Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 05:14:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  There is (almost) no competition
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There is (almost) no competition  (Read 17788 times)
benchiefjr
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 08:39:32 PM »

were the contraband demos as good as the CD leaks?

IMO, "Slither" (the final product...I have not heard any demo's by VR so I can't compare) is just as good as "Better," perhaps a little lower in my opinion if only because Axl is much better than Weiland. Slash is much better on "Slither" than the 3 GN'R guitarists are on "Better," though. I'd say that overall Chinese Democracy sounds better than Contraband from what I've heard so far of CHIDEM.
Robin's solos make me hard...i'm not afraid to admit it.  The only VR solos that i love are Fall to Pieces and You Got No Right.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 09:03:50 PM »

IMO, "Slither" (the final product...I have not heard any demo's by VR so I can't compare) is just as good as "Better," perhaps a little lower in my opinion if only because Axl is much better than Weiland. Slash is much better on "Slither" than the 3 GN'R guitarists are on "Better," though. I'd say that overall Chinese Democracy sounds better than Contraband from what I've heard so far of CHIDEM.
Robin's solos make me hard...i'm not afraid to admit it.? The only VR solos that i love are Fall to Pieces and You Got No Right.

that is wayy too much info nervous and frankly quite scary

robinfinckfan
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 09:04:26 PM »

Robin's solos make me hard...i'm not afraid to admit it.? The only VR solos that i love are Fall to Pieces and You Got No Right.

rofl
Dude, Robin Finck is amazing on the leaks, nothing short of just pure bad assinis ( yea that's a word)
The only competition that's going on with this record is if Axl wants to make this record the shit or if he wants to make this record something else that's better than the shit. Everyother record released in the last 6 years is going to sound like garage records made by pre-teens
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 09:06:00 PM by robinfinckfan » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 09:06:00 PM »

There is no competition.

Nuff said.............
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 09:07:40 PM »

There is no competition.

Nuff said.............

The Toads are coming out with an album.

Watch out.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2006, 09:21:58 PM »

Robin's solos make me hard...i'm not afraid to admit it.  The only VR solos that i love are Fall to Pieces and You Got No Right.

rofl
Dude, Robin Finck is amazing on the leaks, nothing short of just pure bad assinis ( yea that's a word)
The only competition that's going on with this record is if Axl wants to make this record the shit or if he wants to make this record something else that's better than the shit. Everyother record released in the last 6 years is going to sound like garage records made by pre-teens

The guitar lick at the beginning of "Better" is catchy, but at the same time it's kind of harsh and annoying. I could see how some folks would get annoyed by it and turn off the song before getting to the cool part where the band starts jamming. The solo is badass, but didn't Buckethead do the main solo (shredding one)?. Robin did a great job on "Better," but I just think "Slither" has a little bit more catchiness to it with the guitar work by Slash. That being said, "Better" has Axl singing it, which gives it big bonus points when compared with Weiland singing "Slither." Weiland just sucks ass and Axl is the effing man.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2006, 09:27:07 PM »

IDK i think better is fucking awesome the way it is

robinfinckfan
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 09:28:46 PM »

rofl

The guitar lick at the beginning of "Better" is catchy, but at the same time it's kind of harsh and annoying. I could see how some folks would get annoyed by it and turn off the song before getting to the cool part where the band starts jamming.

rofl rofl The cool part rofl rofl
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 09:32:47 PM »

LOL you know what I mean. If you think the guitar lick at the beginning isn't a little harsh, then I've got ocenfront property in Arizona to sell you. After the intro licks, the song goes from sorta catchy to effing badass.
benchiefjr
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 09:43:38 PM »

Velvet Revolver = typical cock-rock

Guns N' Roses = Different styles, doesn't really sound like anything out right now.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006, 09:47:28 PM »

Guns N' Roses = Different styles, doesn't really sound like anything out right now.

LOL, funny that you mention that though. Didn't GN'R start out as typical cock-rock in the mid to late 80's? They did it better than anyone else has EVER done it (and that is an understatement seeing as how AFD is probably the best album of the 1980's while having completely "trashy" lyrics). But, GN'R evolved with UYI and like you mentioned, the leaks and live songs like Maddy have an interesting contrast between hard rock and epic rock.
robinfinckfan
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 09:59:25 PM »

LOL, funny that you mention that though. Didn't GN'R start out as typical cock-rock in the mid to late 80's? They did it better than anyone else has EVER done it (and that is an understatement seeing as how AFD is probably the best album of the 1980's while having completely "trashy" lyrics). But, GN'R evolved with UYI and like you mentioned, the leaks and live songs like Maddy have an interesting contrast between hard rock and epic rock.

Axl pushed slash's boundries and I would love to hear what he could of done to CD, though Robin is the man and I wouldn't have this lineup anyother way. This album is gonna be the next stage to UYI. It may not sell like UYI but I don't expect it too.

GnR was never cock rock and i would love for you to say that to axl. Whatch the 88' ritz show and tell me if you think that's cock rock
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 10:05:48 PM by robinfinckfan » Logged
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 10:12:01 PM »

Axl pushed slash's boundries and I would love to hear what he could of done to CD, though Robin is the man and I wouldn't have this lineup anyother way. This album is gonna be the next stage to UYI. It may not sell like UYI but I don't expect it too.

GnR was never cock rock and i would love for you to say that to axl. Whatch the 88' ritz show and tell me if you think that's cock rock

The definition of cock rock on Wikipedia lists GN'R as the second band right after Queen. Cock Rock has to do with whether the lyrics are sexist or talk about sex (AFD definitely does...apparently you haven't listened to "Rocket Queen" or "Anything Goes" lately or maybe you haven't heard "You Could Be Mine" [paricularly the LIVE version where he goes 'and I'll leave you lying on the bed with your ass in the air!']). In fact, it's not necessarily a negative term unless it's being used by a feminist or something or if you're talking about the average 80's hair metal band. But Wikipedia lists Queen, Bad Company, GN'R, and Aerosmith. I would even say Led Zeppelin could be included (just listen to "Whole Lotta Love" and "The Lemon Song" if you need a couple of perfect examples). GN'R was the best cock rock band ever in my opinion, but that doesn't mean that they had Bob Dylan's level of significance with their lyrics or anything. They were the most skilled musicians since Led Zeppelin in my opinion, but like Zeppelin their lyrics were pretty freakin' silly to be honest (which is just fine with me since Zeppelin and GN'R are my two favorites of all time).
robinfinckfan
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 10:13:47 PM »

The definition of cock rock on Wikipedia

Your killin me. beer
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2006, 10:18:46 PM »

The definition of cock rock on Wikipedia

Your killin me. beer

OK, whatever (and I do believe you're looking for the term "you're" as I just used it).

You can be a delusional fanboy all you want. I love GN'R, but at least I fucking recognize when I see male chauvinism in its purest form (AFD). I love that album, but not really for the lyrics. Same goes for pretty much everything Zeppelin did. GN'R and Zeppelin are two of the most talented bands ever, but they had plenty of cock rock elements in their style. And as Wikipedia's article shows, that's not a bad thing if some of the best bands ever (AC/DC, Queen, GN'R, Aerosmith, Bad Company, Van Halen...) are considered part of the genre.

robinfinckfan
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 10:22:33 PM »

like Zeppelin their lyrics were pretty freakin' silly to be honest

Thanks for  helping me with my grammar gnrfan2008 Wink

But look at what i'm dealing with..

fanboy...maybe.. But i'm just quoting what your saying ok
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2006, 10:26:08 PM »

Yeah, you're welcome. Apparently you didn't learn your lesson though.

And what was wrong with calling Zeppelin's lyrics silly? Have you listened to most of their stuff? It's silly as hell. I love it, but I'm also realistic to not worship it, unlike most Beatles fans out there who think the Beatles' lyrics were the best thing ever. Dylan is one of the only mainstream artists in the last 50 years to put out meaningful lyrics IMHO.

robinfinckfan
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2006, 10:37:13 PM »

Thanks for? helping me with my grammar gnrfan2008 Wink

And what was wrong with calling Zeppelin's lyrics silly? Have you listened to most of their stuff? It's silly as hell. I love it, but I'm also realistic to not worship it, unlike most Beatles fans out there who think the Beatles' lyrics were the best thing ever. Dylan is one of the only mainstream artists in the last 50 years to put out meaningful lyrics IMHO.

I did that one on purpose smoking

No, I just crawled out the cave today..never heard of these cock bands you hear about on  :rofl:wikipedia hihi.
but you the man, you say GnR wrote silly lyrics and yet I still respond.  You call me a fanboy and yet i still respond
this is  a thread about competition and yet i still respond. were the only two responding because everyone else is smart enough not to respond to your stupid dumb ass bullshit.

Axl wrote silly lyrics.... i'm just dumbfounded on that. Zeppelin have some of the best silly lyrics i've ever heard in my life. idk what else to say.

Damn wikipedia gets me everytime Cry

GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2006, 10:40:59 PM »

I did that one on purpose smoking

No, I just crawled out the cave today..never heard of these cock bands you hear about on  :rofl:wikipedia hihi.
but you the man, you say GnR wrote silly lyrics and yet I still respond.  You call me a fanboy and yet i still respond
this is  a thread about competition and yet i still respond. were the only two responding because everyone else is smart enough not to respond to your stupid dumb ass bullshit.

Axl wrote silly lyrics.... i'm just dumbfounded on that. Zeppelin have some of the best silly lyrics i've ever heard in my life. idk what else to say.

Damn wikipedia gets me everytime Cry

From an entertainment standpoint, Zeppelin and GN'R both have cool lyrics. From the standpoint of actually MEANING something (like a piece of Classical literature or something), their lyrics are silly compared with the likes of Dylan. Just go listen to "Masters of War" and then listen to "Rocket Queen" and maybe you'll understand what I'm talking about. Axl's busy singing about sex. Dylan's busy telling everyone how crappy our leaders are. One is very entertaining. One is very thought-provoking. Both are cool in my book. Facts are facts though. Zeppelin and GN'R both wrote silly lyrics. That's a fact.
PrettyTiedUp763
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2006, 11:55:24 PM »

I must say that GNR is picking a very good time to release the album. The music scene, to me, is DEAD! Hopefully they can knock a little life into it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: