Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 10:14:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Where would Axl be today without Robin Finck?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where would Axl be today without Robin Finck?  (Read 11739 times)
Mr_Brownface
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: August 05, 2006, 03:06:45 PM »

Do you ever think about this?  Without hooking up with Robin all those years ago and working on all those killer songs, How far would Axl have gotten with Chinese Democracy.  I think Robin is very important and when I hear people bash him it brings a tear to my eye, and levi's rise.
GNVR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 03:09:44 PM »

If not Robin, it would have been someone else.  Axl Rose would have gotten just as far...
LaTeRaLuS
Rocker

Some say the end is near......

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 03:12:02 PM »

theres obviously a very good reason y axl recruited robin, we'll have to wait till sept/oct/nov to find out  smoking
Mr_Brownface
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 03:13:54 PM »

If not Robin, it would have been someone else.? Axl Rose would have gotten just as far...

You're correct, partially.  But finding somebody to work with creatively is harder than it seems.
Thorne
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 03:15:19 PM »

Yes but, apparantly, without Robin we wouldn't have "Better"...and possibly other songs Grin
But I think the same would go for the other members aswell (bar Ron...well if John 5 had turned out to be the new guitarist things could possibly have been alot different in the tour )....who knows what the band would be like today?!

If you hate Thornes then don't pick this Rose.....
GNVR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 03:19:57 PM »

If not Robin, it would have been someone else.? Axl Rose would have gotten just as far...

You're correct, partially.? But finding somebody to work with creatively is harder than it seems.

And I agree with that.? But it can, and would have been done? ok
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 03:21:41 PM »

Robin makes GN'R BetterCool

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 03:24:55 PM »

Finck has NOTHING to do with Axl's talent or success. Without Finck, CD wouldn't have been delayed anymore than it already has. The guy walked out on the band once, so to say Finck saved GNR is literally a cosmic joke. Yeah, Finck has been involved with these great songs, but when you remove BH from the music, the quality drops instantly. So an even better question would be: Where would the status of this album be if BH had never been involved? Dont answer that. More of a rhetorical question. I dont want to hijack your thread. peace

This post isnt really a Finck bash. He has done some good shit on CD. The Blues is a masterpiece, and Finck is a big part of the reason it is. beer

Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 03:42:14 PM »

He has done some good shit on CD. The Blues is a masterpiece, and Finck is a big part of the reason it is. beer
Let's wait for the release of CD before writing in praise of Finck... hihi

I'll download it !
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 03:43:56 PM »

its simple, axl would have gotten someone else!!!!

dont get me wrong i think robin has done an good job for his ability, but i think axl just would have gotten someone else

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 03:47:01 PM »

He has done some good shit on CD. The Blues is a masterpiece, and Finck is a big part of the reason it is. beer
I dont even have to hear the album to give him praise for that song. peace

busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 03:50:11 PM »

At the end of the day no one knows how much of Finck's work is on CD, and also if Buckethead did anything meaningful on the album either.
Thorne
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 03:51:20 PM »

I dont even have to hear the album to give him praise for that song. peace

100% agreed ok Grin

Yes Axl would have gotten someone else if Robin wasn't in the band....but the answer to the question is meant on a different level than the obvious....what would the quality of the songs be like without Robin (or the others)?, would the tour have been the same?, would Axl have taken a slightly different musical direction?....all questions we don't really need to think about at the moment!

If you hate Thornes then don't pick this Rose.....
LaTeRaLuS
Rocker

Some say the end is near......

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 03:52:26 PM »

At the end of the day no one knows how much of Finck's work is on CD, and also if Buckethead did anything meaningful on the album either.

its obvious from the leaks that bucketheads work was meaningful, my honest opinion is that bucket stole the show on them leaked songs
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 03:56:10 PM »

Finck was good for the band I guess, but there were other options that could easily have done as well. Finck worked out great, maybe some of the songs we love wouldn't be right or even exist without him, but look at the other side: Maybe we could have gotten different and better songs to love from someone else. Not bashing him, but proffesional creative guitarists aren't impossible to come by when you're Axl Rose.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 03:58:25 PM »

Well, if Finck isn't on the album, and BH isn't on the album, then there aint no fucking album. So I guess your wait is over.

busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 04:00:53 PM »

Well, if Finck isn't on the album, and BH isn't on the album, then there aint no fucking album. So I guess your wait is over.

Should have been t'other way round obviously.
Christian
VIP

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 04:01:54 PM »

the importance of finck to axl could be seen at Brian May's interview in 99/2000.
He says that axl called him because the lead guitarrist who was working with him (Robin) has left, and he felt very bad because he (Axl) really liked the stuff Robin did in GNR, so he called Brian to do some songs with him so he couldn't miss so much Robin Stuff.
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 04:02:56 PM »

the importance of finck to axl could be seen at Brian May's interview in 99/2000.
He says that axl called him because the lead guitarrist who was working with him (Robin) has left, and he felt very bad because he (Axl) really liked the stuff Robin did in GNR, so he called Brian to do some songs with him so he couldn't miss so much Robin Stuff.

robin left??when??

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 04:05:10 PM »

All I know is that Robin has been there for a LONG time. Where would Axl and GNR be today without Finck? Who knows. But what is known that he has brought a lot to the table and means a lot to Axl.

Its known that they have had plenty of arguments in the studio. Heck Robin even left the band. If he didnt mean anything to Axl or GNR he would have been long gone.

What you also have to realize is that there is a certain bond/chemistry between Axl and RObin. That alone has helped make the 2 work. Robin is very underated but thats Axls fault. The album isnt out yet. The world cant hear the playing and creativeness of Finck. The chemistry and bond that the 2 have developed goes a long way in rebuilding gnr. many of you groan about hired guns and any1 can be replaced. But what you dont realize is that this band works. Musically and on a social/personable level. That is why Axl can now move foawrd with the album and band.

Axl could have easily thrown boatloads of money at big time guitarists and forced it to work. But he didnt. He wanted this to be a band. Not just a musical monstrosity. And that imo is a smart thing to do. Because when that album drop and people see the new tour and songs they will realize that there is more than just guys playing in gnr. Its a band with the gnr spirit.not hired guns.

some people will embrace that. and others will hate the band even more because of that.

Robin came up with Better!...that alone is enough. But Im sure there is a shitload of more stuff that he has brought to the table. Not to mention the creativity and ideas he will bring to videos as im sure he has brought to songs and lyrics.....

I could carless how he plays the old tunes. For me he plays them just fine. But either way he will not be judged by how he plays Jungle or Rocket Queen, etc. He will be judged on Chinese Democracy and the follow ups. And thats the only fair thing to do. If you want to disregard him because he plays the old songs choppy and sloppy...thats ur loss. Then ur still wrapped up in the old tunes.

Robin, Tommy and I would even wager Pittman are the core of this band along of course with Axl. RObin and Tommy have been here since the start of the new era. They have exhibited patience,professionalism and great muscianship. Slowly they are gaining fans. And when the album drops, if its good, they will be rewarded for their hard work,dedication and patience. They deserve it the most....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: