Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath Thread  (Read 175715 times)
RichardNixon
« on: August 30, 2004, 02:07:25 PM »

Anyone here a Sabbath fan? While most critics cite the first four (or six) albums as being classics, I am more partial to the more obscure Sabbath albums. Maybe just because I've heard "War Pigs" and "Children of the Grave" one too many times.

I really like the last album with Ozzy "Never Say Die!," the sole Ian Gillian album "Born Again," the final Dio album "Dehuamizer" and "Cross Purposes" of the Tony Martin era.

Also, Sabbath is the one other band besides GN'R that has toured and recorded with only one original member.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 02:12:52 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Dizzy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 05:58:27 PM »

I agree about "War Pigs" and "Children of the Grave".  It's gotten to the point where I can't stand those songs, because they're so overplayed.

"Megalomania" is their best song and its album, Sabotage, is their best album, full of great songs such as "Symptom of the Universe", "Hole in the Sky", and "The Thrill of it All".

Also, Sabbath is the one other band besides GN'R that has toured and recorded with only one original member.

Actually, the Rhondels tour currently with no originals, only a guy who replaced an original back in the 1970s.  It's akin to Matt Sorum touring using the name Guns N Roses.   hihi
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 06:44:56 PM »

I don't think I could ever hear 'war pigs' or 'children of the grave' too many times. I have never been partial to anything after the first 5-6 albums. But those 5-6 are some of my favorites.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Chris Misfit
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 07:20:06 PM »

Black Sabbath are the most under-rated band in the world man. They have loads of great albums, that are awesome to the max. Man, I wonder if anyone else likes them?

Ozzy is like a god, and oh so funny. Oh my god, I just think like "Wow man, jeez, you're cool, haha" when I see him on TV.

Anyway, I'm going to start another few threads of musical jibberish. Why? Because I'm boring. Like, haha.

AWESOME TO THE MAX, YOU GUYS!
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 11:56:11 PM »

Yeah, I can't stand "War Pigs" or "Iron Man", the second one especially.  Played WAY too often.

Sabbath is one of those bands I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy.  In terms of 70s hard rock giants, I was always more of a Zeppelin fan than Sabbath.  But the Sabs are good to listen to on dark days, Halloween, and autumn.

I always thought that Ozzy was a really boring live performer in early Black Sabbath TV clips, though.  He just stands there.
RichardNixon
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 12:16:00 AM »

To be honest, I think that Ozzy is a mediocre talent. His voice was perfect for Sabbath, but he isn't a great singer or songwriter. Tony Iommi is the real creative force behind that band. I actually think that the post Ozzy Sabbath albums are a lot better than Ozzy's solo stuff. Although Ozzy's first two albums are classics, and "No More Tears" is very good, the rest have about two good songs a piece, with a lot of filler.
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 01:27:10 AM »

Yeah, I can't stand "War Pigs" or "Iron Man", the second one especially.? Played WAY too often.

Sabbath is one of those bands I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy.? In terms of 70s hard rock giants, I was always more of a Zeppelin fan than Sabbath.? But the Sabs are good to listen to on dark days, Halloween, and autumn.

I always thought that Ozzy was a really boring live performer in early Black Sabbath TV clips, though.? He just stands there.

He just stood there?Huh Have you ever watched a Black Sabbath concert?? if you havent, then do yourself a favor go and get the "Never Say Die" live Concert from 1978 on dvd, What A Show Dude!!!!!!!
Ozzy was and still is  a fuckin' Psycho!!!  He moves like a motherfucker he bangs his head like there's no tomorrow !

I dont know whats the deal about listening to war pigs , iron man or maybe paranoid if u cant stand it anymore......i mean Black Sabbath got a lot of good  stuff to listen to. For instance "The Writ" , National Acrobbat Fluff, Spiral Architec and the list goes on man.

I used to listen more Led Zeppelin than Black Sabbath But then i realized Black Sabbath were far beyond in immagination, creativity musically , lirically speaking! They Were The Real Shit! The didnt waste their time , or music singing shit about how beautiful is that girl or about love one another, they talked about that but in a real way. it was the other side of  Music ,Love And the World.
 yes

If the world would end today... Wink
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 02:06:44 AM »

He just stood there?Huh Have you ever watched a Black Sabbath concert?? if you havent, then do yourself a favor go and get the "Never Say Die" live Concert from 1978 on dvd, What A Show Dude!!!!!!!
Ozzy was and still is  a fuckin' Psycho!!!  He moves like a motherfucker he bangs his head like there's no tomorrow !

I've seen three pieces of footage of Black Sabbath live.  Two of them were performances on some Dutch TV show in the early 70s, where they performed "Paranoid" and "Iron Man" against a psychedelic background, and the other one was just some early live footage of them playing "N.I.B."  You're right, Ozzy bangs his head a little.  But that's all he does.  In all the footage I saw, Ozzy just stands there at the mike singing the whole time without moving.  He only moves during the guitar solos, when he walks around the stage a little bit banging his head.  But not like a maniac, more like he was just grooving to the beat.  I found it all pretty disappointing.  I don't know what people talk about when they saw Ozzy was a maniac on stage.  I don't think he got that way until his solo career, or at least maybe in the later years of Black Sabbath.  It's too bad...he sounds really wild on record, but on stage (at least in early footage) he's a statue.

Personally, I like Ozzy's solo stuff better than Black Sabbath.  I mean, the Sabs have got the spookier presence and everything, the real earthy sound.  But solo Ozz is more up my alley, probably because it's more pop-metal and I love that shit.  High-flying guitar solos, more varied sounds on record, and more catchy rockers and ballads.  And Ozzy moves around like he always should have.  Mind you, I love both acts.  But Ozzy was even better solo.

I dont know whats the deal about listening to war pigs , iron man or maybe paranoid if u cant stand it anymore......i mean Black Sabbath got a lot of good  stuff to listen to. For instance "The Writ" , National Acrobbat Fluff, Spiral Architec and the list goes on man.

Yeah, I don't listen to any of those songs you mentioned anymore (except for Paranoid...you can never get sick of that song).  I recently got into Black Sabbath again when I heard "Sabbra Cadabra" somewhere...awesome song, with one of Ozzy's best vocal performances.  I've been looking to find the remastered Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album, but I've only been able to find the original.  It sounds cool....I heard the album experiments with keyboards and orchestras, and I love it when artists experiment.

I used to listen more Led Zeppelin than Black Sabbath But then i realized Black Sabbath were far beyond in immagination, creativity musically , lirically speaking! They Were The Real Shit! The didnt waste their time , or music singing shit about how beautiful is that girl or about love one another, they talked about that but in a real way. it was the other side of  Music ,Love And the World.
 yes

Hmm...interesting.  I never looked at it that way before.  Well, I guess that's really the contrast between the two bands.  To paraphrase John Lennon in Yer Blues..."Zeppelin was of the sky, Sabbath was of the earth."  They're both great bands, and they sort of provide two opposite ways of being heavy, 70s-style.  Zeppelin did the screaming hard rockers, arty experiments, and prototype power ballads, while Sabbath did the dark underbelly of lyrical subject matter, the dirty blues sound, and the plain and simple headbanging.
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 08:39:43 PM »

Ozzy could stand there if he damn well pleased - he didn't need to to karate kicks in the air to get attention

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Dizzy
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 09:40:02 PM »

I'm the biggest Ozzy fan on the planet, but Mattman is right about the early Sabbath days; Ozzy wasn't much of a frontman at first.  But DEAD HORSE is correct about the Never Say Die DVD.  That was 1978, and Ozzy is a maniac on that one, and he has remained so ever since.  I saw Black Sabbath live a month ago and Ozzy hasn't lost a thing.  He's as energetic and dazzling as ever.

Ozzy was only 21 when Sabbath hit the big time, and I don't think he knew much on how to be a frontman then.  Of course, we must all remember that the standards for frontmen were different then.  The most the world had seen at that point was Elvis twisting his hips, and the world thought that was the best thing since sliced bread.  So Ozzy didn't have a whole lot to learn from back then, he had to develop his wild ways on his own, which he did.

Oh yeah, just to mention it, GNR covered "It's Alright", but the superior Black Sabbath original can be found on the Technical Ecstasy album.  Bill Ward sings it.
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 01:18:42 AM »

Hey Dizzy! you know, i have always thought that Ozzy was never "the frontman" in ways that Mick Jagger, Steve Tyler , or Freddie Mercury were , you know, These people knew how to act , how to talk , how to look "cool" in front of an audience, in the other hand we got Ozzy Osbourne the Anti-Frontman , The Anti-Cool showman, The Anti-stage perfomer, but that doesnt mean he is boring as a performer , you know he is energetic in his own way, he feels the music , he seems to act  like a child sometimes, you know and thats cool because sometimes he looks like a fool, but you know its Ozzy!  He aint Rob Halford lookin bad in leather (wich i love)  but Ozzy is more natural than you imagine dudes. Ozzy is more real , and that makes me think , he is the real shit , he is not trying to act cool , he is not bullshitting his fans!  yes

If you watch "Reunion"dvd you  can see what im talkin about , and let me finish with this one, I know this has nothing to do with, but do u guys remember when Guns N Roses perfomed at the Vma 2002 ? ....at the end of paradise city Axl began to run and slide on the floor from side to side like kids do, when i saw that the first thing to came on my worried mind was Mr OZzy Osbourne live acting.

Peace Brothers!  peace

Long Live Black Sabbath!!!

If the world would end today... Wink
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 02:10:52 AM »

Of course, we must all remember that the standards for frontmen were different then.? The most the world had seen at that point was Elvis twisting his hips, and the world thought that was the best thing since sliced bread.

Hey, nothing wrong with that!  All rock frontmen derived from two sources - Elvis Presley and James Brown.  You can especially see the James Brown influence in Mick Jagger and Robert Plant.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 02:23:21 AM »

anyone know the complete line-up changes from Sabbath, i think they went through like 3 singers or something.

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
RichardNixon
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 10:19:41 PM »

anyone know the complete line-up changes from Sabbath, i think they went through like 3 singers or something.

I think Sabbath has had about 10 singers, if you count all of their singers, including the ones they didn't record with. As for singers that they recorded with they have had five singers: Ozzy, Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillian, Glen Hughes, and Tony Martin.
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 01:42:50 PM »

I loved sabbath with ozzy and dio, but i liked both singers when they went solo a lot more. The only sabbath album i need is Sold my Soul for Rock N' Roll and ill be very happy....wait..I do have it!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!  peace ok  beer

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
youngerformofaxl
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 01:12:24 PM »

I just got a box set of Black Sabbath and have been amazed by the music espeically Paranoid. Now, I haven't listened to Technical Esctasy and Never Say Die! all that well but I think Paranoid is my favorite album by them.

So, I was wondering what is your guyses' favorite Ozzy-Era Black Sabbath Album?
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 01:21:37 PM »

I love ozzy era sabbath. Some of the best music ever. It's pretty close with me between paranoid and master of reality. They're both great.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2004, 03:23:39 PM »

It's pretty close with me between paranoid and master of reality. They're both great.

yeah same here + the first album...first 3 albums are greatest...80s era sabbath  no

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2004, 04:34:21 PM »

Never understood the appeal of Sabbath - they ain't bad but they are remarkable average to my ears, best album would be 'Paranoid'.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2004, 05:53:43 PM »

yeah same here + the first album...first 3 albums are greatest...80s era sabbath? no

But that's without ozzy...

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: