Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:18:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin Fink: 10 Years Apparently Arent Enough
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Fink: 10 Years Apparently Arent Enough  (Read 21799 times)
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2006, 12:18:41 PM »

Finck Fan: Robin is good!
Slash Fan: But he's not Slash!

. . . seems to be the way the discussion tends to go. Both points are true, of course, but the second one seems redundant. By my calculations (and I'm no math genius, so I could be wrong) it seems to me that everyone who isn't Slash, isn't Slash.?

nah not really...it usually goes...

Finck Swinger: "Robin is a god that is the greatest guitarist ever to grace the stage with Axl and he's a much greater guitarist than slash ever was...i mean look at better...Robin wrote it"
Old GnR fan: "pfft....yeah right"

Robins writing that we heard heard this far is better than anything slash has wriitten in VR. There ya go ok

slither, sucker train blues, fall to peices, headspace, illegal i song, you got no right

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2006, 12:19:05 PM »

slash wrote the greatest riff of all time as some people say SCOM!!!

"Some people say"? You mean, "people who aren't Slash", I guess? Cos I remember him saying something more like "I thought it was just going to be a filler track, we threw it together at the last moment to replace [whatever track got cut from AFD], blah blah blah and then it got released as a single and was huge and GOD DAMN am I sick of hearing it." Or something like that, in the old Mick Wall GNR biography. 
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2006, 12:20:54 PM »

. . . seems to be the way the discussion tends to go. Both points are true, of course, but the second one seems redundant. By my calculations (and I'm no math genius, so I could be wrong) it seems to me that everyone who isn't Slash, isn't Slash.?

Finck Swinger: "Robin is a god that is the greatest guitarist ever to grace the stage with Axl and he's a much greater guitarist than slash ever was...i mean look at better...Robin wrote it"

Robins writing that we heard heard this far is better than anything slash has wriitten in VR. There ya go ok

But Robin's writing in 'GNR' isnt better than what Slash wrote for GNR. Thats the band we are talking about, right?

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2006, 12:24:21 PM »

slash wrote the greatest riff of all time as some people say SCOM!!!

"Some people say"? You mean, "people who aren't Slash", I guess? Cos I remember him saying something more like "I thought it was just going to be a filler track, we threw it together at the last moment to replace [whatever track got cut from AFD], blah blah blah and then it got released as a single and was huge and GOD DAMN am I sick of hearing it." Or something like that, in the old Mick Wall GNR biography.?

im sure it was a throw up between november rain and scom

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2006, 12:25:36 PM »

slither, sucker train blues, fall to peices, headspace, illegal i song, you got no right

Those are not better than the stuff on the blues, twat or better.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2006, 12:26:48 PM »

But Robin's writing in 'GNR' isnt better than what Slash wrote for GNR. Thats the band we are talking about, right?

Um no people are comparing Slash to Robin. So lets compare what each has written recently, since some people are claiming that Robin is not even close to being as good as Slash. And if you want to compare it to the old stuff, the solos that robin wrote for TWAT are up there with the nov rain and scom solos.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2006, 12:29:26 PM »

Good post Jimmy - pretty much nailed it there.

To all the Finck fans - no offense but if I had years 10 + and endless money at my disposal I could probably write a solo as good as the one in the The Blues. I also know that if I had all that time and money Id at least be able to play the old songs without continually messing them up.

To say hes better than Slash is absurd. If there was no Slash you'd be posting on the Crue board moaning about them instead. At least Slash could play the songs. Plus he wrote them so anyone who anyone who slates him needs to take a reality check. So what if he was drunk some of the time, Finck cant play them sober.

His continued sloppiness and lack of output (along with he rest of the band) suggests to me that they arent so much? band than a bunch of hired hands called in when Axl wants to continue tweaking the ridiculously overdue album. if they were such a tight unit then we'd be on album 3 by now.

Before everyone starts saying 'Oh you hate Guns, go to the VR board wa wa wa' Im an Axl fan (why, I dont know) and look forward to hearing what this album will sound like.

Who said the music has taken 10 years to write? The music has been done since 2002 for the most part. Axl has been adding mostly arrangements over the last 4 years, the others have not really? gone back into the? studio save the tweak here and there. The blues and twat solos are pretty much the same as they were in 1999 save the BH part on TWAT which was added in 2002 or earlier, so what is this crap that it has taken robin ten years to write these solos? You really love to twist things to not give credit to robin dont you? The blues was written in 1999, that solo did not take robin anytime to make at all, so why are you lying?

And how do you know this? Are you indeed, Robin Finck....  hihi

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2006, 12:29:40 PM »

For God's sake. Don't you people get tired of comparing one musician to another?

Slash is an amazing guitar player, and I wouldn't be surprised if even Robin would agree with that.

The fact is, Robin is in the band, Slash isn't. Robin isn't in the band because he was in the right bar at the right time. He's in the band because he's the right guy to be there.

He's proven that already. Go and listen to Better for proof.

I suspect we'll find out his other contributions once the album is out.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CD2006
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2006, 12:31:29 PM »

One guy is Slash though (his name is Slash). And I think he probably remembers better than most GNR fans do that it took a really, really long time for Slash to get any sort of respect for his guitar playing. You see, he was a legato style soloist and old-school riffer who became well known at a time when rock music was dominated by bad metal bands with super-fast shredders and Van Halen clones on guitar, while mainstream music was dominated by electro-pop bullshit. So Slash caught shit from both sides, being too smooth and retro for the rock scene and too scuzzy and rockish for the pop clones. Even guitar veterans like Keith Richards would say, when asked, "I have no opinion of him," and then leave to get their veins flushed. It was only really GNR fans who liked his style and gave him the deserved praise. Anyway, fast forward about five years and Slash was one of the most famous living guitarists in the most famous band on the most famous planet in the whole universe. Metal and shredding and the Van Halen clones had worn out their welcome and gone underground to record bad music with orchestral accompaniment and electro-pop had been unplugged, returned to the manufacturer and broken down into its component parts and shelved for later. Both the mainstream and the rock scene were now being molested by soft-rock, pop-rock, returning old-school rock bands, and GNR clones. Begrudgingly, many of the critics, music fans and even other musicians had come around to the fact that Slash was actually pretty good, especially compared to his imitators. And with this encouragement, many GNR fans declared Slash a deity. And since most people, especially music fans, were too busy fixing their hair or working the night shift at the gas station to notice or care, Slash was officially enshrined as the God of Perms.

And about a week later Slash, GNR, and pretty much all of rock music, disappeared.

Now we have a new GNR - and a new guitarist, his name is Robin. He too has a style all his own which is relatively unpopular outside of me and about five other people. His detractors often complain about things like, "He isn't Slash!" Or, "He doesn't have a perm!" But we all know better. The day will (eventually, hopefully) come when he isn't called upon to revisit the shrine of Slash, God of Perms, as much and will instead be able to play his own music in his own way, perhaps in front of living people on a regular basis. And once he's had enough time and experience doing so to hone his chops and develop an unfortunate chemical dependancy problem, perhaps we'll be able to say "Hey, sure he isn't Slash and he doesn't have a perm but, you know, he's pretty good too." And he will be enshrined as Robin, God of? Often Mis-spelled Surnames.? ?

hahaha, genius post! Grin
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2006, 12:34:43 PM »

IMHO slash is awsome and finck is average!!he has done nothing to associate why he should even be in the same league as slash!!i mean example, slash wrote scom, wether you're a GNR fan or not 99% of people have heard of it.i havnt heard on of fincks songs outside of GNR.slash is a rock god. finck is average/good IMHO

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2006, 12:35:34 PM »

IMHO slash is awsome and finck is average!!he has done nothing to associate why he should even be in the same league as slash!!i mean example, slash wrote scom, wether you're a GNR fan or not 99% of people have heard of it.i havnt heard on of fincks songs outside of GNR.slash is a rock god. finck is average/good IMHO

Yeah and if slash had his way that SCOM we all know and love would have been scrapped.

slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2006, 12:39:33 PM »

Yeah and if slash had his way that SCOM we all know and love would have been scrapped.

okay not convinced??great riffs, solo's

rocket queen, november rain, estranged, dont cry, you could be mine list goes on.another fact robin is playing slash's parts, and not doin them much justice.its nothing against robin, i just think slash's sound is unique, even a bad not by slash sounds ok.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2006, 12:41:36 PM »

That means that when Slash went to VR had to prove his ability to play guitar.... or
Ron Thal has to prove now his ability to play guitar. Maybe even buckethead had to prove us his ability to play guitar when he joined GNR.... I can accept the fact that you may like Finck or not... but not that his has to prove his talent through a GNR record. That's silly
Exactly.

Since when music is the competition for good marks?
When music fans stop enjoying music? 
Funny thing is that their most vocal critics tend not to even know what is c in music, it seems.

I quote john paul jones words again
"Think not just how you should sound... but how the band should sound and work towards that."

music dies when a band is about competition.

Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2006, 12:43:21 PM »

But you never would have known about it so it wouldnt matter.

So what do you have against Slash then? Go on, tell us!

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2006, 12:44:36 PM »

rocket queen, november rain, estranged, dont cry, you could be mine list goes on.another fact robin is playing slash's parts, and not doin them much justice.its nothing against robin, i just think slash's sound is unique, even a bad not by slash sounds ok.

No one is saying slash is not good, we all know slash is amazing for what he did in gnr, what we are saying is Finck is not crap like some of you make him out to be. I dont understand some of you. You think if we think Finck is great it must mean we think slashs work in gnr sucked. Stop putting words in our mouths.

And if you really want to go with Robins playing again I have tons of mp3s (I have already posted a few) where slash butchers him own solos that the wrote. And dont give me that shit he was wasted because a lot of them come from 1991 when he was sober for those shows. I posted that Nov Rain solo a few weeks ago and people thought it was Finck playing when it was really slash.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2006, 12:46:14 PM »

Like I just said, some of you need to get a clue. Just because we think Finck is great doesnt mean we think slashs work in sucks. Where do you people come up with this shit? All I am saying is Finck is great and not crap like some of your claim and his work on the demos and live stuff so far is on par with a lot of the work slash did in gnr.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2006, 12:56:58 PM »

What dave says are so true but to be honest Robin is far interesting as an artist than.... well I shan't say who.

You never know how he looks and sounds next.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 12:58:51 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2006, 12:59:33 PM »

Like I just said, some of you need to get a clue. Just because we think Finck is great doesnt mean we think slashs work in sucks. Where do you people come up with this shit? All I am saying is Finck is great and not crap like some of your claim and his work on the demos and live stuff so far is on par with a lot of the work slash did in gnr.

A few songs and a bunch of live shows is not on a par with slash's work in GNR. Have you noticed that the old line up released a few albums and did the biggest tour ever whilst Slash also managed to establish himself as a lengendary rock n roll icon?

As well as writing some awesome stuff - Slash helped build Guns from nothing to the biggest band in the world. He didnt just hop aboard some established name. Albeit one that has long since been dragged through the mud. To suggest that what Finck has done with GNR is on a par with Slash is a blatent insult to the intelligence of everyone who posts here.

But at least you said Slash's work doesnt suck. Cos if you did..... rant

slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2006, 01:08:37 PM »

No one is saying slash is not good, we all know slash is amazing for what he did in gnr, what we are saying is Finck is not crap like some of you make him out to be. I dont understand some of you. You think if we think Finck is great it must mean we think slashs work in gnr sucked. Stop putting words in our mouths.

And if you really want to go with Robins playing again I have tons of mp3s (I have already posted a few) where slash butchers him own solos that the wrote. And dont give me that shit he was wasted because a lot of them come from 1991 when he was sober for those shows. I posted that Nov Rain solo a few weeks ago and people thought it was Finck playing when it was really slash.

slash was always wasted.if you noticed in 1991 he was fucking up everyfin, 1992 he wasnt.what does that say??st louis for instance i mean he was so wasted!!as for the robin argument, im not slasting him, im just backing up the fact that slash is way above him, people are saying robin is better than slash which i find very hard to beleive

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2006, 01:10:21 PM »

A few songs and a bunch of live shows is not on a par with slash's work in GNR. Have you noticed that the old line up released a few albums and did the biggest tour ever whilst Slash also managed to establish himself as a lengendary rock n roll icon?

As well as writing some awesome stuff - Slash helped build Guns from nothing to the biggest band in the world. He didnt just hop aboard some established name. Albeit one that has long since been dragged through the mud. To suggest that what Finck has done with GNR is on a par with Slash is a blatent insult to the intelligence of everyone who posts here.

But at least you said Slash's work doesnt suck. Cos if you did..... rant

Like I said, what we have heard from robin with better, twat and the blues, those are on par with the old gnr songs for the solos and or riffs. What is so bad with saything that? Listen to Robins solo in TWAT, its amazing and its better than the solos in dont cry and patience from the old band. Yes I said it.

As for slash just not ?hopping on the est. gnr name and dragging it through the mudd, you know what he did do right?
He quit the band that he helped built and left Axl hanging. He also bad mouths the band every chance he gets.

I still dont understand how you think this new band drags the name gnr through the mud. Care to explain that one to me? The fact is the people in this band now care about the band enough to be in this band where as Slash and the ex members quit because they did not want to be apart of it anymore. why cant ?you understand this. If ?you want someone to blame for the state gnr is in right now blame the ex members that quit not the current members that have built this band back up to where it is now. Because if this band was not ?the members we have ?now, we would not have songs like CITR, Better, Madagascar, twat and the blues, and basically the VR album would have been a gnr album with Axl on vocals. The funny thing is the demo and live stuff we have heard from gnr is more gnr than the stuff that is on the VR album and VR has 2 orginal members of gnr. Go figure.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: