Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 11:33:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227983 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Oldschool approach
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oldschool approach  (Read 10137 times)
RR Mafia
Headliner

« on: November 01, 2006, 11:45:23 PM »

I think what Guns n Roses are  trying to do is let things happen organically.  They seem to be acting like they are an underground band and when they drop their album they want the people to come to them, instead of trying to shove it down the publics throats.  I think that is very commendible considering how big the Guns n Rose name once was.

I dont think they care if CD debutes at #1 on the charts.  I dont think they want it to hit #1 because they hyped the shit out of it.  That would be fake.  If it climbs to #1 and goes on to have a long life, than it was a success based on the quality of the record and its abillity to strike a nerve in people and not just the result of a media blitz.

This band is a real oldschool Rock n Roll band, on the road conquering one city at a time and trying to let their live show and eventually their debute record do the talking.

They just need to do their thing and everything will fall into place. peace

ThatGuy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 11:46:56 PM »

i agree.  nice post.

imagine this, top rolled down, 4 pumps of l.a. looks in your hair, crusing down the highway, getting roadhead while jamming You Could Be Mine!
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 11:53:34 PM »

I agree too. And I like the post alot.

gnrevolution.com
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 12:15:38 AM »

I think what Guns n Roses are? trying to do is let things happen organically.? They seem to be acting like they are an underground band and when they drop their album they want the people to come to them, instead of trying to shove it down the publics throats.? I think that is very commendible considering how big the Guns n Rose name once was.

I dont think they care if CD debutes at #1 on the charts.? I dont think they want it to hit #1 because they hyped the shit out of it.? That would be fake.? If it climbs to #1 and goes on to have a long life, than it was a success based on the quality of the record and its abillity to strike a nerve in people and not just the result of a media blitz.

This band is a real oldschool Rock n Roll band, on the road conquering one city at a time and trying to let their live show and eventually their debute record do the talking.

I completely agree. Great post.  ok

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Journeyman
VIP

Not like you, unlike me...

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 12:36:20 AM »

I think what Guns n Roses are? trying to do is let things happen organically.? They seem to be acting like they are an underground band and when they drop their album they want the people to come to them, instead of trying to shove it down the publics throats.? I think that is very commendible considering how big the Guns n Rose name once was.

I dont think they care if CD debutes at #1 on the charts.? I dont think they want it to hit #1 because they hyped the shit out of it.? That would be fake.? If it climbs to #1 and goes on to have a long life, than it was a success based on the quality of the record and its abillity to strike a nerve in people and not just the result of a media blitz.

i agree, and i've been saying that since the first november release dates came out and all the speculation regarding jay-z's album and gnr's album coming out in the same day.

I think they want to be number 1 by merit, not because of the name they have but because of the genius behind the music peace

2/7/92 -  Alvalade, Portugal
27/5/06 - RIR, Portugal
30/7/06 - Wembley Arena, London
6/10/10 - Meo Arena, Portugal
7/5/16 - AXL/DC Algés, Portugal
2/6/17 - Algés, Portugal
5/6/22 - Algés, Portug
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 12:54:29 AM »

right on ok ok

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 12:57:05 AM »

i think there's some truth to this. i think they also realize there's a lot of press prepared to bash this, but they believe they have a product that will make fans and silence the criticisms.
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 12:59:04 AM »

THat has been kinda basically my feelings al these yrs, and you said it perfectly!. LEt the music do the talking, and let the success be on the stuff that matters , THE MUSiC!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 12:59:20 AM »

but they believe they have a product that will make fans and silence the criticisms.

This has been the story of GN'R since the day it was born.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 01:01:52 AM »

Well not to be Mr. Negativity, but that would be the most incredibly stupid thing they could possibly do. Bands record albums to SELL, not to see if it grows like a plant. To think otherwise is absolutely ridiculous. They would have to be insane to not hype the shit out of it.

And since when has Axl Rose, the pompous, arrogant, egotistical, self-absorbed asshole that he is, ever wanted to do things on a small scale, ie keep GNR "underground?"
italysfinest1985
Rocker

Riding on the night train...

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 01:18:08 AM »

I agree with most of the other posters...a very nice post.  yes

Guns N Roses Custom Reunion Trailer (Axl & Slash)
https://youtu.be/7NdNrNslYkU
RR Mafia
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 01:19:14 AM »

Well not to be Mr. Negativity, but that would be the most incredibly stupid thing they could possibly do. Bands record albums to SELL, not to see if it grows like a plant. To think otherwise is absolutely ridiculous. They would have to be insane to not hype the shit out of it.

And since when has Axl Rose, the pompous, arrogant, egotistical, self-absorbed asshole that he is, ever wanted to do things on a small scale, ie keep GNR "underground?"

Ok here we go, I knew it was only a matter of time.  With your description of Axl Rose you come off as a person that is very easily swayed by the things you read.

To try and make it a little clearer for you, I never said Axl wants to "keep" GnR underground.  I only implied that he wants to succeed on the merit of the record and not the hype machine.

Im sure GnR have nothing against selling a lot of records either, but try telling them that moving units is the only reason
they record music and see if you dont get a punch in the face. peace
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 01:48:43 AM »

i think the point is that the best way to sell CD might not be with heavy marketing early. that might just lead to a lot of negative buzz. they know their single will be played because they're GNR, and then when people like it, it will be requested and played more. they want the album to build a little steem so that media will think twice before bashing it. it's too easy to talk about Axl's hair, the original members, the money and time spent on CD, all kinds of things. so IF this is their approach, i think it's to make sure the focus is on the music, and not on a good story about an aging rock star.
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 02:06:15 AM »

Good Post...

all it's ever been about to me was about the music..

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 02:11:49 AM »

Everybody, stop acting like the GN'R family is U2 or Eminem, cause their not. If there's no promotion it's not as a result of the family trying to be cool or incorporate it in some master plan. It will simply be because Geffen won't give them any money for it, or that the counsel, meaning Axl, is too afraid of a backlash to be putting himself out in a major way.

You don't choose to have little promotion.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
P014r
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 02:12:18 AM »

LOL nothing about the album chinese democracy or this new band could really be considered "organic"

everything about them is over contrived, not a flame just an observation
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 02:24:26 AM »

Ok here we go, I knew it was only a matter of time.? With your description of Axl Rose you come off as a person that is very easily swayed by the things you read.

To try and make it a little clearer for you, I never said Axl wants to "keep" GnR underground.? I only implied that he wants to succeed on the merit of the record and not the hype machine.

Im sure GnR have nothing against selling a lot of records either, but try telling them that moving units is the only reason
they record music and see if you dont get a punch in the face. peace

I don't know Axl Rose personally and neither do you, so I can only judge him based on what I've seen. In 20 years, he's done nothing but come across as a pompous, arrogant, egotistical, self-absorbed asshole. And that's one of the reasons why I've been a GNR fan for 20 years (the other being their music, of course). If he's anything other than that, he's done a wonderful job of hiding it.

What purpose would it serve to sign with a record label if your goal wasn't to sell your music? If their goal was to just be a band that played songs, then they'd just play songs (although that does seem to be all they do anyway). If their goal was to just get people to hear their music, then they'd do free shows and give away cds.

It's ridiculous to say, "oh maybe Axl doesn't want to make money, he just wants people to love his music." Ask the record label execs how they'd feel about not promoting an album that's had millions $$$ dumped into it. They may not punch you in the face, but they'd sure as hell laugh in it.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 02:25:38 AM »

I like the way you make that sound.  But 2006 is much different then 1988.  You need to let people know that there is a great record on its way, or it'll simply be downloaded.  I'm sure it will be downloaded anyway, but if the public knows that GN'R put time and effort in this album they will respect it even more.
slunksoma
Headliner

Here Today...Gone to Bed

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 06:00:16 AM »

I'd like to agrre with this post too. you made a good point there. Appetite didnt smash the top ten straight away, infact it was in a pretty obscure posistion to begin with and it was the bands touring and personality that made people buy. (that an SCOM). UYIs stuck around because of the immense touring GnR did and not jus ton the strength of the album so I think Axl know what he is doing. No point hving lots of promotion becuase that just makes you a target for the press (and hes already a big enough one). Release the album, let people who like it like it then get on the road and persuade the others.
 ok
slunksoma
Headliner

Here Today...Gone to Bed

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 06:06:55 AM »

I also think that of course GnR want to sell a billion copies of this album-but in the right way and to not to just whore themselves out to the media. They want to do it the rock and roll way-not the pop music way-sure the music industry has changed and this might be a tall order, but remember before UYI came out Axl said that they have recorded the album the way they want it and will promote it the same way, they wouldnt care if they sold 1 copy , as long as its their vision. GnR are gonna do it their way, which seperates them from the rest and which is why we love them so.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: