Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:00:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Where would Axl be today without Robin Finck?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where would Axl be today without Robin Finck?  (Read 11744 times)
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 04:05:58 PM »

the importance of finck to axl could be seen at Brian May's interview in 99/2000.
He says that axl called him because the lead guitarrist who was working with him (Robin) has left, and he felt very bad because he (Axl) really liked the stuff Robin did in GNR, so he called Brian to do some songs with him so he couldn't miss so much Robin Stuff.

robin left??when??

1997-1999 approximately.

During this time he went back to Nine Inch Nails, recorded "The Fragile" and toured with them.
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 04:11:46 PM »

the importance of finck to axl could be seen at Brian May's interview in 99/2000.
He says that axl called him because the lead guitarrist who was working with him (Robin) has left, and he felt very bad because he (Axl) really liked the stuff Robin did in GNR, so he called Brian to do some songs with him so he couldn't miss so much Robin Stuff.

robin left??when??

1997-1999 approximately.

During this time he went back to Nine Inch Nails, recorded "The Fragile" and toured with them.

I believe Robin left in 1999 and returned mid/late 2000.

As far as for the original question in this topic goes...See avatar and personal text.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:13:32 PM by Guns N' Neuroses » Logged
Steel_Angel
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 04:13:28 PM »

Real questions should be

"Where would Axl be without CHRIS PITMAN?"
 Angry

but i love finck, he wrote "better".
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006, 04:14:55 PM »

The real question is: Where Robin Finck would be today without GN'R?
I've nothing against him but come on, there was a guy called SLASH before him who made Guns N' Roses History. Considering he is an ok guitar player but far to be even "great", Robin is a lucky guy to be there. Very lucky.

end of story.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:17:37 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Steel_Angel
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2006, 04:17:16 PM »

The real question is: Where Robin Finck would be today without GN'R?
I've nothing against him but come on, there was a guy called SLASH before him who made Guns N' Roses History. Robin is a lucky guy to be in a band like Guns N' Roses. Not the contrary.

end of story.
yer.. just wait till CD is released buddy. he'll be bigger than Slash.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2006, 04:19:05 PM »

I've nothing against him but come on, there was a guy called SLASH before him who made Guns N' Roses History. Robin is a lucky guy to be in a band like Guns N' Roses. Not the contrary.

end of story.
He might be lucky in terms of old gnr splitting and he getting an oppurtunity to play in the band. But he certainly has earned his place witht he band and with Axl.

And he might be the same lucky guy to etch himself into the gnr history books if Chinese Democracy is the kind of album we are all hoping for...Unless you just totally diregard his contributions and say o well Slash was in the band before him...Just think Nes if Cd takes off there iwll be a lot of rock fans going to see GNr because of that goth freak named Robin Finck....That must make you sleep well at night

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2006, 04:19:47 PM »

yeah riiiiight, and Buckethead will become a guitar Hero ?rofl

Stop beeing ridiculous.

Robin is good (but not great), but in 10 years very, very few peple will know who "Robin Finck" is/was.
And Chinese Democracy will be seen as AXL's ALBUM, it's cruel but it's like that. I doubt the reviews will even mention the players on this record. They will just focus on Axl.

The only guitar player in this band who can, eventually, possibly, maybe one day, get a worldwide notorious reputation is Richard Fortus (for me). But he needs to take the Lead. If not, even him will not be remembered. Open your eyes, Slash is wayyyyyyyy too big and too mythical for any other guitar player to be remembered in this band. There is SLASH, There is IZZy, and there is all the rest who are easily replacable, switchable, like socks.

Sad but True.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:32:39 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
LaTeRaLuS
Rocker

Some say the end is near......

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2006, 04:24:33 PM »

yeah riiiiight, and Buckethead will become a guitar Hero  rofl

Stop beeing ridiculous.

Robin is good (but not great), but in 10 years very, very few peple will know who "Robin Finck" is/was.
And Chinese Democracy will be seen as AXL's ALBUM, it's cruel but it's like that. I doubt the reviews will even mention the players on this record. They will just focus on Axl.

The only guitar player in this band who can, eventually, possibly, maybe one day, get a worldwide notorious reputation is Richard Fortus (for me).

yea thats the sad reality of it
KillKurtzKids
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2006, 04:54:58 PM »

Buckethead was a show-pony guitarist. His contributions are fantastic but he was hardly irreplaceable. I seriously doubt you'll be getting many songs written by or with Buckethead. Robin, an arguably lesser technical guitarist, I'd expect to have a more Stradlin song-writing influence. Again, Izzy was a lesser technical guitarist than Slash, but I know I wouldn't want Slash writing songs for me. Robin wrote Better and thats good enough for now. Tommy wrote a few songs as a Replacement and has been referred to as 'musical director', I'd imagine he's made a weighty contribution in the creation of songs.
GNVR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2006, 04:58:09 PM »

The only guitar player in this band who can, eventually, possibly, maybe one day, get a worldwide notorious reputation is Richard Fortus (for me).

I'd have to say Ron Thal.? But that's my opinion.? He's the best out of the 3 guitarists.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2006, 04:58:14 PM »

Of course most of the focus will be on Axl but as the band puts out newer material, if its good, the band will get there due. Will they ever take over the world? Of course not. But they are already for the mosat part well repected musicians in the business. Great songs will gain fans. Old gnr fans and kids who dont know or could careless about the gnr saga. And thats a fact. If Better or any other song they release is a hit, your telling me some kid who knows nothing about GNr or slash wont latch on to this band? Stop being blind....

The only guitar player in this band who can, eventually, possibly, maybe one day, get a worldwide notorious reputation is Richard Fortus (for me). But he needs to take the Lead. If not, even him will not be remembered.
If robin looked like richard you would be saying the same garbage. So i take your comments with a grain of salt. Your all about the looks. And speaking of that, Robin doesnt even look like he did in 02 so that alone will knock off some negative responses.

It comes down to the playing. If Robin delivers more guitar solos and songs liek Better. He will make a name for himself. Case Closed

Open your eyes, Slash is wayyyyyyyy too big and too mythical for any other guitar player to be remembered in this band. There is SLASH, There is IZZy, and there is all the rest who are easily replacable, switchable, like socks.

Sad but True.
Ill tell you whats sad but true. Its sad to see a rock legend like Slash just fade off. When was the last time I heard about Slash? Or hsi band VR? When was the last big Slash debate/thread on these boards? are they even releasing a 2nd album? What happened to the crossover hit Fall To pieces? The Slash factor is slowly drifting away. Blame the  leaks and successful cohesive tour for that

Your probably too ignorant to realize this but ill try again. No way shape or form am I downplaying what SHash has done with GNR. He made himself a legend. But imo, GNr can have another successful era of music. SLash or no slash....the band as is can release a very successful album,tour and do it all over again and be at the top for a few yrs. Very easily. And not because they have the gnr name but because of the actual music. If the GNr name meant everything then why did the 02 tour fail?

Gnr will have 2 great eras of music. And theres nothing wrong with that!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:03:46 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2006, 04:58:52 PM »

Home, staring at the ceiling....
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2006, 05:05:51 PM »

the basic fan base of gnr is of the OLD line up!!!

the reason gnr have the fan base now is because of the old line up!!

and because of "new rnr" people wont see (kiddies mostly into BFMV etc) how much the old line up meant to the world and still would be if they could set aside there  diffrences

VR are more of a rock band  than G NR are!!!

if they didnt have the GNR name they would not have as much support as they do

IMO

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2006, 05:07:37 PM »

VR are more of a rock band  than G NR are!!!
what do VR do thats so much more "rnr" than gnr?

no way really?

why did the 02 tour fail then?

slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 05:12:31 PM »

VR are more of a rock band? than G NR are!!!
what do VR do thats so much more "rnr" than gnr?

no way really?

why did the 02 tour fail then?

because vr are more of a RNR sound and lifestyle!!!

YES really

because people still want to see axl

i tell anyone now, i went to see GNR because i wanted to see AXL singin!!simple as

iv seen vr play mr brownstone and its so easy and VRs version is better than GNR

all this is my OPINION

Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 05:15:51 PM »

i tell anyone now, i went to see GNR because i wanted to see AXL singin!!simple as

iv seen vr play mr brownstone and its so easy and VRs version is better than GNR

all this is my OPINION

So you dig Axl's singing but you prefer VR's brownstone & easy? With Scott in them?  Undecided
J?
Kid In The Hall
Banned
VIP

Here Since January 11th 2002

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2006, 05:16:36 PM »

Wasn't Robin Finck recommended by Matt Sorum. For being the dual gutarist with Slash.

He was in the band with Sorum and Duff for a while. So I am curious what they think of him?

Robin from what I see on his site is a very creative guy, and its a shame that people still don't give him credit when its due.

I personally think hes got a unique style and that spider / crab dance he does is pretty cool.

The thing with Slash and Velvet Revolver. Is its just straight rock, no you know uniqueness. No Led Zeppelin feel. Its just dumb ass rock 101. For some people that fine, but I am more into getting the songs more complicated and not just straight rock n roll you know. Adding different elements.

Chris Pittman seems like a guy that has to bring something important to the table in the studio. He was thanked in the Live ERA credits as I recall. If he did co write Madagascar then hes a pretty good song writer.

Fuck All Y'all
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2006, 05:17:28 PM »

all this is my OPINION

So you dig Axl's singing but you prefer VR's brownstone & easy? With Scott in them?? Undecided

SCOTT DOES THAT SONG JUSTICE MORE THAN FINCK AND CO DO THE PLAYING OF THE SONG JUSTICE

Steel_Angel
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2006, 05:17:53 PM »

VR are more of a rock band ?than G NR are!!!

IMO

i'll have what hes smoking

This current GNR fucking BLow away VR. teh fuck are you talking about?

The demos are better than anything VR has done. FACT! (you know what i mean)

fuck, we havent even heard the final version of "Better" yet!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:21:12 PM by frozen inferno » Logged
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2006, 05:19:37 PM »

VR are more of a rock band ?than G NR are!!!

IMO

i'll have what hes smoking

2/3 0f those comment are fact the vr ones is a opnion

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: