Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:36:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Incorrectly labeled demo songs.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Incorrectly labeled demo songs.  (Read 12663 times)
31illusions
I am the coolest guy I know
Rocker

Axl, slash, duff, izzy & steven. The true GN'R!

« on: September 05, 2006, 10:41:19 PM »

Just another sunday
Bring it back home
Too Much Too Soon
Crash diet
Ain't Goin' Down

Why are these songs Thought to be recorded in "1990"? Most labels I seen say that. But I have seen a few that state that they were recorded around 1986. These songs must have been recorded in 1986. The production value is too bad for it to be in 1990. surely GN'R could afford something better than a drum machine after the success of AFD? Besides doesn't West arkeen play guitar on these tracks? So in my opinion the labels that say these were recorded in 1990 are wrong. Any thoughts?

There you go, negative karma for you for being a troll. I'll give gandra negative karma as well. Happy now?  Next time you try this behavior will be the last. keep that in mind.

/jarmo
Crazyman
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:47:04 PM »

surely GN'R could afford something better than a drum machine after the success of AFD
Your right, they could have. But Adler was so fucked up at the time, it took him at least 60 takes to get the drumming for Civil War right, so it wouldn't come as a shock if they used a drum machine before they hired Sorum.
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 11:55:34 PM »

Even worse - Sweet Lorraine

This probably will get moved to Appetite for collection

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
31illusions
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 12:00:01 AM »

This probably will get moved to Appetite for collection

It shouldn't. It is a discussion thread, it contains no links for d/l. But i bet the fans in Appetite for Collection probably would be more interested in this thread. I thin k it's a good one.  Grin

There you go, negative karma for you for being a troll. I'll give gandra negative karma as well. Happy now?  Next time you try this behavior will be the last. keep that in mind.

/jarmo
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 12:09:46 AM »

I believe these songs were referenced many times in interviews during the recording sessions. They're UYI demos, no doubt.

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
31illusions
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 12:20:15 AM »

They're UYI demos, no doubt.

There is no way C.D. BIBH, TMTS and JAS were UYI demos. That is not even slash on guitar. A drum machine? C'mon? Listen to Bring it back home, if that were slash on guitar I would renounce my love for GN'R right now. Gn'R could do better on those songs even on their worst day.

/jarmo
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 12:43:08 AM »

They're UYI demos, no doubt.

There is no way C.D. BIBH, TMTS and JAS were UYI demos. That is not even slash on guitar. A drum machine? C'mon? Listen to Bring it back home, if that were slash on guitar I would renounce my love for GN'R right now. Gn'R could do better on those songs even on their worst day.
We know that the band worked on their own songs independantly before bringing them to the rest of the group, there would be no reason for the entire band to record a GNR demo for songs which got shot down on the first listen. I think it's Wes Arkeen on guitar for the Wes/Axl tracks like Crash Diet, probably Duff on guitar for his stuff, and so on. There's probably more accurate info on the main site  hihi
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 12:43:34 AM »

West Arkeen played guitar on Crash Diet - he was never a member of GNR to begin with.

To me, those songs sound like very very rough takes - done in a few minutes to get a rough idea to see what they sound like on tape. I stand by my belief that they are UYI demos, and until I see concrete proof otherwise, I won't change my mind.

EDIT: Found this in the articles section on the main site:

The mystery surrounding the packaging of the new Guns material simply fortifies the uniqueness of this entire project. What is for certain is that there are 36 songs - finished, recorded, mixed and ready for release. And the consensus in the band is that they would like to get all the stuff out to their fans at one time, or as close to one time as possible. The extensive track list runs the full gamut of rock music styles, from massive epics like "Coma," "Breakdown," "The Garden," "Estranged" and "November Rain," to bluesy, melodic, yet crunchy rockers like "Dust and Bones," "Pretty Tied Up" (featuring vocals by Izzy Stradlin), "Bad Obsession," "Yesterdaze," "Bad Apples" and "So Fine" (bassist Duff McKagan takes over lead vocals on this one), to balls-to-the-walls slammer like "Locomotive," "Ain't Goin' Down," "Right Next Door To Hell" (an ode to Axl's troublesome next-door neighbor), "Back Off Bitch" and "Shotgun Blues."
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:46:57 AM by BurningHills » Logged

31illusions
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 01:31:32 AM »

balls-to-the-walls slammers like "Locomotive," "Ain't Goin' Down," "

Well, I will admit  Ain't goin' Down could be from UYI era. Because it contains all the members playing instruments and a REAL drummer. I only included it because i really could not tell who is playing drums, Steve or Matt. So let's go ahead and take "AGD" out of the equation. Now do you think songs like "senimental movie" is a UYI era song to? These songs are to poorly produced to be from UYI. If it has a drum machine I'm Pretty sure it's from pre-appetite days.

/jarmo
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 01:43:38 AM »

But they still had real drummers pre-AFD.

There WAS a time (haha..) in '89-'90 when Steven was fired and before Matt, hence no drummer.

A drum machine would fit in rather nicely, eh?

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 01:58:20 AM »

surely GN'R could afford something better than a drum machine after the success of AFD
Your right, they could have. But Adler was so fucked up at the time, it took him at least 60 takes to get the drumming for Civil War right, so it wouldn't come as a shock if they used a drum machine before they hired Sorum.

Hahah, Adler was replaced by a drum machine Grin But you really got a point here. And maybe these demos were just some shit they didn't really pay attention to and didn't want to develop them so badly.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 06:28:40 AM »

The Bad Obsession demo had a drum machine too. Plus the quality is real shitty, so I can see some of those songs from the UYI sessions.
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 11:51:33 AM »

These songs are to poorly produced to be from UYI. If it has a drum machine I'm Pretty sure it's from pre-appetite days.
Depends where and how they were recorded, surely? Granted, some of them seem too poorly produced to come out of any pro studio at any time but it's hardly uncommon for professional musicians to keep some sort of recording equipment around. What happens if you come up with a new song on tour? You have to record it on something.
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 11:56:33 AM »

No way dudes!  Those songs are super-old!  Illusion demos my ass!  I thought they were recorded at Rumbo studios in 1986.  Don't Cry was the first song ever written, and Bad Obsession was written BEFORE Mr. Brownstone.  These demos are WAY old.  There is another version of Ain't Goin' Down that's from the Illusion era though.

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 12:04:58 PM »

Here you go:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/misc/recordingsessions.html

Issue resolved.
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 12:05:44 PM »

i always thought they were tracks they didnt want for illusions, but after hearin crash diet i changed my mind

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 12:19:34 PM »

Don't Cry was the first song ever written
Yes. Johnny Neanderthal and the Thumbless Wonders first played it at the dawn of man. Unfortunately, they would never recieve the due credit as recording technique had yet to catch up with their talent. The best they could do was scream the song into a cave and then roll a big rock over the opening to "trap" the song inside. Of course, cave-trapping your song was only good for one playback, and there was always a big reverb problem. 
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 12:23:32 PM »

i always thought they were tracks they didnt want for illusions, but after hearin crash diet i changed my mind

I know for a fact that the demo of Aint Goin' Down (with vocals) is from the Illusion era. Just Another Sunday was recorded around that same time, I think 1990. The other songs are from a few years earlier I think. I wish we had all of these songs in KICK ASS sound quality because I would love to crank up Ain't Goin' Down loud as fuck, for my whole neighborhood to hear. I may be in the minority here, but that's one of my favorite songs from the Illusion era and I really wish it would have made the albums.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »

Don't Cry was the first song ever written
Yes. Johnny Neanderthal and the Thumbless Wonders first played it at the dawn of man. Unfortunately, they would never recieve the due credit as recording technique had yet to catch up with their talent. The best they could do was scream the song into a cave and then roll a big rock over the opening to "trap" the song inside. Of course, cave-trapping your song was only good for one playback, and there was always a big reverb problem. 

I really hate to double post, but that's funny shit right there. I read it and was thinking, "What is this fucking dude on?" Then I read the quote and realized the humor behind it. Funny, funny shit, nice one.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
31illusions
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 08:39:43 PM »

Posted on: Today at 12:04:58 PMPosted by: 25?

Here you go:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/misc/recordingsessions.html

Issue resolved.

This didn't resolve much at all. Because it says under "unknown demo dates" which includes Crash diet, JAS and TMTS and more.

Posted on: Today at 11:56:33 AMPosted by: WhatIsItMan?

No way dudes!? Those songs are super-old!? Illusion demos my ass!? I thought they were recorded at Rumbo studios in 1986.? Don't Cry was the first song ever written, and Bad Obsession was written BEFORE Mr. Brownstone.? These demos are WAY old.? There is another version of Ain't Goin' Down that's from the Illusion era though.

^^This dude knows what he's talkin' about!? ?ok

BTW: That list did include a song called "Down on the street"? A cover of The stooges song... i didn't know GN'R did that!? Anyone have this song? ? I hope so!

/jarmo
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: