Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 08:41:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who played what guitar parts on Appetite?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who played what guitar parts on Appetite?  (Read 6217 times)
Guigsdaddy
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: August 20, 2006, 12:37:54 PM »

Hey Now,

I'm a drummer but have always been interested in guitars espcially the duo guitar tandom of Izzy and Slah.  I was wondering iof any of you guys knew what parts Izzy played on Appetite and what Slash did?  I know Slash played all leads.  Specifically on songs life Paradise City and Brownstone who played the main riffs?  I heard a quote a while ago that Slash and Izzy never doubled up and played the same parts like a lot of two guitar bands do?  Can someone who knows guitar just give me some isnight, because I've been such a fan of the guitars on Appetite for a long time.  I think that Illusion minus a few Izzy written songs are just heavy metal and Matt Sorum really does ruin a lot of it. 

Thanks

Guigsdaddy
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 12:48:34 PM »

Listen with the right speaker - its Slash. Izzy is on the left one. It will helps to know who played what...

Also, some leads like Nightrain first solo and some of Think About You were played by Izzy.

darkmonth
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 12:49:42 PM »

Quite often Izzy and Slash played counter riffs ... riffs that work with each other but aren't the same.  Maybe based similar.  Listen to Jungle... Nightrain etc for much of this.

Most of the time, Izzy can be found on the left channel of the stereo sound, and Slash on the right.  It's 99% of the time fixed like that.  Then licks and riffs added on, and solos, you'll find that most of them are Slash.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 12:53:04 PM »

It's quite easy to differentiate. Slash's parts are all in one speaker. Izzy's are in the other. Slash's lead parts are in the centre. Anyway:

Welcome To The Jungle

Slash plays the intro. Then a Slash and Izzy both join in, Izzy playing mostly single notes and Slash playing power chords. They both play different versions of the main riff, Izzy slightly higher. In the verse, Slash just plays the low notes of each chord while Izzy plays the higher notes. Slash plays both solos.

It's So Easy:

Both Izzy and Slash play different versions of the main riff again. Slash plays a lead thing on the higher strings in the chorus and the arpeggios in the bridge. Slash plays both solos.

Nightrain:

I read that Izzy wrote the lead part in the riff while Slash came up the chord part. But live it seems to be the other way around with Slash playing the higher strings part. The verse and chorus they play very similar parts, again in different speakers. I think Izzy played the first half of the first solo, with Slash taking over after that. Slash plays all the solo live. The outro solo is all Slash.

Out Ta Get Me:

Think Izzy wrote the riff then Slash joins in playing the exact same riff. He plays the lead part that then comes in. They play mostly the same rhythm parts although Slash plays some unison bends in the bridge. He also plays the solo.

Mr. Brownstone:

Slash play the legato version of the main riff. Izzy plays the same riff but in the second bar he uses power chords instead of the single legato lick. Apart from that they play mostly the same parts with slight variations. Slash plays the solo.

Paradise City:

Intro by Slash. They both play the heavy chords. Think Izzy plays the F Chord an octave higher. Not sure. For the main riff, a GnR trademark. Slash plays the low notes of the power chord on the sixth string. Izzy plays the two higher notes of each power chord. The two guitars together form one power chord. Similar to the verse in Welcome To The Jungle. Slash plays the solos. In the "so far away" bridge Slash plays a cool lead lick while Izzy plays chords underneath.

estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 01:04:01 PM »

My Michelle Slash plays the arpeggios at the start and Izzy plays a lead thing over the top. Riff kicks in they both play main riff then Slash plays a sleazy lead lick over the top. Slash solo.

Think About You - Never seen them playing this song live so hard to know. It's Izzy's song though. Solo doesn't seem typical Slash, could have been Izzy. Who played the leads in the intro and after the first verse is hard to know, I'm guessing Slash. I love the acoustic thing in the chorus, again I don't know who played it. The verse they both play pretty much the same rock n' roll type riff.

Sweet Child O' Mine. Slash plays lead throughout the song. For the verse he plays clean arpeggios whereas Izzy plays a more distorted rhythm. During the chorus they both play similar rhythm parts underneath Slash's lead parts. There's an acoustic in there but dunno who played it.

Your Crazy they both play similar parts throughout again, except for Slash's leads.

Anything Goes they're are a couple of different guitar parts, again I never seen them play it live dunno for sure who played which. Easy to guess though. Slash played solo.

Rocket Queen Izzy plays chords while Slash plays some sleazy lead over the top. They both play the same parts for chorus and riff. Slash plays both solos again.

Mr_Brownface
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 01:58:33 PM »

Does anybody have info on who wrote which riffs, etc on which songs off of Appetite?
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 02:09:11 PM »

slash doesnt play all the first solo of nightrain alone live....

izzy does play it. or gilby in that case.

as for think about you, i think the solo there is izzy, he played it live in norway though.

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 02:23:10 PM »

Does anybody have info on who wrote which riffs, etc on which songs off of Appetite?

Well the songwriting credits on this website are a good place to start. Go to the opening page, click releases, then Appetite For Destruction.

Slash

Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Sweet Child O' Mine

Izzy

Nightrain
Think About You

Duff

Paradise City

Not really sure about the rest I think Izzy wrote most of the others, Out Ta Get Me, My Michelle, etc. But that's just going from the songwriting credits on this site.

codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 02:26:27 PM »

..i go all edgy when the old band is mentioned.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 02:27:12 PM »

I just watch the live shows to see who is doing what ,especially with all the close ups they do when a certain person is up..
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 04:19:50 PM »

Well the songwriting credits on this website are a good place to start. Go to the opening page, click releases, then Appetite For Destruction.

Slash

Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Sweet Child O' Mine

Izzy

Nightrain
Think About You

Duff

Paradise City

Not really sure about the rest I think Izzy wrote most of the others, Out Ta Get Me, My Michelle, etc. But that's just going from the songwriting credits on this site.

slash didn`t write it`s so easy.....   i don`t think he wrote the other songs, but he was an important part to say the least.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Origen
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 04:25:15 PM »

Slash

Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Sweet Child O' Mine

Izzy

Nightrain
Think About You

Duff

Paradise City

slash didn`t write it`s so easy.....? ?
it's so easy that's a Duff song, I can't remember if he wrote it with Wes or not but it's so easy is deffiantly a Duff song.
darkmonth
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 06:17:40 PM »

Izzy stated in an interview that in virtually all his songs, he just formed a chords based song, with Slash coming in and writing the riffs for them.  Slash also wrote some of the songs from scratch too.  Jungle for instance.

I remember an interview where the guys said Izzy played him a song... a slow, drawn out acoustic chords based tune, and only a few moments in, did the interviewer realise that Izzy was playing Pretty Tied Up.  Very slow.  It's how he wrote it.  Slash came in, and made it into the rock monster it is on the Illusions album.

Smiley
elevendayempire
Rocker

...Now I know you better...

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 03:37:58 AM »

I read something about a session guitarist playing on... Rocket Queen, I think it was, and they couldn't be bothered to get Slash to re-record the part. Any truth to that?

SG
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 04:57:10 AM »

^ No that ain't true..

Izzy stated in an interview that in virtually all his songs, he just formed a chords based song, with Slash coming in and writing the riffs for them.? Slash also wrote some of the songs from scratch too.? Jungle for instance.

I remember an interview where the guys said Izzy played him a song... a slow, drawn out acoustic chords based tune, and only a few moments in, did the interviewer realise that Izzy was playing Pretty Tied Up.? Very slow.? It's how he wrote it.? Slash came in, and made it into the rock monster it is on the Illusions album.

Smiley

^ 2001 Izzy interviewed by Mick Wall:

It's been a long time since we last did this - 12 years, to be precise - but suddenly here he is, larger than life: Izzy Stradlin, Ex-Guns N' Roses, ex-drug addict, but still, in his own way, as defiantly maverick as ever: sitting in a hotel room in London, looking tanned and healthy and sipping camomile tea. He has a plugged-in electric guitar balanced on his knees. Is he going to play us a song? Yes, he is. He picks it up and begins strumming. At first I don't recognize it, then it hits me: 'Pretty Tied Up', one of his own from 'Use Your Illusion II'. He starts singing: "I knew this chick... lived down on Melrose..." Axl sang it on the album, of course. But that lazy Midwestern drawl belongs entirely to the guy who wrote it, the one with the low-slung 'tood and the cigarette dangling from his gob.

All the same, '117' was followed by another long silence, broken by last year's Japanese-only release, 'Ride On'. As if to make up for lost time, however, his latest album, 'River', is just the first of two albums he plans to release this year. (The other is an all-acoustic affair featuring former Rolling Stones and Faces keyboardist Ian MacLagan, who also appeared on 'Ju Ju Hounds'). Though his own material sounds markedly different from GN'R, he insists that is' not his style of writing that's changed, more that "I'm allowed to do the songs the way they were originally written now".

"In Guns N' Roses, I would come up with an idea for a song [starts playing simple chords] and the first thing that would always happen was Slash getting hold of it and going chunka-chunka-chunka!" He hacks out a blur of agressive riffs. "I'd be going, OK, it's already changed a little bit. Then Axl would come in and go, 'We've gotta do more lyris, we've gotta have more vocals, more back-ups, let's layer this'. So by the time it was finished it was like, holy shit! What a monster!"

IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 05:03:50 AM »

Here's another interesting piece of that interview

Interestingly, when I remark that it must feel like strange timing, to be here promoting his own album, just as Axl is powering up for the next GN'R opus, he disagrees. "No, it's perfect timing."

How so? Has he heard it? "Not a note. I'd like to hear it, actually."

How does he feel though knowing it's being said as a Guns N' Roses album?

"Well, it's obviously not Guns N' Roses. I think all the fans [know that]. It's not even right that he uses the name, because he's the only guy
. I think ultimately it's gonna work agaist him because people are gonna say fuck you, wanker - that's what they'll call him here, right? 'You fucking wanker, that's not Guns N' Roses!' Hopefully, the maniac's good, cos if the music isn't good then he's gonna get the double-whammy..."

A hypothetical question then: Axl's [solo] album flops, and he offers you all the chance to get back together - just like Aerosmith and Sabbath - would you do it? I mean, assuming Axl would be... "broke?" he cuts in, laughing. "I could hear the call." Goes into gruff Axl impersonation: "'You know, I've been, ah, thinking'. He talks really slow when he gets an idea like that. 'Aahhh, I've been thinking...' And I'd be thinking, 'He must be broke'," he chuckles. "That's how I imagine the call would go."

He said the band still get hopeful promoters trying to tempt them back together with promises of enourmous wedge. "Oh, yeah. Around the big millenium hype, for sure." Is he ever tempted? "Yeah, why not?" he chuckles, "A [one-off] gig would be easy, I'd think."

What about an album, though? Now he really does laugh.

"Well, you know what? It's funny cos like me, Duff and Slash - we could go in and make a Guns N' Roses record in a week. basic tracks. [But] vocals and leads [instrumentation] could take God knows how long..." [/i]

When he plays live now, he shies away from playing Guns N' Roses songs.

"In the 80's, the band just struck a nerve. But since I left, I've never played any Guns N' Roses songs. I played in Japan one time with Duff and we tried 'Paradise City' but we couldn't do it and keep a straight face."

What if Axl turned up and wanted to sing something?

"If Axl was in town and wanted to do 'Paradise City', we'd say fuck, yeah! We'll play it if he'll come up and sing it."

Tongue
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 05:06:16 AM by IzzyDutch » Logged
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 05:59:17 AM »

Slash

Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Sweet Child O' Mine

Izzy

Nightrain
Think About You

Duff

Paradise City

Uh. As far as I know Duff and West Arkeen wrote Easy, Slash and Izzy wrote Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, SCOM and You're Crazy, Slash and Duff (maybe with Izzy...) wrote PC. Slash wrote Jungle and Out ta Get Me, Izzy wrote Think about You, My Michelle and Anything Goes (with Chris Weber). Not sure about Rocket Queen, I guess it's a Slash/Izzy/Duff collabo.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 07:24:27 AM »

Rocket Queen Izzy plays chords while Slash plays some sleazy lead over the top. They both play the same parts for chorus and riff. Slash plays both solos again.
The opposite. Izzy plays some licks, while Slash plays the chords.

michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 08:20:22 AM »

A funny thing about Izzy's playing that I've always noticed is that what he's playing in one verse isn't necessarily what he plays in another. He changes up what he does all over the place. I think it's part of what made GnR sound so on the edge all the time. There was this great rhythmic ebb and flow.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 09:35:11 AM »

Slash

Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Sweet Child O' Mine

Izzy

Nightrain
Think About You

Duff

Paradise City

slash didn`t write it`s so easy.....? ?
it's so easy that's a Duff song, I can't remember if he wrote it with Wes or not but it's so easy is deffiantly a Duff song.

Yeah but remember Axl's interview earlier this year. Duff and Wes had come up with a kinda hillbilly version. Then one day Slash and Axl started performing a rock version of the song. So I suppose both Slash and Duff could be credited as having wrote the riff.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: