Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 12:06:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228025 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  UYI: The single disc that should have been (from RS.com)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: UYI: The single disc that should have been (from RS.com)  (Read 7206 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 11:34:19 PM »

With the album released on one disc there would inevitably be some good songs left off.  Locomotive is one of the greatest GnR songs but they didn't even have it on their list
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 02:15:29 AM »

I'm so thankful that GNR released two discs instead of just one. We would've missed out on so many amazingly fantastic songs.

Here Today . . .
destroier
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 04:07:54 AM »

1. Civil War
2. Dust N? Bones
3. Bad Obsession
4. Don?t Cry (Original)
5. Right Next Door to Hell
6. Bad Apples
7. November Rain
8. You Could Be Mine
9. Yesterdays
10. Pretty Tied Up
11. Garden of Eden
12. Estranged

What? No My World?! They're crazy!
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 04:30:53 AM »

1. Civil War
2. Dust N? Bones
3. Bad Obsession
4. Don?t Cry (Original)
6. Bad Apples
7. November Rain
8. You Could Be Mine
9. Yesterdays
10. Pretty Tied Up
11. Garden of Eden
12. Estranged

No Coma? No 14 Years? No Locomotive? No Don't Damn Me? No DTJ? No Perfect Crime?

I'm not saying that an album with that setlist would suck, but we would have missed alot of fucking amazing tracks.

I agree. And where is the amazing Garden?  Huh And how can be place here for Yesterdays, Right Next or even Bad Obsession, DN'B and Don't Cry  Lips Sealed? Tastes are different.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 04:39:13 AM »

1. Civil War
2. Dust N? Bones
3. Bad Obsession
4. Don?t Cry (Original)
6. Bad Apples
7. November Rain
8. You Could Be Mine
9. Yesterdays
10. Pretty Tied Up
11. Garden of Eden
12. Estranged

No Coma? No 14 Years? No Locomotive? No Don't Damn Me? No DTJ? No Perfect Crime?

I'm not saying that an album with that setlist would suck, but we would have missed alot of fucking amazing tracks.

I agree. And where is the amazing Garden?? Huh And how can be place here for Yesterdays, Right Next or even Bad Obsession, DN'B and Don't Cry? Lips Sealed? Tastes are different.

Yeah.. tastes are very different. I personally think that there is no bad tracks on UYI. There is good tracks and amazing tracks, and there is no way I could shrink the track list to fit in to a one cd.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2006, 05:10:57 AM »

Yeah, since the double album concept failed so miserably and ended GN'R's career back in '91, that single disc is what they should've rleeased instead.

Hopefully, the writers at RS will stick to writing about bands and not managing them. Ever.
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2006, 07:52:51 AM »

No ones mentioned no Live and Let Die!, What were they thinking?
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 08:06:55 AM »

my world is the only song i would rif off the albums, although i only consider it as an outro!

i still cant see slash and co "real digged" it like axl says

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 09:02:28 AM »

Breakdown and Locomotive beat Coma hands down. They are way catchier. Coma is cool, but it's a Slash-fest, just long for sake of being long.
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 09:07:46 AM »

i disagree, coma has alot of song changes, it isnt long just for the sake of it or it would stay in the same modd all the way through the song, but in coma there is alot of changes as in most GNR songs

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2006, 09:09:46 AM »

How anyone can complain about GNR releasing more tracks - is there anyone out there that would have preffered just 12 tracks?

I'd rather they released everything they did - and decide for myself whats 'good' and 'bad', rather than have the band never give me the chance to hear it

a stripped down UYI would have eliminated most of my favs from those albums

There is no such thing as too many tracks

Quick! To the bandwagon!
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2006, 09:14:02 AM »

How anyone can complain about GNR releasing more tracks - is there anyone out there that would have preffered just 12 tracks?

I'd rather they released everything they did - and decide for myself whats 'good' and 'bad', rather than have the band never give me the chance to hear it

a stripped down UYI would have eliminated most of my favs from those albums

There is no such thing as too many tracks

yeah agreed i mean imagine if that happened, the deleted illusion tracks would never had been heard

jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2006, 09:22:06 AM »

I'm glad they released them whether people think they are worthy or not, cuz that was my favorite band and the more material they made in those years the merrier.  I just wish they could have done a good recording of crash diet with Axl on vox....
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2006, 09:23:13 AM »

This has all been said before. Yet, nothing would persuade me to trade in my two Illussion albums for one . . .

I'll say this though . . . you couldn't find 12 songs on two consecutive albums from most bands that you would want on one disc; most just have 1 or 2 noteworthy songs per disc.

It takes most bands an entire career to amass 12 songs worth listening to again - then they go and market it as a greatest hits. GNR should take pride in the fact they could sell a Use Your Illusion Greatest Hits.
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2006, 09:41:35 AM »

I wonder how much the "UYI should have been one disc with this playlist" arguments have changed over the years - the songs on the discs have aged differently. What holds up well now, like Coma, tended to be overshadowed by songs like LALD which have since faded. I remember when the albums first came out, and when I heard them first, the vast majority of the songs were blowing people away. The filler criticisms have tended to come later (although some critics were saying it at the time).
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2006, 10:53:45 AM »

There are really only a few songs that I'd call "filler" on UYI.

If it was up to me, which it isn't, I could do without Shotgun Blues, So Fine, and Breakdown(which I know a lot of people like, but it has never worked out for me - don't dig the "Let me hear it now" Chuck D voice). Then there others that are only passable for me -Get in the Ring, The Garden, Dust n Bones.

I dn't think that you can call really call Coma a Slash-fest. There's a lot of Axl in there, and only one guitar solo. I remember reading an interview with Axl back in the day where he referred to those as some of his favorite lyrics that he'd written. Of course, he calls the whole album, "the sound of a band dying" these days.
CDesigner
Headliner

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2006, 01:18:53 PM »

i know i may get a lot of heat for this, but i think that "get in the ring" could have been an amazing song without the big rant in the middle. i know it sort of strips the song of (what is now) its entire purpose, but the melody is really, really solid IMO and might have been another huge hit for GNR.
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2006, 01:30:18 PM »

i know i may get a lot of heat for this, but i think that "get in the ring" could have been an amazing song without the big rant in the middle. i know it sort of strips the song of (what is now) its entire purpose, but the melody is really, really solid IMO and might have been another huge hit for GNR.

I agree.I LOVE the melody,but it gets almost childish with the rant.. Undecided

shit happens when you party naked
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »

UYI
12 songs
Max length 6:46 (like Paradise City)
No covers

Right Next Door to Hell
Dust N' Bones
Don' Cry (Org.)
Perfect Crime
Back off Bitch
Double Talkin' Jive
Don't Damn Me
Dead Horse
14 Years
Yesterdays
Pretty Tied Up
You Could Be Mine

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2006, 12:49:50 PM »

Yeah, since the double album concept failed so miserably and ended GN'R's career back in '91, that single disc is what they should've rleeased instead.

Hopefully, the writers at RS will stick to writing about bands and not managing them. Ever.

The double album concept certainly did not fail miserably.  I cannot substantiate this, but I've read that each album sold over 15 million copies internationally.  And while the original GN'R fractured starting with Adler, then to Izzy and finally the remainder of the band by '96, to say that the double album caused it is ridiculous. 

While its fun to think of how a single album would look, I love the fact that they released two lengthy albums.  The only song I've typically skipped is My World.  The rest, for better or worse, hold up today better than most other artists of the genre.  Axl may put the albums down, and many other people who like to say that there is too much filler, however I loved them from the day they came out and still love to listen to them today. 

I can't remember any other album release getting as much hype as UYI.  While at 14 years old I was too young for the midnight sales, I clearly remember it being the first ever album I preordered, riding my bike with one of my best friends to the local Sam Goody to pick up the albums and listening to them over and over.  The only thing for me that will outdo this is when CD is finally released!

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: