Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:31:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Coma Vs Estranged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coma Vs Estranged  (Read 8781 times)
feestybaby
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2006, 11:13:07 AM »

ESTRANGED GRABS COMA BY THE HAIR AND BENDS IT OVER... ok
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2006, 11:15:52 AM »

ESTRANGED GRABS COMA BY THE HAIR AND BENDS IT OVER... ok

confused

Don't write that ever again.
Calcy
Rocker

He's baaaaaaaack!

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2006, 11:58:02 AM »

Estranged for me by quite a way.
Red Sox Fan
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2006, 12:17:57 PM »

Estranged, but Coma is such a close second  ok
AtariLegend
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2006, 12:20:40 PM »

I said Coma before, but now I'm changing my religion to Estranged.
moondance_1
Headliner

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2006, 10:03:46 PM »

two of my fave but Coma just does it for me,always has always will.i'll be old and rocking in a chair on my porch telling the grand kids get my gn'r cds and play dead horse and coma.

Frankly,My Dear...........
a.
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2006, 10:59:43 PM »

If I had to choose, 'Estranged'. Has a lot more personal "things" to it for me. 'Coma' is great too, but I've never been that fucked on drugs or booze, so I can't related. Relationships are a fucker though!

a.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2006, 11:17:58 PM »

Hmmmm... Growing up Estranged used to be my favorite song of all time for many, many years. Nowadays though, I hardly ever give it a listen and I don't really have a good answer as to why.  I prefer a lot of other GN'R songs now over Estranged. Coma has always been a favorite of mine but without the ending that Axl wrote himself, the song would just be "ok".  So at this moment, sitting here today, I would have to pick Coma. I love the live versions and for me, the live versions of Estranged just never did the studio version justice at all.  Don't get me wrong, I love it played live and I would love to see it live with this new band, but there was just something missing from the live version every time I heard it.  I think Axl might actually be able to perform that song better now, than he used to be able to.  God, thinking about these two songs just made me realize how long it's been since I listened to anything by the old band. I haven't listened to any studio albums for months or even any of the complete collection of live shows I received a few days ago. All I've listened to is this new band and all the boots and demos over and over.  Fuck it I guess.  Maybe I'll go and give Estranged a listen for the first time this year...

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
WhosGilby?
Rocker

Now we all know better!

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2006, 12:42:08 AM »

Coma

So bitersweet this tragedy Won't ask for absolution
This melody, inside of me Still searches for solution
BluesGNR
The Liberator
Legend

Here Today... Out for Lunch

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2006, 01:14:41 AM »

Estranged. 

Hands down. 

Coma rocks though and I love it, but Estranged means too much to too many people to let a rocker own it.

peace

You'll Find Your Inspiration GN'F'nR

2002: 12.6&8
2006: 5.12&14&15&17 11.5&10&13&24
2011: 11.15 12.10
2012: 2.19&24 11.17
2014: 5.13&28&30
2016: 4.1&8&9 6.23 7.1&3. 8.9&12
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »

Hmmmm... Growing up Estranged used to be my favorite song of all time for many, many years. Nowadays though, I hardly ever give it a listen and I don't really have a good answer as to why.? I prefer a lot of other GN'R songs now over Estranged. Coma has always been a favorite of mine but without the ending that Axl wrote himself, the song would just be "ok".? So at this moment, sitting here today, I would have to pick Coma. I love the live versions and for me, the live versions of Estranged just never did the studio version justice at all.? Don't get me wrong, I love it played live and I would love to see it live with this new band, but there was just something missing from the live version every time I heard it.? I think Axl might actually be able to perform that song better now, than he used to be able to.? God, thinking about these two songs just made me realize how long it's been since I listened to anything by the old band. I haven't listened to any studio albums for months or even any of the complete collection of live shows I received a few days ago. All I've listened to is this new band and all the boots and demos over and over.? Fuck it I guess.? Maybe I'll go and give Estranged a listen for the first time this year...

I hadn't heard about Axl finishing the song on his own... what's that about?

Back In Power
Kaleigh
Headliner

Fucking Off In G

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2006, 03:23:58 PM »

I hadn't heard about Axl finishing the song on his own... what's that about?

I found this on MYGNR:

Writing "Coma" on "Use Your Illusion I" was so heavy I'd start to write and I'd just pass out. I tried to write that song for a year, and couldn't. l went to write it at the studio and passed out. l woke up two hours later and sat down and wrote the whole end of the song, like, just off the top of my head. It was like, don't even know what's coming out, man, but it's coming. l think one of the best things that I've ever written was maybe the end segment of the song "Coma." It just poured out. I thanked Slash for that, because I used to curse him, going, "Man, that son of a bitch has written this thing and I've got to write to it and don't know what to write." It was so hard; it made me feel like, "l don't know how to write, I should just quit. But I finally did write it, and l ended up feeling a lot better about a lot of situations that I expressed in that song. - Axl.

And the source of this is http://hem.passagen.se/snoqalf/m-meaning3.html  I always love reading that explanation.  I can definitely relate to the feeling better about the situations that were written in the song, because I do that a lot. (putting emotions away into a song)

As for Coma vs. Estranged, it's Coma for me.  It's one of the best songs ever, and it means a lot to me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 03:43:24 PM by Kaleigh » Logged

San Francisco, CA 9/21/06
Universal City, CA 12/17/06
Mountain View, CA 10/20/12
Las Vegas, NV 11/24/12
San Francisco, CA 8/9/2016
Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2006, 03:53:30 PM »

Estranged...ohh i?m gonna listen to it right now

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
AtariLegend
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2006, 08:04:01 PM »

This is a good thread, 3pgs long and it hasn't been deleted or locked yet.

Yipee!
realtime visionary
Opening Act

Now we all know better.

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2006, 08:19:42 PM »

Coma.

Estranged's an excellent song, but (just in my opinion), more about the music than the lyrics. Don't get me wrong, the wording's good, but if you held it up as a poem in comparison to even the last minute and a half of Coma, the latter would win, hands down. Besides, the emotion that comes through in Axl's voice, starting at "But who am I to tell you" is just gutwrenching. I dig songs like that, the ones that are almost... visceral.

Knowing you, it won't change a damn thing, but there was a time...
madagas
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2006, 08:21:50 PM »

I think, artistically, Coma was Axl's and Slash's masterpiece. Slash extended himself musically with the arrangement-all the chord changes etc. Axl's lyrics were simply the best he has done-and probably ever will do. That being said, I listened to Estranged a lot more, a little easier to digest. I rarely listen to either of them now since I am a wee bit older. hihi Still two of my top five Gnr tunes. peace
mrbrownstone8797
Rocker

gnr>everything

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2006, 09:28:51 PM »

Coma is an amazing, amazing, amazing song. But Estranged is the greatest song of all time by any band.
Agreed. ok
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2006, 07:26:31 AM »

Coma

NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2006, 10:27:37 AM »

The last part of Coma and the last part of Estranged ...

Or the first parts ? Or the middle parts ?

Fuck, I love 'em both yes

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Apollon
Rocker

So bittersweet this tragedy...

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2006, 10:33:55 AM »

If I had to choose, 'Estranged'. Has a lot more personal "things" to it for me. 'Coma' is great too, but I've never been that fucked on drugs or booze, so I can't related. Relationships are a fucker though!

a.

Same goes for me... Estraned has a very peronal meaning to myself so I would choose it as my number one!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: