Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:05:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Appetite For Destruction Covers?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Appetite For Destruction Covers?  (Read 2083 times)
totoro
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: May 29, 2006, 02:12:46 PM »

I am very aware of the history behind the "robot rape" cover.  But what I am confused by is which cover was ultimately released in America?

I remember my friends owning copies of the Appetite CD and the cover was the collection of photos of the band laid out against a black background, with the cross on the inside cover of the CD.  My copy of the CD, which I got in the mid 90's shares this cover scheme ... the cross is on the inside cover.

But now in the stores, the CD has the cross on the cover, and in a discussion I read of the history of the original banned cover, it only says that the cross cover was the replacement for the robot rape cover.

What is the deal with the photo montage cover?  Was this a US only cover?  Was it only a cover used for the CD?  Anybody know?
Bostonrose
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 02:14:52 PM »

I am very aware of the history behind the "robot rape" cover.? But what I am confused by is which cover was ultimately released in America?

I remember my friends owning copies of the Appetite CD and the cover was the collection of photos of the band laid out against a black background, with the cross on the inside cover of the CD.? My copy of the CD, which I got in the mid 90's shares this cover scheme ... the cross is on the inside cover.

But now in the stores, the CD has the cross on the cover, and in a discussion I read of the history of the original banned cover, it only says that the cross cover was the replacement for the robot rape cover.

What is the deal with the photo montage cover?? Was this a US only cover?? Was it only a cover used for the CD?? Anybody know?

The cross cover replaced the robot rape scene,
I too bought a montage cover, but I think this was a factory mistake...

"I never wanted you to be so full of anger, I never wanted you to be somebody else"
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 03:42:06 PM »

Show us the montage cover please, I've never seen it.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 03:53:10 PM »

It's the same one that's on the inside of the cd.....it was just stapled all fucked up I think.? I bought the CD in the long case back in like 91..........it had the full skeleton cross on the front, then the actual cd booklet had the messed up cover

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
KILLYOURIDOL
Banned
Opening Act

This site is filled with Axl nuthuggers

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 03:58:51 PM »

It was infact a mess up with the printing. After the rape cover was pulled they rushed production on CD's Casettes and Albums only to find half way through the front and back cover were reversed. Instead of scrapping the whole thing the went ahead with it cause back then CD's came in a long box which would show the cover. The CD was never meant to be sold with out that box.
totoro
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 05:19:48 PM »

Thanks for the info.

You can check out the photo montage cover here:
http://www.secondspin.com/music/product-detail.jsp?id=833655

WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 11:15:33 PM »

It was infact a mess up with the printing. After the rape cover was pulled they rushed production on CD's Casettes and Albums only to find half way through the front and back cover were reversed. Instead of scrapping the whole thing the went ahead with it cause back then CD's came in a long box which would show the cover. The CD was never meant to be sold with out that box.

Why didn't they just insert the booklet into the CD case with the cross facing out?

KILLYOURIDOL
Banned
Opening Act

This site is filled with Axl nuthuggers

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 12:04:20 PM »

Why didn't they just insert the booklet into the CD case with the cross facing out?

you'll have to ask the little chinese kids that packaged them Grin
blaqktiger
Guitars Suck
Rocker

The only man to pull off a Red Suit - BfoOt

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 01:00:33 PM »

what is this long black box?

07-06-2006 -- Hammersmith Apollo.
11-06-2006 -- Donington Park.
30-07-2006 -- Wembley Arena.

www.robinfinck.com
coldfan13
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 01:11:46 PM »

i assume a long black box that he is refering to, is what cds first came in when they were released...way back in the day cds came in boxes, unlike cds that come out today....
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 03:53:05 PM »

LOL...yeah, I forgot all about those old boxes CDs used to come in. Used to be a pain in the ass to get the CD out without destroying the box. Then there were those plastic monstrocities for security purposes. There was a great use of plastic, huh  hihi

Sorry...back on topic. I've always wondered 'bout that cover myself (as I had the photo collage too). I never paid it much mind as I just flipped the CD booklet around so the cross faced outwards, but was always curious as to why it was like that.

My "Live Era" CDs are F'd up too. Disc one is actually disc two and vice versa. Anyone else run into that problem as well?

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 04:50:46 PM »

I am very aware of the history behind the "robot rape" cover.? But what I am confused by is which cover was ultimately released in America?

I remember my friends owning copies of the Appetite CD and the cover was the collection of photos of the band laid out against a black background, with the cross on the inside cover of the CD.? My copy of the CD, which I got in the mid 90's shares this cover scheme ... the cross is on the inside cover.

What is the deal with the photo montage cover?? Was this a US only cover?? Was it only a cover used for the CD?? Anybody know?

In the US, the orignal was the robot rape scene....the croos with the band members was the replacement as far back as 87-88, which is the one I have from multiple purchases
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: