Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:42:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228064 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  May 15th show thread POST YOUR REVIEWS IN THE GNR ON TOUR SECTION PLEASE!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 15th show thread POST YOUR REVIEWS IN THE GNR ON TOUR SECTION PLEASE!  (Read 74276 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #520 on: May 16, 2006, 11:07:30 AM »

Did you avoid the UYI tour before the release of the UYI albums because you didnt want things spoiled? During that time, people loved hearing that new music. I dont see why the logic has to be different this time, since apparently he has a trilogy of material to play around with.

One difference is the internet - those new songs would spread on a scale unlike anything in the 90s.? Thats obviously not how he wants the new songs unveiled.?

We all want to hear new songs, but with six likely Chinese Democracy songs in regular rotation, Id rather hear the rest on the album.? As for people attending, who is really passing up GNR because theres too many classics in the setlist?? Thats what most casual fans, and many die-hards, want to see.? Id like to see a few more.?

The key is Axl actually releasing the album.? Assuming he does, itll about 5 or 6 months until hes playing those new songs.? No big deal.? If not, then the problems obviously bigger than the setlist.

Yeah good point about the internet. Those songs were available on $50 bootlegs, but they werent mainstream. I dont think those songs being played are guarantees. Go back to 2001-02. Was Riyadh a guarantee? Silkworms? if so, then we already have most of the album. Might as well play a couple more. hihi

Your argument about people wanting classic setlists is slightly flawed. Under normal circumstances and it being a different band, I would agree with you 100%. We only need to go back 4 years to dismantle your argument on that subject. Classic setlist, and it became apparent not very far into the tour that CD wasnt coming out "soon", and axl performed in half empty arenas. Without a release date in the near future, expect a repeat. Dont blame the 2002 fiasco on only bad promotion. This tour is being promoted even worse.
Selling out small venues isnt a proper test for success of this tour. He should have done 4 nights at MSG and announced that setlist beforehand. ?Only forum members would have been at that those shows, and not even all the forum members would have fell for that. Also in foreign countries, the old band is what is being promoted. Of course people are going to buy tickets. They think AFD GNR is back. They are half right. AFD songs, but not AFD members.

that`s not right. people know that slash isn`t in the band anymore. but there are lots of people who don`t care as long as axl is there ok

yeah, europe is a lot more inviting when it comes to the new band.

probably why he always goes there first.

personally i really like the new band, and i dont care if the old one ever reunites. itd be cool, but just not necessary to me anymore.
If Europe is so inviting to the new band, then he needs to promote the new band. Stop using 20 year old pics to tell people you're on the way.

B_Diddy
Opening Act

« Reply #521 on: May 16, 2006, 11:11:58 AM »

Lofton...

Your logic is crap...

UYI illusion tour didn't consist of only UYI songs, there were plenty of AFD songs played - like you said - at times it was half new material, half old..

Now, back then, the back catalogue was less than half of what it is now. So less other stuff to fit in - they were playing the best songs from AFD/Lies and new stuff.

Now, they have to play the best songs from AFD/Lies/UYI 1+2 and new songs, meaning less space for new stuff.

If you have been to see any band with an extensive back catalogue, you'll see them play 4/5 new songs, and the rest from the back catalogue.

Standard.

@#$%Funker

exactly what i was going with in my statement

When I saw Metallica around the time they released St.Anger they played TWO songs (Frantic & St.Anger) from that album and the rest from the old ones, and the set was well over two hours. I'm just as anxious as anyone to hear all new stuff, but without an album out it wouldn't make sense to play 50 % new stuff...

What they should do though, is to change the setlist from time to time, and play some different "old" songs now and then...like "Civil War", "Estranged" or "Garden of Eden"... Smiley I'd like that!

I've been dancin' with the Catcher in the rye, the TWAT has been knockin', the IRS won't leave me alone...
Bostonrose
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #522 on: May 16, 2006, 11:14:31 AM »

This tour is being promoted even worse

What do you consider promotion?
 Do expect to see it on TV every 20 minutes?  Do expect to hear it on Radio during every break?

"I never wanted you to be so full of anger, I never wanted you to be somebody else"
IFINGLOVEGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #523 on: May 16, 2006, 11:15:34 AM »

I just wish they wouldnt stick to 2/3 AFD

Throw in more UYI, Lies, and Spagehti

5/12/06
5/14/06
5/15/06
5/17/06
NJ-11/5/06
NYC-MSG 11/10/06
NYC-CBGB 2/11/10
NYC-RoseBar 2/14/10
NJ-11/17/11
CT-11/19/11
NJ-11/26/11
NYC-2/12/12
Vegas-11/14,17,18/2012
NYC-6/6/13
NYC-6/8
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #524 on: May 16, 2006, 11:37:45 AM »

Sweet!  Do you have the whole thing?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #525 on: May 16, 2006, 11:57:58 AM »

This tour is being promoted even worse

? What do you consider promotion?
 Do expect to see it on TV every 20 minutes?? Do expect to hear it on Radio during every break?
Of course I dont expect to see it on TV every 20 minutes. I expect the new band to be promoted, and the members allowed to help promote it. I dont expect 20 year old pics to be used to promote a new GNR tour.

Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #526 on: May 16, 2006, 12:17:51 PM »

I just wish they wouldnt stick to 2/3 AFD

Throw in more UYI, Lies, and Spagehti

Appetite is one of the biggest selling, most imporatant rock albums of all time and will therefore always make up the majority of Guns 'n' Roses set, and i for one totally endorse those immortal songs making up two thirds of the show. Spaghetti Incident is utter shite and was only done to use up part of the Geffen recording contract, so that is rightfully buried in the past. Lies was cool but was a major cash-in job by Geffen to keep money rolling in while the band was at such a huge peak so i doubt you'll hear much more from that. It would be cool to hear more UYI stuff though especially if Izzy shows up.  ok

As for the CD stuff it's absurd that a few newbie fans here think they deserve to hear this stuff just b/c they downloaded a bunch of unfinished demos and decided they were the new authority on G'n'R. When the album comes out you'll hear plenty of that on the real tour that promotes it. Until then show some respect to the back catalogue, even though you may be too young to understand the significance of it.  yes

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #527 on: May 16, 2006, 12:35:12 PM »

As I said in the other thread,

I think they play oldies mainly because they want to make the audience happy, which makes them happy.
That's the spirit of a performer.
circumstances alter cases. And cd can alter the circumstances.

BTW, amusing to see booker defending the band and dave sort of complaining... hihi
That's why I love the fellow fans here.
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #528 on: May 16, 2006, 12:43:26 PM »

Greetings to you all from New York City. I know it's a cliche but it really is the city that never sleeps. I know I haven't! I have always wanted to see the place, and GNR was a great excuse to finally get here. I am so happy that I did. New York is alive, just a great vibe, and of course it ain't that often you get to stand 20 feet from Axl Rose for 2 hours! Twice!

Yup, I did go to both the Sunday and Monday night shows. I may post a full review later but suffice it to say, they were awesome. I guess I preferred Sunday's show slightly, but that was probably because it was the first one. Sunday night, "You Could Be Mine" was a fucking unbelievably good time. Pandemonium! Loved "Out ta Get Me", "Rocket Queen" and "My Michelle" was a blast, Axl looked so happy up there doing the song with Baz. The second night, "Nightrain", "November Rain" and "Paradise City" were the highlights.

Went to the pre-show planning to stay for about 20 minutes, stayed for 3 hours. Everyone there, super-cool.

No "There Was a? Time" either night, and not enough UYI stuff. Also for some odd reason hard to hear Axl or the guitars on "Better", there was a helluva lot of feedback during that song, or something. rant That's my little rant of the day.

I have to say one thing about Robin Finck. I have never bashed this guy, but I always considered him the 2nd guitarist, nowhere close to Buckethead. When the Bucket left, I just assumed that they would need to replace Bucket with a new guy. But what seems to have happened is, Robin is now the lead guitarist, and Bumblefoot has replaced him. And I will say this: Robin seemed so calm, so cool and in control, enjoying the show while playing some excellent guitar. I said to my friends afterwards and we all agreed, Robin is now the lead guitarist and I have no problem with that, he really did an excellent job and I hope he gets more respect around these parts because he really does deserve it.

Overall, these shows were fantastic, and I had a great time. Axl sounded great, seemed very happy and calm, and in a great mood both nights. GNFNR!

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #529 on: May 16, 2006, 12:56:32 PM »

Also a couple of quick stories, forgive me if they have been told already but I don't have time to read the entire thread.

Sunday night, Axl was talking about 'Better' for a second, and he said something along the lines of "By the way, a little tidbit for you. 'Better' is a Robin song".

Then during Monday's show, he said "This next song, I wrote all the lyrics to it except for one line. Now I sang that line, I put my heart into it, but I didn't write it. Izzy wrote it. And you know what that one little line was that Izzy wrote? Out ta Get Me..." Now that's good stuff!

By the way, I saw a few people asking about Axl's voice earlier in the thread. It sounded fucking great, folks. Only problem was it was a little low in the mix. I actually thought they turned up the vox a bit about halfway through Monday's show, but I could be wrong. I have been rather skeptical lately about this record and the band because it has been delayed for so fucking long, but Axl just seems totally rejuvenated and cool right now. I am actually optimistic now that this thing will come out in the fall. Come on Axl do it! There are a lot of us out here who will buy every single thing you ever put out, and we really, really, REALLY need some new stuff...

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #530 on: May 16, 2006, 01:03:12 PM »

he said something along the lines of "By the way, a little tidbit for you. 'Better' is a Robin song".

i think this is kind of directed to the boards and how people on them are always trying to act like they know who wrote what parts and stuff.

he also mentioned this behaviour on the trunk show, and on friday  night.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #531 on: May 16, 2006, 01:05:52 PM »

Also a couple of quick stories, forgive me if they have been told already but I don't have time to read the entire thread.

Sunday night, Axl was talking about 'Better' for a second, and he said something along the lines of "By the way, a little tidbit for you. 'Better' is a Robin song".

Then during Monday's show, he said "This next song, I wrote all the lyrics to it except for one line. Now I sang that line, I put my heart into it, but I didn't write it. Izzy wrote it. And you know what that one little line was that Izzy wrote? Out ta Get Me..." Now that's good stuff!

By the way, I saw a few people asking about Axl's voice earlier in the thread. It sounded fucking great, folks. Only problem was it was a little low in the mix. I actually thought they turned up the vox a bit about halfway through Monday's show, but I could be wrong. I have been rather skeptical lately about this record and the band because it has been delayed for so fucking long, but Axl just seems totally rejuvenated and cool right now. I am actually optimistic now that this thing will come out in the fall. Come on Axl do it! There are a lot of us out here who will buy every single thing you ever put out, and we really, really, REALLY need some new stuff...

Finck has definitely stepped up his game.... and I had the same reaction when I saw him Friday night. However, just a matter of time before the BEAST that is Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal takes over.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #532 on: May 16, 2006, 01:08:02 PM »

he said something along the lines of "By the way, a little tidbit for you. 'Better' is a Robin song".

i think this is kind of directed to the boards and how people on them are always trying to act like they know who wrote what parts and stuff.

he also mentioned this behaviour on the trunk show, and on friday? night.

or people like me for saying Robin sucks and Better is the best of the leaks hihi peace

Is everybody ready? this is a new thing (well it's happened a couple times before) But, Robin is indeed the man if he wrote this song

beer Cheers Mr. Robin Finck 'Better' fucking rules yes
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 01:10:18 PM by Neemo » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #533 on: May 16, 2006, 01:42:26 PM »

I never thought about Robin being the 2nd guitarist. Of course Buckethead grabbed some attention, but if you listen to some solos like SCOM, The Blues, Mr. Brownstone, etc, you would know he's the lead guitar ALSO. There's no need to label them as 2nd, 3rd guitarist or whatever. Everyone of them are capable to play lead and to shine on the stage. It's not a one man show like it was with Slash anymore.

All of your cameras are to belong to me...
Hey Beta's son! All your base are belong to us... hihi

Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #534 on: May 16, 2006, 01:45:17 PM »

Finck has definitely stepped up his game.... and I had the same reaction when I saw him Friday night. However, just a matter of time before the BEAST that is Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal takes over.

At least Finck has adopted a semi-decent image now, but let me put this to you. How come it now takes TWO guitarists (Finck/Bucket and now Finck/Bumble) to do the work of one... SLASH?! ?hihi
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #535 on: May 16, 2006, 01:53:03 PM »

At least Finck has adopted a semi-decent image now, but let me put this to you. How come it now takes TWO guitarists (Finck/Bucket and now Finck/Bumble) to do the work of one... SLASH?!  hihi
Roll Eyes
Oh god, you really don't know what are you talkin' about. As far as I know, the three guitars line up is for the NEW gons, not the oldies. But what do you expect? They have 3 guitarists, why only use one guy to play Slash's solos if they are all capable to play it???

Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #536 on: May 16, 2006, 02:05:48 PM »

At least Finck has adopted a semi-decent image now, but let me put this to you. How come it now takes TWO guitarists (Finck/Bucket and now Finck/Bumble) to do the work of one... SLASH?!? hihi
Roll Eyes
Oh god, you really don't know what are you talkin' about. As far as I know, the three guitars line up is for the NEW gons, not the oldies. But what do you expect? They have 3 guitarists, why only use one guy to play Slash's solos if they are all capable to play it???

What the fuck are YOU talking about? So three guitars are for NEW guns yet the set is 80 per cent old material... so by that logic one guy stands there with his finger up his ass for most of the show - OK.  hihi

Why use three guys to play Slash's solos... because obvioulsly one alone can't cut it!
Luca Brasi
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #537 on: May 16, 2006, 02:12:09 PM »

Hi, I need everyone's help here.  This is my first post, I decided to join this forum after having gone to the Sunday night show.  I was the very first person in line (got there at 11:30PM the night before), so some people on the board may know me because they kept asking if I was from "Here Today Gone To Hell".  I was standing and talking with people from Providence (sorry, forgot your names LOL), Missouri, a guy from Maryland and some other dude.

I'd like to track down those people just to say hi, but I also need some help.  Is anyone going to Wednesday's show (the 17th)?  My dilemma is this.  I bought my shirt at the end of the show because I wanted to make sure I was dead center.  I ended up not buying the design I wanted.  I wanted to buy the design with the old and new GNR logos, with the hand written dates on the back, but they only had those left in Size XL.  I need one in either a Medium or Large.

Can anyone, ANYONE please buy me this shirt in either a size Medium or size Large and I will pay them back?  I can either meet you after the show, or I can pay for you to mail it to me?

Please, if anyone can find it in their hearts to help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Please send me a PM if you care to help.

Thanks again and rock on,
~ Vinny
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #538 on: May 16, 2006, 02:17:38 PM »

So three guitars are for NEW guns yet the set is 80 per cent old material... so by that logic one guy stands there with his finger up his ass for most of the show - OK.? hihi

Why use three guys to play Slash's solos... because obvioulsly one alone can't cut it!

even though the old material used to be played live with 2 guitarists, more often than not the studio version had 3-4 or even 5 or more guitar parts....plenty of stuff to play Tongue

if you take a look at any gnr sheet music you'll see that Roll Eyes

ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #539 on: May 16, 2006, 03:04:29 PM »

Axl Rose is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

People will moan whatever the setlist.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: