Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 02:42:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228058 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin Fink: 10 Years Apparently Arent Enough
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Fink: 10 Years Apparently Arent Enough  (Read 21750 times)
hunterwh
Headliner

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2006, 11:04:27 PM »

Robin Finck is amazing.
I love his style and tone. He has an amazing presence.
I love how all his Les Pauls are customized... especially the gold one with only one humbucker.... I wish Gibson would come out with a signature model for him. I love how he moves his pickup selector down into one of the volume or tone spots.... just adds to his style. Kinda like how all guitar greats have an identifiable sound and image: Page, Slash, Townsend, Cobain, etc

COBAIN!!!! lmao he is just about as good as the dude from green day...... wow he sucks. guitar great my ass.

Yeah he is one of the most imitated guitar players on the planet, people steal from him all the time, he only has inspired millions.... but yeah, i guess youve done so much more so you know what your talking about.

GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2006, 11:22:58 PM »

i like fink, i think he plays all the songs well and i am a fan of his solos. but i think he gets a lot of shit because he is replacing slash. a lot of guns n roses fans are so into the old band and all this time when gnr has been gone people have listened to many bootlegs. when you are listening to them play patience in 2006 and its time for the solo, obviously fink is not slash, so hes gonna play it different. he has his own style and its not fair to say he sucks just because he isnt slash. slash is gone and i think fink is a good replacement.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2006, 11:59:32 PM »

it has nothing to do with Fincks talent, but is due to primitivity of most GNR fans, who are limited to a certain type of guitar playing, and dare not look outside their limited box
Keep that generalization bullshit to yourself.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2006, 12:05:14 AM »

U dont get deemed a guitar GOD and  Rock hero without earning it.

Finck is nothing as long as he makes his living playing Slash and izzy's guitar parts.

When CD comes out, if he has stepped up to the plate and kicks total fucking ass, he will then get respect.

Until then, he wont.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2006, 12:28:02 AM »

Not fair. We already heard a bunch of new songs and what he wrote. Sometimes I think many here are waiting for a Robin song that sucks for a reason to bitch about... Because all we already heard gives the guy enough reasons to praise him. Also, this doesn't mean that people who likes Robin dislikes Slash.

G n F n R
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2006, 12:33:24 AM »

Cool thread. Cool Thanks for the Robin insights.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2006, 12:33:43 AM »

When CD comes out, if he has stepped up to the plate and kicks total fucking ass, he will then get respect.

The problem in that scenario is that at least from the demo's, it is Buckethead that plays the best solos in all of the new songs. Listen to the demo of TWAT with Bucket and without, and it becomes evident that it isn't Robin that is going to make this album special or not. So from that respect I am not sure how much respect he is going to get, when his fellow guitarists in the band are the ones responsible for the songs being taken to the next level, and not himself.

Slash would have never become half the legend he was had Izzy or a 3rd guitarist played the NR, Nightrain, PC solos because he wasn't capable of writing or playing them. That is the scenario Robin faces on a nightly basis, so from that respect he has an awful large mountain to climb to ever be thought of as a guitar icon the way previous GNR lead guitarists have been.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2006, 12:50:26 AM »

The problem in that scenario is that at least from the demo's, it is Buckethead that plays the best solos in all of the new songs. Listen to the demo of TWAT with Bucket and without, and it becomes evident that it isn't Robin that is going to make this album special or not. So from that respect I am not sure how much respect he is going to get, when his fellow guitarists in the band are the ones responsible for the songs being taken to the next level, and not himself.

Slash would have never become half the legend he was had Izzy or a 3rd guitarist played the NR, Nightrain, PC solos because he wasn't capable of writing or playing them. That is the scenario Robin faces on a nightly basis, so from that respect he has an awful large mountain to climb to ever be thought of as a guitar icon the way previous GNR lead guitarists have been.

The robin solo is better than the BH outro solo on twat. Robins solo from 2:37 to about the 5 minute mark is better that what BH does after that.? Robin has the bulk of the solo in TWAT and its amazing.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 12:54:21 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2006, 01:16:09 AM »

One thing people have to remember is in Fincks previous work he was told, "I want your hand to bleed, I don't care if you hit the right notes, I need you to support what I'm trying to say in the song. Here's what your role in the band is, it's not to show that you're the greatest guitar player in the world, it's about supporting this crusade we're on. I need a right-hand man." -Reznor.

He still plays like this today and although reznor wrote the music, he pretty much allowed robin to do whatever he wanted with the music.  Robin now has to immitate slash, which is hard.  Slash was a great guitarist and if you make a mistake on your own work who cares?  But you mess one note up of a legends work you suck.  Slash will be in the Rock hall of fame the moment he is eligible, he is a legend, but believe it or not he would mess up on stage all of the time, it was his own work os no one cared.  Robin messes up, its someone elses stuff so its noticable, also we have the internet now so everyone sees it over and over, plus everyones out to bash him.  He is a great guitarist and a cool guy, I just hope that people open up to him and realize he is apart of GnR and when the album comes out he will be as much apart of it as any of the "original" lineup, even more so cause its present time.
estranged.1098
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2006, 01:24:14 AM »

The problem in that scenario is that at least from the demo's, it is Buckethead that plays the best solos in all of the new songs.

Are you kidding? I'm sorry, but Robin is the one who wrote the Better solos.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2006, 01:27:05 AM »

The problem in that scenario is that at least from the demo's, it is Buckethead that plays the best solos in all of the new songs.

Are you kidding? I'm sorry, but Robin is the one who wrote the Better solos.

Another thing, if  you listen to the leaks and the live songs from 2002 besides madagascar, Robin had pretty much all the solos on the new songs and the ones that BH had on the new songs were pretty short compared to Robin.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2006, 01:36:04 AM »

Nothing's wrong with discussing it again.

I have a feeling you and POV would enjoy this section of the board very much.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?board=13.0

ahh.. the dead horse section.

recently even more so, this section seems to essentially be the 'catch all' or sweep under the carpet, out of sight, section for any threads that dont blindly praise Axl

I notice blind praise of Axl, no matter how many threads, doesnt get moved away quite as swiftly - even though thats been discussed 'countless' times as well? hihi

back on topic - Finck has something appealing, not sure what. I saw him in 2000 with NIN and he was very impressive. But in saying that, he's been a clumsy guitarust for GNR on many occasions

Ive said it before, leave Slashs shit the hell alone

It only makes people pine for the great man even more

Finck is destined for a hard time

If you have the audacity to 'replace' one of the greatest lead guitarists from one of the greatest rock n roll bands of all time, you better have some amazing shit to bring to the table (as BH showed he did) or else youre in for a torrid reception
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 01:40:02 AM by jimmythegent » Logged

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2006, 04:54:18 AM »

Good post Jimmy - pretty much nailed it there.

To all the Finck fans - no offense but if I had years 10 + and endless money at my disposal I could probably write a solo as good as the one in the The Blues. I also know that if I had all that time and money Id at least be able to play the old songs without continually messing them up.

To say hes better than Slash is absurd. If there was no Slash you'd be posting on the Crue board moaning about them instead. At least Slash could play the songs. Plus he wrote them so anyone who anyone who slates him needs to take a reality check. So what if he was drunk some of the time, Finck cant play them sober.

His continued sloppiness and lack of output (along with he rest of the band) suggests to me that they arent so much  band than a bunch of hired hands called in when Axl wants to continue tweaking the ridiculously overdue album. if they were such a tight unit then we'd be on album 3 by now.

Before everyone starts saying 'Oh you hate Guns, go to the VR board wa wa wa' Im an Axl fan (why, I dont know) and look forward to hearing what this album will sound like.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
tonya_ytzerman
tiger
Rocker

Her Most Evilness

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2006, 05:31:55 AM »

a) you misspelled Robin's last name in your youtube search (it's "Finck", not "Fink")
b) I find this video of Robin much better Grin
c) for the record: I love Robin love

[size=0]shiftless when i'm idle[/size]
blueheart
Rocker

Demy C.S.I.

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2006, 05:53:07 AM »

robin is good... real good... stop being stuck in the past... he deserves a lot more respect than he gets... and that is the only truth

mick
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2006, 06:48:27 AM »

U dont get deemed a guitar GOD and  Rock hero without earning it.

Finck is nothing as long as he makes his living playing Slash and izzy's guitar parts.

Until then, he wont.

DING DING DING DING DING

We have a Winnah!!!

beer
blueheart
Rocker

Demy C.S.I.

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2006, 07:02:52 AM »

U dont get deemed a guitar GOD and? Rock hero without earning it.

Until then, he wont.

DING DING DING DING DING

We have a Winnah!!!

beer

so that means that Finck doesn t play good songs such as better, madagascar, there was a time, chinese democracy, irs etc... you have only heard him playing old gnr songs? wtf? get a grip...

CD2006
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2006, 07:09:58 AM »

here are my thoughts on robin finck. i liked this guy ever since i saw him perform at rock in rio in 2001, and watched an entire board community, with a few exceptions, bash robin finck for his appearance, his playing, everything. this went on for YEARS. now, in 2006, when robin has changed his looks and stepped his game up as far as playing the solos goes, he received praise from the very same people who even referred to him as a "fag", just months earlier. this sickens me. i remember telling my sister about robin finck and how happy i was that he was in the band in 2001, no way in hell am i going to accept that people who bashed him senselessly now also call themselves his fans. that's my personal opinion. robin finck rocks, as does axl rose. think of it like this. if axl rose came out in 1986, and didn't quite know how to use his voice to reach its full potential yet, and people would say "what a fag, what the fuck are these guys doing with this talentless fag on vocals", and then, if axl a year or two later came out with a much better voice and changed his appearance, those same people would say "oh this guy rocks, i'm a fan of his singing". would that be right? fuck off and stop jumping the bandwagon. if you're a true fan, you're a fan from the first time you hear? or see the artist.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2006, 07:33:14 AM »

That's bullshit if they gave you 3 negative karma points just because you don't like Bumblefoot, that's your opinion.

I've learned in the past 2 days that this forum is not the place for open expression and opinions. ?Its a fascist styled, tightly controlled environment. ?In other words: if you say anything negative about the current lineup, you are almost sure to be given negative karma points. ?There's obviously a direct influence from upper management prevelent here on this forum. ?I had two threads locked just because I said Axl's voice wasn't as strong now as it was in the early 90's. ?Even though I'm totally correct, because it could potentially hurt interest in the new lineup, it didn't take long for the thread to be locked. ?I'm on several messages boards, and this is the first forum I've seen where fascism is the rule of law. ?I've seen some strict forums in my time, but this forum might as well be considered Merck's blog, because if you don't fall in line, you'll be ostricized and eventually banned more than likely.

You hit the nail on the head with that one..

Origen
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2006, 07:46:30 AM »

U dont get deemed a guitar GOD and? Rock hero without earning it.

Until then, he wont.

DING DING DING DING DING

We have a Winnah!!!

beer

so that means that Finck doesn t play good songs such as better, madagascar, there was a time, chinese democracy, irs etc... you have only heard him playing old gnr songs? wtf? get a grip...

Has CD been release yes or no? He isn't going to get praise from the general public by songs they've heard him playing live and that's it. Once CD is released and if there are great parts on by him then he will get the deserved praised until then he won't because like I said he isn't goign to get critical acclaim just from playing unreleased songs live.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: