Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 06:30:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  I was PM'ed from a mid level lakey at Geffen (not earth shaking)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: I was PM'ed from a mid level lakey at Geffen (not earth shaking)  (Read 4532 times)
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« on: August 23, 2006, 09:51:22 AM »

Hey folks,

I haven?t had much to say lately, to be honest I have been doing some Alpha testing for the new Lord of the Rings MMO. Anyway, on another popular band website who share the Geffen label I asked a known Geffen employee whether CD would happen this year or not. I know he works for Geffen, this is a fact, I can assure you. Here is a copy of my question and his response, it is barely news at all but in my opinion it is as close to official as we will likely get for a while.

My PM to him:

Oh My Choking Soul
Fan

? ? ?(No subject)
? To: HuhHuh on: August 22, 2006, 12:58:15 PM ?? ? ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know you?ve ignored my PM?s about this subject before but in light of my recent MP3 upload to you I figured you may be more generous. What is up with the new GN?R album? Any hope for November?

VTY,
James

His response:

HuhHuh
n00b

? ? ?(No subject)
? To: Oh My Choking Soul on: August 23, 2006, 15:32:55 PM ?? ? ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL do you ever quit? What makes you think I know anything about this? Ever think that?s why I was not responding? Well, first off the guys involved aren?t talking about this at the water cooler or anything. What I do know is that there have been problems that have still not been overcome. Don?t get too excited and you won?t be disappointed. This probably doesn?t help much, but what I can say is that it is pretty late in the year for the date not to be officially set internally. BUT how many November, December releases do you know about, probably not too many? So technically it isn?t TOO late for something to happen this year.

That's it. Sorry that's all I have.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 09:52:56 AM by Oh My Choking Soul » Logged

Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 09:56:08 AM »

Oh, also I replied saying

"Is it possible they may spring the date on you guys immediately before sharing it with the media?".

He has not responded to date. Probably because it is a dumb question with an obvious answer of "Yeah, that's possible."

This guy is very particular on how a question is asked. The only reason he talked to me is because I uploaded some very rare studio tracks from the Whirlwind Heat. (which is not the board he frequents, if I told you guys what board he frequents you may badger him and I would lose a very cool source that I plan on sucking up to in the future)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 09:58:54 AM by Oh My Choking Soul » Logged

themovieaddict.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 10:08:47 AM »

Well, that's actually very disheartening. I knew it was late in the year not to announce a release date to the PUBLIC, but if what he says is true - and a release date has not even been set internally with the company itself - Chinese Democracy will almost certainly not be out this year. Record companies do not plan a release for a $13 million + album in a matter of a couple months. If a release date isn't set by next month we're definitely looking at early 2007 at the earliest.  Angry
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 10:13:42 AM »

Well, that's actually very disheartening. I knew it was late in the year not to announce a release date to the PUBLIC, but if what he says is true - and a release date has not even been set internally with the company itself - Chinese Democracy will almost certainly not be out this year. Record companies do not plan a release for a $13 million + album in a matter of a couple months. If a release date isn't set by next month we're definitely looking at early 2007 at the earliest.? Angry

Well, to be fair there may be several dates being debated, maybe one date has been set, but maybe they have not shared it amongst the general staff yet. You know if they did someone would spill the beans.

Who knows what "officially set internally" means? That's my problem with his response, anything I get from it is merly conjecture.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 10:16:01 AM by Oh My Choking Soul » Logged

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 10:14:43 AM »

i think we can start ruling out 06 for the album...Spring 07 it is  ok...I mean, no, wait, a summer release makes more sense...Summer '07 it is ok Roll Eyes

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 10:18:43 AM »

i think we can start ruling out 06 for the album...Spring 07 it is? ok...I mean, no, wait, a summer release makes more sense...Summer '07 it is ok Roll Eyes

I hope you're wrong. I have been a GN'R fan since before there was a nuber 1 single and I have been lurking here since early 2005. I used to visit occasionally back in '02 and even I'm getting tired of this. I can't imagine you folks that have been here since the advent of the friggin' internet. That's some die-hard shit right there.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 10:23:49 AM »

I hope you're wrong. I have been a GN'R fan since before there was a nuber 1 single and I have been lurking here since early 2005. I used to visit occasionally back in '02 and even I'm getting tired of this. I can't imagine you folks that have been here since the advent of the friggin' internet. That's some die-hard shit right there.
same here...Ive been here since 00/01 and the ups and downs are killer. I too cant imagine being a fan since the old days. Those fans are probably just numb. So it might not be as bad. But its bad....

It just sucks because every dam time you think they are gonna put it all together Axl dissapoints. And the more I think of this, the more I think it might be true.... Remember when Baz said in some interview that Axl knows hes blowing everyones mind...I think he likes it this way. It might be true. WHo knows.

Either way it just real lame,boring, disappointing , and  frustrating  that they will embark on another tour without a single,album, or any kind of info regarding either. Especially since the 02 debacle. Whatever

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
GNFNRAXL
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 11:36:17 AM »

Hey folks,

I haven?t had much to say lately, to be honest I have been doing some Alpha testing for the new Lord of the Rings MMO. Anyway, on another popular band website who share the Geffen label I asked a known Geffen employee whether CD would happen this year or not. I know he works for Geffen, this is a fact, I can assure you. Here is a copy of my question and his response, it is barely news at all but in my opinion it is as close to official as we will likely get for a while.

My PM to him:

Oh My Choking Soul
Fan

? ? ?(No subject)
? To: HuhHuh on: August 22, 2006, 12:58:15 PM ?? ? ?

I know you?ve ignored my PM?s about this subject before but in light of my recent MP3 upload to you I figured you may be more generous. What is up with the new GN?R album? Any hope for November?

VTY,
James

His response:

HuhHuh
n00b

? ? ?(No subject)
? To: Oh My Choking Soul on: August 23, 2006, 15:32:55 PM ?? ? ?

LOL do you ever quit? What makes you think I know anything about this? Ever think that?s why I was not responding? Well, first off the guys involved aren?t talking about this at the water cooler or anything. What I do know is that there have been problems that have still not been overcome. Don?t get too excited and you won?t be disappointed. This probably doesn?t help much, but what I can say is that it is pretty late in the year for the date not to be officially set internally. BUT how many November, December releases do you know about, probably not too many? So technically it isn?t TOO late for something to happen this year.

That's it. Sorry that's all I have.

I'd like to know what are the problems that he is talking about that hasn't been overcome.  If 06 goes down without an album this lineup of GNR will never be taken seriously and Axl will never be taken seriously again.  This is so pathetic.
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 11:40:17 AM »

i'm not numb - sure it gets very trying sometimes - but this year has been one of the best in a long while. ?we've heard new songs, I've seen GnR 5 times - each time was fkn incredible and over the whole 2 months of the tour, I wasnt really even thinking about when CD would come out - just how I would get enough ? together to see them again before they fk off back to america for the foreseeable!

If we had had no interviews, nor songs/gigs this year, I dont doubt that I would be feeling pretty gutted though.
estranged.1098
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 12:10:09 PM »

same here...Ive been here since 00/01 and the ups and downs are killer. I too cant imagine being a fan since the old days. Those fans are probably just numb. So it might not be as bad. But its bad....

It just sucks because every dam time you think they are gonna put it all together Axl dissapoints. And the more I think of this, the more I think it might be true.... Remember when Baz said in some interview that Axl knows hes blowing everyones mind...I think he likes it this way. It might be true. WHo knows.

Either way it just real lame,boring, disappointing , and  frustrating  that they will embark on another tour without a single,album, or any kind of info regarding either. Especially since the 02 debacle. Whatever

What makes you so sure the album is not coming out this year?
PrettyTiedUp763
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 01:24:11 PM »

The guy really didn't say anything new. I am just still keeping my fingers crossed.
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 02:02:35 PM »

This is the way I feel. I flew to New York from california in support of gnr's kick off tour to Europ. Now I hope the U S Tour is as successful as the European Tour was so Axl and Co. will release something real soon. 

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
veritas55
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 02:08:07 PM »

the chances of it being released this year are indeed dramatically lower if not internal date has been set.  what that geffen wrote is absolutely correct: technically, it still could have a November release date to hit the Xmas market, but the reality is that there are usually MONTHS of internal planning for marketing, manufacturing, solidfying artwork -- and, like movie releases, companies try to set dates early to make sure that there are not two identical releases very close to each other (like you wouldn't plan a Tool release to coincide with a GnR release).  In any event, a release of this caliber (and cost) is not something that Axl just drops off at Geffen and it comes out a couple of months later.

now, keep in mind the "problems" this guy alludes to could well be contractual/legal issues.  remember, interscope/geffen and universal music group all went through some dramatic re-shufflings over the past years and you can bet the geffen (and its successor company) doesn't want to share the proceeds to recoup the $15M cost.
 sounds like bad news, but who knows . . . .
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 02:09:39 PM by veritas55 » Logged
themovieaddict.com
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 03:40:51 PM »

Yes, and especially considering the fact that this is THE most expensive album EVER made, you can bet your ass that Geffen isn't going to push a release date this far towards the end of the year - unless we get a release date very, very soon! And even then, it would be a HUGE gamble on their behalf. I could see an album of this magnitude being given at LEAST six months' notice before being released. Expecting something to drop in November MAY happen, but each passing day without any word from the band, the company, or anyone else makes it seem less realistic.

I really do hope it's out this year - I had a real "gut feeling" since early 2005 that 2006 would be some big year for GN'R, but now I'm starting to think the tour was it. Axl did initially say a fall '06 release, but keep in mind Axl also said 1999 would be the year at one point. And he told Rolling Stone we'd hear music this year - well, we did, didn't we? We heard lots of music on their tour. Technically speaking, Axl wouldn't have been lying by saying this.

Oh well, fingers crossed!  peace
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 03:43:28 PM »

Fake
GNFNRAXL
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 03:45:41 PM »

Fake

Thanks again Mysteron.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 03:46:10 PM »

Well, that about covers it then.  Lock this or something.
EFISH
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 03:49:12 PM »

I dont get it. This is the biggest and best couple months of this new band ever and litterally not even ONE mention of CD, besides that Trunk interview. If it was still set for 'late' fall, we would have heard that again. But instead, nothing. I'm starting to.. [eh whats the word] not beleieve that the album had made any progress this year at all
Shirell
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 03:53:16 PM »

I'm not getting excited oh no.... no
themovieaddict.com
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 03:54:19 PM »

Well, that about covers it then.  Lock this or something.

Wait. You're going to rely on the word of an anonymous alleged insider versus another alleged insider? I fail to see the logic there. People are anonymous on the Internet. Anyone can claim to be an insider.

I'm not bashing Mysteron or saying I don't believe him - but I don't like trusting ANYONE on the Internet unless they are a verified source. That's why I, personally, take 99% of all GN'R "news" with a grain of salt - including this post.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: