Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:12:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Is this tour/CD necessary for a re-union?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this tour/CD necessary for a re-union?  (Read 3757 times)
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: June 24, 2006, 01:03:58 PM »

Do you think its necessary for Axl to be at least successful with this tour and the release of CD for there to be a real chance of a re-union?  I have to admit, the new musicians are talented, but there is something BIG missing in the new GnR.  The original lineup were masterful collaborators.  The sound, rhythm and lyrics were epic and nobody in rock at the time or especially now could even come close.  I think this new GnR can release a platinum selling album, but it won't sell anymore than Contraband did.  Contraband was a success though, so that's not a knock.

So I think maybe Axl releases CD in late fall, it sells 2 or 3 million and then the reunion buzz gets started in full swing around this time next year.  I think, at best, VR can match Contraband, but their not going to ever out-do it.  Quite frankly, its not saying much.  The best thing about that album is Slash.  Its basically a Slash solo project, because Weiland's lyrics are very cliche-ridden and dull (IMO).  Of course Duff is great and so is Matt really, but Slash makes that album.  Without Slash, that album doesn't see Gold status.

If you think about it, a re-union is not that far away.  Axl has already brought Izzy back into the fold, after Izzy was the first to leave.  Sure, Izzy's not a full-time member just yet, but I'm sure he'd record one more album with the original lineup if the vibe was right.  I think Slash wants to record and put out music.  If he's convinced Axl won't dick around with the new material too much, I think he'd rejoin.  Axl and Slash/Izzy have plenty of artistic creativity to cut 2 or 3 multi-platinum records. 

I was skeptical of a re-union, honestly, because of Axl.   But with Izzy coming back, it shows Axl is able to bury the past and forgive.  Same with Izzy.  Fans in Europe are already demanding Slash, and its only a matter of time in my opinion.  Look at Aerosmith... Perry and Tyler HATED each other for years and they made some of their best music after the re-union.  I think Slash is better than Perry and Axl's better than Tyler.

So my question is... does Axl have to release CD before a re-union is a real likelihood?  After all, it would not make sense to bury all this material he's recorded with the others.  I think Slash and Duff would want to start clean.  What are your thoughts?
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 01:08:39 PM »

oh my god... there will be no reunion... there will be no Slash in GNR anymore... it is over... accept it or move on!
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 01:12:35 PM »

oh my god... there will be no reunion... there will be no Slash in GNR anymore... it is over... accept it or move on!

How many times has this been said about other bands?  Even Van Halen attempted a re-union with DLR.  When it comes to legendary rock bands and re-unions, history has taught us to NEVER say never.  Go back a year ago: Who would have thought Izzy would be playing on the same stage with Axl this summer???  Come on, nobody here can say that.  If VR gets into a rut and Slash starts looking for another project... its a natural fit.  There's many factors leading to a re-union that other bands didn't even have when they re-united. 
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 01:14:38 PM »

Do you think its necessary for Axl to be at least successful with this tour and the release of CD for there to be a real chance of a re-union?

There is not going to be a re-union anytime soon, regardless of the sucess of this band
?I think this new GnR can release a platinum selling album, but it won't sell anymore than Contraband did. ?Contraband was a success though, so that's not a knock.[/
quote]

I think you're sadly mistaken if you believe Chinese Democracy will not outsell Contraband

?Without Slash, that album doesn't see Gold status.

I'm not so sure I agree here either, my friend. STP was a great band , but as far as record sales they were frustrated they could'nt sell more. Slash & Duff's solo stuff did not exactly set the world on fire either. The record did good because it was a collaboration and they formed a solid group.

?Axl and Slash/Izzy have plenty of artistic creativity to cut 2 or 3 multi-platinum records.
This is definetely true?

So my question is... does Axl have to release CD before a re-union is a real likelihood? ?After all, it would not make sense to bury all this material he's recorded with the others. ?I think Slash and Duff would want to start clean. ?What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are exactly this: ?What Axl is doing now, is not intended, never has , or never will be about forming some kind of re-union. These guys are here to stay.
They have become a band through these last few years, and a damn good one in my opinion. I'm not saying 10 years from now, there will not be a re-union, but that is not why Axl is doing all of this.
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 01:19:15 PM »

How many times has this been said about other bands?? Even Van Halen attempted a re-union with DLR.? When it comes to legendary rock bands and re-unions, history has taught us to NEVER say never.? Go back a year ago: Who would have thought Izzy would be playing on the same stage with Axl this summer?Huh Come on, nobody here can say that.? If VR gets into a rut and Slash starts looking for another project... its a natural fit.? There's many factors leading to a re-union that other bands didn't even have when they re-united.?

Izzy is just a marketing move (besides he is Axl's friend)... as is mixture of new & old logo, as is... this tour, a warm up tour, is to create a hype about GNR once again... so that record sells better... there is nothing leading to reunion right now or in next 10 years... it would be unfair to everyone... every single person in the new band... this band is GNR, they will release new record(s) and tour... what future brings is what future brings, now you should enjoy the new band. if you can not then don't. wait for reunion to (not) happen...
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 01:33:18 PM »

Izzy is just a marketing move (besides he is Axl's friend)...

(didn't realize my topic had been moved, sorry bro)    Remember when Axl shit on Izzy for about a month or two on stage after Izzy left the band?  There were some hard feelings there, I'd say.

as is mixture of new & old logo, as is... this tour, a warm up tour, is to create a hype about GNR once again... so that record sells better... there is nothing leading to reunion right now or in next 10 years... it would be unfair to everyone... every single person in the new band... this band is GNR, they will release new record(s) and tour... what future brings is what future brings, now you should enjoy the new band. if you can not then don't. wait for reunion to (not) happen...

Yes, but when CD only sells 2 million (because of the name on the CD cover), Axl might wake up and realize he needs the original crew to write meaningful music.  IMO, Better is the best song I've heard from the new material.  Its still missing a lot and could be a much better written song.  Its a strong cut, but it could be so much better with Slash/Izzy.  Sounds a little too pop if you ask me.  Slash brings that raw element that none of these hired Guns can seem to emulate.
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 01:34:16 PM »

Oh my god, what a fool.

You say Slash is the main force behind Contraband? Sure, okay Slash fan-boy, get over yourself.

There are almost no notable solos on that album. You really think Slash was deeply involved with the writing? If he was, he's clearly finished producing the goods.

The old GNR were good at the time they existed. If they got back together they would fail, as although they could play great concerts featuring the old music to middle aged fans they wouldn't be able to write anything new together.

The band split up for a good reason, its time people faced up to that and moved on from 1993.
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 01:39:16 PM »

Oh my god, what a fool.

I am fairly certain this would break forum guidelines.  Chill with the abrasiveness.

You say Slash is the main force behind Contraband? Sure, okay Slash fan-boy, get over yourself.

Yes, who else would it be?  Scott?  Are you kidding me?

There are almost no notable solos on that album. You really think Slash was deeply involved with the writing? If he was, he's clearly finished producing the goods.

Name me one guitar solo from rock music in the last 5 years that even touches the solo on DLT?  Even if Slash half-assed Contraband, its still better than 99% of the other shit out there.  Slash is a rock god, anything he touches is going to sound great. 

The old GNR were good at the time they existed. If they got back together they would fail, as although they could play great concerts featuring the old music to middle aged fans they wouldn't be able to write anything new together.

OK, this is where you lose me.  I'm sure 99.9999% of people here (all except you) know that if Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Matt all made an album together again, it would fucking rock!

The band split up for a good reason, its time people faced up to that and moved on from 1993.

They split up because of creative differences, not a lack of creativity.  I'll let this post slide, but almost all of your comments are unfounded.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 01:44:30 PM »

They split up because of creative differences, not a lack of creativity.? I'll let this post slide, but almost all of your comments are unfounded.

I think he's got a good point here
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 01:54:22 PM »

Oh my god, what a fool.

I am fairly certain this would break forum guidelines.  Chill with the abrasiveness.

Yes, who else would it be?  Scott?  Are you kidding me?

Name me one guitar solo from rock music in the last 5 years that even touches the solo on DLT?  Even if Slash half-assed Contraband, its still better than 99% of the other shit out there.  Slash is a rock god, anything he touches is going to sound great. 

OK, this is where you lose me.  I'm sure 99.9999% of people here (all except you) know that if Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Matt all made an album together again, it would fucking rock!

They split up because of creative differences, not a lack of creativity.  I'll let this post slide, but almost all of your comments are unfounded.

The band split up what 15 years ago? None of the members want to reunite and to them its not an issue, or it wouldn't be if people didn't bring it up all the time. The band split because they didn't want to write and perform together and to this day they still don't. Why can't people like yourself move on from this moment?

The future is that way --------->
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 01:56:02 PM »

lokinthruthis... I think the same ok beer
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 02:02:39 PM »

bunsgabb it's true that the bane split up a long long time ago but I can't keep quite seei'n axl doin' what he's doin'. Don't lie yourself, this is not guns n' roses, this is as guns n' roses as snakepit or neurotic outsiders. To me this is not the future, this is axl solo carrer. I like it but this is not Guns.
If axl, slash, duff and izzy come back it would totally rocks!!! It would be great. I'm afraid that we missed the for a lot of years. How many great albums, songs, tours... they'd done if they never split up...!!! we'll never know this
Let's enjoy this new band and velvet revolver but, please, don't call axl band Guns n' roses, they aren't
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »

The band split up what 15 years ago?

10 years ago.

None of the members want to reunite and to them its not an issue, or it wouldn't be if people didn't bring it up all the time. The band split because they didn't want to write and perform together and to this day they still don't. Why can't people like yourself move on from this moment?

The future is that way --------->

Because even Slash hasn't ruled out that it will ever happen.  Apparently, from his last interview, it would only take a phone call from Axl.  Of course, Slash is going to deny re-union rumors, because he's a member of VR!  Notice how he's not saying it will NEVER happen.  He's leaving that door conveniently cracked, isn't he?

Why do I not move on?  You talk about 10 years, but Axl hasn't released an album during that 10 years.  Its not as if he's moved on to bigger better things.  The re-union is still very much a possibility.  I thought the way you did, but when Izzy re-joined the lineup for a few shows, I saw how easy it would be for other others to join. 
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 02:07:24 PM »

To me this is not the future, this is axl solo carrer. I like it but this is not Guns.

So true.  What Axl is doing is nothing different than what so many other frontmen have done in rock history.  He went and hired a bunch of musicians he likes and he's trying to record a successful solo album.  Using the name GnR is a very crafty marketing tool, but its nothing more than this.  Guns N' Roses was a fusion of L.A. Guns (Slash/Steven) and Hollywood Rose (Axl/Izzy).  The 2006 version of GnR is not a fusion between those two bands.  Its an Axl Rose solo project.  Axl's a great artist, so I'm sure they'll go platinum, but its still a solo project.  In fact, I consider VR more of an original act than this version of GnR.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 04:09:43 AM »

I think axl being solo and doing what he wants completly would help open doors for a later reunion..

if they all would have took time away after the illusion tour they would had been better off..

new gnr is new, so no one is on eachother's nerves yet.. Everything starts off great
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 09:25:40 AM »

? Look at Aerosmith... Perry and Tyler HATED each other for years and they made some of their best music after the re-union.? I think Slash is better than Perry and Axl's better than Tyler.

Perry was only gone for a couple years.... And Aerosmith most certainly did not release their best music after they got back together lol..

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 09:28:27 AM »

Where do peopel get this??

Suckertrain Blues
You Got No Right
Dirty Little Thing
Loving The Alien

4 Classic solos right there.....

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 01:25:40 PM »

Where do peopel get this??

Suckertrain Blues
You Got No Right
Dirty Little Thing
Loving The Alien

4 Classic solos right there.....

People say this because he's not doing super long solos... I also know people say this because they are new gnr fans and don't own the album, it's a lot of bandwagon BS... Bucket head only shreds he has no feeling, contraband lacks solos, etc
Rock the jungle
Rocker

Here Today... GONE TO BARCELONA JODER!!

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 07:11:07 PM »

for a re-union I think it's really important the work of a phsycologist, like Metallica to record St. Anger, the problem here the ego of the original line up overall Axl / Salsh (lars / james)  I hardly think in a re-union without someone else help...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 08:28:08 PM »

for a re-union I think it's really important the work of a phsycologist, like Metallica to record St. Anger, the problem here the ego of the original line up overall Axl / Salsh (lars / james)? I hardly think in a re-union without someone else help...

i think that you are right about this about the phsycologist.. nut i actually don't wanna reunion.. but i think that it would have been cool if they got friends again and maybe VR and GN'R could have toured together and then maybe slash and duff playing on some songs the way izzy has been doing on this tour
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: