Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 11:23:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Oldschool approach
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oldschool approach  (Read 10157 times)
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 06:57:47 AM »

Whilst I agree with the sentiments of the original post. We have to remember that this is a business. It is quite frankly commercial suicide not to promote an album which has been anticipated for so long. The casual fan doesn't scour the internet all day looking for snipbit information, they need the media in all forms, tv, radio, press, internet to get the message that CD is out there.

Havind said that, there is a certain programme airing tonight that could air to 1.2billion people worldwide. That would make a great place to announce a release date? ? ?ok   Maybe 100million people will watch the live broadcase. Not bad advertising is it?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 07:27:36 AM by meanmachine73 » Logged

Keep em under your wheels.
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 07:37:02 AM »

How ever you dress this up, the main reason people keep coming up with these no-promotion scenarios is because the alternative is that the album just isn't ready and we've been misled again.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
seadog2006
Opening Act

I see ya standing there, you think you're so cool

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 07:51:33 AM »

There'll be lots of the old fans who will inevitably ridicule the new album.  However I see it as starting over for the band and promoting themselves almost like a new act might.  The new stuff doesn't sound like the old GnR but still sounds kick-ass from what I've heard.
RR Mafia
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 08:08:26 AM »

I like this, we are actually having a healthy disscussion.

Remember a little while ago when Merck came out against that New York times article, he said that Axl doesnt give a fuck about fame or popularity, all he wants to do is make the best possible record he is capable of so that the people who are music enthusiest and the people who are interested in Guns n Roses will have something that they can enjoy,  well I believe it.  Axl is a pure artist, If he gave a shit about selling records he would have put some out by now.   I really dont think he gives a shit about sales, he doesnt need the money that record sales are going to bring, I think he knows that no matter what he is going to sell enough records to satisfy the label.   And fuck the label, just use them to get the product out there.  Keep those motherfuckin suits in the dark as long as possible because they will hang on  his every move because he is their cash cow.  Why do you think this thing has been going on as long as it has?  Axl and the band have all the power and they are gonna do this thing the way they want, and if that means just droppin the album suddenly with no hype then be it.  Thats way cooler than doing talk shows and kissing the publics ass in order to sell a product.  Especially when the product is so bad ass that it will be impossible for the public to ignore.  I just have this feeling that once actual music hits the airwaves this thing is going to explode and it will be because the music rocks, period. ok peace
seadog2006
Opening Act

I see ya standing there, you think you're so cool

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 08:18:01 AM »

I like this, we are actually having a healthy disscussion.

Remember a little while ago when Merck came out against that New York times article, he said that Axl doesnt give a fuck about fame or popularity, all he wants to do is make the best possible record he is capable of so that the people who are music enthusiest and the people who are interested in Guns n Roses will have something that they can enjoy,  well I believe it.  Axl is a pure artist, If he gave a shit about selling records he would have put some out by now.   I really dont think he gives a shit about sales, he doesnt need the money that record sales are going to bring, I think he knows that no matter what he is going to sell enough records to satisfy the label.   And fuck the label, just use them to get the product out there.  Keep those motherfuckin suits in the dark as long as possible because they will hang on  his every move because he is their cash cow.  Why do you think this thing has been going on as long as it has?  Axl and the band have all the power and they are gonna do this thing the way they want, and if that means just droppin the album suddenly with no hype then be it.  Thats way cooler than doing talk shows and kissing the publics ass in order to sell a product.  Especially when the product is so bad ass that it will be impossible for the public to ignore.  I just have this feeling that once actual music hits the airwaves this thing is going to explode and it will be because the music rocks, period. ok peace

That's what I've always liked about Axl, he genuinely cares about the product he puts out.  Not like these cookie-cutter bands looking for fame and fortune.  If he's spent 10 years on this album, it's gotta be great.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 08:53:41 AM »

I think what Guns n Roses are  trying to do is let things happen organically.  They seem to be acting like they are an underground band and when they drop their album they want the people to come to them, instead of trying to shove it down the publics throats.  I think that is very commendible considering how big the Guns n Rose name once was.

I dont think they care if CD debutes at #1 on the charts.  I dont think they want it to hit #1 because they hyped the shit out of it.  That would be fake.  If it climbs to #1 and goes on to have a long life, than it was a success based on the quality of the record and its abillity to strike a nerve in people and not just the result of a media blitz.

This band is a real oldschool Rock n Roll band, on the road conquering one city at a time and trying to let their live show and eventually their debute record do the talking.

They just need to do their thing and everything will fall into place. peace

I agree with this sentiment. I honestly don't think Axl gives one hot fuck how the album does on the charts. I would imagine guys like Robin and Richard who seem to be very much about their love of music would be the same way.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 09:48:57 AM »

It's all well and good that Axl would want this album to do well based on actual praise and not an overblown hype machine, but in the long run it's not really up to Axl. Does anyone think that Universal/Interscope/Geffen are going to let this thing get put on Best Buy's shelves on Tuesday morning with no prior announcement? Sure Axl may be in it for the music, but the label is in it for the money.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 10:05:34 AM »

I totally agree, if its released without any hype there is no expectation for success (minus the wanna be biz execs on this site haha).  I'd rather see a weak debut followed by a long, slow burn with word of mouth/reviews carrying this thing to the top, much like what happened with AFD.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
CVBTank
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006, 10:08:00 AM »

The record company has a lot to do with publicity, because after all it is THEIR investment.  Seeing as GnR used over 13 million to record this album, I am certain that it will be hyped to give it its best shot at #1.

Perhaps Axl wants to take the "organic route", but I think the truth is this CD just isn't as close to coming out as they led us to believe.  I hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm not.
marino95
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006, 10:12:21 AM »

Everybody, stop acting like the GN'R family is U2 or Eminem, cause their not. If there's no promotion it's not as a result of the family trying to be cool or incorporate it in some master plan. It will simply be because Geffen won't give them any money for it, or that the counsel, meaning Axl, is too afraid of a backlash to be putting himself out in a major way.

You don't choose to have little promotion.
Excellent point.  Particuarly when your record company spends $15 million on your record.

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
5/28/04 VR - Wash DC (9:30 Club)
5/12/06 New York (1st show)
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
tibs
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 11:47:25 AM »

What makes you think Guns n Roses or Axl have ANY say in promotion HuhHuhHuh?/

jesus...this is Geffens/ Universal cash cow and if they want to market the snot out of it  they are gonna ...period.
Randy Jesus
VIP

This Never Happened, It's Just a Dream...

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 11:50:09 AM »

Everybody, stop acting like the GN'R family is U2 or Eminem, cause their not. If there's no promotion it's not as a result of the family trying to be cool or incorporate it in some master plan. It will simply be because Geffen won't give them any money for it, or that the counsel, meaning Axl, is too afraid of a backlash to be putting himself out in a major way.

You don't choose to have little promotion.
Excellent point.  Particuarly when your record company spends $15 million on your record.

They want their money back... They have to promote it to Number one... for an extended time period...
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 11:53:16 AM »

What makes you think Guns n Roses or Axl have ANY say in promotion HuhHuhHuh?/

jesus...this is Geffens/ Universal cash cow and if they want to market the snot out of it? they are gonna ...period.

I am so glad there are people who actually think before they post.  Axl isn't like Mel Gibson fronting the bill for Passion of the Christ.... The record company has put their money into this and they want a return on their investment. 
evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 12:27:56 PM »

Yeah but they can't promote something that doesn't have a release date.  That's where Axl has the control.

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 12:36:08 PM »

I am so glad there are people who actually think before they post.? Axl isn't like Mel Gibson fronting the bill for Passion of the Christ.... The record company has put their money into this and they want a return on their investment.?

Lets be nice,eh?  Because the fact is...your position is no better thought out than those advocating a no-promo strategy.  Less so, maybe, because those advocating no-promo are giving creative, thoughtful explanations for why.  Those poo poo-ing them are doing so strictly based on their perception of the way things run, and history.

The fact is that established artists DO have say so in promotion.  They don't have total control, normally, that's true.  But if the artist and/or their management had a good idea for an alternative marketing strategy....the A&R guys right up through the execs would give it a listen.  And, provided it made good fiscal sense, they might actually implement it.

Here's the thing...it's not like there is NO promotion going on.  There is.  It's certanly non-traditional promotion, but it's there.  Print and radio (the two most widely used promotional vehicles for music).  And the "buzz" being created is pretty noteworthy based just off that.

So, before you get nasty in shutting down some alternative ideas...maybe think THEM trough to conclusion and recognize that, until proven otherwise, they're just as viable an alternative as "the old standby" is. Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 12:37:38 PM »

? ?As cool and maybe even romantic the idea seems (old school approach). The game is just too cut throat, the stakes are too high...not only does the record company want it's return they want to make as much as they can. One comment I heard on a documentary about today's music (don't ask me what it was called) but I think Quincy Jones said "there are no suprises in todays music scene, things are all calculated, marketed, promoted as such.

?The more you think about that the more each of us has to say. it is true. All of us here are die hards, that's why we spend our time here...but in today's scene there is no time for a record to "slowly gain momentum" it would be so cool if things were like back when Zepplin released album after album with no singles at all that's awsome. Pearl Jam makes videos, Metallica sold out, Aerosmith sucks (I can't believe I said that). Even today you think Contraband is considered an old album it's fucked up, do you still hear "falling to peices" on the radio...very rarely. It falls into that void...that void that GNR songs fell into around 95-97. Not new - not yet classic.

?I think Axl has worked fuckin hard to create this huge "Mystic" associated to the GNR name. The guy has huge balls to do what he is doing, I think he is risking a lot (touring with no record) it's tough on ticket sales and shit, Changing dates, no single, no release date...hell not even a mention of the record since on tour except it will be out this year. They guy has been gone longer than Zepplin's Creative Era 68-80 that's fuckin' insane. (Except for sticking his head out vary briefly)

He could of played the game and released CD back in 98 or 99 but that wasn't and never has been Axl's scene. If that was the case they could of released the Snakepit record as the comeback album back then but he said ..no.

?It's a wild ride but that's sort of what keeps me maybe most of us so glued to this "monster" we are so emotionally connected to this thing, sticking up for the band in bad times, waiting 2 years for a picture of Axl shopping with his sister just to prove the crazy fuck hasn't dissapeared to Agrentina or something.

This album means so much to each of us we all want to figure out what the fuck is going on but we can't. No news.

My wife laughs and jokes what's with all this shit ? as if there wasn't anything else to listen to ...

This band - this singer ain't like any other band...but we aren't like any other fans either

now that I've told you how I really feel.....

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 12:37:50 PM »

Why don't they make a commerical with Better playing and have the commerical read only 8 Tues left which one is it or something like that. ?That way everyone will be going to record stores every tues just to see if its there. ?personally starting next week im going to best buy every tues till the end of the year. ?Its actually kinda of exciting.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 12:45:43 PM »

yeah good post.

and they have alot to earn, being a different line up, so many fans loving the old, they have top gain themselves there own rep that they can be as good as slash and duff in there own way.

html sucks
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 12:48:41 PM »

Ok, Appetite for Destruction wasn't a "slow-burn" by design. It just took a while to catch on because people didn't care for It's So Easy or Welcome to the Jungle at first.

Why on earth would some of you say that promoting an album is for pop music? That's beyond asinine. Some of you guys (and girls) are just making up fairy tales so you won't feel so lead-on when the album doesn't come out this year (or any year, ever).

I am so glad there are people who actually think before they post. ?Axl isn't like Mel Gibson fronting the bill for Passion of the Christ.... The record company has put their money into this and they want a return on their investment. ?

Lets be nice,eh? Because the fact is...your position is no better thought out than those advocating a no-promo strategy. Less so, maybe, because those advocating no-promo are giving creative, thoughtful explanations for why. Those poo poo-ing them are doing so strictly based on their perception of the way things run, and history.

The fact is that established artists DO have say so in promotion. They don't have total control, normally, that's true. But if the artist and/or their management had a good idea for an alternative marketing strategy....the A&R guys right up through the execs would give it a listen. And, provided it made good fiscal sense, they might actually implement it.

Those of us who are "poo-pooing" on this silly idea are just being real about this. Not promoting an album that's been in the works for 13 years, had $15million dumped into it, had 2 tours supporting it, and been pushed back 7 years would be stupid. With that much time and money going into it, they certainly can't be naive enough to rely on word of mouth.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2006, 12:59:04 PM »

Why on earth would some of you say that promoting an album is for pop music? That's beyond asinine. Some of you guys (and girls) are just making up fairy tales so you won't feel so lead-on when the album doesn't come out this year (or any year, ever).

I am so glad there are people who actually think before they post. ?Axl isn't like Mel Gibson fronting the bill for Passion of the Christ.... The record company has put their money into this and they want a return on their investment. ?

Lets be nice,eh? Because the fact is...your position is no better thought out than those advocating a no-promo strategy. Less so, maybe, because those advocating no-promo are giving creative, thoughtful explanations for why. Those poo poo-ing them are doing so strictly based on their perception of the way things run, and history.

The fact is that established artists DO have say so in promotion. They don't have total control, normally, that's true. But if the artist and/or their management had a good idea for an alternative marketing strategy....the A&R guys right up through the execs would give it a listen. And, provided it made good fiscal sense, they might actually implement it.

Those of us who are "poo-pooing" on this silly idea are just being real about this. Not promoting an album that's been in the works for 13 years, had $15million dumped into it, had 2 tours supporting it, and been pushed back 7 years would be stupid. With that much time and money going into it, they certainly can't be naive enough to rely on word of mouth.

I agree with everything you said.  Lets be realistic.... a company is going to go with what has worked for them in the past especially considering they have poured millions of their own dollars into this project.  If it wasn't such an expensive risk, I think there would be a SLIGHT possibility that they would take a chance with a 'new' advertising approach like the one the original poster mentioned.  But that would only happen if they didnt spend more than Ethiopia's GDP on this record.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: