Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 10:05:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228032 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  Threads dragged off topic by the same old shit!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Threads dragged off topic by the same old shit!  (Read 9299 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« on: May 04, 2006, 11:40:07 AM »

From the GnR/Stones thread

Oh shut up already. It has absolutely nothing to do with these shows.

Yet some of you need to bring the whole "Axl ruined the band" thing into the threads.

Great to see more European dates. Seems like this "test tour", as some put it, is getting longer and longer.

/jarmo

You know....every time threads get DRAGGED way off topic to talk about Axl ruining the old band, and all that crap that goes with it, I wanna commit harey carey.? And, even worse, it seems to be the same people doing it, time after time.?

And what ends up happening (witness the initial "Brain performing on the 12th" thread) is good threads get locked.

I say, instead of locking threads, you temp ban the people doing it.? Take their posting priviledges away for 24 hours.

It gets really annoying to have a good thread become a disjointed mess.? It becomes really annoying when a good thread, like the Brain thread, gets derailed for 2 pages of nonsense and THEN we have to start a new thread in order to both dicuss the issue further AND pass along new info.? It becomes really annoying that people can't confine discussion to the topics they belong in.? I can understand some threads wandering off topic a bit....but when someone hijacks them and starts the same discussion that's taking place in 4, 5, 10, 100 different threads....well, did I say it gets really annoying yet?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
badapple81
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:45:26 AM »

Unfortunately every thread concerning a show or news seems to get polluted and hijacked with "bummer Slash won't be playing" or "I'm not as excited cos Slash and Duff don't be there".

You would think people would have come to terms with that by now? hihi
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:47:25 AM by GunnerDownUnder » Logged
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:13:07 PM »

24 hours isn't gonna accomplish much. 1 week is about right. A one week suspension for people who break the rules.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:41:01 PM »

Wow!  A whole thread started in the admin forum about lil old me. Tongue

Pilferk, relax.  It was a convo that got out of hand.  I've been here for over 3 years, and I'm not one of these posters you say that continually bring this issue up.

Again, I apologize.  But even though you had the respect to not mention my name, don't you dare lump me in with all of these posters who continually break the rules.

Thanks.

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 02:47:40 PM »

... Well. Two and a half.

(Just under that, even)

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 02:49:20 PM »

Wow!? A whole thread started in the admin forum about lil old me. Tongue

Pilferk, relax.? It was a convo that got out of hand.? I've been here for over 3 years, and I'm not one of these posters you say that continually bring this issue up.

Again, I apologize.? But even though you had the respect to not mention my name, don't you dare lump me in with all of these posters who continually break the rules.

Thanks.

Actually, it's not just about you.

You were the straw that broke the camels back.

It happens more and more frequently.  And it seems to be the same batch of posters over and over again.

Together again,
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 02:55:03 PM »

Wow!? A whole thread started in the admin forum about lil old me. Tongue

Pilferk, relax.? It was a convo that got out of hand.? I've been here for over 3 years, and I'm not one of these posters you say that continually bring this issue up.

Again, I apologize.? But even though you had the respect to not mention my name, don't you dare lump me in with all of these posters who continually break the rules.

Thanks.

You were the straw that broke the camels back.

Stop!? You're making me blush!

Trust me.? I have a huge respect for this board.? That was why on my last post on that thread I said I was dropping it.

Again, my apologies.?

But I think this issue unfortunatley hasn't reached its peak.? Wait until CD is released. Undecided

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 02:55:35 PM »

lol...I helped Thorazine.... hihi

in my defense, one poster called me a "fucking moron" and another said i should "fucking die" and that i have no respect for this band. I could see that I guess.....I've been a hardcore fan for only 18 years. Roll Eyes

and all that just cuz I said ....... ?nervous nervous NuGnR. nervous nervous

BTW I consider myself a pretty decent poster around here too. It won't happen again...next time I'll just report the fuckers ok

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 03:17:36 PM »

Again, it's not about specific posters and an occasional boo boo.

It's about a disturbing trend that continues in the main GnR section.? One that seems to be perpetuated by a small group of posters (and again, I'm not talking about you, specifically, Thorazine OR you Neemo...that's why I left your posts out, and only brought jarmo's over) who, I think, the mods can pretty easily identify.

And a suggestion on how, maybe, that trend could be curbed.

Notice, I'm not suggesting those posters get banned, forever.

But it's a bit nuts when good threads get locked, rather than posters who are breaking the rules getting slapped on the wrist.? Agree?

I just would like to ensure that the good discussions don't get derailed (as has been the bent of late) by people who could just as easily discuss the issue in the proper place, or via PM, and those threads get locked.? The Brain thread, in particular, ended with almost 3 pages of drivel....

That's all.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 03:22:30 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 03:22:45 PM »

I would be in favor of some type of temporary banning process (even if it is me Grin). 

I would imagine that Jarmo would have to put some type of program together in order for him to achieve this idea.  Because keeping track of who is banned and who needs to be unbanned would be a job in itself.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 04:06:41 PM »

I would be in favor of some type of temporary banning process (even if it is me Grin). 

I would imagine that Jarmo would have to put some type of program together in order for him to achieve this idea.  Because keeping track of who is banned and who needs to be unbanned would be a job in itself.

actually its built into the ban control panel of each forum. You can just set the ban for 24 hours then once the 24 hours have passed, they are automatically unbanned. Theres really no extra work in it, besides taking a few seconds to actually ban the people.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 04:25:05 PM »

I would be in favor of some type of temporary banning process (even if it is me Grin).?

I would imagine that Jarmo would have to put some type of program together in order for him to achieve this idea.? Because keeping track of who is banned and who needs to be unbanned would be a job in itself.

actually its built into the ban control panel of each forum. You can just set the ban for 24 hours then once the 24 hours have passed, they are automatically unbanned. Theres really no extra work in it, besides taking a few seconds to actually ban the people.

Oh ok.

Wait a minute, aren't you the guy I was arguing with?

You got me popped you bastard!

Grin

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 07:15:14 PM »

From the GnR/Stones thread

Oh shut up already. It has absolutely nothing to do with these shows.

Yet some of you need to bring the whole "Axl ruined the band" thing into the threads.

Great to see more European dates. Seems like this "test tour", as some put it, is getting longer and longer.

/jarmo

You know....every time threads get DRAGGED way off topic to talk about Axl ruining the old band, and all that crap that goes with it, I wanna commit harey carey.? And, even worse, it seems to be the same people doing it, time after time.?

And what ends up happening (witness the initial "Brain performing on the 12th" thread) is good threads get locked.

I say, instead of locking threads, you temp ban the people doing it.? Take their posting priviledges away for 24 hours.

It gets really annoying to have a good thread become a disjointed mess.? It becomes really annoying when a good thread, like the Brain thread, gets derailed for 2 pages of nonsense and THEN we have to start a new thread in order to both dicuss the issue further AND pass along new info.? It becomes really annoying that people can't confine discussion to the topics they belong in.? I can understand some threads wandering off topic a bit....but when someone hijacks them and starts the same discussion that's taking place in 4, 5, 10, 100 different threads....well, did I say it gets really annoying yet?
Interesting point, and I pretty much agree. I was in that thread the other night, so you are probably labeling me as a "hijacker", but as Neemo pointed out, there were people using insults and wishing for people to die, so it obviously went off topic.

Something else that should be dealt with is all this fake insider bullshit. I remember a time when a real source was needed to say any "inside info". Not anymore. This insider garbage also plays a role in the ruination of threads. When one of you guys say something, you have hundreds of noobs posting thank you posts and the normal people not believing a word of it. When follow up questions are posted asking about this info, the people who posted the info ignore it and move on to their next little tidbit of info. And the cycle continues. This occurs in about 90% of the threads in the GNR section. Maybe there should be a special section for this insider stuff.

Pilferk: There is a Brain thread that hasnt been locked. It was active until I asked a good question, and now its dormant. There's a question in that thread asked to you that has sat ignored for two days. Go check it out. ok

Sterlingdog
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 09:18:37 PM »

As long as we are complaining, can I mention that it irritates me that many threads turn into the same 4 or 5 posters flirting with each other like they are getting ready to have cybersex.  One or two posts, fine -  but sometimes it goes on for a page or two before someone reigns them in.  I have to skip past a bunch of garbage posts to find something to read that might have meaning. 
MCT
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 09:27:12 PM »

What is brown sugar?
Sterlingdog
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 09:34:16 PM »

What is brown sugar?

Is this the comedic brilliance of a running joke, or simply a lack of creativity?  Where's Jim?  I'd like his analysis on this one.   Smiley
MCT
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 09:42:49 PM »

Both. But I wouldn't call it brilliant. More esoteric I think.

Anyway (and either way), I'll keep randomly asking until I get an answer that's sweet enough.

EDIT - And Jim is on top of Becky, no doubt digging his chin into her left shoulder.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 09:47:59 PM by MCT » Logged
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 10:35:51 PM »

What is brown sugar?

What?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 11:06:25 PM »

As long as we are complaining, can I mention that it irritates me that many threads turn into the same 4 or 5 posters flirting with each other like they are getting ready to have cybersex.? One or two posts, fine -? but sometimes it goes on for a page or two before someone reigns them in.? I have to skip past a bunch of garbage posts to find something to read that might have meaning.?
Sterling, you are not the only one to have issues with that. I always thought the Jungle section was great. It has a really cool group of people there. MCT, Prometheus, Journey, you, SLC,etc. Alot of them dont even post in the GNR section, they just hang out there.

But as you mentioned, a few months ago The Jungle turned into a cesspool of filth. Its not even the same place anymore. Long time members have even confronted the people doing that shit in the threads, but it doesn't help. Every thread is cybersex and anal sex. I know Jarmo cant do everything at once, and he'll surely do something about it eventually. But what I find odd is how respectable mods play along with it. That encourages their behavior.

I'm not an expert on internet laws, and since Jarmo is in Europe things may be different, but if this constant sex crap continues, this site will probably have to turn into an adult site that minors cant access. There are alot of underage people that are members here, and alot of shit gets said here that should not be read by kids. Websites get shut down all the time for letting people underage have access to obscene content. An entire section about anal sex would fall into that category.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:17:27 PM by jameslofton29 » Logged

SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 11:41:26 PM »

Every thread is cybersex and anal sex.

As long as we are complaining, can I mention that it irritates me that many threads turn into the same 4 or 5 posters flirting with each other like they are getting ready to have cybersex. 

I thought I was the only one who noticed this.  Roll Eyes

The threads have been very thin lately.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: