.   beer   I did a "slow" 5.8 mile run 2 days ago in 50:30, and a 10-lap 14.5 mile mountain bike ride yesterday around the neighborhood in 58:13.  I'm tired today, and I'm resting (with the exception of an hour-long push-mower mowing of the grass!)

Quick marathon story.  In '02, while still waiting for Chinese Democracy like the lunatic I am, me and my wife were training for the Philadelphia marathon about an hour and 15 minutes north of here.  Anywhoo, long story short, I foolishly decided to run 3 days in a row in 100+ heat index weather that June...I injured my knee, and couldn't run more than 20 yards without pain.  Within 2 months we switched gears and decided to have our first baby.   love
The best injury I ever had!!!

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2006, 11:44:45 PM »

That heart monitor sounds cool, Im gonna have to check it out when I get some spare cash

Triathalon's dont seem like my thing, The running and biking would be cool but Im not the greatest swimmer in the world.

maybe once I get out of the 200 pound range I could look into something like that but right now I am a pretty crappy swimmer...

The one you are doing sounds intriguing though, I could handle a .25 mile swim.

When u run a 5k do u just race to finish or do u try and win?

Thats my problem, to me its pointless for me cause I know id have no chance at victory, so what do u do? run one and then run the next one and just keep tryin to beat your previous times?

U have to keep me posted on that Sprint Triathalon. Good luck with that.

Cool how your injury led to the birth of your child, way to turn a negative into a positive! ok

Some day I am gonna run a marathon, like i said though, I gotta wait till I can get my weight down to at least the 180's.

I ran 7 miles yesterday in 65 minutes. I took today off as my legs were sore as hell, I stretched really well though.

slow 5.8 miles in 50 minutes!!! hihi hihi Rub in your superiority to me. hihi hihi although I did do my 6 mile in 54:30. My 7th mile was slow though as I was pretty wore down.

This week my goal is to add some hill runs into my routine. Thats gonna be rough.

Do u workout with weights for your legs??

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2006, 09:11:29 AM »

When u run a 5k do u just race to finish or do u try and win?

Thats my problem, to me its pointless for me cause I know id have no chance at victory, so what do u do? run one and then run the next one and just keep tryin to beat your previous times?

Don't worry about what everyone else does.  It's like golf in that way.  It's just you against yourself out there.  Personally, I set a goal for myself.  In 2003 or 4 when I ran my 1st 5k, I was coming off a knee injury in which I could safely use an elliptical trainer (low-impact exercise) for training.  I ran my friggin ass as hard as I could, and got a 22:40.  I could barely walk for a week!!!  I had to go up and down stairs with 2 hands on the rail it was so bad!!  My goal for this race, already knowing some practice times, was to break 21 minutes.  Mission accomplished!  After the 20:15, my obvious next goal is to break 20.   

Do u workout with weights for your legs??

I should, but I don't.   Sad

D, please don't think I'm rubbin it in with times, I'm sure you were joking.  Smiley  I was just trying to illustrate how anyone can improve their times with the right means and effort.
 peace

Triathalon's dont seem like my thing, The running and biking would be cool but Im not the greatest swimmer in the world.

In October, a buddy of mine who is 6'5" tall and 265 pounds, self-admittedly not in the best shape, will be doing a sprint triathlon with me in October.  .25 mile swim, 16 mile bike, and 3.11 mile run.  If your form isn't good, the swim is tougher than it sounds.  It will be an ocean swim for us.  But anyhow, the point is, anyone can do it if they put their mind to it. 
I got into a lap-swimming pool for the 1st time in my life in February this year.  I could go down and back once (50 yards) before becoming winded and/or feeling like I was going to drown!  4 or 5 months later after going once or twice a week, I am able to swim 19 laps in a row without stopping.  Smiley  This allowed me to do the run/swim biathlon at the ocean.  As you get older (like me!) you'll find yourself wanting to challenge yourself in different ways.  It's pretty cool, and the sense of accomplishment is insane.   Smiley

I wish you and anyone else here reading this the best of luck in their endeavors!!!  If you only live once, make the most of it! 

P.S.  adding hills in, now that's awesome!  I'm jealous.  I live in Delaware which is flat as a pancake!!   

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2006, 02:09:10 PM »

I was only jokin with the times hihi

U just give me something to shoot for. I dont have any friends here or anyone to run or workout with so Im using your times to help stop me from getting complacent and satisfied.

In a lap swim 50 yard pool, I had at one time built up where I could do 10 laps. I havent swam in months though but Im sure I could build myself back up.

I need to learn better form though. so thats something for me to work on.

Can u help me out with some conversions???

I never ran track and Im not up to snuff with a lot of the running terms just yet.

If u are suppose to run 800 meters... how far in miles is that? a quarter of a mile??

How bout 100 meters?

Im following a chart I got in Runner World's Magazine that helps people get in shape for marathons and I want to be exactly sure how far Im suppose to go on each interval run.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: