Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 08:53:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How will GN'R be recieved at metal festivals i.e. Download
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How will GN'R be recieved at metal festivals i.e. Download  (Read 6251 times)
UK_Gunner
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: June 02, 2006, 02:01:27 PM »

I remember this sort of debate last year with people wondering how a band like VR who have there fair share of ballards, will be recieved by a largely metal audience.

These sorts of festivals have played hosts to Metallica, Slipknot , Megadeth, AC/DC, Black Sabbath etc. These being particularly heavy bands hence it appeals to a more heavy fan base.

Taking into account that GN'R are a hugely popular band it will be no problem, but do you think the fans that aren't their specifically for Guns but are watching them regardless will take well to the piano solos, the band jams, the ballards etc.? Do you think Axl will take this into account when considering the setlist and cut the jams down and include heavier numbers?
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 02:06:44 PM »

i don't like festivals,because there are many manynon gnr fans.
in budapest 13000 people sang with axl

I have never seen so many tree
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 02:08:13 PM »

well i think they will be received well. gnr is still a guitar driven band ok

I'm still old school too, and consider GnR to be hard rock/metal, like not as hard core as bands you mentioned but during their time they were considered metalish and alot of metal heads i know still consider AFD to be one of the best albums ever.

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 02:15:50 PM »

well i think they will be received well. gnr is still a guitar driven band ok

I'm still old school too, and consider GnR to be hard rock/metal, like not as hard core as bands you mentioned but during their time they were considered metalish and alot of metal heads i know still consider AFD to be one of the best albums ever.

Yes! I totaly agree  ok

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Mr.Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 02:51:46 PM »

Too true, fuck this new material, i'm not even sure how well November Rain would go down at download. All the people at my school that are going plan on booing if he plays any new songs. (i played them the leaks). But since they're headlining the last day, who knows? people might not be in a headbanging mood by the time gnr come on stage. Plus i know they throw a lot of bottles and shit during download. Wouldn't be surprised if Axl stops in a song and tells them to calm down. hihi
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 02:53:17 PM »

I think GnR will get a mixed reception at festivals like this. Of course there'll be the usual haters that'll just watch them to be negative, but at the same time GnR are definitely experiencing huge amounts of popularity nowadays. So it'll be a mixture of both probably
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 05:01:21 PM »

Too true, fuck this new material, i'm not even sure how well November Rain would go down at download. All the people at my school that are going plan on booing if he plays any new songs. (i played them the leaks). But since they're headlining the last day, who knows? people might not be in a headbanging mood by the time gnr come on stage. Plus i know they throw a lot of bottles and shit during download. Wouldn't be surprised if Axl stops in a song and tells them to calm down. hihi
when i wes at leeds festival 2002,all day they had bands like hundred reasons,slipknot,ragin speedhorn,nofx,and i thought GNR were goin to get booed off,but to my suprise id never seen 50,000 poeple shut the fuck up and get their lighters out for november rain.amazing  ok

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
sootn
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 05:19:47 PM »

if your into rock, metal and don't like GNR you got problems.  Tongue  most metal bands these days all sound the same its boring.  Roll Eyes 2nd part of November Rain is kind of heavy. Any festival like whoever said your gonna have your haters. Not everyone likes everything.
wadey
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 05:44:41 PM »

At the leeds festival in 2002 there were more G N' R fans there than all the rest put together....G N' R have always been an outdoor band and they always seem to give better performances outside at stadiums and festivals.

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 05:54:02 PM »

Guns owned Leeds in 2002. Cool

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
wadey
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »

They are gonna own DOWNLOAD 2  Cool Grin

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 06:15:26 PM »

didnt they  yes  ok

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 06:43:45 PM »

Depends what kind of fans show up. Hardcore metal fans do not like Axl Rose in general. If it was the original line-up they would fair a better chance. But we will see... I dont think they will be boo'ed of stage. But those bands you mentioned aren't even that heavy so its nothing to worry about.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
Mr.Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 06:54:08 PM »

All true, but download has the most hardcore metal fans around apart from those guys that want to kill people. And yes they do hate Axl. But that said if the band plays well Axl could change a lotta people's minds.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 11:10:10 AM »

In the original post you mentioned AC/DC and Black Sabbath. These two bands particulary AC/DC, are not as heavy as GnR, so if their ok to play so will GnR. I just think the fact they are rock legends it doesn't matter if they are not metal enough because they influenced so many metal bands.

Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 11:23:50 AM »

When Guns first got announced to play, the forum at the official Download site was full of extremely scathing comments and remarks, most of them ill-informed.

But since the Hammerstein shows and the emergence of Axl into public life again, perceptions are becoming increasingly positive.

Give Peace A Chance...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 11:34:26 AM »

I think they will do fine, gnr's such a known name today it's like ac/dc or something showing up..  I know many aren't into the axl is gnr bullshit and what not but it should be all good

I never go by what boards say, two different types those who post and those who go see them..
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 11:37:48 AM »

I never go by what boards say, two different types those who post and those who go see them..

Fair point, but the Download forum is more or less run by people who are going to the festival.

Anyways, as we've seen from the shows so far, the band are playing enough of the classics to make most people happy.

Give Peace A Chance...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 11:39:05 AM »

Fair point, but the Download forum is more or less run by people who are going to the festival.

Anyways, as we've seen from the shows so far, the band are playing enough of the classics to make most people happy.

that's it' it'll be heavy afd and everyone knows these songs, they'll be playing it safe as usuall.. How can you go wrong playing mostly songs from one of the best debut rock albums ever?
bluenun
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 11:44:19 AM »

GnR should be recieved well at the up and coming festivals. What with so many bands playing, there is less of a we came to see just one band kind of feel as is normally associated with concerts put on by a band just for themselves.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: