Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 07:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Finck doing scom solos (good or bad)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finck doing scom solos (good or bad)  (Read 19431 times)
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 12:35:22 PM »

He isn't trying to be Slash. If he were he would stand still and bore everyone to death.

With that statement you just showed that you have NEVER seen the original GNR live, or anything Slash has done live for that matter. I think you're confusing him with Buckethead.

Actually watch some of the last bootlegs from 1993.....Slash either got really tired from the tour or didn't enjoy his job anymore because he got really lazy on that tour.  I remember him playing half of Nightrain at Argentina on his knees.  He moved around very little during the later shows.  And even in his recent VR days he doesn't move around nearly as much as he used to. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2006, 12:36:35 PM »

He plays scom just like slash did. Why are we going here again?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2006, 12:37:30 PM »

Mike, no offense, but why start a thread that you could write all the replies to..same thing gets said every time. Some like it, some don't. It's like arguing about Republicans and Democrats, North vs South,etc.....you Yankee son of a bitch! Grin just kidding on the last part. Yours truly, Johnny Reb beer

Well I just wanted to hear what people thought, you can love a band and still give honest opinions, every review shouldn't be greatest show ever etc.. There has to be some thing off once in a while and it would be nice to hear about it..

No way dave.. Is eevryone deaf..?
He''s off on many afd tunes and NR at times
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2006, 12:38:46 PM »

It's Finck's style, which I think doesn't quite lend itself to bootlegs.

Care to explain that? It's not like people fuck around with the bootlegs to make it sound like he's fucking a solo up!

No, that's for the soundboard guys.  Tongue

What I meant was that one obviously relates to the music differently in a live setting than listening to a bootleg/SBD/official live recording. When I saw Finck live, he really seemed to bring something into the performance, which is hard to remove from that setting. Listening to the bootlegs later on, I've felt the rest of the band tends to sound pretty much the same, but Finck has something in him that's lacking in the boots more times than not.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
fishyguy
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2006, 12:39:30 PM »

Heres the thing, if Axl wanted someone who could play Slash's solos perfectly he couldve gotten a million guitar players.

Playing Slash's solos isnt a big deal anyone can play it but Axl wasnt looking for a Slash clone so he got Finck.

Finck's style is completely different from Slash and he isnt a lead guitar player as in a guitar player who's got the chops to pull off fairly challenging guitar parts.

The solos are shared by 3 guitar players mainly so no one can compare anyone to Slash. Before Slash was THE guitar now there really isnt any one guitar player that fans can latch on to like Slash.

Its blatantly obvious that Fortus and Thal are easily better guitar players and can cover Slash's solos with ease but even when they cover the solos they put their twist to it. The difference is when Fortus and Thal play it it sounds pretty awesome and when Finck plays it its excruciating to listen to.
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2006, 12:39:40 PM »

Maybe, but he toured the world for 2 and a half years man!.

And he DOES move around still, I tell you he could run from one side of the stage to the other faster than Finck, (while doing a decent ITs so easy solo)

And you know what, having thought about it. Robin Doesn't run around THAT much either!
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2006, 12:41:29 PM »

Mike, no offense, but why start a thread that you could write all the replies to..same thing gets said every time. Some like it, some don't. It's like arguing about Republicans and Democrats, North vs South,etc.....you Yankee son of a bitch! Grin just kidding on the last part. Yours truly, Johnny Reb beer

Well I just wanted to hear what people thought, you can love a band and still give honest opinions, every review shouldn't be greatest show ever etc.. There has to be some thing off once in a while and it would be nice to hear about it..

I actually think we've gotten some fairy unbaised reviews from the tour. ?A lot of them are saying it's the greatest show ever because well it's probably the only show they've been to. ?But still...a lot of reviews have said the solos slowed down the show a bit and I think that's very fair criticism. ?Some have said that the new songs haven't gotten really huge receptions and that's also expected. ?
But yeah, it's not like the person who listen and compares each and every bootleg to see if Robin missed one note on a solo or shit. ?These people go and see maybe 1 or 2 shows and it blows them away. ?I'd like to actually get a review from people that don't post on the board. ?I'm sure you'll get a similar result saying "Wow the band was really good, the solos were a little much and the new songs were cool even though I didn't really know them". ?I think that's the general concensus of the tour.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2006, 12:41:43 PM »

Its blatantly obvious that Fortus and Thal are easily better guitar players and can cover Slash's solos with ease
I've heard fortus tank on NR too

I think some of you put fortus and finck up there like guitar gods..
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2006, 12:44:27 PM »

Maybe, but he toured the world for 2 and a half years man!.

And he DOES move around still, I tell you he could run from one side of the stage to the other faster than Finck, (while doing a decent ITs so easy solo)

And you know what, having thought about it. Robin Doesn't run around THAT much either!

Yeah I think it was just the tour getting to the band.  That's a super long run for a tour with very very little breaks in it.  But I had to pull the cheap card to argue my point  rofl.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 12:47:12 PM »

I really don't care who runs or not, I am simply talking about the playing..
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2006, 12:49:22 PM »

I really don't care who runs or not, I am simply talking about the playing..

All in all to sum it up......definitely different playing styles.......Finck puts his own touches on it.....the crowd is into it.  Maybe it fits more with the heavier tone to all the kiddies in the crowd bouncing and hopping around.  Either way we accept it because it's what Mr. Rose has chosen for the band.

busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2006, 12:49:52 PM »

He plays scom just like slash did. Why are we going here again?
The difference between Slash and Finck is that the former co-wrote SCOM and the latter is only covering it.

Its not Robin's fault that the band hasn't released any music. You don't think it frustrates the new guys that they have written 3 albums worth of material and Axl won't let them play it?

Slash was great, but that was a long, long time ago.

Finck is almost the polar opposite of Slash. His brilliance comes in his stage presence and entertainment factor, not the note for note precision some people expect of a lead guitarist.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2006, 12:51:46 PM »

That is funny since not too long ago I posted a clip of Nov Rain solo and everyone thought it was Finck playing it, yet it was slash. Again you people tend to go by now Finck plays the songs live to slashs studio. Slash was very sloppy live too, and dont give me that shit he was high or drunk, he wrote the damn songs and didnt always play them perfect live.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
madagas
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2006, 12:52:10 PM »

Considering I saw Gnr 7 times with Slash, I saw him tank all his solos a few times! ok However, that is rock and roll. Errors are made while playing live and Slash was as sloppy as they come-just as sloppy as Finck. I still loved it though. Honestly, I've been to tons of rock shows and there are always errors made by guitar players. You people expect too much. It is live music. If Jimi Hendrix covered SCOM it would have mistakes. Simple as that.
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2006, 12:59:36 PM »

His brilliance comes in his stage presence and entertainment factor, not the note for note precision some people expect of a lead guitarist.

Have you seen Slash live. It's the whole package man, precision, stage presence, entertainment, crowd interaction, the works.

Slash was very sloppy live too, and dont give me that shit he was high or drunk, he wrote the damn songs and didnt always play them perfect live

Well just so you know he WAS probably high and drunk rofl Axl even said he could play a killer guitar on a lot of drugs.

And he wasnt VERY sloppy live, although he had his moments.
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2006, 01:06:28 PM »

On a side note, i would HATE to see robin finck play the estranged solos, or DTJ, he's bad enough on the songs he does cover.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2006, 01:09:40 PM »

On a side note, i would HATE to see robin finck play the estranged solos, or DTJ, he's bad enough on the songs he does cover.

Listen to TWAT on the demos, robin would play them just fine.

Elle
Headliner

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »

Considering I saw Gnr 7 times with Slash, I saw him tank all his solos a few times! ok However, that is rock and roll. Errors are made while playing live and Slash was as sloppy as they come-just as sloppy as Finck. I still loved it though. Honestly, I've been to tons of rock shows and there are always errors made by guitar players. You people expect too much. It is live music. If Jimi Hendrix covered SCOM it would have mistakes. Simple as that.

well said!

So what if a few notes get fucked up here and there, Slash used to mess a lot of notes up too.
The gig I saw last week was totally rocking and I love Fincks energy and stage presence and for me GNR would be sad without him.

'If we could take the time to lay it on the line
I could rest my head
Just knowin' that you were mine
All mine'
makane
Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2006, 01:25:18 PM »

Listen to TWAT on the demos, robin would play them just fine.
What does Robins TWAT solo got to do with Estranged and DTJ solos? Do you mean if he can pull out the "technical masterpiece" of "TWAT" solo, he can definitely pull out Estranged and DTJ?? confused

I feel sorry for Robin when Axl tries to fill Slash shoes with him. Im sure Robin doesn't really enjoy playing the old songs/didn't come to GN'R for the old songs, he'd rather play the new stuff hes made... isn't that why he "left" NIN?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 01:28:22 PM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2006, 01:27:48 PM »

Robin is fine. I saw him in Paris and he was good. I think he is a solid guitar player.
But for me, THE guitar genius?of this band is definetely Richard Fortus. He blew the whole arena away in Paris. Richard has the potencial to become the next guitar hero.?

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: